• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Not brand new but still need suggestions on what to buy next

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned a fixed week at FXR, and traded in II successfully for many years. I got lucky, and got a trade to Marriott's Ko Olina, albeit a trade of my 2 bedroom for a studio, and loved it. I am looking onto a purchase of something new that can get me to Hawaii more often than my current unit can. I was looking at Marriott or Vistana, but not sure what is the best option there, and then started considering Wyndham. I would love suggestions!

12) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Hawaii, Arizona, (Scottsdale and Sedona), and maybe coastal Florida

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

I would like to get to Scottsdale regularly, but not in summer, since I have family there. Hawaii, maybe every other year, due to cost

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

See above, plus possibly the LA/ San Diego/or San Francisco areas, and NYC

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

Moving forward it will usually be 2, but I would like to be able to bring my kids and their partners, so could be up to 6

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

I can travel anytime, but right now the kids are on a school schedule, since one is a teacher. that may change since she may go into administration

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

4-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

$10k but would prefer to spend less

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Per week of vacation I get, about $1500, but again, would prefer to spend less

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
A year ago, I would have suggested Westin Kierland, Vistana Villages, or a Marriott trader such as Grand Chateau. But with the ambiguity surrounding the Marriott/Vistana merger, I would wait until the dust settles and we know what will do what under the new protocols. The good news is that you will only have to wait a couple of months.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Sheraton Desert Oasis are tougher to get than they used to be. Vistana has been taking them back to combat the low prices they are going for. Maybe they are trying to help owners get out and I am just cynical. Nonetheless, the best purchase for what you want, and the least expensive to get would be the SDO. They are all lockoffs.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Maybe Hyatt will fit most of what you're looking to do. They have locations in Sedona, Escondido (just outside San Diego), and coastal Florida. Plus their 2 bedroom units lock off.

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am waffling on waiting, but thought it might be better to get into something before everything is finalized. I am hoping that the Marriott/Vistana preference in II won't disappear, or be too negatively impacted, but I am not really clear on the likelihood of that. Besides talking the forums here, do you ideas where to get good info on the programs, either how they currently work, or thoughts on what will happen?

I was thinking of SDO. I like the idea of a 2 bedroom Kierland, but I am not sure if the mandatory aspect is worth the added cost upfront. I figured I would probably use the full unit sometimes, but more often would lock it off, and either use part and trade part, or rent part. Do you know how hard it is to get a spring training week, if it is part of your season? Most of the ones I have seen were full year floats at SDO, and I know I would be competing with folks with platinum season.

My concern about Hyatt is the smaller footprint of resorts, and the lack of a preference, if I wanted to trade. I did love the resort at Coconut Beach, though.

My other thought was to buy a week at MKO. We loved it, and would be happy to go every year or two. In that case, we would probably rent it out, if we weren't using it. Again, I am not sure how hard it is to get a desirable week. We didn't have a good view, as exchangers, and I know view impacts price a lot there. Do you know if it also significantly impacts ability to rent, and the rates, if I tried to rent out a good week?

Thanks for the suggestions, and the help!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I am waffling on waiting, but thought it might be better to get into something before everything is finalized. I am hoping that the Marriott/Vistana preference in II won't disappear, or be too negatively impacted, but I am not really clear on the likelihood of that. Besides talking the forums here, do you ideas where to get good info on the programs, either how they currently work, or thoughts on what will happen?

I was thinking of SDO. I like the idea of a 2 bedroom Kierland, but I am not sure if the mandatory aspect is worth the added cost upfront. I figured I would probably use the full unit sometimes, but more often would lock it off, and either use part and trade part, or rent part. Do you know how hard it is to get a spring training week, if it is part of your season? Most of the ones I have seen were full year floats at SDO, and I know I would be competing with folks with platinum season.

My concern about Hyatt is the smaller footprint of resorts, and the lack of a preference, if I wanted to trade. I did love the resort at Coconut Beach, though.

My other thought was to buy a week at MKO. We loved it, and would be happy to go every year or two. In that case, we would probably rent it out, if we weren't using it. Again, I am not sure how hard it is to get a desirable week. We didn't have a good view, as exchangers, and I know view impacts price a lot there. Do you know if it also significantly impacts ability to rent, and the rates, if I tried to rent out a good week?

Thanks for the suggestions, and the help!
Really The only way to get a spring training week is to own in that season for WKV. I think WKV is a great option if you plan on locking it off. That small one bedroom will easily get you into Hawaii either via star options at 8 months or Interval! It will have a lot of trade power in interval and be completely worth the upfront cost. The other benefit is you won’t have to pay for an interval membership since it will be included in the VSN fee. If the mandatory resale units get the interval benefits included in the new Club fees we may see no exchange fee for interval internal exchanges plus the priority won’t disappear. I think using WKV for both VSN home resort reservations and locking it off for interval or using the remaining SO for VSN is perfect.

Since you want Sedona and Florida coastal resorts, you may want to look into Hyatt. You’ll be getting excellent resorts plus fantastic trading in interval.

Next up MVC DC points purchased on the resale market. You’ll get pretty much everything you want. But don’t expect too much WKV spring break weeks. Those are in high demand and we have no way of knowing what the inventory in the DC will look like yet.