• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ocean Oak Rescinded and Resale

CXiRJS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good evening! I wanted to start by saying thanks to all those who post on here. My family recently finished our second stay at Ocean Oak on HHI by paying rack rate through Hilton direct. We got invited for a sales presentation (since we had stayed two weeks and have two more book for 2023 through Hilton - Not HGVC) and ended up signing a contract for a gold and platinum week. Total cost for the two weeks (19,200 points total) was about $94K. They threw in a bunch of bonus points that made us think we got a great deal, especially compared to the $700+/night rack rate we’ve been paying and expect to pay in 2023. The salesman actually told us about the cancellation clause because we were on the fence. Thankfully, we found TUGBBS the day after the purchase and promptly rescinded. No issues other than the salesman trying to reach out to us which we properly ignored based on advice here.

So…I’ve been doing lots of research and now have a better understanding of Price/pt and MF/pt. I think HGVC could work well for our family and save significantly over rack rate even after considering MFs. I’m looking at the Las Vegas resorts based on info here, but HHI is really where we’d plan to travel most years either in April or July based on work/school schedules. I’m worried about availability during the club booking window if we don’t own at Ocean Oak. There also don’t seem to be many Ocean Oak resales and those that exist are high price/pt. Any advice on whether to keep looking for what would likely be a higher cost Ocean Oak resale or should I be OK during the club booking window using a Vegas deed with minimum 11,200 points?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
There is competition for booking during peak season but, we don't own there and have a week booked in December, April 2023, and June 2023. You just need to book early. If you know that you want to stay there every year in July, then it would be much better to own there but it will is more expensive than Vegas and there is no guarantee that the resale purchase will pass ROFR.

CXiRJS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s good to know! I’m concerned about ROFR too. It seems like Strand Capital is pretty aggressive with buying back low priced deeds from what I’ve read and seen on rofr.net

I’m thinking of buying a Las Vegas deed to see how it works out for availability. Worst case, we can’t get HHI and use it at Myrtle Beach or Vegas and sell while looking for a OO deed.

Is my understanding correct that you can only book partial weeks during the club booking window even if you are owner in the right season? In other words, we tend to travel for 4-5 nights and would like to avoid the Saturday rush. Would we have to wait for club window anyways?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Is my understanding correct that you can only book partial weeks during the club booking window even if you are owner in the right season? In other words, we tend to travel for 4-5 nights and would like to avoid the Saturday rush. Would we have to wait for club window anyways?

Yup, you can only book 7 nights starting on Saturday with a home week reservation.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Welcome to TUG. You have already figured out many things about HGVC. IMO, booking Ocean Oak during club season is one of the toughest in the system. It is doable because several of us do just that. Myrtle Beach is much easier because you have 3 different resorts to pick from. You might want to read this recent thread on booking at Ocean Oak (you can not tell that from the title.)

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
That’s good to know! I’m concerned about ROFR too. It seems like Strand Capital is pretty aggressive with buying back low priced deeds from what I’ve read and seen on rofr.net

I’m thinking of buying a Las Vegas deed to see how it works out for availability. Worst case, we can’t get HHI and use it at Myrtle Beach or Vegas and sell while looking for a OO deed.

If you book during homeweek, that is 9 to 12 months out, you book a week in your exact unit and season using all your points. If you book during the club reservation window, less than 9 months, then you can book 3 or more nights with club points

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good evening! I wanted to start by saying thanks to all those who post on here. My family recently finished our second stay at Ocean Oak on HHI by paying rack rate through Hilton direct. We got invited for a sales presentation (since we had stayed two weeks and have two more book for 2023 through Hilton - Not HGVC) and ended up signing a contract for a gold and platinum week. Total cost for the two weeks (19,200 points total) was about $94K. They threw in a bunch of bonus points that made us think we got a great deal, especially compared to the $700+/night rack rate we’ve been paying and expect to pay in 2023. The salesman actually told us about the cancellation clause because we were on the fence. Thankfully, we found TUGBBS the day after the purchase and promptly rescinded. No issues other than the salesman trying to reach out to us which we properly ignored based on advice here.

So…I’ve been doing lots of research and now have a better understanding of Price/pt and MF/pt. I think HGVC could work well for our family and save significantly over rack rate even after considering MFs. I’m looking at the Las Vegas resorts based on info here, but HHI is really where we’d plan to travel most years either in April or July based on work/school schedules. I’m worried about availability during the club booking window if we don’t own at Ocean Oak. There also don’t seem to be many Ocean Oak resales and those that exist are high price/pt. Any advice on whether to keep looking for what would likely be a higher cost Ocean Oak resale or should I be OK during the club booking window using a Vegas deed with minimum 11,200 points?
Have you stayed at any other timeshare resorts in other systems? If you just stayed at a Hilton it is easy to focus on that, but there are many timeshare systems out there. I would suggest renting in a couple of other systems before going headlong into buying resale. You may find in the end that Hilton is perfect, but there is a big world of timesharing out there.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
holy smokes, grats on saving 94,000!

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy the weeks (not points) of your choice, in the season that you are most likely to vacaton, on the RESALE MARKET, at Marriott's GrandeOcean, next door.

You'll love GrandeOcean, and you'll love the other MVC resorts.

Luck was on your side, when you found TUG, and when you rescinded as quicky as you did.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own there. The best weeks are all platinum season. We have a good week. If you want to there w wet year you are right there are no resales for that place and reading in is hard as people they own usually go and book it a year out. I don’t see why they wanted to sell you a gold and a platinum week. The advice here is the best you’ll get. Unfortunately your picking a great resort that is small and hard to get. There are other places you can get into on the island though so don’t think hgvc is your only bet.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
We own there. The best weeks are all platinum season. We have a good week. If you want to there w wet year you are right there are no resales for that place and reading in is hard as people they own usually go and book it a year out. I don’t see why they wanted to sell you a gold and a platinum week. The advice here is the best you’ll get. Unfortunately your picking a great resort that is small and hard to get. There are other places you can get into on the island though so don’t think hgvc is your only bet.

I believe the OP wants to go twice every year and one of the weeks was in the gold season. That’s why they were purchasing a gold and platinum week. Smart thinking on the seasons, but way too money buying from HGVC.

They have been there forever, but there are 3 very high priced gold Ocean Oak deeds on Redweek.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at Ocean Oak twice and loved it. But it is a very hard to get into during summer and that is HGVC's only location on HHI. One of the nicest timeshares I have stayed in anywhere. So if you really want to stay there in the summer many times you will need to buy a platinum resale week.

I agree with another OP that suggested Marriott. You can buy deeded weeks still and they have many many great locations , and most HHI locations have a larger footprint than Ocean Oak (more rooms). If you own a Marriott week, you also have Marriott "preference" that allows you to book other Marriotts in Interval before anyone else (not Marriott) can book them (or course you have to book early).

You can also buy Marriott points resale, but the owners with lots of points have a booking advantage.

Last edited: