• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NY/NJ Hudson River Crossings Toll Increase Holy Cow!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey just instituted the final increase of what I understand is the 5th increase in 5 years. They say this will be the last increase for now.

I would like you to guess how much a cash toll for cars, and a 5 axle semi truck trailer.

If you live in the area please resist the urge to answer, and resist the urge to google.

The crossings include the GW Bridge, Holland & Lincoln Tunnels, Outerbridge crossing, and Goethals bridge. I make this trip periodically and for now I get reimbursed for my travel. I shudder to think if I had to pay this highway robbery daily.

Just a disclaimer so those of you from outside the area understand. This is a one way toll collection into to NYC. When you travel out to NJ there is no toll.

Peak Time toll rates. No ez pass discount.

Guess for Cars $8, $10, $13, $15, $18 ?

Guess for Trucks with 5 axles $30, $45, $75, $90, $105, $130?

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless of how much it is there will still be traffic. I guess that shows there is demand. The better question is where does the money go?

May be annoying but so are the 50 cents tolls every few miles in New Jersey.

Thankfully last summer I did Boston, Long Island, Niagara Falls with a one way rental car.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey just instituted the final increase of what I understand is the 5th increase in 5 years. They say this will be the last increase for now.

I would like you to guess how much a cash toll for cars, and a 5 axle semi truck trailer.

If you live in the area please resist the urge to answer, and resist the urge to google.

The crossings include the GW Bridge, Holland & Lincoln Tunnels, Outerbridge crossing, and Goethals bridge. I make this trip periodically and for now I get reimbursed for my travel. I shudder to think if I had to pay this highway robbery daily.

Just a disclaimer so those of you from outside the area understand. This is a one way toll collection into to NYC. When you travel out to NJ there is no toll.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Should you need to cross into NY by car without ezpass you will have to pay $15 cash.

If you have a 5 axle semi trailer ............. $105 No I am not joking here. It is crime. But today I saw miles of traffic heading over the GW bridge paying the toll!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those bridges don't stay up for free. Those tunnels don't stay leak free, lit, ventilated and monitored for ffree.

Bonus question. How much is a car with 3 or more passengers and an ezpass registered for car pool. $1/2/3/4/5!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Considering the AGE of those tunnels? SCARY!!!!

PS For those of who have never driven in Manhatten ... DO NOT think about it.

It is NEVER uncrowded or easy. Nor cheap...think NO street parking. Trucks and buses. Masses of people crossing everywhere. Fumes. Hard to see street signs. Bikes everywhere.

Wyndham Midtown Manhatten is $60 plus taxes per day to park a Ford Focus. And that is cheap (a van was almost $100). I took my 89 year old aunt ... if she was a few years younger, we would have taken the TNJ train from Princeton Junction with our luggage.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We stay away from NYC as much as possible.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I take the NJ Transit bus to midtown for about $4. Or a jitney over the bridge for $1.50. We're big fans of public transportation!

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
By way of comparison, it costs $17.64 per day just to be allowed to drive in the central area of London (without crossing a bridge or going through a tunnel). You can reduce that to $16.10 with something akin to an ezpass.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Just for another comparison, it will cost skiers returning to Denver from the slopes upwards of $30 to drive in the 13-mile toll lane starting this month, as I detailed in this thread a couple weeks ago. No fancy bridges or tunnels to maintain, just pure greed by the government (since there is no other viable road -- I70 is it).

$15 to enter NYC seems like a bargain compared to that!

Kurt

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should you need to cross into NY by car without ezpass you will have to pay $15 cash.

If you have a 5 axle semi trailer ............. $105 No I am not joking here. It is crime. But today I saw miles of traffic heading over the GW bridge paying the toll!
It is worth highlighting the ease of getting an ezpass now. I have one but I don't have a car. Handy for rental Cars.

Also these pricing plans are to discourage cash and encourage usage during off peak hours. You highlight the $105 for a truck with 5 axles. Most have 4 not 5 so that's $84 cash. Switch to ezpass and at the right time of day that's $62 And $72 at most.

Now the $15 car. With ezpass you are done to 12.50 to 10.50. Sign up for the carpool plan and as long as there are 3 of you in the car (me and two kids counts) you are down to $6.50.

antjmar

Reaction score

I often take the Tappan Zee, less traffic and a bargain:rolleyes: at $4.75 with ezpass.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I often take the Tappan Zee, less traffic and a bargain:rolleyes: at $4.75 with ezpass.

Depending where you are coming from and going. If your cutting over from Northern CONN then it is great.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

Believe me I would take the TZ in a heartbeat. However the TZ is at least 25 miles north. I live on Long Island. So this would be a 50 mile add on to my trip.

Pick your poison. 50 miles, or the Cross Bronx Expressway.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is worth highlighting the ease of getting an ezpass now. I have one but I don't have a car. Handy for rental Cars.

Also these pricing plans are to discourage cash and encourage usage during off peak hours. You highlight the $105 for a truck with 5 axles. Most have 4 not 5 so that's $84 cash. Switch to ezpass and at the right time of day that's $62 And $72 at most.

Now the $15 car. With ezpass you are done to 12.50 to 10.50. Sign up for the carpool plan and as long as there are 3 of you in the car (me and two kids counts) you are down to $6.50.

You should be a spokesman for the PA of NY/NJ :clap: Yes you are correct. I have an EZ Pass and I am aware of the discounts you point out. The Carpool would be a tough nut to crack.

As I stated earlier living on LI I need to cross another MTA bridge that adds another $11 round trip toll.

Yes the price to pay for living in the Big City.

So If I happen to work in NJ and commute daily my tolls would be about $25 daily in round numbers.

I dunno. How do people do this?:doh:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be a spokesman for the PA of NY/NJ :clap: Yes you are correct. I have an EZ Pass and I am aware of the discounts you point out. The Carpool would be a tough nut to crack.

As I stated earlier living on LI I need to cross another MTA bridge that adds another $11 round trip toll.

Yes the price to pay for living in the Big City.

So If I happen to work in NJ and commute daily my tolls would be about $25 daily in round numbers.

I'm not corrupt enough.

But the delta between cash and ezpass has grown ever greater in my decade in the city. Anyone without an ezpass has money to burn.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not corrupt enough.

But the delta between cash and ezpass has grown ever greater in my decade in the city. Anyone without an ezpass has money to burn.

I really don't understand why there are always long cash line at the MTA bridges, and Tunnels. You really need your head examined if you don't have an ezpass.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand why there are always long cash line at the MTA bridges, and Tunnels. You really need your head examined if you don't have an ezpass.
I'm in it to get my car pool validated.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

People like myself who commute daily to NYC from NJ take a commuter bus or train. At least I can sleep or relax on my way to 1.5 hour commute!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I go to NYC ... I am in the cash lane ... once a year or two.

Now, with the PA Turnpike going cashless ... I will be forced to go EZpass.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Just for another comparison, it will cost skiers returning to Denver from the slopes upwards of $30 to drive in the 13-mile toll lane starting this month, as I detailed in this thread a couple weeks ago. No fancy bridges or tunnels to maintain, just pure greed by the government (since there is no other viable road -- I70 is it). "

Is this year round or just during ski season?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
"Just for another comparison, it will cost skiers returning to Denver from the slopes upwards of $30 to drive in the 13-mile toll lane starting this month, as I detailed in this thread a couple weeks ago. No fancy bridges or tunnels to maintain, just pure greed by the government (since there is no other viable road -- I70 is it). "

Is this year round or just during ski season?

Year round (it is starting this month). It is a variable rate topping off at $30. Some say summer weekend traffic is just as high as winter ski traffic, so the high rates will be in the summer as well.

BTW, there is no discount for carpooling. :(

Kurt

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the GW Bridge, there's a spot for cars to wait for passengers. When they get a third person, they go over the bridge using the carpool rate.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the GW Bridge, there's a spot for cars to wait for passengers. When they get a third person, they go over the bridge using the carpool rate.

What gets me is a 2 seater car does not get the lower rate when both seats are occupied. That is hov. But a 8 passenger suv gets it when only 3 people are in the car.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
What gets me is a 2 seater car does not get the lower rate when both seats are occupied. That is hov. But a 8 passenger suv gets it when only 3 people are in the car.

True. Not ideal. Plus the cars sit there idling while they wait. And then they have to go through the cash lane to tell the toll taker that they should get the carpool rate.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

So when I take the local route on 46 and stay on the left it narrows down to one lane. You can make a right into Ft Lee, I see vehicles lined up on the right side.

Those people are waiting for strangers to ride (Car Pool Dummies) for the the car pool rate?

Then they must have to exit in Manhattan or Bronx. UGH!

I keep on truckin over to Queens. No way I am stopping for a dummy!

Old article also says that the cops don't like the practice.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01...-on-george-washington-bridge-carpool-pickups/

Last edited: