• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Pointe questions

holdem

TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be staying in the lock-off portion of one of the condos this winter. I think it has a small fridge and microwave oven. Wondering if it has a toaster, coffee maker, and pots and pans etc. Are any of the pools heated? Are there hot tubs by all the pools? Also think they have BBQ grills. Lastly do they have wireless? Thanks.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be staying in the lock-off portion of one of the condos this winter. I think it has a small fridge and microwave oven. Wondering if it has a toaster, coffee maker, and pots and pans etc. Are any of the pools heated? Are there hot tubs by all the pools? Also think they have BBQ grills. Lastly do they have wireless? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure they have everything you listed in the mini kitchen. There are hot tubs. Not sure if pools are heated since we there there the last week of August/

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

There was a mini fridge, tableware for 4 and a microwave. I think there was a toaster and cutting board. No pots and pans as there is no stove to cook with them on.

Reaction score
We are at Ocean Pointe now in a 3 bedroom --my father is in the lock off portion,
it has a mini fridge, microwave, toaster, coffer maker, service for four and no pots or pans. The pool by the Cobia and Pompano Bldg. is warmer than the main pool. All the pools now are saline treated water instead chlorine. There are 2 hot tubs, one at each pool and one at the Kingfish pool also.
The property has wireless internet also and BBQ grills.
Have a great vacation.

holdem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I think there are 4 buildings? Does each have it's own pool and hot tub? Is there a tiki bar? It sounds like if we want to fix any meals we'll have to bring items to cook with.

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Tiki bar. You should get a small styrofoam cooler as there are ice machines in the parking area.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Thanks for the reply's. I think there are 4 buildings? Does each have it's own pool and hot tub? Is there a tiki bar? It sounds like if we want to fix any meals we'll have to bring items to cook with.

There area 5 buildings and three main pools. Kingfish (building 5) sets off by itself seperated from the main resort by a big pink condo building. It has it's own pool, hot tub, fitness center and tiki bar.

While we have been to Ocean Pointe 5 out of the last 6 years, I have no pictures of the studio LO unit. We generally prefer to LO and exchange that portion of the unit. The one time we did stay in the LO portion, I didn't think to take pictures. I have a TON of pics of Ocean Pointe going back to our original stay in 2001 if you'd like to view them. Just click on the link in my signature below and it will take you to our Webshots page that has all our timeshare pictures on it or click on one of the pictures below and it will take you directly to our Webshots Ocean Pointe photo albums.

holdem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great pictures. My wife will love the spa's. So is there one tiki bar or two? Is it open everyday?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Great pictures. My wife will love the spa's. So is there one tiki bar or two? Is it open everyday?

There are two, but to go from one to another requires a car ride or a long walk along the street or beach.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 2 tiki bars: one @ Sailfish pool (the building @ the north end of OP) and one @ Kingfish pool (the building @ the south end of OP). The one @ Sailfish has "live" music, burgers, fries, chicken fingers..stuff like that. The one @ Kingfish is quiet & the food is really bad (do not order the nachos! I think they use Cheese Whiz!). It's a misnomer to call the one @ Kingfish a tiki bar...it's just a little kiosk that serves drinks & really bad food! It's about a 5-6 minute walk b/t the 2 if you walk inside OP grounds. When I walk inside OP, I crossover @ The Pink Building. To go b/t Sailfish & Kingfish I sometimes go outside OP grounds & I walk along the road. Sometimes I walk along the beach. Beach takes the longest. Road is the shortest but not by much. Going along the "inside" OP route is in b/t the "road" route & the "beach" route in terms of time.:cool:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
There are two, but to go from one to another requires a car ride or a long walk along the street or beach.

Requires a car ride or a long walk? Come on, it's got to be less than 1/8 of a mile between Kingfish and the main complex. There is only one condo building between them. I walk this on a daily basis when we're at the resort. It would almost take more time to get into the car, drive down to Kingfish, park and get out than it does to just walk the distance in the first place.

I'll agree that it might be a pain to make that walk if you're in Kingfish and want a cup of Starbucks coffee in the morning but, unless it's rainnig it really a rather pleasant walk along the beach or even down the street.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP is laid out lengthwise along the beach. From the north edge of Sailfish to the south edge of Kingfish it's a little over 1/4 mile (1500') in a straight line. Walking distance from the lobby of Kingfish to the main Tiki bar is just under 1/4 mile (1288'). 1/8 of a mile sounds like a long way but it's actually only 660'. I agree with dougp26364, it's a very pleasant walk. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Unless walking is a problem I wouldn't rule out the Kingfish Bldg.

There are three hot tubs, one at Sailfish, one at Cobia and one at Kingfish. I'm not sure if the pools are heated or not but I'll check next week when I arrive. Enjoy your stay. I've been going there since 2003 and I've only met one guest who didn't like it.

I don't want to start another thread as to which bldg. is best but my choice for a L/O unit would by high floor in Kingfish. The L/O units seemed a little bigger there and the view from the non ocean front units is the best in the resort IMO.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
1/4 mile? Heck, I'm in better shape than I thought I was. Guess I'll have another donut this morning. ;)

Reaction score
Ocean Pointe/Oceana Palms tour

We are at Ocean Pointe now and it has been very chilly here the past 2 days --55 in the mornings and only a high of 69 during the last 2 days and breezy. Tomorrow the warm weather should be returning.
We took the tour of Oceana Palms this morning and got 15,000 pts., it was the last day for that amount and as of tomorrow it goes down to 10,000 pts.
The new property looks beautiful, with a gold week oceanview starting at $25,900 and oceanfront starting at $34,900. Very upscale decor, valet service, bell hops for luggage, full service restaurant on the property, huge pool, 2 saunas, oceanview exercise room, kids room with ice cream bar & pizza service and teen surf shack for activities, oversize balconies with a table and lounge chairs.---they seemed to have really thought of everything in Oceana Palms. First bldg. will open in 2010.

Last edited:

holdem

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Live" music at the tiki bar sounds great. Do they have it everyday? Is it year round? Thanks again.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
"Live" music at the tiki bar sounds great. Do they have it everyday? Is it year round? Thanks again.

They've always had some form of live music when we've been there and that's always been in November or December. Sometimes it's better than others. I would never consider it something to write home about. Last year they had a guy with a guitar that favored Jimmy Buffett songs but didn't always remember the words.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

We're at OP now. The activities schedule doesn't have live music every night. From what I can tell glancing at it, it appears there is live music 3 out of the 7 nights. The guy down by the On the Rocks tiki bar sounds pretty decent.

holdem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is he playing during the day or in the evening? Thanks.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Is he playing during the day or in the evening? Thanks.

Sunday 5-9
Monday 5-8
Weds 12:00 (doesn't list a stop time)
Weds 5-9

holdem

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm exchanging in with II. I'm not a marriott owner. Can I request which building I would like to be in? Thanks.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I'm exchanging in with II. I'm not a marriott owner. Can I request which building I would like to be in? Thanks.

Because Ocean Pointe has a very high owner occupancy, especially during Platinum season, it's best to request 2 or 3 buildings in order of preference. You may have better luck with placement in a studio unit as it seems there are enough owners the LO their studio's and then put them up for exchange. I'd like to think you have a better chance of getting a decent floor in one of the buidlings of your choice if you give them options on the building.

For the most part, units on the south side will get the sun while units facing north will be in the shade. Kingfish, while seperated from the main resort by a big pink full ownership condo (it's not that far of a walk) has lower growth foilage around it (fewer tall palm trees) and gives you the best chance for a view of the ocean IMO. Sailfish and Dophin are closer to the family pools and are better if you have kids IMO.

holdem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I just keep thinking of more questions. I enjoy walking on the beach. Wondering if the sand is hard packed for easy walking or is it loose? Thanks.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sand is dark brown & hard packed close to the ocean but "loose" farther back. Depending on what times of day you walk, there will be variance. Sometimes it "slopes". If the tide is out, you can have a great walk on hard packed sand....for miles!:cool: When will you be there?

Smooth Air

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Sand is dark brown & hard packed close to the ocean but "loose" farther back. Depending on what times of day you walk, there will be variance. Sometimes it "slopes". If the tide is out, you can have a great walk on hard packed sand....for miles!:cool: When will you be there?

Smooth Air

I might call it firmer but I wouldn't call it hard packed sand. Now HHI has hard packed sand. IMO, hard packed would be sand you could ride a bike on. While walking in the surf or just above it, my feet still sink into the sand 1/4 to 1/2 inch and I've always been able to see my foot prints very easily.

Still, walking on the beach is easy and I enjoy a walk every morning when we're at Ocean Pointe. Every now and again I walk from Ocean Pointe down to the new Oceana Palms, which is around a 1 mile walk. I believe the beach would go at least a couple more miles if I wanted to walk that far round trip. For me 1 mile down and 1 mile back is plenty.

Last edited: