• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OCEAN CITY MD , Oceantime Non Compliant ADA Service Animal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
That may be the case, I was just wondering where it says this. The animal's presence can severely affect other guests with disabilities, who would consider the animal's air and dander excessively dirty. Or the vomiting is not excessive given the child's medical conditions.
Suggest you research ADA laws regarding Service Animals..the glitch is the Service Animal is trained and provides a Service to its owner, thus it is not a 'Pet" thus not subject to Pet fees..Any further clarification take it up with ADA or State of Md ,which has their own interpretations, but no fees for Service Animals.....I will post the results of my ADA complaint..it will take a while if Oceantime keeps their collective heads in the sand and wastes owners association money in a losing cause..All other, I repeat ALL other RCi timeshares in Ocean City, except 2 others managed by Paradise Realty Inc, all comply with ADA and charged no Pet Cleaning fees for Service Animals...so all 3 timeshares managed by Paradise, get ready to spend thousands of dollars unnecessarily...I guess everyone else is wrong???

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
Q12. Can hotels charge a cleaning fee for guests who have service animals?
No. Hotels are not permitted to charge guests for cleaning the hair or dander shed by a service animal. However, if a guest's service animal causes damages to a guest room, a hotel is permitted to charge the same fee for damages as charged to other guests.

The animal itself is the accommodation. You can't charge for what the law considers reasonable accommodation- which is what a service animal is.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggest you research ADA laws regarding Service Animals..the glitch is the Service Animal is trained and provides a Service to its owner, thus it is not a 'Pet" thus not subject to Pet fees..Any further clarification take it up with ADA or State of Md ,which has their own interpretations, but no fees for Service Animals.....I will post the results of my ADA complaint..it will take a while if Oceantime keeps their collective heads in the sand and wastes owners association money in a losing cause..All other, I repeat ALL other RCi timeshares in Ocean City, except 2 others managed by Paradise Realty Inc, all comply with ADA and charged no Pet Cleaning fees for Service Animals...so all 3 timeshares managed by Paradise, get ready to spend thousands of dollars unnecessarily...I guess everyone else is wrong???
Oh I forgot the monies collected for special pet cleaning are never done week to week like they should so where's that money going, makes you wonder!!!!!the units that contained dogs the week before never get cleaned before a next occupant..

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but where does the ADA state you don't have to pay a pet cleaning fee? If my special needs child vomits and defecates all over the room, am I exempt from paying for the cleaning under the ADA?
Is your special needs child a Service animal don't think so..the law is the law...just wait for how much these timeshares get sanctioned ,on top of court costs,attorneys fees etc..it would have been far cheaper to obey ADA..

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

I think they are waiting to see what the actual punishment is. If the result of the complain is they have to refund your cleaning cost and pay something nominal- say $100 per incident. My guess is they will continue and it might spread to other businesses. Especially if currently they have 20 people yearly claiming service dog and only 2 or 3 go the step to file a complaint. I remember when I was younger I saw a sign on an elevator about not smoking and the if prosecuted the person could be subject to a fee of up to $10. For that a penalty like that, you might as well just smoke if you feel like it. The ADA itself doesn't as far as I know specify specific punishment for violating and the fee could be very large or very small or not at all. As I have been saying I would love to hear the result of your complaint. You seem confident that you will make out well. Paradise properties probably thinks they will make out ahead. I guess we will see.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they are waiting to see what the actual punishment is. If the result of the complain is they have to refund your cleaning cost and pay something nominal- say $100 per incident. My guess is they will continue and it might spread to other businesses. Especially if currently they have 20 people yearly claiming service dog and only 2 or 3 go the step to file a complaint. I remember when I was younger I saw a sign on an elevator about not smoking and the if prosecuted the person could be subject to a fee of up to $10. For that a penalty like that, you might as well just smoke if you feel like it. The ADA itself doesn't as far as I know specify specific punishment for violating and the fee could be very large or very small or not at all. As I have been saying I would love to hear the result of your complaint. You seem confident that you will make out well. Paradise properties probably thinks they will make out ahead. I guess we will see.
Thanks for reply. Paradise has a scam going charging 125 for pet cleaning fees and then never cleaning the units properly..same old vacuuming by change over staff..Paradise puts over 7500 year into the coffers without doing anything special..owners are allowed dogs only, up to 2 at 125 each..Service animal population I do not know but the law is the law and no matter they can not charge a fee for a Service Animal..I wonder if I was not an owner would they turn me away so FHA is probably involved as well as ADA. I can file a private suit also can get State of MD involved if I wanted too. Giving Oceantime a break to defend just one suit at a time..multiple fronts would kill their budget...ADA sanctions will do enough damage and lesson to be learned ..info Paradise at an annual meeting of Oceantime years ago..expressed verbally how he hated to comply with all this ADA stuff,railings,tub bars etc..it costs money...well yeah now it is going to cost a bundle for non compliance with ADA....thanks again penalty is thousands of dollars not just 100 per..just researched violation of Title III is 55,000 to 75,000 dollars, second offense 110,000 to 150,000 ...realy stupid on Oceantimes part..

Last edited:

ocowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I understand this thread is about an individual's pursuit of legal rights, I do question how the discussion of ADA issues is not political, and therefore not subject to being closed by a moderator?

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because ADA is an ACT that we are posting .The clarification of what that Act says is not political...nice try !!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Although I understand this thread is about an individual's pursuit of legal rights, I do question how the discussion of ADA issues is not political, and therefore not subject to being closed by a moderator?

Legal rights/protections given by the government to timeshare owners users (including disabled ones) has to be about as relevant to issues discussed on TUG as any thread could be.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
@gumbow719, just saw your review on Trip Advisor. You were more kind than I expected with your rating. As a relative newcomer to timesharing, I had intended to use some of my points for beach trips to Delmarva/Ocean City. But every time I start planning, it looks like I have better resorts and availability in VA beach. Mind if I ask what you like more about OC — if that is the case? Less urbanized area around it? I will eventually have a timeshare experience somewhere in the area just to satisfy my curiosity.
Oops missed your post. Ocean City is best visited in spring and fall less crowded..install Google Earth on your computer and search Ocean city,md..best way to visit anywhere to get lay of the land..hope this helps..many restaurants..good beachy timeshares, not the Ritz but very comfortable

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
All timeshares are not the same.
ADA does not apply everywhere.
Wrong they are for timeshares..latest info arrived early there were pets from previous week, no special cleaning as per pet fees...so beware allergy suffers management is collecting fee without providing service..that is fraud in my line of work..next stop States Attorneys office for Wicomico County...Now Oceantime will fight ADA on Service Dog violations and a separate fraud charge, when will they learn..???

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dumb question why does the resort charged for pet cleaning and then do not do anything special after a pet had stay in the ts unit?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dumb question why does the resort charged for pet cleaning and then do not do anything special after a pet had stay in the ts unit?

Apparently per a previous post it seems like the OP know nothing special is done because they have never seen anything special being done. I own at Ocean time and I've never seen them do any cleaning because I check out by 10 and don't hide in the closet or stuck to the ceiling like spiderman watching to see what they do when they clean. Apparently the OP has watched after a pet stay and after a non pet stay at the resort.

Not gonna happen....if I do not bring the ADA somebody else will...the owner of Paradise , the management company of Oceantime once expressed his displeasure for the ADA and the rules he has to comply with at an annual meeting...Now he will hate them more...oh and the cleaning fee is for special cleaning which is never done after a pet occupies the units..5 dogs recently, stayed on site saw no special cleaning...so where is the money going, back into budget to balance the books..I have asked for who and what bills were submitted for this supposedly cleaning fee? Over a year later, no answer because there is no pet cleaning just routine turnover vacuming....

Oh I forgot the monies collected for special pet cleaning are never done week to week like they should so where's that money going, makes you wonder!!!!!the units that contained dogs the week before never get cleaned before a next occupant..

Thanks for reply. Paradise has a scam going charging 125 for pet cleaning fees and then never cleaning the units properly..same old vacuuming by change over staff..Paradise puts over 7500 year into the coffers without doing anything special..owners are allowed dogs only, up to 2 at 125 each..Service animal population I do not know but the law is the law and no matter they can not charge a fee for a Service Animal..I wonder if I was not an owner would they turn me away so FHA is probably involved as well as ADA. I can file a private suit also can get State of MD involved if I wanted too. Giving Oceantime a break to defend just one suit at a time..multiple fronts would kill their budget...ADA sanctions will do enough damage and lesson to be learned ..info Paradise at an annual meeting of Oceantime years ago..expressed verbally how he hated to comply with all this ADA stuff,railings,tub bars etc..it costs money...well yeah now it is going to cost a bundle for non compliance with ADA....thanks again penalty is thousands of dollars not just 100 per..just researched violation of Title III is 55,000 to 75,000 dollars, second offense 110,000 to 150,000 ...realy stupid on Oceantimes part..

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Answer is simply to make money pretending to special clean after a pet is in a unit...Paradise put revenues estimated for 2019 in the budget to be 7500 dollars, and they are special cleaning nothing. Pet units need to be steam cleaned or shampooed, yet nothing other then normal weekly vacuuming is being done...$$$$$$ When I asked Paradise for documentation they ignored my request and I too am an owner..Paradise will not let you contact the Board or anyone about anything..At the March meeting somebody please bring this up.!!!!!!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Answer is simply to make money pretending to special clean after a pet is in a unit...Paradise put revenues estimated for 2019 in the budget to be 7500 dollars, and they are special cleaning nothing. Pet units need to be steam cleaned or shampooed, yet nothing other then normal weekly vacuuming is being done...$$$$$$ When I asked Paradise for documentation they ignored my request and I too am an owner..Paradise will not let you contact the Board or anyone about anything..At the March meeting somebody please bring this up.!!!!!!
Sad for whatever disability you have, it clearly consumes you.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Sad for whatever disability you have, it clearly consumes you.

To each his own. That is not my take away from this thread. To everyone with a disability that deserves to be treated fairly ... thank heavens society as a whole (through laws) has spoken and someone like @gumbow719 is there to make sure rights are protected.

It is not earth shattering to me that those seeking to make money in the hospitality industry would charge the rank and file a pet cleaning fee and not do any extra cleaning as a matter of routine for pets.

But said profiteer deserves a special place in hell that are in all likelihood illegally (and in all certainty, amorally) charging handicapped folks a pet fee for service animals just to line their pockets (they are not even entitled under the law to collect it if they do a special cleaning.)

I am all about using TUG to minimize my timeshare costs. But I draw the line at wishing for HOAs to save a buck or two by screwing over the handicapped.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago,
We had two prime weeks reserved at Ocean Time..

One for the last week of June and the other for the week of 4th of July.
When we checked in, we found the carpet in the unit to be wet & slippery!

They had just cleaned the carpet
earlier that day and it was not dry.
I almost fell a couple of times.

The unit had a pet odor and a strong
odor from the carpet cleaning solution.

We contacted the office and was told the carpet had been cleaned
after a family with a pet stayed in the unit. It was a hot and humid
day and even with air conditioning everything still felt moist & wet.

Management was unable to move us
but offered to exchange the sheets & linens.

We checked out early the next morning, losing two weeks vacation.
I deeded my weeks back and only spent one miserable night there.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Miss Marty,Hopefully you got some money for prime deedback. Even now you probably could have sold those deeds for $1000+ and several years back you probably could have gotten $2000-$4000 per deed.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dumb Question #2. Is it false advertising when a timeshare resort is stating that they will clean the villa / unit after someone with a pet have stay in the villa/unit?

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dumb Question #2. Is it false advertising when a timeshare resort is stating that they will clean the villa / unit after someone with a pet have stay in the villa/unit?
No they State in their Welcoming letter"This fee is to help with dander, hair, and extermination charge due to allergies of owners and other guests" but THEY DO NOT EXTERMINATE ANYTHING, they take the 125 fee and do just normal weekly cleaning of units..they DO NOT use the money for exterminating anything..Big Scam !!!

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago,
We had two prime weeks reserved at Ocean Time..

One for the last week of June and the other for the week of 4th of July.
When we checked in, we found the carpet in the unit to be wet & slippery!

They had just cleaned the carpet
earlier that day and it was not dry.
I almost fell a couple of times.

The unit had a pet odor and a strong
odor from the carpet cleaning solution.

We contacted the office and was told the carpet had been cleaned
after a family with a pet stayed in the unit. It was a hot and humid
day and even with air conditioning everything still felt moist & wet.

Management was unable to move us
but offered to exchange the sheets & linens.

We checked out early the next morning, losing two weeks vacation.
I deeded my weeks back and only spent one miserable night there.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realy doubt it !!!! I have done surveillances on the building and no steam cleaning what so ever..maybe just maybe they did a unit..Time does not allow them to properly steam clean where all pets are from week to week. They do not have spare units to assign waiting for rugs to dry..they are too small...Want definitive proof ask for cleaning bill's, then contact the cleaning company to make sure the invoices aren't bogus..To date I as an owner requested that information and they have not provided the information, if they had nothing to hide they would comply...interesting isn't it!! It is a CASH COW !!

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not false advertising it is billing for services not rendered..just like you take your car in for oil change, you get car back ..you later check the oil it is black..they never changed it but billed for it. Billing for services not rendered is fraud..

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really don't think someone renting a timeshare week makes them equivalent to a "hotel" (public accommodation) under ADA. If you come across the ACTUAL ADA law/guidelines, please share. Did you know that Ocean Time only allows owners to bring a dog normally, not renters or RCI traders? Are you an Ocean Time owner, or did they accommodate your service animal? As an owner at Ocean Time, I want the management company to follow the law, but you haven't convinced me yet that they are in violation of anything for our timeshare situation.
Tired of posting the laws of ADA....explain this, every timeshare we have stayed at complies with ADA regarding Service Animals..no charge in anyway for that Animal. Have you read my posts Oceantime/Paradise charges pet cleaning fees for owners pets as well as illegal charging Service Animals BUT the catch is they are not exterminating the units that contained the pets on a weekly use basis thus they pocket the fee and do not clean for dander,pet hair etc..while charging 125 that is illegal because we are paying for a Service that was not rendered thus fraud, needless to mention not very healthy for an allergy sufferer...yes I am an owner and if you are as well I would ask at the March annual meeting for the accountability of charging and not cleaning per charge..by the way when Oceantime loses you can thank Paradise and the Board for burying their heads in the sand..by the way I do not have to convince anyone of anything..The ADA Will do that through its sanctions..

Status
Not open for further replies.