• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

no response to my replies to buy TS

scubamama

Reaction score
Hi - I am not new to timeshare but am new to TUG. My husband and I have been looking to purchase timeshare in Orlando, [resort name deleted.] In the past week I have messaged two people with postings expressing my interest and neither have responded. One not responding didn't bother me, but two? Is it normal that people who list their homes on the TUG Marketplace take awhile to respond?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here are a couple of things to consider:

Your response could be going in their spam email folder.

Their response to you could be going in your spam email folder.

There might be something about your response that is a turn-off - let me explain. People with Ads tend to get lots of spam - how exactly are you responding?

scubamama

Reaction score
There's nothing in my spam - I did check that. In both cases I chose the option Contact Member. In both cases I expressed my interest and asked additional questions. I will keep trying.

jasavak

TUG Member
Reaction score
No replies

I had a similar problem . I only received 2 responses out of the 5 inquiries I sent . One of the responses came a week later.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes on a bbs, people provide a secondary email that they may not check as often as their primary one. Of course, if one is looking to rent out a TS (or conduct any transaction for that matter) you'd think they would be a little more proactive about checking their secondary email.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just sayin'...

...In the past week I have messaged two people with postings expressing my interest and neither have responded...

It could quite simply be that this particular 7 day period is one in which the advertiser is away on business, or on vacation, or dealing with family illness or tragedy, etc. --- any and all of which circumstances might making checking on a timeshare ad of little or no immediate importance or urgency to them.

In short, I wouldn't panic or be offended if it's a just one single week with no response....:shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is it normal that people who list their homes on the TUG Marketplace take awhile to respond?

When you contacted them, did you ask about their "home" or their "timeshare." Calling it their "home" is something that might lead people to think that you are not a legitimate buyer. It's the kind of mistake that scammers make.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I encounter this very frequently. If I email someone involved with TS about an ad they have up-- sale, rental, exchange-- my experience is that it is the norm to not get a reply in a timely manner or in many instances to even get a reply at all. Maybe 25% of folks that have an ad up are going to stay on top of things, about 75% are too disinterested or disorganized to reply (or maybe they are just plain lazy).

I honestly think that a large number of ads out there are not posted by someone terribly interested in doing whatever it is that the ad claims they want to do-- ie, there are a lot of people uninterested in actually selling, renting or exchanging their TS.

Personally, I am not "offended" by someone not answering an inquiry about an ad for (say) 7 days, but I do think it identifies the person as less-than-business-like and most of the time indicates to me that I would not want to do business with them. When I reply to an ad, it is typically from a position of a decent amount of knowledge and frequently I am asking about something pretty basic- ie what is the unit number in a TS listed for sale.

My take on your experience is that it is probably not you- it is the nature of the beast.

H

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the amount of SPAM you get, if the gramar is slightly off, delete is the most likely response - I have corrected no less than eight gramtical errors in your posting. If this is your writing style I would have assumed it came from a Nigerian internet cafe, just with a low key approach

Hi - I am not new to timesharing but I am new to TUG. My husband and I have been looking to purchase a timeshare in Orlando, [resort name deleted.] In the past week I have sent messages to two people with postings expressing my interest and neither have responded. One not responding didn't bother me, but two? Is it normal that people who list their timeshares on the TUG Marketplace to take awhile to respond?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
With the amount of SPAM you get, if the gramar is slightly off, delete is the most likely response - I have corrected no less than eight gramtical errors in your posting. If this is your writing style I would have assumed it came from a Nigerian internet cafe, just with a low key approach

Aw, c'mon, Rent Share.

I think it is noteworthy to point out that two of your identified grammatical errors are not actually errors at all.

Hi - I am not new to timeshare but am new to TUG. . This sentence is perfectly correct except for an "s" missing at the end of "timeshare." The "I" you inserted is unnecessary and no more correct
than leaving out the "I."

In the past week I have messaged two people with postings expressing my interest and neither have responded
. That sentence is correct as it stands. Yes, in modern times people may be "messaged." They may also be texted and emailed. As in "I messaged you, then texted you, then emailed you and no reply. May I inquire as to why?"

I also think technically it should be "a while" in that particular usage. However, the first post of the OP in no way sounded like someone for whom English is not a native tongue.

You mis-spelled "grammatical," BTW.

H

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Grammar Clamor.

Click here for grammar & syntax.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aw, c'mon, Rent Share.

I think it is noteworthy to point out that two of your identified grammatical errors are not actually errors at all.

Hi - I am not new to timeshare but am new to TUG. . This sentence is perfectly correct except for an "s" missing at the end of "timeshare." The "I" you inserted is unnecessary and no more correct
than leaving out the "I."

In the past week I have messaged two people with postings expressing my interest and neither have responded
. That sentence is correct as it stands. Yes, in modern times people may be "messaged." They may also be texted and emailed. As in "I messaged you, then texted you, then emailed you and no reply. May I inquire as to why?"

I also think technically it should be "a while" in that particular usage. However, the first post of the OP in no way sounded like someone for whom English is not a native tongue.

You mis-spelled "grammatical," BTW.

H

Actually I think it communicates very well to say "Hi - I am not new to timeshare but am new to TUG." - an s on timeshare is not necessary to describe the subject any more than History needs to be Histories.

As in "my timeshare portfolio can always use more weeks" communicates multiple weeks in the portfolio.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Click here for grammar & syntax.

You know, Alan, I love writing and words. My undergraduate major was English Literature, which of course did not cover grammar but did involve a lot of reading, writing, and thinking about word choice and style. I was especially interested in poetry, and have spent a great number of hours in my lifetime thinking about the significance of a specific word in a specific situation- for example, making a between using the word "handbook" vs. "manual" in a given situation, why might you choose one over the other and what would you be conveying by doing so? The very best language for this is Chinese- classical Chinese poetry absolutely blew my mind- the words have literal meaning, and connotation, and an auditory component, but also this incredible visual component that adds a whole other element to poetry that is not there in Western languages. I honestly almost dropped everything else I was studying to pursue a major in Chinese Literature.

I only state all that to make it perfectly clear that not many people like the written word more than I do, and that I like subtle and polished writing.

However, I think the most important thing one can do with the written word is to communicate a thought effectively. My opinion is the OP did that quite well- with the possible exception of the use of the word "home," which I will admit was slightly confusing. Who cares if you would be more folksy and I would be more syllablistically concise (and more likely to entirely make up a new word like "syllabilistically")? I would be emulating my hero Wm. Shakespeare, who made up many words that were so self-evident in their meaning that from first usage they permanently entered our language. You are more Twainian in your writing, conversation and quite willing to circle around an idea until your point is made. It all adds interest. Everyone should just write in their best style.

But I digress: I think the OP's usage was in essence quite effective and I don't think there was really much to legitimately critique.

H

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Actually I think it communicates very well to say "Hi - I am not new to timeshare but am new to TUG." - an s on timeshare is not necessary to describe the subject any more than History needs to be Histories.

As in "my timeshare portfolio can always use more weeks" communicates multiple weeks in the portfolio.

You know, Rick, I think you're right!

H

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

My undergraduate major was English Literature, which of course did not cover grammar but did involve a lot of reading, writing, and thinking about word choice and style.
Hey, I'm a Recovering English Major myself -- consider myself fortunate I could graduate in only 4 years + 2 summer sessions.

When I was young, I wanted to write the Great American Novel.

Now that I'm old, I don't even care to read the Great American Novel.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am not new to timeshare but am new to TUG. My husband and I have been looking to purchase timeshare in Orlando, [resort name deleted.] In the past week I have messaged two people with postings expressing my interest and neither have responded. One not responding didn't bother me, but two? Is it normal that people who list their homes on the TUG Marketplace take awhile to respond?

To be honest, when we advertise for selling property about 99% of the replies are from scammers. So my advice is to be as specific as possible in your e-mail about what you want to buy and your personal information.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that most folks (or should I say folk) that advertise their timeshares for sale, post ads on more than one website. When it sells they dont go back to each site to take down their ad. They may not even remember where they placed ads. I know that in two cases a timeshare that I purchased stayed up on tug long after the seller and I had closed our deal

Perhaps, in the ops case, the week in question had already sold. Certainly a lack of courtesy not responding to an inquiry, but, in my opinion, not a big deal....Keep looking I bet you find what you are looking for.

yeereid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Shearwater-Kauai
Maui Sunset
I replied to a TUG ad from someone that wanted to exchange TS units. I was friendly and clearly stated what I was offering (exactly what they were looking for). I have not received a response and it has been over 30 days. Oh well, their loss, but I do not understand why some bother posting an ad if they are not going to follow up.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
This happens all the time...TUG administrators have tried to post to please be courteous and reply to people, but.....

Just sorry that it was one you were interested in and it didn;t work out.....

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
:eek:

Yes I was harsh

I am sorry

I was just illustrating that your style was just enough "off" to cause me to hit delete versus reply, had your inquiry hit my inbox

Please accept my applogies

scubamama

Reaction score
I've gotten some replies now and actually have a deal in the works. I guess I will need to work on my grammar for next time! What can I say? I'm a banker not an English major.:)

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten some replies now and actually have a deal in the works. I guess I will need to work on my grammar for next time! What can I say? I'm a banker not an English major.:)

Congratulations. I hope it works well for you. Keep coming back, lots to learn from us and from you. :wave:

BTW about the language thing. I was lmb(a)o and lol almost fotf. Between trying to learn how to abreviate things cuz texting takes me so much time and all the note taking I have to do at work, its hard to even write a letter. :doh: