• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

O‘ahu man drowns at Hanakapi‘ai Beach

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I thought the road to Haena is closed due to landslide? Even if it’s open, this is quite a hike on Kalalau trail. I am surprised to read that the beach was crowed.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The hike to Hanakapi'ai Beach is quite popular. I've done it a number of times. It's roughly a half-dry hike out and back. When I've done it there has always been a lot of people on the trail.

There is some up and down getting there, though, so on a hot day the beach is quite inviting. That's probably why there's apparently about two or three drownings per year there. Even in the summer when the ocean is calmer, that beach is quite rough - if I recall correctly there isn't a reef offshore at that location, so the waves hit the shore full force.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Here's some pictures I took along the trail in March 10 years ago. The waves breaking on the beach looked particularly hazardous then, and none of the hikers were going near it.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Art - you sure know how to make a guy miss Hawai'i. Can't wait till August when we make our annual visit.

Your shot of this sign sums thing up. And the notches are from ten years ago ----

1618100517098.png

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
About 5 years ago we did the Hike to the Beach and then continued to the Waterfall. From Ke'e Beach it it about 1 mile mainly up hill to a beautiful Lookout from where you can see a large section of the Napali Coast Line. Then it is about 1 more mile mainly downhill to Hanakapi'ai Beach. Some of the steps down where 12" to 15". So your knees can take a pounding. It helps if you have Trek Sticks. Then it is about 2 miles up to the Waterfall. You cross the stream several times. Some people try to leap from rock to rock. Saw one serious leg injury from a miss judged leap. We just waded across the stream each time. If you decide to go into the pool at the base of the Waterfall wear water shoes or diving booties. The rocks can be very sharp. I swam behind the Waterfall. Remember to take plenty of water, some food, and bug repellant. So it is 8 miles round trip. It took us 8 hours. But we spent over 30 minutes at the Beach and more than an hour at the Waterfall. If you forget your bug repellant and the bugs are bad find a Ginger Flower. Break it off, turn it upside down and squeeze the fluid from the Flower. Rub it on all exposed skin. It makes a good natural bug repellant. Learned this in Fiji from a Fijian.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
About 5 years ago we did the Hike to the Beach and then continued to the Waterfall. From Ke'e Beach it it about 1 mile mainly up hill to a beautiful Lookout from where you can a large section of the Napali Coast Line. Then it is about 1 more mile mainly downhill to Hanakapi'ai Beach. Some of the steps down where 12" to 15". So your knees can take a pounding. It helps if you have Trek Sticks. Then it is about 2 miles up to the Waterfall. You cross the stream several times. Some people try to leap from rock to rock. Saw one serious leg injury from a miss judged leap. We just waded across the stream each time. If you decide to go into the pool at the base of the Waterfall wear water shoes or diving booties. The rocks can be very sharp. I swam behind the Waterfall. Remember to take plenty of water, some food, and bug repellant. So it is 8 miles round trip. It took us 8 hours. But we spent over 30 minutes at the Beach and more than an hour at the Waterfall. If you forget your bug repellant and the bugs are bad find a Ginger Flower. Break it off, turn it upside down and squeeze the fluid from the Flower. Rub it on all exposed skin. It makes a good natural bug repellant. Learned this in Fiji from a Fijian.
Yep. I figure the beach and back as a half-day. Waterfall and back is a full day.

The pic below is from my first hike to the falls in 2004 with DD. That's her sitting on the rock.

1618104226444.png

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 5 years ago we did the Hike to the Beach and then continued to the Waterfall. From Ke'e Beach it it about 1 mile mainly up hill to a beautiful Lookout from where you can a large section of the Napali Coast Line. Then it is about 1 more mile mainly downhill to Hanakapi'ai Beach. Some of the steps down where 12" to 15". So your knees can take a pounding. It helps if you have Trek Sticks. Then it is about 2 miles up to the Waterfall. You cross the stream several times. Some people try to leap from rock to rock. Saw one serious leg injury from a miss judged leap. We just waded across the stream each time. If you decide to go into the pool at the base of the Waterfall wear water shoes or diving booties. The rocks can be very sharp. I swam behind the Waterfall. Remember to take plenty of water, some food, and bug repellant. So it is 8 miles round trip. It took us 8 hours. But we spent over 30 minutes at the Beach and more than an hour at the Waterfall. If you forget your bug repellant and the bugs are bad find a Ginger Flower. Break it off, turn it upside down and squeeze the fluid from the Flower. Rub it on all exposed skin. It makes a good natural bug repellant. Learned this in Fiji from a Fijian.
Good description. I would add that despite having good water shoes, I found the rocks on the trail to the waterfall incredibly slippery. At some point I took them off and seemed to have better traction. FWIW

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good description. I would add that despite having good water shoes, I found the rocks on the trail to the waterfall incredibly slippery. At some point I took them off and seemed to have better traction. FWIW
And I would add to be sure that you bring enough water on the hike.

During the hike in 2004, when I took the above picture, it was Kona weather in August - little to no breeze, temps about 90, and humid, so my need for water was way up. I started pacing myself with water on the way to the falls. I could feel my core heating up. I spent time in the pool at the falls to get my core cooled, and at almost every stream crossing on the return, I would take and immerse myself in the water for about fifteen minutes to cool down. Shortly after leaving Hanakapi‘ai Beach toward Ke'e Beach, there was a spot along a cliff side where there was a trickle of water coming down. I figured there must be a spring not too far above us on the hillside, so that was likely a good source of fresh water. I was getting desperate because I could tell I was moving beyond heat stress. So I refilled my water bottles and rested there. After getting rehydrated I was in good shape the rest of the way.

Haven't made that mistake again.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

On the Hike I wear good hiking shoes/boots. Carry Booties in my backpack. I second to carry more water then you think you will need.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
On the Hike I wear good hiking shoes/boots. Carry Booties in my backpack. I second to carry more water then you think you will need.
Yeah - on that hike in I took two liters (as did DD). She was ok with her two, but I needed at least four.