• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

occupancy tax?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
For timeshare owners? Just got back from Ko Olina and hit with an $8.89 per day tax I don't remember this last time I went.

Last edited:

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, a transient occupancy tax is charged by all Hawaii timeshares.

barefootnAR

Reaction score
Are another way to say it, Hawaii has the timeshare industry collect an Hawaii occupancy tax from the person who is occupying the unit.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it true the Maui Mayor is considering doubling the occupancy tax for Arkansas red-necks staying on Maui??

:hysterical:

Sterling

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Hmmm. So I pay property tax already, but now I have to pay a transient tax because I am not a permanent resident?

What if I just bought a condo over there and vacationed part time?

Another way to stick the tax burden to the timeshare owners....

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Hmmm. So I pay property tax already, but now I have to pay a transient tax because I am not a permanent resident?

I believe they also have a non-resident property owners tax that is substantially higher than resident owners.

Essentially, if you can't vote, you get stuck with the bill. The same thing happens in other cities with taxes on things like rental cars, where the price is often 50% higher than the cost of the car due to all the taxes and fee's tacked onto the final bill.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hmmm, we paid $4.12/day tax on for our two week stay on Maui. Wonder why the difference? We are owners at the resort, but weren't staying during the week we own.

Honestly, I didn't think it was bad. I've stay other places with a much higher per day fee.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
As I recall, this occupancy tax was driven largely by the hotel industry's trade association because they argued (lobbied) that they were at a disadvantage with timeshares because they (hotels) had to charge this fee driving up their per night stay costs. The Hawaiian legislature enacted the tax for timeshare occupancy several years ago (at least five or six . . . maybe longer).

P.S. The fee is assessed based on the size of the timeshare unit. In 2007, the fee was $11.42 for a studio/one bedroom unit and $31.70 for a two bedroom unit (for the week). I don't have the numbers handy since then.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The TAT varies from resort to resort because it's calculated on the fair market rental value. The fair market rental value is calculated based on the maintenance fees. At the Westin Ka'anapali the TAT varies from about $6 - to about $14 per day.

I believe it is currently 9.25%, and I think it was implemented in 1998 at 7.25%.

Here is a download from the state of Hawaii with more info. -
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yU_7GkYJVPboxnJaw&sig2=4kJoUwD5xXxj9iRlhE7IGA

Last edited:

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
I just paid $11 per day at the Maui Marriott 2 bedroom OV in the new towers.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think that's been in place for at least 10 years. I seem to remember paying it during our first timeshare trip to Hawaii in 2001 but I could be wrong.

I think with hotels, you expect extra taxes over the room rate. It's a little more obvious with timeshares.

dsyrcle

TUG Member
Reaction score
For timeshare owners? Just got back from Ko Olina and hit with an $8.89 per day tax I don't remember this last time I went.
We just returned from The Hanalei Bay Resort and had to pay a tax of $11.00 per day on a 2 bedroom unit.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
The TAT varies from resort to resort because it's calculated on the fair market rental value. The fair market rental value is calculated based on the maintenance fees. At the Westin Ka'anapali the TAT varies from about $6 - to about $14 per day.

I believe it is currently 9.25%, and I think it was implemented in 1998 at 7.25%.

Here is a download from the state of Hawaii with more info. -
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yU_7GkYJVPboxnJaw&sig2=4kJoUwD5xXxj9iRlhE7IGA

Denise thanks for the clarification & correction. I'm wondering if the implementation has been staggered based on the TS resort figuring it out as my first trip to Hawaii in a TS back in 2000, I paid no occupancy fee at Paniolo Greens on the Big Island.

Oluolukeakua

Reaction score
Occupancy Taxes...Since January 1, 1999

Aloha All!

After some research, the State of Hawaii started charging the timeshare occupancy tax to the person who occupies the unit as of January 1, 1999. The amount varies from property to property since the amount is based on the fair market value of the unit occupied. They have a lot of information on the State of Hawaii's Fact Sheet regarding the TOT at: http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/taxfacts/tf98-04.pdf

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
This is the tax that timeshare owners get to pay for saving Hawaii's bacon every time there is an economic downturn and hotel occupancy declines.

Some thanks :ignore:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It isn't a flat rate - the tax varies by resort and unit size - you will have to ask the resort.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It is better than the new tax USVI just implemented, they wanted $30/day, but they passed a $25/day tax for timeshare occupants. No variation for size or value.

I expect the Marriotts which have some of the highest MFs to have the highest tax, since it is calculated based on some formula off MF for the unit type/size you are in.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

True, but remember--you are not a resident of Hawaii and, therefore, neither a voter or even a potential voter. If you're not a constituent, you're an easy target for junk fees and taxes. And Hawaii loves its taxes.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I believe it has been in effect since before Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club even opened. The amounts have steadily increased overt the years, however.

Kapolei

Reaction score
9.25% x half daily maintenance according to pdf I just read from tax dept... sorry my link is bad

Resorts need to take care of this.

It is not exactly a double tax. Counties take your property tax. State takes this tax.

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score

The County would tax you on property. The state would not receive taxes from you. If you rent the condo to transients, then there would be a transient accommodation tax.

Working people in Hawaii share in paying for schools, parks, roads and so on. This maintains a quality of life comparable to other US locations. You can certainly find places with equal beauty in other countries with cheaper on the ground costs. Some people come to Hawaii because they want to have the beauty plus remain in the USA.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is better than the new tax USVI just implemented, they wanted $30/day, but they passed a $25/day tax for timeshare occupants. No variation for size or value.

I expect the Marriotts which have some of the highest MFs to have the highest tax, since it is calculated based on some formula off MF for the unit type/size you are in.

Was thinking the same thing, Sandy..

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
i don't like the transient occupancy tax, and I don't think it is fair since timeshare owners already pay property tax since they so own a share of property. I do pay it gladly since I love being in Hawaii so I will deal with it.

However, there are some other tax rates I don't agree with which don't personally cost me negatively but effect lower income Hawaii residents negatively. Supermarket food is taxed just the same as restaurant food and non food items that are purchased. In NY supermarket food is NOT taxed. The lower income Hawaiian residents spend a greater portion of their income on supermarket food than higher income residents or tourists.

Also, property taxes are very low compared to the property taxes where I live. The teachers get paid less than half of the salaries of the teachers where I live. The public schools where I live are far superior to the public schools in Hawaii. Higher income families in Hawaii send their children to private schools so they don't care about the quality of the public schools and don't want to raise the property taxes. Furthermore, the low property taxes support the high real estate values in Hawaii. The real estate investment carrying costs are drastically reduced by the low property taxes making purchases of multiple million dollar condos very attractive.