• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Pointe and the Florida Club

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I'm trying to fully understand how a Legacy Grande Vista EOY 2 bedroom lock off trades with the other Florida Club resorts without the use of II. I want to mainly stay at Grande Vista and BeachPlace towers in the Platinum summer season and week 11 (mid March) in the Platinum season of Ocean Pointe. From my understanding, if I wanted to stay at Ocean Pointe in the summer, I'd have to use II since summer is in the Gold season.

Is a studio or one bedroom still available 6 months out during mid march in Ocean Pointe by making a Florida Club reservation? What about Beach Place Towers in the summer?

I mainly own Club Wyndham resale at Wyndham's Grand Desert, so my maintenance fees are about $300 cheaper than what Marriott's Grand Chateau costs for a 2 bedroom. I just want to add a few Marriott resorts to my rotation for variety, but prefer Wyndham's system for affordability. I don't want to have to pay any II fees, DC trust maintenance fees or have a high buy in cost. I just want to pay the $1,486 maintenance fees + $90 lock off fee EOY and that's it. Will a EOY Grande Vista deed that includes Florida Club work for this purpose?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I have a 2BR Grande Vista gold season and so far have had no trouble exchanging into the summer season at Ocean Pointe through Florida Club. I've also been able to exchange back into Grande Vista summer through II without any trouble, too.

Your difficult one is the week 11 at Ocean Pointe...that's a very high demand week so I doubt you'd get in with a platinum from GV. There are many multiple-week OP owners that swallow up a lot of the winter and early spring platinum weeks.

EDIT: I just re-read your last paragraph - for what you're looking to pay each year, if you don't use II you'll only get a like-for-like trade in Florida Club, so studio for studio, etc., without an option to upgrade, so one week will only get you one week unless you lock off and do one week as a studio and one week as a 1 BR.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to note; Not all Grande Vista weeks belong to the Florida Club, so you need to be sure the week that you own does.

As correctly pointed out, using the Florida Club you will be reserving like for like, and you can only do it at the six month mark. In essence you may be better off using Request First in Interval International and if you can't get what you want by the six month mark then try the Florida Club. Using this method may give you a crack in obtaining what you want, and if Interval International is successful then you may be able snatch a larger sized Villa.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I just dont want to have to pay 154 for each trade and 99 for the membership. It feels super expensive for what you get compared to just staying at Bonnet Creek and Royal Vista through Wyndham.

Is summer easy to trade into beach place towers at the 6 month mark? It's stupid how you can't trade into ocean pointe with a platinum grande vista deed...but is week 11 all booked for studios as well at ocean pointe? Idc about room size, I can just bring a skillet or use the barbeque for my meals.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your take on II and the fees are off base. You will get significant value going that route. I have a 2BR Platinum lock off at Grande Vista and have been able to get 2 and 3 Bedroom units with my studio either directly on line or using an ongoing search. My most recent example was a studio for a 2BR Grande Ocean in platinum season with an ongoing search. If you lock off you can easily get a 2BR Beach Place in the summer. Grande Vista is easier still. Ocean Point in March may be tricky unless you will take a 1BR. Very few 2BR's get deposited into II. Mostly just studios and 1BR.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So with a 2BR Lock Off Grande Vista, you could lock off and get two 2BR units for $1500+90+159+159+99+198 (MF, Lock Off Fee, II Fee, Exchange Fee, Exchange Fee, Upgrade Fee, Upgrade Fee). This works out to $2,205. That is pretty steep, but okay if you can get prime weeks at Ocean Pointe and BeachPlace. It is cheaper than the MFs at each. This is what makes enrolled weeks so valuable since you only have the annual MF.

If you need to go to Ocean Pointe every week 11, then you need to own. You may also need to own multiple weeks to get the 13 month booking advantage. I wouldn't expect to get it on any regular basis with the Florida Club and as mentioned any use of the Florida Club is like for like.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I just dont want to have to pay 154 for each trade and 99 for the membership. It feels super expensive for what you get compared to just staying at Bonnet Creek and Royal Vista through Wyndham.

Is summer easy to trade into beach place towers at the 6 month mark? It's stupid how you can't trade into ocean pointe with a platinum grande vista deed...but is week 11 all booked for studios as well at ocean pointe? Idc about room size, I can just bring a skillet or use the barbeque for my meals.
March to Mid December is an easy trade into a Beachplace Towers Except holiday weeks...We love Beachplace...many bars and good restaurants within walking distance and the water taxi pick up is a block away...we enjoy taking the water taxi for an over night stay in Hollywood

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
So with a 2BR Lock Off Grande Vista, you could lock off and get two 2BR units for $1500+90+159+159+99+198 (MF, Lock Off Fee, II Fee, Exchange Fee, Exchange Fee, Upgrade Fee, Upgrade Fee). This works out to $2,205. That is pretty steep, but okay if you can get prime weeks at Ocean Pointe and BeachPlace. It is cheaper than the MFs at each. This is what makes enrolled weeks so valuable since you only have the annual MF.

If you need to go to Ocean Pointe every week 11, then you need to own. You may also need to own multiple weeks to get the 13 month booking advantage. I wouldn't expect to get it on any regular basis with the Florida Club and as mentioned any use of the Florida Club is like for like.
That's the math I use and just make sure whatever trade I get is worth more than $1100, which when you think about for a week in a good (if not prime) season in a good (if not prime) resort is a fantastic ROI.

You can get a platinum GV week for probably $1K right now and Marriott seems to be waiving ROFR on just about everything, so I wouldn't even consider acquisition costs. $2200/year for two really good weeks :thumbup:(but likely NOT week 11 at Ocean Pointe, unless you get a stroke of luck - which I'm not saying is impossible in II - but your summer weeks at Grande Vista and Beachplace would be likely).

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!

It's a good value if you NEED a 2 bedroom. I'm a very frugal person and usually go with the cheapest room type. The only thing I will pay extra for is ocean front, but a studio doesnt bug me because I'm mostly on the patio anyways when I'm at a beach resort. I also have no problem with bringing my own electric skillet/toaster oven for making meals.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

So as Dioxide pointed out, it will likely be difficult to get into Ocean Pointe for week 11 using the Florida Club.

If Ocean Pointe is your ultimate destination every year then you would be better off purchasing an Ocean Pointe Oceanview or Oceanfront week, and using the Florida Club benefits for when you desire to go to BeachPlace or Grande Vista. In my opinion it would be far easier using that scenario.

Right now is a good time to purchase resale weeks due to the lower threshold on ROFR (as opposed to three months ago).

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I would prefer Ocean Pointe in the summer, but the "platinum" season only has 3 weeks that actually match the school schedule: week 11,51 and 52. I don't understand why Florida Club doesnt let you trade down to gold when you own platinum. I want GV for the maintenance fees and it makes the most sense to own there since it's only an hour away.

Can you pay for an II account for once every 4 years? With an EOY deed, I was thinking of doing GV/BP in the summer of my use year, then two years later exchanging, meaning I would only use the Florida Club once every 4 years.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would prefer Ocean Pointe in the summer, but the "platinum" season only has 3 weeks that actually match the school schedule: week 11,51 and 52. I don't understand why Florida Club doesnt let you trade down to gold when you own platinum. I want GV for the maintenance fees and it makes the most sense to own there since it's only an hour away.

Can you pay for an II account for once every 4 years? With an EOY deed, I was thinking of doing GV/BP in the summer of my use year, then two years later exchanging, meaning I would only use the Florida Club once every 4 years.
You can just pay for an II account in years you need or want it. The problem however is that you need the account active when you deposit your week as well as when you want to travel. So if you deposit a 2020 week but want to travel in 2021, well you need two years of membership.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
If you have family or friends that could use Interval’s getaways, it is a great value in my opinion. We bought a multi year II platinum membership and our daughters love being able to use the getaways for Orlando (free guest certificates with platinum).

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
II also gives you Accommodation Certificates pretty often. They have limited use, but are worth more than nothing.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
If you have family or friends that could use Interval’s getaways, it is a great value in my opinion. We bought a multi year II platinum membership and our daughters love being able to use the getaways for Orlando (free guest certificates with platinum).

Are Sabal and Royal Palms available for cash getaways in the summer? If so, how much? I LOVE the World Center pool complex. The slides are so fun ^_^

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are Sabal and Royal Palms available for cash getaways in the summer? If so, how much? I LOVE the World Center pool complex. The slides are so fun ^_^
Yes- right now I can see all of the Orlando Marriotts available on II as getaways this summer.
June weeks at Sabal ( all 2 br) are $657 for the week, July & August are $897 for the week- holiday weeks more.
If you don’t need a 2 br there are some better deals at other resorts like some weeks in 1 br or studios at Lakeshore Reserve, Grande Vista, etc. for $367.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
You can just pay for an II account in years you need or want it. The problem however is that you need the account active when you deposit your week as well as when you want to travel. So if you deposit a 2020 week but want to travel in 2021, well you need two years of membership.

Thanks for the info. I think I will only keep it active when I need it. I have a free RCI account that I can use to stay at Hilton/DVC so I just didn't see the value in always keeping an II membership active as well. I didn't realize you were that same person as the "Destination Timeshare" Youtube channel. I subscribed. Wyndham owners should do the same thing. Maybe I will collaborate with a couple of other people on their forum to start up a Youtube channel for property/room tours. It's been really helpful for deciding if I want access to Marriott. The only think holding me back is that fact that Marriott is a lot more expensive than Wyndham for slightly higher quality. I usually only have to spend $700-$900 for a "platinum" week in a 1 bedroom using their system and I want to stay in that price range.

Yes- right now I can see all of the Orlando Marriotts available on II as getaways this summer.
June weeks at Sabal ( all 2 br) are $657 for the week, July & August are $897 for the week- holiday weeks more.
If you don’t need a 2 br there are some better deals at other resorts like some weeks in 1 br or studios at Lakeshore Reserve, Grande Vista, etc. for $367.

That's a pretty good deal! Is it usually that cheap during the summer last minute?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
II also gives you Accommodation Certificates pretty often. They have limited use, but are worth more than nothing.

Wow, I love ACs. $299 for a week in a 2BR isn't worth it? Tough crowd. I suppose being retired doesn't hurt. I use quite a few every year.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I love the AC’s. Just booked Grande Vista for off season in September for $257 for a two bedroom. I also like the platinum specials II occasionally has for $97 for a week in the overbuilt timeshare areas (Branson, Orlando, and Williamsburg). The AC’s are a good enough deal to just use them for long weekends if you live within driving distance.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks for the info. I think I will only keep it active when I need it. I have a free RCI account that I can use to stay at Hilton/DVC so I just didn't see the value in always keeping an II membership active as well. I didn't realize you were that same person as the "Destination Timeshare" Youtube channel. I subscribed. Wyndham owners should do the same thing. Maybe I will collaborate with a couple of other people on their forum to start up a Youtube channel for property/room tours. It's been really helpful for deciding if I want access to Marriott. The only think holding me back is that fact that Marriott is a lot more expensive than Wyndham for slightly higher quality. I usually only have to spend $700-$900 for a "platinum" week in a 1 bedroom using their system and I want to stay in that price range.
Thanks. Yes, Destination Timeshare is my YouTube channel. Thanks for the sub. I have a bunch of videos to work on and post of different resorts and room tours. I just seem to never be able to find the time to work on them.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Thanks. Yes, Destination Timeshare is my YouTube channel. Thanks for the sub. I have a bunch of videos to work on and post of different resorts and room tours. I just seem to never be able to find the time to work on them.

Based on your FL location and where you travel, I'm surprised you don't have some Club Wyndham points. It's the price that holds me back from Marriott because I'm comparing it to Wyndham. Even when I calculate owning a Grande Vista lock off, making 2 deposits and upgrading those deposits to a two bedroom, it still ends up being more expensive. Bonnet Creek, Reunion, Daytona Ocean Walk and the 4 ft. Lauderdale locations are on sale quite often (35% off). Also, I like being able to exchange into Saratoga Springs for about $1,000/week. I'm really considering adding Marriott though. I think prices are still going to drop even more over the next few months. I think I can probably get the lock off deed for $300-$500 if I wait another few months.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Based on your FL location and where you travel, I'm surprised you don't have some Club Wyndham points. It's the price that holds me back from Marriott because I'm comparing it to Wyndham. Even when I calculate owning a Grande Vista lock off, making 2 deposits and upgrading those deposits to a two bedroom, it still ends up being more expensive. Bonnet Creek, Reunion, Daytona Ocean Walk and the 4 ft. Lauderdale locations are on sale quite often (35% off). Also, I like being able to exchange into Saratoga Springs for about $1,000/week. I'm really considering adding Marriott though. I think prices are still going to drop even more over the next few months. I think I can probably get the lock off deed for $300-$500 if I wait another few months.
We bought all of our weeks before we moved down here. We are now MF adverse and don't want to increase annual obligations. So we will have to stick it out with what we have.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
We bought all of our weeks before we moved down here. We are now MF adverse and don't want to increase annual obligations. So we will have to stick it out with what we have.

Yea I had bought more points before COVID so my annual MF are going to be $3,200, but it gets me 9 trips a year in a 1 bedroom if I use all my points and wisely. I usually rent out a decent amount each year to cover most of my costs, but the resort I normally use for rentals (Bonnet Creek) is worthless until Disney opens back up. That's also why I'm eyeing up Grande Vista because I know I can easily break even if I split the lock off up into 2 rooms and throw both reservations on Redweek. The part that really annoys me about Marriott's MF is the weeks I use for Bonnet Creek cost me $600 to book and make me $1200 to rent out. Marriott you can BARELY make a profit.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to fully understand how a Legacy Grande Vista EOY 2 bedroom lock off trades with the other Florida Club resorts without the use of II. I want to mainly stay at Grande Vista and BeachPlace towers in the Platinum summer season and week 11 (mid March) in the Platinum season of Ocean Pointe. From my understanding, if I wanted to stay at Ocean Pointe in the summer, I'd have to use II since summer is in the Gold season.

Is a studio or one bedroom still available 6 months out during mid march in Ocean Pointe by making a Florida Club reservation? What about Beach Place Towers in the summer?

I mainly own Club Wyndham resale at Wyndham's Grand Desert, so my maintenance fees are about $300 cheaper than what Marriott's Grand Chateau costs for a 2 bedroom. I just want to add a few Marriott resorts to my rotation for variety, but prefer Wyndham's system for affordability. I don't want to have to pay any II fees, DC trust maintenance fees or have a high buy in cost. I just want to pay the $1,486 maintenance fees + $90 lock off fee EOY and that's it. Will a EOY Grande Vista deed that includes Florida Club work for this purpose?
You mentioned added a few MVC weeks. Orlando is easy to trade to, you may want to look at something else and trade to Orlando routinely. Don't focus solely on price, also consider the aggravation and likely chances of success, which I think you are. I probably wouldn't buy GV EOY as the only option unless I was simply going to use it all the time if I couldn't get the FL Club reservations. I wouldn't join II just for that week alone. You might want to consider Willow Ridge if you'll be exchanging, cheaper dues than LV and trades around the same. The draws that LV has over WR are that the 3 BR trades as a 2 BR & a 1 BR, the longer Platinum Season, the higher resort quality rating and the better situation if one decides to enroll later. The 3 BR benefits will be offset by the higher upfront price and higher dues.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I love ACs. $299 for a week in a 2BR isn't worth it? Tough crowd. I suppose being retired doesn't hurt. I use quite a few every year.
I never said it wasn't worth it. I use them alot also. My point maybe wasn't so clear. Each AC has a grid per month with geographies that you can go to if they are available. You never see any high season areas. To your point, if you can travel any time of the year you can get great deals. I often just use them for 3 or 4 nights given the price.