• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Not timesharing, but our 45th. wedding anniversary trip went bust

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
My husband has always wanted to do a vacation by train. So for our 45th anniversary, we decided to do a trip through America By Rail tour company, which was from Chicago to the Grand Canyon via train, with several stops along the way to see many of the National parks. The company had great reviews and has been in business for 25 years. It was 15 days long, and we were to leave on May 31. Well, the trip was canceled, and we asked for a full refund. We just got a letter that after 25 years, they just closed their business and we should take it up with our credit card company. We put the deposit down in April 2019, and the balance was due in January 2020. The total was $11,800! I guess it was a good thing we put it all on AMEX, however my husband was on the phone with AMEX for 90 minutes. They are saying since it was not within the last 90 days, they didn’t know if we could get our money back. It is still under review. We are at a loss for thinking of where else to turn if AMEX doesn’t refund the money. Man, this COVID has really caused lots of anxiety for many. Next thing we are hoping is to get a full refund from NCL for a cruise we booked for us and all our children. That’s over $20,000!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That's terrible! Did you take out travel insurance? And if so I hope it covers the company shutting down.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Wow, I hope this all works out for you. I have heard of people getting refunds but it is a long process. Good luck!!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I'm so sorry!!!! Losing a dream vacation is bad enough, but losing $31,800 in the train trip and cruise just seems criminal!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I’d call Amex again and get a different rep. I’ve heard that Amex has refunded outside of 90 days for cancelled cruises, but that was not for default. Find out if the company was a member of any travel or travel agency groups. Maybes they were bonded? So sorry.
for cruise, dispute charge if it’s been 60 days. We disputed for refund and got it resolved with Citibank in 3 days. I heard the same for Amex. Don’t wait past 60 days for refund.
ncl got big cash infusion in May so should be solvent. Bit make sure to request refund ASAP and not default to cruise credit. Do it in writing and save all emails.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties @Ann-Marie but I suspect there are still a good number of people with similar stories. It has been sad listening to stories about how even those folks who purchased travel insurance are finding out that companies will do everything in their power to avoid refunds. One lesson I have learned from this has been to NOT pay anything in advance.
Best of luck with this.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Absolutely terrible! I hope you had travel insurance for such an expensive trip. If not I would try what Elaine recommended.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that this is the wrong time to mention this, but without travel insurance, you MAY be on your own. Since you already paid the credit card statements, you have no leverage (You cant threaten to withhold payment). As to the NCL cruise, they are financially healthy, and MAY be issuing Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for cancelled cruises. Again, travel insurance would pay if you cancel due to illness or even recommendation from a doc that you don't travel. Sure better (and more expensive) than fighting your own battles.

Jim

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Hope your AMEX ordeal will turn out good. Fingers crossed!
NCL just refunded cash for our two cruises canceled by NCL in April and May.
Don’t let that spoil your anniversary celebration!

geekette

Reaction score
Maybe there will be a class action. They have obvious assets - trains.

I'm so sorry. I would have been so excited about this trip. It's one crappy thing for it to get postponed for pandemic, but, just so much worse that they go completely down the tubes, with your money, and all the others that were going to be on it, too.

I might not be as concerned with the cruise, as others posted.

I'm sorry. But, Happy Anniversary! Money comes and goes, but you have each other.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some travel insurance companies are not paying claims because it was the coronavirus?
I wish you the best of luck on both claims.

Wishing you a Happy Anniversary. Please try to enjoy your Anniversary and all your Happy Memories from the past Forty Four years.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's terrible. Sorry you are going through that and I think you should keep taking it up higher in the chain at American Express. Remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'd also take it to social media places like Facebook and Twitter, etc if American Express has a presence on any of those places.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Some travel insurance companies are not paying claims because it was the coronavirus?
I wish you the best of luck on both claims.

Wishing you a Happy Anniversary. Please try to enjoy your Anniversary and all your Happy Memories from the past Forty Four years.

Good Luck.
I do not have first hand knowledge of this @pedro47 - but I have read this in many places.

GrampaTim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
We were taking the entire family ( 25 people ) to Oregon to celebrate our 50th. Lots of activities planned/reserved. We were driving so that part was easy. Fortunately all reservations were cancelled and deposits returned. Some day this will pass, and those companies will want to have our business so they used smart decision making to handle a "no fault" situation.

When you reserve through an agency, they spend some of that money up front to pay employees for the time booking the trips, and they make deposits. It sounds like this company felt it was easier to walk away then try and recover what funds they can. We know one agency that books expensive student trips, and though they stayed in business, they are only offering partial refunds. To be honest, they don't have the money to give back.

Your direct booking with NCL will likely have a better result. I hope you can plan something else special to celebrate this anniversary.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounded like a wonderful trip.
it is our fiftieth this summer, and we won’t be able to celebrate with family at all

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, There is thread over on Cruise Critic website under NCL
about Tracking Refund Request.

Good Luck.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can argue you filed a claim within 90 days of learning the trip was cancelled.