• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NO PAY on unit rented via LMR ... by a regular TUG Guest/Broker

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
A family of your fellow Canadians is out $6k and was deprived of resort occupancy for 3 out the 4 total weeks for which they had pre-paid, in full, months in advance.
A long standing TUG member is (at least for now) also out $800, thanks to the same thieving parasite. I respectfully submit this is not at all "about nothing". :shrug:

Um, pretty sure Bev isn't saying this thread is about nothing, but that she enjoys the "deleted" and "seinfeld" threads because they're about nothing.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A family of your fellow Canadians is out $6k and was deprived of resort occupancy for 3 out the 4 total weeks for which they had pre-paid, in full, months in advance.
A long standing TUG member is (at least for now) also out $800, thanks to the same thieving parasite. I respectfully submit this is not at all "about nothing". :shrug:

My post had a wink emoticon on the title.

Mentioned that it was adding a little levity.

And was quoting two previous posts that were, IMHO, along the same lines.

And as a Canadian feeling the sting of exchange rates, I am extremely sympathetic to the folks that lost out.

My apologies if my attempts at humour offended. I'll save my attempts at humour for different threads next time.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use paypal, luckily so far with no issues. Now I do have one rental where the names do not match. Uh oh...

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Link did not work for me

Maybe try using a different browser? The link certainly works for me.

In any event, that link is to a news item from April of 2012. In Columbia County, Georgia, 23 teens were arrested at a residence, for underage drinking; a gathering reportedly associated with a prom. A Rachael Arrington was also arrested at the same home at the same time for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor.

A few here, among whom I do not number, have questioned / speculated whether the person named in that news link might be the same person mentioned in the timeshare matter discussed in this thread. The two Rachael Arringtons might be one and the same person; I do not know, do not claim to know --- and do not care.
The two matters (and the two topics) are entirely unrelated anyhow and occurred nearly four years apart.

Last edited:

travelplus

Reaction score
Oh I am so sorry this happened to you. What I think you may want to do in the future is request to be "Paid in Full" 30 days prior to the checkin. You can take a Deposit of 50 percent at the time of rental. If you have not gotten the deposit by X Date then you can move on to another renter.

Also having a rental agreement is important so that way if the group decides to cancel then you can keep the deposit.

So if I am not reading this correctly you rented your unit through the resort and you were not paid your share? If I am correct then you should file a Small Claims. You said the renters are from Canada if this is the case you may want to report this to the INS for international Fraud.

You may be able to get your $800 back through the resort's Insurance Company or through your Homeowners Insurance(remember a resort is deeded property and you can rent it out just like you would your vacation home).

So they rent your unit and you should be due whatever the agreed upon amount is.

I hope this gets resolved soon.

30 days since her guests checked into my reserved unit. No money.

How did this happen? Well, the TUG 'Guest' has worked for years "thru", "for", "as part of" a well known and respected TUG GUEST who posts multiple offerings on the LMR/LMW thread. Was this person an employee, subcontractor, commissioned agent, a 1099 contractor or a BEST GIRL FRIEND?

The principal in the business has called me TWICE ... the first time sobbing hard ... just stunned and in shame.

But then again, I did NOT expect the resort's Front Desk supervisor to be calling me at 8:30AM Saturday morning asking WHERE the next week's (actually 3 weeks of) reservations were for the guests I had onsite for the past 7 days). The guest was trying to MOVE to their next 2/2 unit on Jan 16th, but the resort ONLY had a 1 night, reservations linked onto my stay and they had booked 4 weeks with ME. WHAT? I am thinking .. I don't remember ANY 4 week booking .. esp at a resort a rarely EVER book at .. in South Florida. I tell the supervisor, NOT ME ... I have no one with 4 weeks booked at any resort ... he assures me the tenant booked with me ... he has searched his companies' Web site for my name and their name ... and can ONLY find the 1 night NEW reservation ... I tell him I don't make 1 night reservations. Then I think, STOP ...and had the Front Desk supervisor ask the WHO DID you booked with? I hear the name and I immediately say the 2 women's name associated with that company and the Wyndham Front Desk supervisor says, "I have their phone number!" and we hang up.

(The resort's Front Desk supervisor KNOWS me ... 3 years from a different resort where I have stayed and owned for 10+ years; he has my business card with my cell number; he knows me on sight. I saw him while staying at that resort in late November. It was GREAT he was working when the Canadians came looking for where they were moving to.)

90-120 minutes later ... I get the OTHER HALF of the 2 women calling me ... in tears and saying "I don't know why she had done this. The police have been called and these Canadians paid her $6,000 for 4 weeks." My week was the first week of their Broward County stay and I tell her, I have not been paid my $800.

Via the OTHER HALF of this duo and later in the week, I find out the resort provided the guests 2 additional nights FREE at the resort while this mess was trying to be unraveled. The OTHER HALF offered options and/or assistance to these CANADIAN guests.. but they choose not to avail themselves of those offers ... I was not sure these were entirely FREE offers to the displaced Canadians or comparable resorts or locations.

I was and have NOT BEEN OFFERED payment for my week USED by the Canadians... by the OTHER HALF (the other partner or the principal or the owner of this well known TUG entity) or by the "MISSING HALF" who took my week without payment for her guests WHO PAID HER.

So here is the NEXT TWIST.

I call via the PHONE another well known TUG MEMBER and ask what insight they can offer is on this matter (my issue). Want to GUESS what I am told by them? They were taken for $600 last AUGUST, 2015 by the same person. Called last minute and asked to rent for $600 a week she had previous SOLD to the duo thru the company was still available for 2015 ... several days before checkin. A NJ beach week ... has all the resort info and told a check will be in the mail. 6 Weeks later, they realize they did NOT get a check and call the "MISSING HALF" about their rental proceeds. She starts bawling and OFFERS, to pay $5-10 a month, to make amends (let see that would take 5 years to pay off at $10 a month). The TUG MEMBER tells her to not worry ... as you are having such a hard time.

So ... think I am happy? I look at the LMR/LMW and see multiple posts by the "Other Half" offering or asking for rentals. The person who took my week .. their id is "void" ... deactivated ... after sending a PM to TUGBrian.

Yes, I did rat you out to TUGBrian .. both of you. Weeks ago. He asked that I try to resolve this with both of you ... but he also suggest I post this on TUG ... yesterday on another follow up PM with TUGBrian..

30 days ... think I should just sweep this $800 under the rug?

travelplus

Reaction score
I totally could not follow this.

What happened?

I agree. To me it sounds like the OP rented out his or her unit and did not get the monies due to him/her. In this case he/she can sue in Small Claims Court or even Federal Court. I am not sure how this would work for a Canadian citizen perhaps hiring an international attorney and go after them civilly. Also they could put a block so the couple cannot leave the country until all monies are paid and perhaps they may not be able to return to the USA if they are found to have done the same scam.

Its just like if a person shoplifted at Macy's they are tried civilly and could be issued a Warrant and are asked to pay the restitution. They can be banned from leaving the USA until the case is closed and potentially they can be denied entry in to the USA.

I am not a lawyer but have watched Border Patrol on TV and people do get banned from leaving the USA until they satisfy the legal case and can get banned from entering the USA.

I would file a Felony charge or at the very least a Misdemeanor Charge because this couple committed "Theft by Deception", "Receiving Services Fraudulently, International Fraud and Extortion". You may want to sue in Federal Court as these people may be scamming other people who rent timeshares. Also these people should be backlisted so they cannot stay at any resort with the companies they frauded.

Guess who also lost money, the resort? How did they settle the final bill? How can you pay the Maintenance fees? If the resort rented the unit they too get a share of the rent and thus they can sue the couple too.

You could potentially sue the couple via the resort's legal team as you are an owner of the resort and pay the HOA fees. Perhaps the HOA can "step in".

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would refrain from giving any legal advice. Even if you have watched border patrol. You may want to re read the thread for clarify what happened.

I agree. To me it sounds like the OP rented out his or her unit and did not get the monies due to him/her. In this case he/she can sue in Small Claims Court or even Federal Court. I am not sure how this would work for a Canadian citizen perhaps hiring an international attorney and go after them civilly. Also they could put a block so the couple cannot leave the country until all monies are paid and perhaps they may not be able to return to the USA if they are found to have done the same scam.

Its just like if a person shoplifted at Macy's they are tried civilly and could be issued a Warrant and are asked to pay the restitution. They can be banned from leaving the USA until the case is closed and potentially they can be denied entry in to the USA.

I am not a lawyer but have watched Border Patrol on TV and people do get banned from leaving the USA until they satisfy the legal case and can get banned from entering the USA.

I would file a Felony charge or at the very least a Misdemeanor Charge because this couple committed "Theft by Deception", "Receiving Services Fraudulently, International Fraud and Extortion". You may want to sue in Federal Court as these people may be scamming other people who rent timeshares. Also these people should be backlisted so they cannot stay at any resort with the companies they frauded.

Guess who also lost money, the resort? How did they settle the final bill? How can you pay the Maintenance fees? If the resort rented the unit they too get a share of the rent and thus they can sue the couple too.

You could potentially sue the couple via the resort's legal team as you are an owner of the resort and pay the HOA fees. Perhaps the HOA can "step in".

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Canadians were also VICTIMS

People, people, people, read this thread again - the Canadians PAID almost $6,000 to this Rachael person who then went out and sourced (or did not source as the case may be) the weeks involved.

Linda actually provided one of the weeks that the Canadians had PAID for, but Rachael (the intermediary/broker/middleman) did not pay Linda.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the thread and slightly off topic but here in Canada we can do what is called an e-mail transfer. I believe it costs $1.00 Canadian. All you need is the other person's e-mail and then you go online and set a password for the other person. They receive an e-mail and type in the agreed upon password to get their money. I occasionally do rentals 1-2 a year maybe only because I truly hate the fees on II especially if I have to change my reservation.
I really wish I could use it for US transactions like when I rent worldmark points but I understand it would not be easy over 2 countries. However it seems like Americans have nothing like this. Between that and you just now getting chip technology on credit cards and them still not being chip and pin it does seem like your banking system needs to make it easier and less expensive and safer for you to transfer your money quickly and cheaply. We have used e-mail transfer for paying our friends immediately for concert tickets they bought and we also paid for our son's car that way. It takes 20-30 minutes (we waited) for the person to see the money in their account. We have also used it when buying fairly expensive products off kijiji and we are not near a bank. It is so slick that even I a self professed luddite can do it.

Joan

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the thread and slightly off topic but here in Canada we can do what is called an e-mail transfer. I believe it costs $1.00 Canadian. All you need is the other person's e-mail and then you go online and set a password for the other person. They receive an e-mail and type in the agreed upon password to get their money. I occasionally do rentals 1-2 a year maybe only because I truly hate the fees on II especially if I have to change my reservation.

Joan

That sounds a bit like venmo. You can use it over a computer or as a phone app. It is quite simple but apparently not popular here.

Deb

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That does sound like a similar way to transfer money. Ours is just through our banks. Our daughter used to get paid this way a lot for babysitting. It is weird how some adapt to a new idea and others don't. We have found it very useful on both the payee and paying end. And with only a $1 fee it is affordable.

Joan

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
So what is the deal now Linda? No more rentals?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Venmo is a Paypal product and it's not just in Canada. It's similar to Paypal, and if you use a credit card, there is a 3% fee.

There are many different online payment services available, and they are widely used - but the payment method has nothing to do with Linda's situation.

If the buyer does not make the payment, it doesn't matter what payment method was agreed upon...

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really wish I could use it for US transactions like when I rent worldmark points but I understand it would not be easy over 2 countries. However it seems like Americans have nothing like this. Between that and you just now getting chip technology on credit cards and them still not being chip and pin it does seem like your banking system needs to make it easier and less expensive and safer for you to transfer your money quickly and cheaply. We have used e-mail transfer for paying our friends immediately for concert tickets they bought and we also paid for our son's car that way. It takes 20-30 minutes (we waited) for the person to see the money in their account. We have also used it when buying fairly expensive products off kijiji and we are not near a bank. It is so slick that even I a self professed luddite can do it.

Joan

SQUARE. It is a fantastic money transfer tool. Cash sent to the recipients email address.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
SQUARE. It is a fantastic money transfer tool. Cash sent to the recipients email address.

It is still credit card based though, no? That is the problem, someone can use a stolen credit card or even dispute the card later and the person renting the week out is SOL.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is still credit card based though, no? That is the problem, someone can use a stolen credit card or even dispute the card later and the person renting the week out is SOL.

No - you don't have to use a credit card with Paypal, or Square, or many other payment systems. But if you don't accept credit cards, you are going to lose a huge percentage of your potential renters.

The credit card risk is really only on last minute rentals, and although it's possible, it is rare.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Especially if you neither pay Linda her $800, nor find anyone to rent you the other 3 weeks. That's $6,000 profit.

Yep I'd agree seems Rachael Arrington found herself a way to make some quick $ by ripping off people, sure hope she pays for these criminal actions.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
I would refrain from giving any legal advice. Even if you have watched border patrol.

I'd agree. "Better Call Saul" would be more appropriate.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have never watched Border Patrol on TV, but do have first hand experience in legal matters regarding prosecution, jurisdiction and pertinent court proceedings.
For the record and to be very clear, that personal experience over the past several decades in this arena has not been as a defendant in said proceedings. :)

There is a truly stunning amount of misunderstanding, misinformation and misinterpretation expressed within the (above-quoted) post #107; too much to itemize.
Although likely offered with good intentions, the actual content and "advice" therein is best just ignored. Catch a back episode of Border Patrol on TV instead. ;)

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All is being quiet from others in this matter ... will keep posting updates ....

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Venmo is a Paypal product and it's not just in Canada. It's similar to Paypal, and if you use a credit card, there is a 3% fee.

There are many different online payment services available, and they are widely used - but the payment method has nothing to do with Linda's situation.

If the buyer does not make the payment, it doesn't matter what payment method was agreed upon...

Tacoma isn't talking about Venmo, she's almost certainly talking about interac money transfers. In Canada, our debit cards are run by a group of all the big banks, and charge very low fees to merchants, especially compared to credit card branded ones.

That same group offers etransfers to and from any member bank (which is every bank in Canada). The price varies depending on your bank, usually about $1. Many people get a few for free with their account. The sender pays the fee. Quick and easy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tacoma isn't talking about Venmo, she's almost certainly talking about interac money transfers. In Canada, our debit cards are run by a group of all the big banks, and charge very low fees to merchants, especially compared to credit card branded ones.

That same group offers etransfers to and from any member bank (which is every bank in Canada). The price varies depending on your bank, usually about $1. Many people get a few for free with their account. The sender pays the fee. Quick and easy.

How much is the fee for accepting a credit card payment - or can you?

*That sounds like a great system.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is great, but no credit cards (which is why its cheap). Both sender and receiver need a CAD bank account.

I would have loved to pay that way for my upcoming Maui weeks I rented from you, but realistically understand Americans don't want Canadian dollar accounts. (Or Canadian dollars!)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We need something like this in the US.