• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NW FF Miles Redemption -- 330 days?

citymouse0_1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do all airlines use the 330 day in advance rule, or does it vary by airline? I will be checking on Northwest.

Also, if I book my outbound flight 330 days in advance, how do I go about booking my return flight (since it would be more than 330 days out). Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Chris

Darwin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nw

NW only allows you to book both in and out together. And, yes they use the 330 day rule. So you would need to wait 330 days from your return to book your flight.

Darwin

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience has been that NW FF tickets are available 352 days in advance. We have always booked our Hawaii outbound tickets with a false return date. Then when your actual desired return date is released (352 days in advance), we pay the $50 apiece change fee. Remember, you can also book Continental (352 days in advance) and Delta (331 days in advance) with your NW miles. You can also now do this online. I think if you change your return flight on Continental or Delta (using your NW miles), you must do by call a NW FF agent.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
NWA Hawaii

Chris,

You might look at Delta. They have a nonstop SLC to HNL. NWA has gutted the Hawaii service :mad: . There is only one non-stop and everything else is a connection through LAX, SEA, SFO, PDX (Portland). If you are going inter-island on the same day, you have only three choices from MSP: the nonstop, SEA, and PDX. Everything else gets in too late, or is a bit risky if NWA is late.

Maybe next year they will add back the second non-stop.

You might look into an upgradable fare and using your miles to upgrade. Be advised that the phone at res starts ringing a 12:01AM 3 whatever hundred days in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
SherryS said:
My experience has been that NW FF tickets are available 352 days in advance. We have always booked our Hawaii outbound tickets with a false return date. Then when your actual desired return date is released (352 days in advance), we pay the $50 apiece change fee. Remember, you can also book Continental (352 days in advance) and Delta (331 days in advance) with your NW miles. You can also now do this online. I think if you change your return flight on Continental or Delta (using your NW miles), you must do by call a NW FF agent.

Sherry was a great help to me in using my NWA FF miles for Hawaii. Based on my limited experience with them, their FF availibility is very limited. I checked everyday for our Hawaii seats in the 352 to 33o window and they would periodically load a few seats - but mostly for first class or anytime award seats (takes twice the miles) and for weekdays, hardly ever for weekends.

They do partner with Delta who faithfully loads their seats at midnight 330 days out. So I called NWA and had them book the Delta tickets at the 330 day window (you have to tell specifically to check Delta availability - they do NOT do so unless you ask). I then booked them with a false first leg (i.e. some Hawaii to DCA FF seats avail from NWA). Then at the 330 Delta window for my return, I called NWA again and had them grab the Delta seats and re-issue my ticket for a fee of $50 each.

If you wait for the NWA rule to have both legs available before you book - all the seats will be gone. So it is worth the $50 change fee.

Thank you, Sherry, for teaching me how.

Joyce

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Joyce!....The best new thing with NW is that you CAN reserve Delta FF seats on line through the NWA website. I love that feature and plan to use it for our Feb. 2008 Hawaii trip.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Sherry and Joyce, for the information. I don't really understand how to do the "false return" thing, though. Suppose I want to fly from DTW (Detroit) to HNL (Honolulu.) I check NW's website at 352 days out. Let's say that I get lucky and they have the ticket to Honolulu that I need. At that point they won't have any frequent flyer seats on subsequent days coming back from HNL, will they? So, what do I book? Do I just book a return flight for the same day?

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same day, or reverse it and search from HNL to DTW and use you actual depart day as your false return! (I've done that with some of my tickets already.)

citymouse0_1

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it is important to call at around 12:01 the day FF tickets are released. This is probably picky, but is that Eastern Time? I live in the Central time zone.

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the correct time is 12:01 am Eastern. I think this has to do with what time zone the base-city of your choosen airline is in (Delta headquarters is Atlanta in the Eastern Time Zone). Northwest, on the other hand, has been known in the recent past to release its FF tickets in groups and not exactly on the 352 days out date. So, I wouldn't count on the midnight 352 days out for NW FF tickets. Just plan on being diligent when trying for NW!