• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Notary Reqirements

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
When is Notary required for both buyer and seller? Is it based on Title Company? Resort? I have never had to as a buyer but is being asked for a recent purchase.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Most counties only require the notarized seller signature in order to record the deed. The resort may require both the buyer and seller to sign. There are some sellers that require the buyer to sign a limited POA for the sale. I believe Sumday has had this requirement for the last 2 plus years.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When is Notary required for both buyer and seller? Is it based on Title Company? Resort? I have never had to as a buyer but is being asked for a recent purchase.

I think it varies by county/state, and sometimes by resort.

I've had notarization required as a buyer for both Worldmark and Shell points. They aren't deeded, but require it to do the transfer.

I believe HI also requires notarization of the buyer's signature, but I've bough a TS in CA and AZ without having my signature notarized.

Basically, YMMV, and sometimes it comes down to the closing company. Sumday (mentioned above) always wants that POA...

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Thanks. I have had w/ Hawaii and HGVC so same experience. For a previous CA purchase, it wasn’t a requirement so I inquired why. Wanting to do my due diligence.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
New Orleans deed transfer required both buyer and seller the last time I bought... that was years ago. Not sure if it has changed.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

Never, in jillions of years and transactions, has the buyer been required.

Have you been given an explanation for that?

If it is for a timeshare, I would tend to think that the resort wants proof that the buyer is a real buyer, timeshares being different, more suspicious, than other real estate.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jurisdictions can be strange. This was new to me when I purchased a Las Vegas unit.

I've always placed the contract and deed in my name, rather than both of us however, because Nevada is a community property state and I'm married, in order for me to take title as sole and separate property the resort requires that the spouse sign over her implied interest. This document would need be signed in front of a notary. However, if I put her on the contract to purchase, no signatures need to be notarized. :shrug:

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Any Hawaii real estate lawyers on here? I am Canadian and have been told I must get a USA notary to notarize my forms for transfer of deed as buyer regarding Pono Kai resort in Kauai. This is unusual. Today my notary, who is also a lawyer, notarized my different buying transfer for RVC and said that she has notarized many other transactions for USA transfers.

So my question is, is this a Hawaii requirement, or just the Pono Kai resort requirement. Looking for a lawyer to answer. Thank you.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any Hawaii real estate lawyers on here? I am Canadian and have been told I must get a USA notary to notarize my forms for transfer of deed as buyer regarding Pono Kai resort in Kauai. This is unusual. Today my notary, who is also a lawyer, notarized my different buying transfer for RVC and said that she has notarized many other transactions for USA transfers.

So my question is, is this a Hawaii requirement, or just the Pono Kai resort requirement. Looking for a lawyer to answer. Thank you.
Not a Hawaii lawyer but I do know a Canadian couple that purchased at the same Wyndham resort last year & this year.
This year they were told they had to have a US notary.
I thought maybe it was a new Wyndham policy but after your post it must be new for all Hawaii deeds

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Canadian here, purchased a few US timeshares, including two in Hawaii, notary was NOT required.

Also purchased Hyatt Piñon Pointe in Arizona, notary was NOT required when using LT Transfers, but a different closing company required a notary and refused to do anything without notarized buyers signature. It was the closing company's totally unnecessary requirement, not resort's.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
New Orleans deed transfer required both buyer and seller the last time I bought... that was years ago. Not sure if it has changed.
As far as I know, buyers signing the deed is something for all of Louisiana, not just New Orleans Parish. I am not aware of any other state or county with similar requirements. IMO, a buyers signature on a deed is actually a good thing.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Not a Hawaii lawyer but I do know a Canadian couple that purchased at the same Wyndham resort last year & this year.
This year they were told they had to have a US notary.
I thought maybe it was a new Wyndham policy but after your post it must be new for all Hawaii deeds
Hi thank you for your post, much appreciated. It seems arbitrary but at least I'm not alone.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Canadian here, purchased a few US timeshares, including two in Hawaii, notary was NOT required.

Also purchased Hyatt Piñon Pointe in Arizona, notary was NOT required when using LT Transfers, but a different closing company required a notary and refused to do anything without notarized buyers signature. It was the closing company's totally unnecessary requirement, not resort's.
Ok thank you for the information. So seems like it is not a Hawaii state real estate transaction requirement then. It's frustrating to have to get a US Notary. I talked with the resort lawyer and he said I was lucky I live in the capital and can instead go to the US Consulate. People outside Ottawa or Toronto have to travel to USA to get it notarized.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you for the information. So seems like it is not a Hawaii state real estate transaction requirement then. It's frustrating to have to get a US Notary. I talked with the resort lawyer and he said I was lucky I live in the capital and can instead go to the US Consulate. People outside Ottawa or Toronto have to travel to USA to get it notarized.

This is very interesting. In essence, any US Consulate likely has a notary public on staff....

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
US consulate notary may be expensive. I just drive 30 minutes to Blaine WA, notary is $10. Versus $70 here in Vancouver. Fill up cheap gas too while I am there. Got Nexus, so no border wait.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is very interesting. In essence, any US Consulate likely has a notary public on staff....

Thank yes, I thought so and glad it might help others. Yes, any USA consulate can notarize. In Canada we have 7 USA Consulates. It's often cheaper and closer option than travelling to USA... although 90% of Canadian live within an hour drive of the USA border so not always. I expect other countries having USA consulates provide the same notary services.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
US consulate notary may be expensive. I just drive 30 minutes to Blaine WA, notary is $10. Versus $70 here in Vancouver. Fill up cheap gas too while I am there. Got Nexus, so no border wait.
I wondered the cost at the USA Consulate. Ogdensburg NY here I come. Great point on the cheap gas fillup as well!

Might as well give the link for the US Embassies and Consulates. This is the page for Canada but easily scroll to other countries. https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-for-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

huh. Just used the online scheduler for Ottawa and next available appointment isn't until Sept 6. Looks like they only have 4 appointments per day.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wondered the cost at the USA Consulate. Ogdensburg NY here I come. Great point on the cheap gas fillup as well!

Might as well give the link for the US Embassies and Consulates. This is the page for Canada but easily scroll to other countries. https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-for-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

huh. Just used the online scheduler for Ottawa and next available appointment isn't until Sept 6. Looks like they only have 4 appointments per day.

Well if you can't get it notarized for six weeks then one may well be better off driving to the USA instead of waiting......

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
to wrap this thread... an appointment came up from a cancellation so I got the US Embassy here in Ottawa to notarize. it took 10 minutes and cost USD 50.

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk