• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

North Carolina Mountains

rachel1998

Reaction score
I see when I do a search of this area that there are a number of resorts in a number of different towns. I would like to go there next year. Which resorts that trade through RCI are the nicest? I have seen some of the revues. Which towns are the best locations for exploring the area? Also, is it really really hot in the summer?

decolady424

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have stayed at Blue Ridge Village in Boone, and Wyndham Sapphire Valley. Both were very nice, but very far apart! Boone is up in the northern edge of the NC mountains, we were there in August and it was very comfortable. Beautiful area, don't miss Grandfather Mtn.
Sapphire is way down on the southern end of the NC mtns. Also beautiful, much trickier winding mountain roads to get around on. My favorite thing in this area was the shopping in Cashiers, don't miss Victoria's Closet!! Both resorts had units that were not new, the Wyndham unit was much nicer and more comfortable.
Next trip we are going to try Lake Lure, this looks like the closest TS's to Asheville, which is a city we really love.:)

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Blue Ridge Village and the 2 bed room units are 1300-1400 square feet which is a huge timeshare. It is an older resort, but very nicely furnished, roomy, and a place I love to stay. The den is 2 stories tall and there are 2 decks, one off of the upstairs bedroom and the other deck accessed from the den. The indoor pool is nice and the resort has a fishing lake with free padleboats, free 9 hole putt putt course, tennis courts, free board games to carry to the room, and daily guided hikes that are a part of the numerous activities offered by the resort.

The weather in the summer is great. I stayed there last year in July and the highs most days were in the low 80's with lows in the 60's at night. One day when I called the office it was 98 degrees at my hometown. The high that day in Banner Elk was 82. If I was wealthy I would buy a home in the area and spend my summers there to escape the oppressive heat we experience in the southeast.

This is a list of some of the fun things I have done in the area.

Here are some local activities not including hikes to waterfalls, hikes to sliding rocks,whitewater rafting, rock climbing, rapelling, and other outdoor activities like golf and mountain biking.

Sugar mountain has chair lift rides on Saturdays and Sundays almost directly across from the resort. You can sightsee or bring a bike and ride up on the chair lift and back down on mountain bike trails. I think you can rent mountain bikes in the area.
http://www.skisugar.com/liftrides/

This is the Highland games web page. This is an annual event at Granfather Mountain which is about 5 miles from the resort. Look at the pictures and schedule of events.
http://gmhg.org/events.htm

This is the web site for the Tweetsie Railroad Amusement park about 20 miles away in Blowing Rock.
www.tweetsie.com/

This is Grandfather mountain's web site
www.grandfather.com/

This is the Biltmore house web site which is about 2 hours away
www.biltmore.com/

One of many whitewater rafting, caving, and mountain climbing outfitters. Their office is 1 mile from the resort. We went rafting on the nolichucky which is the most challenging with the most rapids, but they have less challenging rivers.
http://www.highmountainexpeditions.com/

Lake Lure is beautiful and about 30 minutes away. This is a site for tours or Boat rentals.
http://www.lakelure.com/rentals.php

Mast General store in Valles Cruscis has been in operation since the lat 1800's. Buy candy out of barrels and take it to the register where they charge you by weight just like the good old days. Get some lye soap, see things you didn't know you could even buy anymore.
http://www.maststoreonline.com/destinations_nchc.cfm

The Blue Ridge Parkway has many scenic overlooks and trails to waterfalls etc. It is beautifull and free.
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

Gem mining in Blowing Rock about 20 minutes from the resort.
http://www.blowingrock.com/members.list.php?memcategoriesid=3527

I love the food at daniel Boone Inn in Boone about 20 miles from the room. Southern Family style meals served in bowls on the table with refills included. Biscuits and ham are specialty. Here are some awards:
The restaurant placed third in Southern Living in the reader's choice awards for country cooking restaurants. They also won first place among readers of Our State Magazine for Family Dining/Country Cooking and third place under Best Restaurant in North Carolina.
http://www.danlbooneinn.com/

The first time I stayed at Blue Ridge Village it was on a trade. After staying a week in the NC Mountains I bought a fixed summer week as soon as I could find a summer week for a good resale price. I love Gatlinburg but it is so crowded and commercialized. The Boone-Banner Elk area has the same beautiful mountains but very few crowds and very little commercialization.

Last edited:

vkrn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Next trip we are going to try Lake Lure, this looks like the closest TS's to Asheville, which is a city we really love.:)

Lake Lure is about an hour away from Asheville on windy, twisty mountain roads. Hard to locate in the dark, so arrive early. It is pretty there. Cabins are nice. Very woodsy setting.

rachel1998

Reaction score
Do you know if it is hard to get an exchange at the Blue Ridge Village or am I better off renting?

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Racheal, Chetola is the best (IMHO) and I do like Blue Ridge Village. I own at Highlands of Sugar and always trade it but it is nice also. I own the week of the Highland Games.

When I am in the Cherokee area I always go to Dillsboro and eat at the Jarred House. The chicken and dumplings are almost as good as mine. I think the food is better there than the Daniel Boone Inn. You can also go on a train ride from there.

If u stay at Sapphire Valley you are in waterfall country. Very many beautiful falls. shaggy

rmatarrese

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Blue Ridge and Saphire, but winter weeks for skiing. I have never actually been to either in the summer. However I agree with all the posts above and can only add that BRV is to begin a complete interior remodel of thier units in 2009. Dont know if they will be done by your visit. Also BRV is more condensed wtih all ammenties in walking distance of the unit. But if you want to swim in sun, forget it as the only pool is indoors.

Saphire is spread out. If you dont get in the Laurel Ridge section (and you probably wont because those are all WYN PTS units), then you will need to use your car to get to the clubhouse, pool and tennis. On the other hand you will have more seclusion and the Fairway Villas section has units on the golf course if that is what you like and Foxhunt has some lake front units. Foxhunt also has some minor interrior rennovations underway.