• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No Return Costco

geekette

Reaction score
We only have 2 months supply of TP and this TP shortage is getting me a little concerned. I have a year's worth of shampoo and body wash. So you get an idea that I stock up household supplies. I don't want to go into the stores anymore but I really hope that TP start showing up in the stores shelves again.

I figured when I was down to 2 rolls, I'd place an order, hopefully by then, it won't be backorder. no clue how it's going on shelves here, I had what I needed before it was March, I was early to avoiding people, and knew a freakout was coming. From footage I've seen on tv, no way I want to be anywhere near a store right now, still a bit too many people for me. I'm sure some of it is cabin fever vs actual Need.

I've been doing more of a JIT the past few years, conserving cash, stretching resources until cabinet nearly bare and making do without (not tp, tho!) I would not want to stock a year's worth of anything. I don't have the space and it's unlikely that I would have to hole up here for an entire year. even if all our tall trees fell on our roads, my legs work, I can hike a couple miles for provisions.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For those of us who need TP and sanitzing wipes, maybe we can stand by the door with another sign, "WE WILL BUY YOUR RETURNS AT COST".
When I was in Costco last week (don't even remember if it was last week at this point), I had to renew our membership and did it at the customer service desk as we wanted to drop from Executive to Gold Star, I saw a package of TP behind the counter that looked like it was returned. I considered asking if I could buy it as there was none left in the store. You just never know why it was returned.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm seeing TP in unlikely stores lately. Home Depot. Ace Hardware. A local art supply store. Places that never had it before suddenly are carrying it. Think creatively, make a few phone calls, and you might be able to find what you're after. Good luck!

Dave

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Teenage cashier doesn't give any kind of a crap, thinks nothing of it. Why would they? I do not invite comment on my purchases. For all they know, the local restaurant put out food poisoning and I have family members confined to bathrooms back home.

Stores sell stuff. Stuff sold. Weird inventory pattern noticed, action taken.

This doesn't happen when an ice storm or blizzard is coming. Overbuying, yes. If you are late to the party, no bread or milk for you. I don't ever recall an empty shelf of TP before.

Even the teenagers know better than you. See something strange - get the boss..

[QUOTE code repaired]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Teenage cashier doesn't give any kind of a crap, thinks nothing of it. Why would they? I do not invite comment on my purchases. For all they know, the local restaurant put out food poisoning and I have family members confined to bathrooms back home.

Stores sell stuff. Stuff sold. Weird inventory pattern noticed, action taken.

This doesn't happen when an ice storm or blizzard is coming. Overbuying, yes. If you are late to the party, no bread or milk for you. I don't ever recall an empty shelf of TP before.
Teenage cashier should have been told to limit purchases. It's what we do in our store to take care of more people. When the kid sees something funny, he or she calls the boss. Simple as that. Not her problem. Not that difficult Apparently the teenage cashiers think more about store policy than you can give them credit for.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for Costco and I hope Costco is protecting all their dedicated workers.

geekette

Reaction score
Teenage cashier should have been told to limit purchases. It's what we do in our store to take care of more people. When the kid sees something funny, he or she calls the boss. Simple as that. Not her problem. Not that difficult Apparently the teenage cashiers think more about store policy than you can give them credit for.
Well, goody for you. People aren't making a career of it, they are scanning codes and bagging stuff. That's it, What "credit for thinking about store policy" should I give them? Seriously??? What a strange thing to say after stores were picked clean.

Apparently there was no "watch for TP purchases" order for them to follow. How brilliant of you to pass the word well in advance of the run on TP. Apparently not everyone has the same crystal ball that you do. I guess yours was the only store that limited every single item and had cashiers eagle-eyeing everyones purchases just in case they might be up to something. Ye gads, what if I had attempted to buy TWO boxes of tampons!? Alert the authorities! " We got a bleeder, aisle 3!"

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
What???
Really?

Wrong!!!!!!!!

Retailers are there for the consumer
I’m having a party. Need all your 7up and you want an alarm sounded?? WTH?

Omg. That is why I actually think people are stupid. Comments like that

so. Tomorrow there’s a global fire and Costco is at fault for a run on fire extinguishers??

retailers have a normal weekly order and the rings add or subtract to the normal amount
But the idiots were in a frenzy and the computers couldn’t order for the entire country all at once
Well, goody for you. People aren't making a career of it, they are scanning codes and bagging stuff. That's it, Apparently there was no "watch for TP purchases" order for them to follow. How brilliant of you to pass the word well in advance of the run on TP. Apparently not everyone has the same crystal ball that you do.
Well, goody for you. People aren't making a career of it, they are scanning codes and bagging stuff. That's it, What "credit for thinking about store policy" should I give them? Seriously??? What a strange thing to say after stores were picked clean.

Apparently there was no "watch for TP purchases" order for them to follow. How brilliant of you to pass the word well in advance of the run on TP. Apparently not everyone has the same crystal ball that you do. I guess yours was the only store that limited every single item and had cashiers eagle-eyeing everyones purchases just in case they might be up to something. Ye gads, what if I had attempted to buy TWO boxes of tampons!? Alert the authorities! " We got a bleeder, aisle 3!"

this is 100% the public’s fault
Retailers are there for ALL their consumers, not just the ones who see fit to haul a full shopping cart full of TP out the door. The retailer needs to make as many customers as possible get what they can, not sell it all to the first greedy customer in line. YOUR way of thinking is causing all the empty shelves. You are a DISGRACE!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I’m having a party. Need all your 7up and you want an alarm sounded?? WTH?

Omg. That is why I actually think people are stupid. Comments like that

so. Tomorrow there’s a global fire and Costco is at fault for a run on fire extinguishers??

Are you really this insane?

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at Target today (late afternoon) and noticed a couple of people walking out with TP in their carts. I don't know if there was a limit, but each person had just one package. I'm not in need of TP so I didn't go check the aisle.

If you're still looking for TP you might try Target tomorrow.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Went to Costco Tuesday and couldn't find toilet papers, flour or cooking oil! The Toto Washlet was on sale so we bought one and DH installed it. Works great!
On the other hand, eggs were available and limit one per customer. Glad they have implemented limit on the popular items.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still can’t figure out why people return TP. I purchased too much TP this past Thanksgiving. The previous Thanksgiving I ran dangerously low and didn’t want that to happen again. I ended up with too much TP and water but it didn’t even occur to me to return it. It’s not a perishable. Eventually we’ll use it all.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still can’t figure out why people return TP. I purchased too much TP this past Thanksgiving. The previous Thanksgiving I ran dangerously low and didn’t want that to happen again. I ended up with too much TP and water but it didn’t even occur to me to return it. It’s not a perishable. Eventually we’ll use it all.

When I was at Target last Friday they put out a pallet of TP. People all around started filling their carts and a couple asked the target employee, I can return this if I don't use it, right? I walked by thinking, why because you will never eventually use it? It's not like it goes bad.

Last weekend I was in a packed intersection and I could see up ahead a person with a sign and he had a bunch of bags. I said to my daughter, I have never seen a panhandler in this town. Got a little closer. The sign said Toilet Paper for Sale and the bags he has were full of 4 packs.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well Hotels, Airlines, and Restaurants have little or no demand for TP at this point in time (due to shut downs), and since it isn't being ordered by those establishments then it should free up a lot of the Toilet Paper inventory, and can be diverted to stores instead.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm seeing TP in unlikely stores lately. Home Depot. Ace Hardware. A local art supply store. Places that never had it before suddenly are carrying it. Think creatively, make a few phone calls, and you might be able to find what you're after. Good luck!

Dave
To this point, Home Depot has for quite sometime carried a wide assortment of household cleaning products- much more than one would expect.
I have never really checked their prices out closely because I am not really focused on cleaning products when i visit Home Depot. Our local HD has an entire row worth of space for household cleaning products.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
And this is why there is no tp anywhere. I hope none of the stores take returns on it as it will encourage more bad behavior. I hope no one bought the tp from the intersection seller as most likely not at cost be my bet

When I was at Target last Friday they put out a pallet of TP. People all around started filling their carts and a couple asked the target employee, I can return this if I don't use it, right? I walked by thinking, why because you will never eventually use it? It's not like it goes bad.

Last weekend I was in a packed intersection and I could see up ahead a person with a sign and he had a bunch of bags. I said to my daughter, I have never seen a panhandler in this town. Got a little closer. The sign said Toilet Paper for Sale and the bags he has were full of 4 packs.

Brett

Reaction score
To this point, Home Depot has for quite sometime carried a wide assortment of household cleaning products- much more than one would expect.
I have never really checked their prices out closely because I am not really focused on cleaning products when i visit Home Depot. Our local HD has an entire row worth of space for household cleaning products.

I noticed that too at Lowes --- but no TP :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

People return EVERYTHING to Costco. They overbuy for a party, then return the excess afterwards. They buy huge TVs right before the SuperBowl and return it the week after. The weeks after Thanksgiving and before Christmas are the biggest returns of the year, when people return things they’ve purchased all year, just so they can get money to buy gifts for the holidays. They expect they can always return anything, and it’s endless. My spouse’s entire career is giving Costco members their refunds.

In the case of this panic-shopping, people are over-buying everywhere, thinking it’s no big deal to return it after the need is over. It IS a big deal. A huge deal. And I’ve been trying for quite awhile to ask people not to over shop. I’m glad things are finally being forced into some sense of control.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I'm sure they've always had it. I just never have noticed it, because I don't think of HD as a place to go buy TP. Cleaning supplies, yes. TP? No. Recently, I saw the area near the HD checkout registers lined with TP and cleaning products, in the area where they usually have the tools on sale. I'd never seen that sort of thing.

Dave

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Just posted on another thread that I was able to order on Costco online. Delivery next Wednesday.

just went online and it’s showing out of stock in my zip code

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I was at Target today (late afternoon) and noticed a couple of people walking out with TP in their carts. I don't know if there was a limit, but each person had just one package. I'm not in need of TP so I didn't go check the aisle.
My wife went to Target shortly after it opened up on Monday, and there was a decent supply and they were limiting to 1 package per family. No crazed shoppers, everyone was being respective of other's personal space, etc. Hope that continues.

Kurt

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
just went online and it’s showing out of stock in my zip code

Keep trying at different times of the day. Also try Target, Walmart, others. Another thought...if you have a Costco near you. Nextdoor posts in my area report TP at Costco every morning but runs out by noon if not earlier. Lots of posts from folks offering to run errands for others. You could post a request for someone to get some for you? As well as other necessities? Just a thought.