• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NYC Tips and Advice

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I know very little about NYC but my daughter and I are headed to the Hilton Club next month. We plan to go to the Westminster dog show, a couple of Broadway plays, have some local food, and if it's not too cold, do a lot of walking. From what I can tell, Hilton Club is in a very nice location and safe. We will need (I think) to take the subway to Pier 94 and Madison Square Garden, as well as the theaters. Can someone familiar with the area tell me if all of those areas are safe? I'm trying to put aside all my subway knowledge from the movies which makes it out to be a crime-ridden mess - I know that can't be accurate, or who would go there? Any other tips, advice on restaurants, activities, etc. will be appreciated.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
New York is safe in general, but still have your guard up if you end up walking late at night in an area that isn't busy. Where you are staying will be busy all the time. I would make sure you are well versed in the Subway and all of the trains. It gets confusing, and can be a mad house. If you are physically up for walking you will be surprised at how close things are and how fast it goes. You are about a mile from both Madison Square Garden and Pier 92/94. It's flat both ways, so figure 20-25 minutes at a slow pace. You are a five minute walk to the entrance of Central Park and the Broadway theaters. Cabs are very easy in Manhattan and would be my choice for short trips that don't take you on long routes up and down or east and west. Traffic lights kill cabs and Ubers. Subway is definitely the fastest way to travel and I find walking the easiest.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of midtown is safe, certainly during regular busy hours, say 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Normal city precautions and you should be fine.

Where is Hilton Club? MSG is at 34th Street and 7th Avenue. Twenty uptown blocks make a mile; most crosstown blocks are equivalent to three uptown blocks. Remember there are buses, too, which are good if you're not in a hurry.

Pier 94 is at about 54th St. and 12th Avenue? You can take the crosstown bus at 57th St. and then walk from there.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I know very little about NYC but my daughter and I are headed to the Hilton Club next month. We plan to go to the Westminster dog show, a couple of Broadway plays, have some local food, and if it's not too cold, do a lot of walking. From what I can tell, Hilton Club is in a very nice location and safe. We will need (I think) to take the subway to Pier 94 and Madison Square Garden, as well as the theaters. Can someone familiar with the area tell me if all of those areas are safe? I'm trying to put aside all my subway knowledge from the movies which makes it out to be a crime-ridden mess - I know that can't be accurate, or who would go there? Any other tips, advice on restaurants, activities, etc. will be appreciated.
Ha. Considering the amount of people in this dump it’s generally safe. You’ll be fine. As in any big city just keep your eyes and ears open. Don’t take your wallet out in large crowds and all the normal crap. When I travel I generally keep a CC or two back at the room in the safe just in case. The area you’re in is midtown and you’ll be in a generally large tourist area. You’ll be fine. The area by MSG Is pretty safe with loads of tourists and locals going to and from work. MSG is next to Macy’s so you can imagine it’s pretty safe. Venture outside of midtown and head downtown and see some of real nyc. Check out the east village, west village, soho, Chinatown etc. you’re also close to the new Hudson yards, check out that too. You’ll be fine. Also, stay away from pizza and most restaurants in midtown. They are tourists traps and garbage. Especially the pizza. If you want good pizza check out johns on bleecker or even the original patsys In Harlem. If you want to really venture, head over the bk bridge and go to julianas which is the original grimaldis.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dh and I have been spending a week in NYC in the Fall for the past few years (just booked our trip for this year). We stay in the theater district, not far from Rockefeller Center. We walk, take the subway, or cabs, everywhere. Since I am usually with dh I have never felt unsafe. Our younger dd, who is now 29, has visited NYC several times on her own and she generally feels safe as well. One word of advice dh gives, and he lived in Manhattan for years, is when riding the subway never get on an empty car.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We own at Hilton West 57 and visit 1 - 2 times a year. The Midtown Manhattan/Hilton Club is just a few blocks away and the area is safe. We love NYC. We walk all over and use the subway. Especially if we are going downtown to the 911 museum or Ellis Island ferry or uptown to the Cloisters or Columbia U. (I see young students going to school in NYC on the subway. I've seen men in Tuxes riding the subway in the evening.) Just stay on Manhattan and be aware e.g. don't wear flashy necklaces. We ride mostly during the day and evening.

The only time we felt uncomfortable was riding out to JFK on the subway via Queens when there were street performers on the train who were pressing people to "donate" for their performance. We now to take the Long Island RR to avoid this.

Try the Halal Guy's cart in front of the HIlton Midtown. Best deal in NYC and yummy. Ask at the HGVC desk if you can get an elevated rewards card for 15% off local restaurants. You can get this without a presentation. The card includes 15% off John's pizza as mentioned by @CPNY (They will pitch you though to take a presentation by offering $200 or so of free restaurants. Your call on that.)

Check out the new walking sculpture at Hudson Yards if not too cold.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dh and I have been spending a week in NYC in the Fall for the past few years (just booked our trip for this year). We stay in the theater district, not far from Rockefeller Center. We walk, take the subway, or cabs, everywhere. Since I am usually with dh I have never felt unsafe. Our younger dd, who is now 29, has visited NYC several times on her own and she generally feels safe as well. One word of advice dh gives, and he lived in Manhattan for years, is when riding the subway never get on an empty car.

Yes, that is correct about empty subway cars. Or if the whole train is packed and one car has like five people--there's something seriously wrong with that car, do not get on.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
We own at Hilton West 57 and visit 1 - 2 times a year. The Midtown Manhattan/Hilton Club is just a few blocks away and the area is safe. We love NYC. We walk all over and use the subway. Especially if we are going downtown to the 911 museum or Ellis Island ferry or uptown to the Cloisters or Columbia U. (I see young students going to school in NYC on the subway. I've seen men in Tuxes riding the subway in the evening.) Just stay on Manhattan and be aware e.g. don't wear flashy necklaces. We ride mostly during the day and evening.

The only time we felt uncomfortable was riding out to JFK on the subway via Queens when there were street performers on the train who were pressing people to "donate" for their performance. We now to take the Long Island RR to avoid this.

Try the Halal Guy's cart in front of the HIlton Midtown. Best deal in NYC and yummy. Ask at the HGVC desk if you can get an elevated rewards card for 15% off local restaurants. You can get this without a presentation. The card includes 15% off John's pizza as mentioned by @CPNY (They will pitch you though to take a presentation by offering $200 or so of free restaurants. Your call on that.)

Check out the new walking sculpture at Hudson Yards if not too cold.
The performers annoy the hell out of me but usually they are pretty good. The E train will be easier to take from midtown. Than heading to LIRR, but generally it’s a better ride lol.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ok. I am jealous of those going to the Westminister Dog Show, which has been on my bucket list for years.

Have always hinted to hubby- what a great Valentines gift this would be. Nothing. Just the same chocolates every year. Lol!

This year we will be moving out of NY that week so there’s no hope left for me for that bucket list item.

Have to start working on the next item- XMAS at the MT Washington Hotel in Breton Woods.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. I am jealous of those going to the Westminister Dog Show, which has been on my bucket list for years.
This year we will be moving out of NY that week so there’s no hope left for me for that bucket list item.
Hey, it's never too late, there's always next year. I've been to NYC half a dozen times, and always coming from far away (San Diego)!
DW and I love to watch the dog show. That would be a kick to see it in person!

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Here's another silly question (clearly I know nothing about the subway), do you buy tickets at a machine at the station and pay with a credit card?

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes there are machines at most subway stations. You buy a metro card and either put a dollar amount of value on it or if you're going to use the subway a lot over a short period of time (one week) you may want to but an unlimited ride pass. You can find more information at:

--Jon

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

Have always hinted to hubby- what a great Valentines gift this would be. Nothing. Just the same chocolates every year. Lol!

Have to start working on the next item- XMAS at the MT Washington Hotel in Breton Woods.
Set it as a 2021 goal! I am going to the agility portion. Should be entertaining.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Set it as a 2021 goal! I am going to the agility portion. Should be entertaining.

I doubt we will ever go back to NYC again once we move now.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I'm sure it will be amazing. My old dog is gone now so I have none at the moment and am kind of looking to get another dog or two or three. I have a feeling I'll be placing deposits for more than one puppy!

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
New York is very safe. We lived in the City in the '70s and in those days whole areas were off-limits due to risk of crime. Yesterday evening we walked in the Lower East Side, east of Bowery and south of Houston, which we would not have gone to after dark in the old days.
(And we went to and from via the F train subway with no concerns - - direct from 6th ave and 57th street by Hilton West 57 to the 2 Av [Second Avenue] stop.)
trains.jpg

This is not the current subway map; I used it here because it's centered on midtown.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
S
Here's another silly question (clearly I know nothing about the subway), do you buy tickets at a machine at the station and pay with a credit card?
You buy a metro card. Some stations are now adding tap pads that you can tap you CC or even Apple Pay i believe and you can pay per ride. It’s extremely new and not up and running everywhere. The last bus I took had it but it wasn’t operational yet. You can just purchase a metro card if you are traveling to airport by train save around 16.00 for subway and air train to JFK.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are no longer members of RCI. Are there any recommendations on places to stay for 3-5 days? Also, are there any recommendations on tours for Seniors with slight mobility issues?

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Thank you for all the good advice. I used Google Maps street view to map out where we will walk and it all looks pretty easy. One more silly question. Is everything pretty much doable with a credit card or are there places (besides tips) where we would need cash?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
One word of advice dh gives, and he lived in Manhattan for years, is when riding the subway never get on an empty car.

I'm sure things are different now but when I lived in NYC in the late 60s I remember being told that if you wanted to ride the Subway late at night I should get in the middle car because it would have a policeman and a dog in it...

George

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thank you for all the good advice. I used Google Maps street view to map out where we will walk and it all looks pretty easy. One more silly question. Is everything pretty much doable with a credit card or are there places (besides tips) where we would need cash?
My dd never carries cash. So yes, NYC can be done by credit card alone. The only places I would advise cash tips are if you have someone helping you with bags and such.