• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Northstar not available for waitlist for Christmas 2009..why?

twobluecats

Reaction score
I'm confused. I just tried to waitlist for both Tahoe resorts as a first time user, and I was told that only owners at Northstar could reserve or waitlist right now.

Having not owned Hyatt before, I purchased with the understanding that we could stay at any other Hyatt Vacation Club property as long as their was availablity. So, why the exclusion at Northstar? If this is the way other "fractional" clubs are going to work, then I don't think I really got my values worth with this purchase.

Please enlighten me!

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI

NORTHSTAR is NOT even open yet !!!!

When Northstar open up a owner would have to give up one of their weeks before you got into Northstar just like all other Hyatt resorts.

Until Northstar opens and officially opens and they have been signed off the county,state then they have occupancy. Now they only have temporary occupancy.

Waitlist for Nortstar should open up in February or march but remember you will be very luck to get into it because a owner has to give up their and would you give up your week after you just payed 100K. Hyatt management can open up space if they wish to but I think they would rent them our for $$$ first before giving it to us current owners.

If you want Northstar just but it I hear they are giving some nice deals.

twobluecats

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I suppose we can watch for Northstar to open up for a waitlist and add there. Otherwise, the other Tahoe resort looks really nice as well.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
When Hyatt proceeds with a new resort the money usually comes from a developer but Hyatt markets and manages the property. As units are sold they become part of the Hyatt Vacation Club.

There are two categories of units: those that have not been sold and are still owned by the developer and those that are sold and become part of the HVC. The developer is free to do anything with the unsold units. They could be rented or provided to Hyatt for HVC usage just to get some type of revenue rather than remain empty.

If one of the HVC owners decides to not use their unit, it goes into the Club where it becomes available to Club members. Thus, the first step is to get on a wait list then hope that something becomes available. Remember, owners will have more than one week of occupancy at the higher end properties. Therefore, it is quite likely those extra weeks may be provided to the Club and the owners may use their points elsewhere. That helps out for getting a unit but it is highly unlikely those owners will release the most desireable major holiday weeks.

seatrout

Reaction score
Aspen & Northstar

I am on the waitlist for Northstar next xmas (09) from long ago.
There is likely too many people already on the waitlist for the anticipated units-- or maybe it is a computer glitch that I got on.

On a side point-- We are heading to HyattAspen for xmas in two weeks- Since my kids are small, it is very unpredictable how many day we will ski.

Is there fair number of discount ski rental coupons when we get there ?? (the advance reservation only give 5% discount which is not exciting).

If there any are good tips for us, I would appreciate- ie thing to do for kids (I have 3, 8, 9 year old)

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Do you think the ski lift by the resort will be working by Xmas 2009?

seatrout

Reaction score

Don't know. but the room is very nice and the other Hyatt Tahoe does not have ski lift in its front door anyway- so what to loose.

from a realistic standpoint. It is highly unlikely that any unit would be available for general HVC (non northstar owner) anyway.

Divot

Reaction score
You were able to get a confirmed rez at Aspen for Christmas? - WOW! The best deal I found was a half-day pass. For Kids, go to Buttermilk. Aspen Mtn. is advanced, and Snowmass is a little off the beaten path if you're staying at the Grand Aspen. If you buy multiple-day passes, the price drops a bit. There are plenty of rental shops including an on-site rental shop at the Hyatt. There is complementary shuttle service from Hyatt and the city busses are also free. The bus terminal is across the street from the Hyatt.
are also free to the resorts.

newmom2007

Reaction score
I was told that typically when a new resort opens, the owners tend to occupy their weeks for the first one to two years. Not allowing members to place a waiting list is Hyatt's way of not creating false expectations.

Think about it, if you spent 100K on a week and bought it before it was built, wouldn't you want to go see what you spent so much money on?

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score

YES YES YES ski lift next to the Hyatt Northstar will be open by 2009/2010 ski season.

Remember only 10 rooms have been released by HYATT for sale so it will be very hard to get into Northstar but not impossible. Some of Northstar weeks are not fixed weeks for the Northstar owners so I think those will open up first, go to KAL's website for updates.

LET it SNOW SNOW SNOW in TAHOE more snow later next week here in TAHOE.

:cheer: FYI HYATT NORTHSTAR is EXCELLENT all over the TOP TOP TOP FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY.:cheer: thank you Hyatt :cheer: