• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NO PAY on unit rented via LMR ... by a regular TUG Guest/Broker

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sorry yes, it was RACHEALA

as far as I can see there is noone with the TUGBBS username of racheal (no a)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
If someone is not willing to paypal you $800 for a week and they need to check in the next day, this is not a good sign, especially if dealing with a "reputable" broker.

Sounds like you took a gamble, and lost the bet.

Not that it makes any of this right, but if the check-in was the next day, what was the chance that you would have rented it otherwise?

My next question is, if this all came about because of the LMR board, why is Linda out $800 for a 7-night stay when the limit on that board is $100/night?

Probably there are people who don't like seeing some of these questions asked, but my feeling is that IF there's shenanigans that go on behind the scenes between TUGgers who make a cottage industry of rentals and brokers who sub-contract through them, shouldn't all of that be made known up front??

In this case a number of factors are in play that don't make sense and that made this a dicey deal from the get-go. I don't understand how a well-known TUGger who knows the rental market and uses TUG to promote it - and regularly advises others about the way to approach it with the least amount of risk - can act against her own advice yet still expect the rest of us to be sold that she's a complete victim. I'm sorry for being so blunt, Linda, but that's how I see it.

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
My next question is, if this all came about because of the LMR board, why is Linda out $800 for a 7-night stay when the limit on that board is $100/night?

Probably there are people who don't like seeing some of these questions asked, but my feeling is that IF there's shenanigans that go on behind the scenes between TUGgers who make a cottage industry of rentals and brokers who sub-contract through them, shouldn't all of that be made known up front??

In this case a number of factors are in play that don't make sense and that made this a dicey deal from the get-go. I don't understand how a well-known TUGger who knows the rental market and uses TUG to promote it - and regularly advises others about the way to approach it with the least amount of risk - can act against her own advice yet still expect the rest of us to be sold that she's a complete victim. I'm sorry for being so blunt, Linda, but that's how I see it.

Bingo. Was thinking the same thing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
I don't think this has anything to do with the LMR Forum, except both Rachela and Linda post there.

Let's say I have a post on the LMR Forum for XYZ resort for $700, and a poster contacts me and says, can you get me a reservations at XYZ resort for tomorrow? (different date than my Ad.)

That is completely outside the Ad on the LMR Forum, and I have to obligation to offer the same price.

*I have also rented to long time Tuggers who I trusted because of their long-time tenure here with no more documentation than an email. It is not rare at all. Obviously, you don't do that with a stranger.

Recently, a long time Tugger sent me a PM and asked me if my Scotland TS was available. I made the reservation and rented it to her on the basis of her reputation here on TUG. She trusts me and I trust her.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
indeed, I didnt get the impression this situation came from an LMR posting at all...just that the OP had regular dealings with this person in the past as she acted as a principal for NTHC....who regularly posts in the LMR section (and abides by the rules as far as we can see)

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very easy to render a hasty online judgement without all of the pertinent facts, but the bottom line still seems (to me, anyhow) that "stiffed" is "stiffed", regardless of whether the theft of services (a criminal offense) figure is $700 or $800. Btw, I have seen no representation that this was ever a LMR Forum listing in the first place.

Frankly, I think that some of you above who have so very quickly rushed to judgement without all of the facts owe Linda an apology. JMnsHO.

Last edited:

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nevermind. With LMR being in the title line it could make one think of the LMR board, although it could simply be a last minute rental.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
So maybe it was 8 nights, or maybe they paid for the GC - could be a lot of different circumstances.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So maybe it was 8 nights, or maybe they paid for the GC - could be a lot of different circumstances.

It could be, but it doesn't seem to be based on Linda's thread title and her saying that her rental was for 7-nights and that she doesn't do single-nights. Plus, if we go back and search the LMR-Wanted boards there are a few different posts from the broker to which Linda could have responded.

Admittedly I'm making an assumption that the LMR board is where this situation originated, but not because I just feel like throwing out ideas to see if they stick. Linda's statements lead directly to that assumption.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nevermind. With LMR being in the title line it could make one think of the LMR board, although it could simply be a last minute rental.

I don't know how it could be any clearer! "... unit rented via LMR ..." If that's incorrect the thread title should probably be edited.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LMR = last minute rental. It doesn't say last minute rental FORUM.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LMR = last minute rental. It doesn't say last minute rental FORUM.

So, let's ask. Linda, did you respond to a LMR-Wanted ad in this situation? If not, how was the connection made between you and the broker?

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how it could be any clearer! "... unit rented via LMR ..." If that's incorrect the thread title should probably be edited.

I'm on your side with this issue. I edited my last post (right after posting it). I had the title line from the OP's original post as evidence, but noticed it said LMR and didn't include board or forum.

Very obvious that it was 7 night rental, and if indeed this was done through the LMR forum, I thought the max was $100 night TOTAL, including any guest certificate. The rules don't say otherwise.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, let's ask. Linda, did you respond to a LMR-Wanted ad in this situation? If not, how was the connection made between you and the broker?

Let the record reflect that Linda is not even online at this particular time to provide an immediate response.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let the record reflect that Linda is not even online at this particular time to provide an immediate response.

Really, the record? OK. Let's also let the record show that she could be in stealth mode. I've had a PM from her in the last few minutes. I responded to the effect that I prefer to keep this out of PM's, that posts to the boards are fair game for comments/responses, and that if she tells me in this thread that she'd like me stop commenting then I'll be happy to do so.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I had a couple of LMR (not on the forum) while I was away and had the studio portion available for rent as I had more space than I needed - I had to jump though some hoops, but I got the payment before letting them check in. The other I met up with and got cash as they were there anyways.

I know we always want to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but when it comes to money, I am always so anal about payment. Not trying to take shot at anyone so please don't take this the wrong way, just making a comment about it.

I stopped lending money to friends even as I keep getting the run around from them. Funny thing is that I've gotten screwed by "friends" and people I know more than strangers.:(

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Wouldn't it be nice if TUG had a LMR forum that wasn't overwhelmed by people/brokers running rental businesses? Must be profit in it.
reap<=>sow

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Wouldn't it be nice if TUG had a LMR forum that wasn't overwhelmed by people/brokers running rental businesses? Must be profit in it.
reap<=>sow

Yes!!!:clap::clap:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Someone was stiffed, very upset by it and then was asked to post a thread about it and people are challenging her fee structure. When all else fails, blame the victim, I guess.

FWIW, I've always been under the impression that someone could post a rent wish ad and if we couldn't get it for $100. or less per night, we were free to PM the poster and let them know what we could offer. If that is not the case, we should probably stop people from randomly messaging others offering rentals when there isn't even a rent wish ad up.

Glad the names were finally published. I won't forget them.

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
I believe I can summarize this a bit more clearly.

"Rachaela" who is named Rachael, worked for me for 10 years. On Jan. 4 or 5, I was speaking with a fellow TUG member who mentioned to me that Rachael had rented a week from her for a friend last summer and not paid. I checked our records thinking it must have been an oversight. It was not. Side deals are not allowed and a cause for immediate termination.

A week to 10 days later, I received a call from a manager at the Palm Aire. A guest was not showing in the system, however a one night stay booked on an owner, who he knew was associated with my company, caused him to contact me. I verified that I did not have the guest as a traveler booked though us and asked for a copy of the confirmation. The confirmation was in the name of a company called Vacation Time Bargains. The phone number and address I recognized as being Rachael's.

Side Note: The above customer paid for the reservation in Oct. 2015

The guest corresponded with her on a personal email address, paid her funds through her personal Paypal account and received a confirmation under the name Vacation Time Bargains.

Rachael did not respond to myself or the guest or the resort or Linda to my knowledge regarding the situation. Between the resort and I, the guest was offered a solution(the particulars of which are no one's business). They were upset and had been traumatized thus declining and heading home.

Linda became involved as she is the one who owned the first of what was supposed to be a four week stay at Palm Aire. Typing this up, I realize that I do need to pay Linda for the week. As I believe Rachael used her connection to my company to secure the week, not disclosing that she was no longer with us. Linda and I have done business for as many years as I have been in the business.

If I am the "owner" or whoever supposedly blubbering or whatever on the telephone, that is a blatant lie. I was extremely disappointed in Rachael, and felt horrible for this guest; but there are bad eggs in every business. You find them, you weed them out and you move on. If the guest has chosen to pursue anything else, it is of course up to them. I am quite certain Paypal and/or their cc will issue a refund.

As a business, we sent an email blast to all of our vendors and former customers explaining the situation. Aside from a few Nosy Nelly's no one has contacted me regarding the situation.

Additional side note: The changing of passwords is a corporate decision, done in the order and fashion that I deemed necessary, considering we have access to over 3500 timeshare accounts, bank accounts, credit card accounts, email accounts, timeshare forum accounts, advertising accounts and the list goes on and on. My first priority was to protect our customers, then to protect my money.

Thanks,
Cindy
540-560-2987

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I rarely (and reluctantly) conduct rentals, but I frankly doubt that there is much "profit" in a LMR Forum rental with a $700 per week maximum.

Most of our owned weeks have a annual maintenance fee which is close to (or above) that figure to begin with and, of course, increasing annually.
Accordingly, any "spread" (positive or negative) between the figures would essentially be small change if renting out weeks for $700. Just sayin'.

P.S. For the record, I personally support the $700 maximum figure in TUG's LMR Forum. Last minute = distressed = discount accordingly, IMnsHO.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
folks can hash out your likes or dislikes of the LMR forum in the other thread where thats already going on.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow. Someone was stiffed, very upset by it and then was asked to post a thread about it and people are challenging her fee structure. When all else fails, blame the victim, I guess.

I'm sorry but I simply do not understand why it's not okay to question the details when these situations arise. Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often that a rental facilitated through TUG/by TUGgers goes bad, but I believe that's because (one) TUGgers are on the whole very smart about timeshare ownership and (two) TUG has rules that are expected to be followed by anyone who uses the site and its specific forums to make rental connections.

Of course it's always a bad thing when an owner doesn't receive the expected compensation for a rental! Nobody is saying that non-payment should be excused in certain circumstances! But that's not the same thing at all as saying that the people who rent out their timeshares should always be considered as completely blameless when things go wrong. The details matter. It's not "blaming the victim" - it's trying to figure out how the victimization happened.

IMO when we suspect or know that something is going on behind the scenes that is counter to TUG's rules, then it's in all our best interests to try to get to the bottom of it so that TUG's integrity isn't compromised. Others will disagree and that's okay. :)

FWIW, I've always been under the impression that someone could post a rent wish ad and if we couldn't get it for $100. or less per night, we were free to PM the poster and let them know what we could offer. If that is not the case, we should probably stop people from randomly messaging others offering rentals when there isn't even a rent wish ad up.

These are the rules stated on the LMR Wanted forum page: "Rentals Wanted Rentals wanted, 45 days or less into the future can be requested here. Rental requests more than 45 days out should be placed in the regular TUG Timeshare Marketplace. Maximum rental rate for replies in this section is $700/week."

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't interpret her post as seeking pity, but more as a warning to others to watch out for Rachel.......