• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No week

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned at Marriott for over 20 years and never has this happened. I have two floating weeks at Marriott Cypress Harbour, in two different seasons. Due to many factors, I didn't book my special week in the timeframe I was apparently suppose to. Now it shows nothing available. Nada. Legally don't they have to give me something? I paid $1400 for the MF for this and there is nothing available? I have only checked online, not called. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do I have any legal recourse? I would like to know before I call.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Usually Marriott will give you a replacement week that can be deposited into II if no weeks are available in your season. If your season hasn't started yet then there should be something left. If it has, then the week that was available for you unreserved was one that is already passed and it isn't Marriott's fault that you didn't reserve it.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
As other said, if it is 2022, then there should be a week available. For instance I my season is first months of year and last months of year, so it won't show available for the later months.
If you are trying to reserve 2021 and you season included start of year than you may be out of luck, since other weeks are gone and "your" week already passed unused.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned at Marriott for over 20 years and never has this happened. I have two floating weeks at Marriott Cypress Harbour, in two different seasons. Due to many factors, I didn't book my special week in the timeframe I was apparently suppose to. Now it shows nothing available. Nada. Legally don't they have to give me something? I paid $1400 for the MF for this and there is nothing available? I have only checked online, not called. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do I have any legal recourse? I would like to know before I call.

Yes, it happened to me. It's why I exited Marriott. No matter how you cut it, SOMEBODY got the value you paid for. Effectively Marriott did. They got what ever value your week got them, either in the II dump, or as a cash week rental. I'm certain some value was received.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes, it happened to me. It's why I exited Marriott. No matter how you cut it, SOMEBODY got the value you paid for. Effectively Marriott did. They got what ever value your week got them, either in the II dump, or as a cash week rental. I'm certain some value was received.
which is why they will usually offer you the II replacement week, which is basically what they got for dumping weeks they anticipated no one would reserve into II.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happened to me when I purchased a week, season had started, all weeks gone. MVCI did in fact give a replacement week, and it traded well in II.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
which is why they will usually offer you the II replacement week, which is basically what they got for dumping weeks they anticipated no one would reserve into II.

And why should they be dumping a PAID FOR week into II? If it doesn't get used, it doesn't get used. That's the business of the T/S owner, or should be. (That does not mean that Marriott can't dump unsold timeshares onto II, Marriott own them. But not without the permission of the T/S week owner if it isn't owned by Marriott.)

Frankly, I consider the whole Marriott booking system to be irredeemable.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Usually at 75 days out if something isn't reserved, Marriott gets ownership of it. This is written into the condo CC&R documents. They are legally allowed to take it if owners don't reserve it. Marriott then has several outlets for that week. DC point reservations, cash reservations on Marriott.com or depositing it into II.

Special season is weeks 1-17 and 51 and 52. Weeks 51 and 52 book up well in advance. SOmetimes right at the 13/12 month mark. Week 17 is only a few weeks away. As soon as a unit/week sits empty in week 1 because someone didn't reserve it, there will be an out of balance because they will then try to reserve something for the other weeks. The further you go into the years, the bigger the issue.

Take the replacement week in II. It is ultimately your responsibility to make the reservation. Once inside of 75 days, it isn't your to book any more.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about outside 75 days?

I tried to book Royal Palms (which I owned) when the booking window opened for the season. Split season, winter and summer. I couldn't get in at the 9:00 AM booking time, couldn't get through for 40 minutes. Winter was all booked up; the only thing was available was August. Decided not to book August. 76 days before the start of the summer season, decided to book August and dump into II.

No availability.

Where did the availability go?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When the season opened up you could only book the one week that was 12 months out (or 13 if you were booking concurrently/consecutively). Did you try every week during that winter season? Yes that is a pain in the ass, but that is the way the system works for really high demand weeks. Orlando isn't that hard to book. I can't believe if you called once a month in Jan, Feb and March the year before that you couldn't get a week.

and royal palms red season is 1-17 and 26-35.

So 9am on Jan 1 the year before, I don't know how they could have been offering you an August week for the next year or are you saying you called on Jan 1 of your use year and they said nothing was available until August and then you waited again until mid May to try again during your use year and they said nothing was available?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
How about outside 75 days?

I tried to book Royal Palms (which I owned) when the booking window opened for the season. Split season, winter and summer. I couldn't get in at the 9:00 AM booking time, couldn't get through for 40 minutes. Winter was all booked up; the only thing was available was August. Decided not to book August. 76 days before the start of the summer season, decided to book August and dump into II.

No availability.

Where did the availability go?
Once a unit in the first week in a season sits empty, there will be an owner that can't get a reservation. One can only reserve weeks into the future. Sounds like you own Red season at Royal Palms. If you call on week 17 to try to reserve summer of the same year, chances are that many units during weeks 1-17 went unreserved. Those owners are booking other weeks in the summer and weeks 51/52.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

Could you please explain what your “special week” means? Do you mean you did not reserve your unit within the timeframe provided byMarriott? I’m trying to understand the problem.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

I notice you always seem to bring up your discontent and why you no longer own Marriott. Marriott is not perfect by any stretch of one’s imagination, however, one must do their due diligence to work within the guidelines given. If after that there is a problem. then a complaint can be stated against Marriott.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once a unit in the first week in a season sits empty, there will be an owner that can't get a reservation. One can only reserve weeks into the future. Sounds like you own Red season at Royal Palms. If you call on week 17 to try to reserve summer of the same year, chances are that many units during weeks 1-17 went unreserved. Those owners are booking other weeks in the summer and weeks 51/52.

No, I called on the first morning available - period. All of 1-17 was booked within 40 minutes. The only thing available was the summer period (not 51 &52) June, July, and August. Of that, only a week in August was available. I called early enough to book week 1. (As a mater of fact, I was <trying> to book week 1.) So, as of the opening of the 12 month booking period, ALL WEEKS 1-17 HAD BEEN BOOKED!

So how did I get left out?

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I notice you always seem to bring up your discontent and why you no longer own Marriott. Marriott is not perfect by any stretch of one’s imagination, however, one must do their due diligence to work within the guidelines given. If after that there is a problem. then a complaint can be stated against Marriott.
The OP had the same problem and asked if anybody else did. I responded. Why not? I am pointing out the inherent inequities of the Marriott booking system, and pointing out to the OP that the only real solutions are to either leave Marriott, or tolerate the occasional $1,000+ rip off. I chose the former, and went with a more suitable timeshare system (Hilton).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I called on the first morning available - period. All of 1-17 was booked within 40 minutes. The only thing available was the summer period (not 51 &52) June, July, and August. Of that, only a week in August was available. I called early enough to book week 1. (As a mater of fact, I was <trying> to book week 1.) So, as of the opening of the 12 month booking period, ALL WEEKS 1-17 HAD BEEN BOOKED!

Why did you call instead of booking online at 12 month?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

‘And Marriott offered nothing?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I don't think you understand the booking system. If you called on the first morning of availability, the only week that could be booked was week 1. You would have had to call again the following week on the first morning of availability for week 2 to check about week 2. There was no way they could have offered you anything in the summer 18 months prior to the summer.

And the system Marriott uses is similar to at least 80% of float timeshare weeks. I think you would be unhappy with any float system.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading this thread is why I have come to the conclusion that "floating" may not be the route to go. I now would much prefer having a fixed, or a couple of fixed weeks each and every year.

You always know where you stand, and when you are to report. None of the BS of calling 8, 10, 12 or 13 months in advance and trying to reserve when you'd like to go. Just report on the same week each and every year, and you always know you can make your airline reservations 330 days in advance of your "owned" regular check in date.

Marriott knows it can place a premium price on certain weeks (think week 7, 51, 52) and some resorts make you pay dearly for those certain fixed weeks (think Oceana Palms or Crystal Shores).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

What date or dates did you call? If you called only once, you didn't call the first week that inventory was available for all weeks. If you called 17 times for weeks 1-17, then there may be an issue, but I am not thinking you did.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No. TUGGERs told me to call back and request an II replacement week. And pay the II fee to get it, for a week I was going to deposit into II anyways. Sorry, no compute.
Did you call Marriott to get the replacement week. If you were going to deposit it anyway, there is no extra fee on top of that from Marriott or II other than the exchagne fee you would be paying no matter what. If the week is enrolled, then there would be no fees at all.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
My point was/is that I would be paying an exchange fee to use something I should have been able to use without it.

You haven't answer my question of - why, at day 76 before the summer season opened, all the weeks were booked for use. What happened to the fact that 1-17 had been totally booked before? (Split Red season - winter and summer)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My point was/is that I would be paying an exchange fee to use something I should have been able to use without it.

You haven't answer my question of - why, at day 76 before the summer season opened, all the weeks were booked for use. What happened to the fact that 1-17 had been totally booked before? (Split Red season - winter and summer)
It seems like you called on Jan 1 of your use year was told there was nothing before august, refused that and then mid May called and tried to get the August week but it was no longer available.

That happened because at 75 days before the 1-17 weeks, Marriott could take and deposit those weeks into II using previous years estimates of how many of each week goes unused. You did call before the start of your season and were offered a week. You didn't want that week. You waited and by the time you called back 5 months later nothing was available in the summer. For all you know there were cancellation within that 1-17 part of your season, Maybe in Feb, 5 owners who had reserved April weeks, called and cancelled and decided to change to August weeks. Like I said, Orlando is popular but not that popular.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

At day 76 before summer, owners have already been making reservations for at least 10 months. Something you can do too.