• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No week

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned at Marriott for over 20 years and never has this happened. I have two floating weeks at Marriott Cypress Harbour, in two different seasons. Due to many factors, I didn't book my special week in the timeframe I was apparently suppose to. Now it shows nothing available. Nada. Legally don't they have to give me something? I paid $1400 for the MF for this and there is nothing available? I have only checked online, not called. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do I have any legal recourse? I would like to know before I call.
It sounds like you're talking 2021 instead of 2022 and if so, there would only be a couple of weeks left in the season. Unless you'd use it personally, if that's the case, you'd be better off with a deposit MVC has previously placed into II. If it's actually 2022 then there are still a couple of weeks that are not open to book yet. You should call MVC tomorrow and make sure you own. In the future you should always book early even if your plans are uncertain. You can always change subject to availability and it gives you more exchange options.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it happened to me. It's why I exited Marriott. No matter how you cut it, SOMEBODY got the value you paid for. Effectively Marriott did. They got what ever value your week got them, either in the II dump, or as a cash week rental. I'm certain some value was received.
It's not about who got the value, it's about understanding the rules and regulations. It sounds like you did not understand the rules and reservation process and it bit you. That's a lesson we've all learned at one time or another but when that's the case, it's on us, not the system. That they even give you the II deposit in this situation is more than they are required to do.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I take the blame for not reserving in time, but OTOH, shouldn't I get SOMETHING for my $1400?? They could deposit anything in II and it would be better than just waving goodbye to all that money. I have a special week in Orlando, so there should still be the possibility of the end of Dec.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're talking 2021 instead of 2022 and if so, there would only be a couple of weeks left in the season. Unless you'd use it personally, if that's the case, you'd be better off with a deposit MVC has previously placed into II. If it's actually 2022 then there are still a couple of weeks that are not open to book yet. You should call MVC tomorrow and make sure you own. In the future you should always book early even if your plans are uncertain. You can always change subject to availability and it gives you more exchange options.

Yes, it is for 2021. We have had so many issues in our family, it just totally spaced out of my mind. Thank you for the options.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I take the blame for not reserving in time, but OTOH, shouldn't I get SOMETHING for my $1400?? They could deposit anything in II and it would be better than just waving goodbye to all that money. I have a special week in Orlando, so there should still be the possibility of the end of Dec.
Given the popularity and demand for weeks 51 & 52, it's unlikely that there is any availability there, contact MVC and see what options they give you. Do you have an II account already? If so, it's a pretty easy process. If not, you'll have to decide if it's worth joining for this option. If the week is enrolled, you will have an account and less fees in doing so. You really don't want a week that starts in the next couple of weeks anyway unless you want to use it personally. The II option is by far your best it appears in this situation. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
There is certainly some risk with not getting what you want with points or a floating week. That is were a fixed week at your favorite location is a real winner. Everyone is different and has their own travel preferences. I certainly understand your frustration. If you are on points/float you have to plan ahead or be flexible. You should always be able to deposit in II. The sooner the better.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it happened to me. It's why I exited Marriott.

A man after my own heart. Many, many years ago when Marriott went on a tear changing my non-contractual benefits I sold my 4 Weeks for $85,000. Who knows what they would be worth today? It is not just Marriott but when companies start screwing me over I vote with my feet. In most cases I have been better off for it...

George

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
No, I called on the first morning available - period. All of 1-17 was booked within 40 minutes. The only thing available was the summer period (not 51 &52) June, July, and August. Of that, only a week in August was available. I called early enough to book week 1. (As a mater of fact, I was <trying> to book week 1.) So, as of the opening of the 12 month booking period, ALL WEEKS 1-17 HAD BEEN BOOKED!

So how did I get left out?
It seems you no longer even own Marriott. So how many years ago was this exactly? Can you recall specific details of when you called, how many times you call?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
for the benefit of @cindi and @Ralph Sir Edward and others unfamiliar with Marriott's res system, I'd like to share what I did to make about 80 successful and consecutive reservations with Marriott over the past 12 years. I go to the marriottvacationclub.com site and find the Helpful tools section and find the clickable "when can I reserve". Marriott releases a week of inventory about 1 year in advance. They release all of the week's inventory on a single day. So, for example, if I wanted to book Thursday June 2, 2022 or Sunday June 5, etc., I plug in those dates and Marriott tells me that if I'm reserving on a 12 month basis, I need to book either of these dates on Thursday, June 2, 2011. If I'm on a 13 month basis (multiple weeks) I should book on Monday May 3, 2021. The phones and internet are activated at 9 am Florida time.

With my non-Marriott weeks (Sands of Kahana) it is similar but not exactly the same. I book exactly 365 days in advance on a rolling basis.

So, I will set the alarm clock (I'm 3 time zones from Florida), and either be on the phone or internet when the first open. It has worked every single time for me. Yes, I have a "season" (red and white) but they don't open an entire season at once. It is done a year in advance on a week by week basis or on a 365 day basis (depends on which of my timeshares I'm reserving). For high demand weeks (like Thanksgiving in Palm Desert) it is necessary to do this. The OP and Ralph didn't do this and it is understandable why they had a problem.

And yes, Marriott will give you a replacement week. It shows up in your ii account just like you made the deposit and you can use it to exchange. Mine were good for about a year and traded fairly well.

Cindi, I'm interpreting your "special week" as being weeks 51 and 52. At week 51 of last year (2020), the owners of those weeks reserved them. Perhaps within a few hours of becoming available, all were probably snatched up. That is why you are having a problem. Contact Marriott and work with them to get a replacement week. You likely won't be able to exchange back into weeks 51 or 52, but should be able to find something, somewhere to exchange into.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindi, I'm interpreting your "special week" as being weeks 51 and 52. At week 51 of last year (2020), the owners of those weeks reserved them. Perhaps within a few hours of becoming available, all were probably snatched up. That is why you are having a problem. Contact Marriott and work with them to get a replacement week. You likely won't be able to exchange back into weeks 51 or 52, but should be able to find something, somewhere to exchange into.
CH has a season called "Special" that's 1-17 & 51-52. 24-33 is "Summer". As compared to GV which rolls those together with a minor variation.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the popularity and demand for weeks 51 & 52, it's unlikely that there is any availability there, contact MVC and see what options they give you. Do you have an II account already? If so, it's a pretty easy process. If not, you'll have to decide if it's worth joining for this option. If the week is enrolled, you will have an account and less fees in doing so. You really don't want a week that starts in the next couple of weeks anyway unless you want to use it personally. The II option is by far your best it appears in this situation. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I do have an account with Interval. I am guessing that is the route to go. I still haven't taken the time to call Marriott with all the family furrows going on. I need to just make time. Thanks for your comment.