• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Non-Theme PArk Rainy Day/Cold Weather activities in Orlando?

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Orlando the week of the 1/6 and I'm doing some last minute research.

Right now I'm looking for suggestions for when it's too cold or rainy to be by the pool? I'll be traveling with my boys who will be four [twins] and the rest of the family. I am also looking for non-theme park suggestions, and for ideas that are typically Orlando. In other words, I already have a bag of tricks that I use at home that I can also use in Orlando, e.g, crafts and movie watching while at the resort; going out to the movies or a mall.

So, what are the neat things to do in Orlando when pre-school twins are bouncing off the walls and need to get out?

Charles

klynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
CMF said:
I'll be in Orlando the week of the 1/6 and I'm doing some last minute research.

Right now I'm looking for suggestions for when it's too cold or rainy to be by the pool? I'll be traveling with my boys who will be four [twins] and the rest of the family. I am also looking for non-theme park suggestions, and for ideas that are typically Orlando. In other words, I already have a bag of tricks that I use at home that I can also use in Orlando, e.g, crafts and movie watching while at the resort; going out to the movies or a mall.

So, what are the neat things to do in Orlando when pre-school twins are bouncing off the walls and need to get out?

Charles

How about the Science Museum in downtown Orlando? My kids love it there!

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a good one.

We took the boys to the Baltimore science museum and they enjoyed that. So I'm sure they'll enjoy the Orlando museum.

Charles

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to Downtown Disney and browse around, maybe catch a movie.
Circque de Solei La Nouba
Tour the Disney Resorts.
Have lunch at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Go eat at Disney Wilderness Lodge resort. Ask the front desk for a hidden mickey find-it sheet. Then take the kids on a hidden mickey hunt around the resort. Go over to the Villas at Wilderness Lodge lobby and show the kids the Carrolwood Pacific train cars on loan from the Disney family. They are on display under glass at the villas. The lodge is fun for kids.

If it's not raining, check out the campfire/s'mores at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground. Chip and Dale show up and they show a Disney movie (weather permitting). You may have to bundle the kids up if it's cold.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know you asked about non-theme park ideas but I always go to the parks on the rainy days. Just wear your ponchos! The lines will be shorter anyway. Save the sunny days for hanging around the pool. :)

Deb

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope the weather lasts and you don't have to worry about it! I have been in Orlando the last two days and it has been 80 and sunshine. :D Just perfect. Especially when you left 8" of snow and 32 degrees!

We will practically be neighbors, as I am at Cypress Harbour, MY favorite Orlando Marriott.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Wow, Cindi, that is great weather! We'll be down in a few weeks - I can't wait!

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will do the Parks too.

DebBrown said:
I know you asked about non-theme park ideas but I always go to the parks on the rainy days. Just wear your ponchos! The lines will be shorter anyway. Save the sunny days for hanging around the pool. :)

Deb

Hi Deb, we will spend at least two of the days at the parks. My sister is a cast member at Disney. So I was fishing for other ideas.

There are some good ones here.

Charles

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
littlestar said:
Wow, Cindi, that is great weather! We'll be down in a few weeks - I can't wait!

I hope you get the same wonderful weather. It is suppose to cool off in a few days here, unfortunately. I am hoping they are wrong. ;)

But in the meantime, am I ever enjoying this!!

I hope you enjoy your stay and look forward to hearing about it when you return.

labguides

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an airplane museum near Orlando. Don't know if it would appeal to young children.

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boat ride

While my wife was in a meeting I took a boat ride around some North Orlando lakes close to Rollins College.Lots of nice homes. Think it was $8.00 per person.

PeterS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always save Gaylord Palms for the day with the worst weather...

It is a great resort, outside of Disney with a massive roof covering and extensive area of attractions, restaurants, and shopping, themed to different parts of Florida.. Key West, everglades, St. Augustine, etc..

Too much to list... check out the website...
http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordpalms/

Pete

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Orlando Weather . . .

It looks likle the weather is goint cooperate and won't be a problem for us. It will be cool the first couple of days and we'll go the parks like we always do. The kids are excited about going back. Then it's going to warm up the rest of the week - mid 70's and sunny. We'll use those days to lay by the pool!
Aaaah . . .

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll stow them away for a rainy Orlando day.

Charles

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I took my oldest DD to Orlando back in 1994 (eek!), our favorite place was Discovery Island, the bird sanctuary. Because it's Disney, of course the flamingoes are the PINKEST flamingoes ever and the scarlet ibises are the MOST scarlet ibises ever! Also I remember a lot of peacocks and some very tame albino peahens that walked right up to us.

You can take a boat to get there and they have wonderful bird shows, very funny and interesting. You can get snacks for the kids and walk around and look at the birds. Nice for a cooler or overcast day.