• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Non Recognition of Platinum Elite

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just checked in to Marriott Surfwatch on Hilton Head Island. We are Platinum Elite in Marriott Rewards for many years. When we checked in we were not recognized as Platinum, nor offered our 500 MR points. When I called the Manager on Duty, Holly, I was told that she sees that I am Platinum, but has refused to acknowledge that we are due $100 as the compensation, per Marriott rewards policy, because they are not a Marriott hotel. I am totally confused as it looks like Surfwatch is not complying with Marriott Platinum Elite policy. Please let me know your opinions and feelings on how to proceed.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We just checked in to Marriott Surfwatch on Hilton Head Island. We are Platinum Elite in Marriott Rewards for many years. When we checked in we were not recognized as Platinum, nor offered our 500 MR points. When I called the Manager on Duty, Holly, I was told that she sees that I am Platinum, but has refused to acknowledge that we are due $100 as the compensation, per Marriott rewards policy, because they are not a Marriott hotel. I am totally confused as it looks like Surfwatch is not complying with Marriott Platinum Elite policy. Please let me know your opinions and feelings on how to proceed.

Was this a home resort reservation or a points stay? Or was it an II exchange. If an II exchange, was your MR number attached to the reservation? In a lot of cases, MVCI properties automatically give the 500 MR points as the Platinum Arrival Gift. There is usually a card included in the welcome packet.

If your MR number was on the reservation and you not recognized for your status and no gift offered, you are due you due the compensation.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
II Exchange

Dioxide- This was an II exchange that was posted on our MR account. No acknowledgement of Platinum nor 500 points due. We always have our exchanges listed on our MR account. How do you think I should proceed?

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is a lifetime platinum member. Just looked at his account. We recently stayed at Aruba Surf Club using different types of reservations, our homeweek, destination points and II exchange. Only the reservation using the homeweek got the extra 500 "platinum points". All the reservations prior to the trip showed up on his Marriott account. Not sure if that's the policy but at least in Aruba it seemed to be.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't let this ruin your vacation at this point. Check your "Folio" when you check out to see if any points or compensation have been added....

If not, then you can worry about how you want to proceed after the fact.

Best of luck!

gsb

Reaction score
The Platinum Welcome Gift is not dependent on ownership. You should receive the 500 points regardless of whether you own, have traded in, or are renting from Marriott.

I think once you check out it's too late to pursue compensation. You might still receive the 500 points, but not the $100.

While I'm not a fan of demanding the compensation (I've only done it once, and only because the front desk people were rude about it), if you want to pursue it, I would pull up the guarantee on my phone and show the manager. If that doesn't work I would call the Platinum line and ask them for help.

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lack of training and compliance with Platinum Elite rules

This will not cause us to not thoroughly enjoy our trip. It seems that front desk staff and management at SurfWatch either don't understand nor care to realize that they may be incorrect in their interpretation of their own (Marriott) rules and policies.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't let this ruin your vacation at this point. Check your "Folio" when you check out to see if any points or compensation have been added....

Best of luck!

I agree....enjoy your vacation. 500 points is not worth it and the welcome gift is whatever...$5 bag of candy.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I covered this topic thoroughly with Marriott when we did not get a posting after a stay last winter. Their official position: If you get the 500 points there is no compensation. Being told of it at check-in is not required if there is no choice of gift except points.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Does it matter when the 500 points are added to your account. For example if you don't receive them even after mentioning it while at the resort are you entitled to the compensation or is your only recourse after reporting it, to re-report it until you are credited with with 500 points?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Does it matter when the 500 points are added to your account. For example if you don't receive them even after mentioning it while at the resort are you entitled to the compensation or is your only recourse after reporting it, to re-report it until you are credited with with 500 points?
It does not seem logical, but they told me that the compensation does not apply to points that are credited late, even if you had to report the omission. Their rationale was that you were not harmed and got what you deserved, namely the 500 points. By contrast, if your gift was something else and you did not receive it to enjoy during your stay you were harmed and deserved the compensation.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does not seem logical, but they told me that the compensation does not apply to points that are credited late, even if you had to report the omission. Their rationale was that you were not harmed and got what you deserved, namely the 500 points. By contrast, if your gift was something else and you did not receive it to enjoy during your stay you were harmed and deserved the compensation.

So Hotel is wrong on not being policy.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
#7 specifically list MVC as part of $100 guarantee.

Usually if they fix the problem before you check out there is no compensation.
I would call Marriott elite desk customer service and talk to them.

As a rule, I talk to hotel first but if I don't like the answer, call the Platinum Customer Service line and see what they say.

My guess is you will get same answer (they fixed it so no issue).

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Hello Ira.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care today.

Unfortunately Marriott Vacation Club properties do not participate in the Platinum Welcome Gift benefit. Marriott Vacation Club also does not participate in the breakfast benefit. You may view your Platinum benefits at:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/platinum.mi"

This is the answer I received from Marriott. Unfortunately, I think that their customer service really doesn't understand their own program.

PS- This is what I received from Marriott today. Congratulations on
Celebrating 27 Years with Marriott Rewards.
Ira, we appreciate your loyalty and thank you for your membership!
Make your experience even more rewarding by updating your profile.

Kind of funny that I received both of these today.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
"Hello Ira.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care today.

Unfortunately Marriott Vacation Club properties do not participate in the Platinum Welcome Gift benefit. Marriott Vacation Club also does not participate in the breakfast benefit. You may view your Platinum benefits at:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/platinum.mi"

This is the answer I received from Marriott. Unfortunately, I think that their customer service really doesn't understand their own program.

PS- This is what I received from Marriott today. Congratulations on
Celebrating 27 Years with Marriott Rewards.
Ira, we appreciate your loyalty and thank you for your membership!
Make your experience even more rewarding by updating your profile.

Kind of funny that I received both of these today.

The 500 Plat Arrival Gift has been credited to our account for all of our stays at SurfWatch including home resort, DC Points, cash, II exchange stays. They mention it at check-in by showing us the pre-printed card before they put the card into the Welcome Packet with all the other paperwork.

If that procedure isn't followed then the $100 Guarantee is due as long as it's requested prior to check-out. It's not correct as some are saying here that MVCI stays aren't eligible (except as noted) for either the Gift or the Guarantee, and I would argue that the fact that the Gift is singly 500 MRP and not a choice has nothing to do with the Guarantee. If you wait until the folio posts after check-out to see if the Plat Gift MRP post and they don't, you'll have no claim on invoking the Guarantee.

It's supposed to be a recognition program; Plat status should be recognized at check-in. This is how I would respond:

"Unfortunately, your information is incorrect. Please escalate my concerns to your superior who hopefully has a better understanding of Marriott Vacation Club's integration with Marriott Rewards.

- from the Rewards Terms and Conditions link at marriott.com:

11. Members may earn Points or Miles and may redeem Points at participating Marriott hotel brands and Ritz-Carlton hotels:
... p. Marriott Vacation® Club International - all locations except:
Marriott's StreamSide Evergreen, Vail, CO
Marriott's StreamSide Douglas, Vail, CO
Marriott's StreamSide Birch, Vail, CO
47 Park Street - Marriott Grand Residence Club, UK
Marriott's Bangkok Empire Place, Bangkok, Thailand ...

and from the Elite Membership link at marriott.com:

... Additional Platinum Membership Benefits:
1. Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott hotel brands. See below for Platinum Arrival Gift options by brand:

Brand / Gift
Marriott Vacation Club / 500 bonus points ...

7. Guaranteed Platinum Arrival Gift is available at all participating Marriott Hotel brands. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies (see below):

Brand / Guest Compensation*
Marriott Vacation Club / $100 USD

{ETA} I also checked out the link that was provided to Ira in that email, http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/platinum.mi, and followed the "Guarantee Platinum Arrival Gift - Learn more" link on that page to the Marriott Rewards Elite Benefit Guarantee page. "Marriott Vacation Club" is featured in its own box in the chart on the lower right, with the 500 MRP Gift and the $100 Guarantee. Again, I'd ask to be escalated to a superior who understands the programs and reads the links that they provide for information.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is interesting because I don't remember ever once being offered 500 points or it being mentioned that I am Platinum. It's just added later, but never mentioned when I check in. Perhaps it might have been at Surfwatch but most definitely not at Lakeshore, Harbour Lake, Ocean Pointe, Oceana Palms, Cypress Harbour, Sabal Palms, Royal Palms, Grande Vista, or Grand Ocean.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
This is interesting because I don't remember ever once being offered 500 points. It's just added later, but never mentioned when I check in. Perhaps it might have been at Surfwatch but most definitely not at Lakeshore, Harbour Lake, Ocean Pointe, Oceana Palms, Cypress Harbour, Sabal Palms, Royal Palms, Grande Vista, or Grand Ocean.

At my Ocean Pointe check this past Thursday....they recognized my Platinum status, thanked me for my loyalty and said my 500 points will be posted to my account that day. I seem to recall it being mentioned at about half of my MVC stays, but either way, I have always gotten the 500 points, except for a recent stay at MFC, where I had to call MR's after the fact to get it posted.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
At my Ocean Pointe check this past Thursday....they recognized my Platinum status, thanked me for my loyalty and said my 500 points will be posted to my account that day. I seem to recall it being mentioned at about half of my MVC stays, but either way, I have always gotten the 500 points, except for a recent stay at MFC, where I had to call MR's after the fact to get it posted.

I get the 500 points too but they never mention it. Further more, I looked at the so called guarantee and in reality it really does not apply to MVC. The reason is because there is no choice in a gift or the points. You only get the points. You should only be entitled to $100 if they do not give the 500 points and you have to call for it. Otherwise I'm not sure what the argument is here. You want them to tell you they will give you 500 points before they actually do it? The whole point is the 500 points. Not a loophole to score a free $100.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Best of luck!

I agree....enjoy your vacation. 500 points is not worth it and the welcome gift is whatever...$5 bag of candy.

I honestly don't understand why these mindsets and similar ones persist on TUG. The t&c's clearly say that Marriott Vacation Club participates in the Platinum Arrival Gift program, and the rules clearly state that the Guarantee for it not being offered at check-in MUST be invoked prior to check-out. Scoffing at the relative worth of the Gift is beside the point, and, waiting until a folio is issued to see if the MRP post negates the terms of the Guarantee if they don't.

As long as Marriott clearly offers it and has rules that must be followed to claim it, why shouldn't we insist that Marriott follow those rules and give us what's rightfully ours? We wouldn't, and nor should we, accept Marriott shortchanging us with respect to any other facet of our ownership.

Boca, your post concerns me more than any other in this thread. I'm really not happy reading that you weren't successful in following up your issue. Grrrrr.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why these mindsets and similar ones persist on TUG. The t&c's clearly say that Marriott Vacation Club participates in the Platinum Arrival Gift program, and the rules clearly state that the Guarantee for it not being offered at check-in MUST be invoked prior to check-out. Scoffing at the relative worth of the Gift is beside the point, and, waiting until a folio is issued negates the terms of the Guarantee.

As long as Marriott clearly offers it and has rules that must be followed to claim it, why shouldn't we insist that Marriott follow those rules and give us what's rightfully ours? We wouldn't, and nor should we, accept Marriott shortchanging us with respect to any other facet of our ownership.

Boca, your post concerns me more than any other in this thread. I'm really not happy reading that you weren't successful in following up your issue. Grrrrr.

Where does it say this???

Get more when you check in. As a Platinum member, you’ll receive a special gift upon arrival at all participating hotels, offering you a choice of an amenity gift or bonus points. (Amenity gift not available at The Ritz-Carlton, EDITION and Marriott Vacation Club locations.) If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies. [PLATINUM ONLY]

The above does not state that the guarantee must be offered at check-in as you state. That is only for the choice in gifts, which it clearly states does not apply to MVC. It says the guarantee must be met. Receiving 500 points is meeting the guarantee and therefore complies with the t&c of the policy.

If you sued in court for the $100 even though you promptly received the 500 points you would lose 100% of the time.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I get the 500 points too but they never mention it. Further more, I looked at the so called guarantee and in reality it really does not apply to MVC. The reason is because there is no choice in a gift or the points. You only get the points. You should only be entitled to $100 if they do not give the 500 points and you have to call for it. Otherwise I'm not sure what the argument is here. You want them to tell you they will give you 500 points before they actually do it? The whole point is the 500 points. Not a loophole to score a free $100.

But again, if the MRP don't post after the stay and you have to call to claim them, according to the rules you can't also claim the $100 Guarantee then because you've already checked out.

It's simply not our fault that the way Marriott has written the rules practically demands that the front desk reps acknowledge Platinum MR status at check-in, or else risk the $100 Guarantee being claimed. If they're going to argue against the hoops they put us through, they probably should change the way the t&c's are written.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For what it's worth, we've only once not had Plat status recognized at check-in at any MVC resorts. I pointed it out and they apologized and noted it. I didn't make a claim for the Guarantee, didn't make a fuss, simply took it as an honest mistake.

But I'd fuss all the way to Kingdom Come and back again if I came across responses to inquiries like the ones Ira and Boca have related in this thread. They sent Ira a link that clearly contrasts with the information they stated!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
But again, if the MRP don't post after the stay and you have to call to claim them, according to the rules you can't also claim the $100 Guarantee then because you've already checked out.

It's simply not our fault that the way Marriott has written the rules practically demands that the front desk reps acknowledge Platinum MR status at check-in, or else risk the $100 Guarantee being claimed. If they're going to argue against the hoops they put us through, they probably should change the way the t&c's are written.

I see. I backtrack. I did not realize that you cannot claim the $100 if you already checked out. Since their stance is not to pay the $100 having it in the T&C seems silly.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, we've only once not had Plat status recognized at check-in at any MVC resorts. I pointed it out and they apologized and noted it. I didn't make a claim for the Guarantee, didn't make a fuss, simply took it as an honest mistake.

But I'd fuss all the way to Kingdom Come and back again if I came across responses to inquiries like the ones Ira and Boca have related in this thread. They sent Ira a link that clearly contrasts with the information they stated!

I'm at Harbour Lake and I just realized why it wasn't mentioned. The rez is on another Tuggers MRP, so that makes sense. It's probably mentioned to me more than I realize. I'm usually wanting them to hurry so I can get my kids to the room.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where does it say this???

The above does not state that the guarantee must be offered at check-in as you state. That is only for the choice in gifts, which it clearly states does not apply to MVC. It says the guarantee must be met. Receiving 500 points is meeting the guarantee and therefore complies with the t&c of the policy.

If you sued in court for the $100 even though you promptly received the 500 points you would lose 100% of the time.

Again, I disagree. The process demands that they acknowledge Plat status at check-in or risk the Guarantee being invoked. They determine the process, not us.

Of course I wouldn't sue but exec level folks would hear from me. :D

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

But it seems they already called, complained, etc. before they checked out. So according to what you are saying, they "should" get the $100 if the 500 pts is not credited.
As to:
I honestly don't understand why these mindsets and similar ones persist on TUG.
I wholeheartedly agree with TheTimeTraveler. I think that many just don't understand the "mindset" of those that spend any measure of time worrying about a gift of $5 worth of points or candy while on vacation because you weren't "recognized."