• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NYX ( Avalon Grand)

WHMIS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gande Luxxe Club regina
Looking for information on the NYX contract- how could there be a legal contract when the Avalon vacation club does not exist anymore? Has anyone found a legal way to exit the contract? We purchased back in 2001, so its been a while. Haven't seen many posts since 2014-15.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I am not familiar with NYX, but have heard of Avalon Grand.

We have had 2 timeshares change names because of new owners.
  • One is now on its 4th name and this time, they did not honor our contract, so we are done with them. The place had gone downhill and they are not getting a penny more of our money. They are charging 4 times the amount for our MF. Our contract had fixed MF and then we were offered a deal in 2015 that if we paid a certain amount, we would never have to pay again (it was similar to the Vidanta Sr. Certificate). We feel no obligation to pay since they do not want to honor our contract.
  • The other one honored our contract and we went there 6 more times - then they raised the fees even though they had not completed the building and the furnishings needed replacing. We said no thanks, we are not paying MF anymore because for the price they are charging we could stay at Buganvilias for less and have more amenities. They were fine with that as they really want to convert all the units to full ownership condos anyway.
So, for others to help, my questions are:
  • Have you been paying MF and using your timeshare since 2002?
  • Did they tell you that you no longer own or send you a MF bill?
  • Do you realize that Mexico timeshares are basically Right to Use - that means you do not own anything except the right to use a week at the resort if you pay your MF.
In my opinion, the bottom line is - No matter what you think, you have no equity in an 18 year old timeshare - the money you paid up front is long gone and if you do not pay MF, you will basically be out of your contract.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I believe the former Avalon Grand is now Mia Reef Resort, not NYX.

WHMIS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gande Luxxe Club regina
HI- the Avalon Grand was in the Cancun hotel zone ( part of the Avalon Vacation club exchange which does not exist any more) It has new owners ( Spanish company?) and is now called the NYX hotel. Still wondering if anybody has successfully dealt with exiting the contract. No one will give me a phone number to speak to anyone about this. Resort.com sets up reservations.
I don't know why there is no transparency, the members are the victims after Michael Kelly took money from investors and was charged with fraud.
I have paid off the timeshare cost long ago and have paid my maintenance fees ( since 2001) up to this point and now I am inquiring about if there is a legal way to get out of the contract since my original contract was with Avalon Resorts ( plural). At that time there were about five resorts and you could exchange into but now that has all changed and the resorts are all owned by different groups. Last time I was in Cancun ( June 2017), at a restaurant, there was gunfire right outside the restaurant and someone was murdered. It was disturbing and Im not sure I want to go back to that area.

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
WHMIS, are you still paying annual maintenance fees on this resort?

WHMIS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gande Luxxe Club regina
I did but I am trying to stop . I have an every other year contract.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Since you can’t find a way to contact them, why not just stop paying.

Tee

Reaction score
Oh, dear. I like to stay at The Grand and later the NYX. I know all about the Michael Kelly thing. I can't advise on your rights and obligations under your old Avalon RTU contract. I really preferred the old Baccara (which also went through many spellings, and sadly now is closed.)
What's really disturbing is the increased violent crime report: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-streets-Mexican-tourist-hotspot-Cancun.html

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, dear. I like to stay at The Grand and later the NYX. I know all about the Michael Kelly thing. I can't advise on your rights and obligations under your old Avalon RTU contract. I really preferred the old Baccara (which also went through many spellings, and sadly now is closed.)
What's really disturbing is the increased violent crime report: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-streets-Mexican-tourist-hotspot-Cancun.html

not in the tourist zone

Tee

Reaction score
Actually, a point of clarification. NYX is located in the "Zona Hotelera."

Tourists also are welcome to Cancun City. I have taken the bus to Mercado 28, to Walmart, and to the Baseball stadium, as well La Parilla and other restaurants.

There is more involved here, and it doesn't help to be imprecise.

WHMIS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gande Luxxe Club regina
In June 2017 my friend and I took a bus from NYX and went to Pizza Rolandis which is located just as one enters the town of Cancun. There was gunfire outside the restaurant and
a person was gunned downed- a fatality. It was very disturbing. There was a documentary on Cancun violence recently on TV. There are now four cartels fighting and if a tourist is hit by gunfire by mistake, its just collateral damage. They don't care. I have been going to the Cancun area since 2001, it is my favourite but it is becoming too dangerous.

WHMIS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gande Luxxe Club regina
Asking again- if anyone has any information on exiting the Avalon/NYX right to use a week part of the contract please email me ( if you do not want to post) at SunScapes@telus.net

brendab25

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this forum is old, but I am in the same boat. I paid off my Avalon a long time again. Now NYX owns. Maintenance fees are skyrocketing, and options are now limited to only one resort. I was going to call Wesley Financial Group, but another forum said that they (and all exit companies) are a rip off.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this forum is old, but I am in the same boat. I paid off my Avalon a long time again. Now NYX owns. Maintenance fees are skyrocketing, and options are now limited to only one resort. I was going to call Wesley Financial Group, but another forum said that they (and all exit companies) are a rip off.
just stop paying. It is RTU so no deed. You might receive a few phone calls, but in the end they can't do anything. It's unlikely that your credit will be affected

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
. I paid off my Avalon a long time again. Now NYX owns. Maintenance fees are skyrocketing, and options are now limited to only one resort

. I was going to call Wesley Financial Group, but another forum said that they (and all exit companies) are a rip off.

I agree with @byeloe
1 ) it is a RTU / non deeded

2 ) at best - Wesley or any other exit company charges a lot of $$$ - for what you can do yourself FOR FREE

3 ) there are threads in the TUG Mexican forum.that discuss - no longer paying MF on a Mexican RTU that is fully paid.for.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

http://avalon-baccara.hotels-quintanaroo.com/en/#sc-cluster-gallery-1

Looks like Baccara is still operational. We stayed there on our 1st trip to Cancun in the early to mid-90's. We loved it other than no hot water for 3 days and that they did not know we were coming! We had our II confirmation so got a nice room.

Last edited: