• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Now They Want a Pandemic “Amnesty”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
What a no brainer this was even in the height of the pandemic.

Believe it or not, American Federation of Teachers chief Randi Weingarten on Monday tacitly acknowledged that keeping schools closed during the pandemic was a mistake. Miracles happen, apparently. But she also now wants parents—especially if they’re voters next week—to forgive her and her political allies without seeking an apology or holding them accountable. Sorry, that lets them off way too easy.

“I agree,” Ms. Weingarten tweeted a link to a piece in The Atlantic by Emily Oster, “Let’s Declare a Pandemic Amnesty.” The article argues that Americans should forgive experts and government leaders for their mistakes during the pandemic.

Ms. Oster cites school closures as one example: “There is an emerging (if not universal) consensus that schools in the U.S. were closed for too long: The health risks of in-school spread were relatively low, whereas the costs to students’ well-being and educational progress were high.”…

…Oster says “most errors were made by people who were working in earnest for the good of society.” But the teachers unions intentionally misled the public by hyping the virus risks for children. They did this to extort more money from Congress to “safely reopen” and compensate for learning losses from the shutdowns. Democrats gave them $122 billion last March, only about 15% of which was spent during the 2021-22 school year.…

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember when we said that school closing during the pandemic was very harmful to our kids here on TUG and alot of you vehemently chastised us for saying it? Well now the truth and consequences of those closures are plain for everyone to see the devastating effects on our kids lack of learning. What a wasted and lost year that could have been prevented. Shame on all those who opposed us. :-(

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
Deleted

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets hope that we NEVER repeat all those Draconian lock down/closures again, and learn from those excessive mistakes.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just terrible consequences on young lives

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Personally I don't think it was a mistake and in my area it was optional to be remote for more than 6 months after schools opened back up and a lot of families still took advantage of that. I think it did effect some children more so than others but there still might be teachers and children and families of school age children alive today that might not have been. I still don't think any of it was any particularly draconian lockdowns in this country. I would barely call what we had a lock down and I live in a blue state that was probably slightly more than what those above me are complaining about. Draconian is what they are still doing in China. Draconian was in many places in Europe where children where not allowed to leave their property. I still see people complaining that we shouldn't test and should go about living our lives and it still doesn't make me feel good that people know they are sick and won't test and self isolate for a few days but would rather be out maskless, spreading it around rather than inconveniencing themselves even a little.

That being said isn't this forum only for discussing covid and travel now, not bitching about how you didn't like this or that or to brag about how you think you are right and that everyone must now be seeing how smart you were and everyone else wasn't. A lot of people still think you are wrong and were wrong and I am hot singling anyone out. It still is a divided topic and even though you think you have been proven right, you really haven't been.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
Personally I don't think it was a mistake and in my area it was optional to be remote for more than 6 months after schools opened back up and a lot of families still took advantage of that. I think it did effect some children more so than others but there still might be teachers and children and families of school age children alive today that might not have been. I still don't think any of it was any particularly draconian lockdowns in this country. I would barely call what we had a lock down and I live in a blue state that was probably slightly more than what those above me are complaining about. Draconian is what they are still doing in China. Draconian was in many places in Europe where children where not allowed to leave their property. I still see people complaining that we shouldn't test and should go about living our lives and it still doesn't make me feel good that people know they are sick and won't test and self isolate for a few days but would rather be out maskless, spreading it around rather than inconveniencing themselves even a little.

That being said isn't this forum only for discussing covid and travel now, not bitching about how you didn't like this or that or to brag about how you think you are right and that everyone must now be seeing how smart you were and everyone else wasn't. A lot of people still think you are wrong and were wrong and I am hot singling anyone out. It still is a divided topic and even though you think you have been proven right, you really haven't been.

Perhaps you're right, I respect your opinion and with that being the case, I'll delete what I posted and back away from the thread altogether.

However, I don't quite understand why you wanted to make others aware of your thoughts and feelings about this, prior to saying others shouldn't. Why not just post the second paragraph? :ponder:

Anyway, I'll just leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.