• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No morning paper delivery any more at BeachPlace?

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Hi Terry...yes the wifi works on the balcony but during the day you can't read the iPad or laptop screen out there...but I still prefer 'paper' for news articles.

Glad you enjoy BPT enough for a return visit. It's all about location location location...not the amenities or furnishings. BPT certainly doesn't deserve its new Category rating IMO...an obvious MR points grab and devaluation. Right now one elevator is shut down (for a year) and there is very noisy construction right beside the pool on the waterfall and closed the hot tub...causing a lot of guest upset. Also, part of the Marriott parking area has been closed off. Grrrrr

BTW...I stayed Presidents week in a 1 bdrm suite at the Martiott Singer Island Resort on MR points (saving almost $500 a night)...with two great pool andocean, daily maid service, turn down, room service, unlimited towels, platinum gift, and an endless supply of shampoo, body gel, etc. Plus...a free newspaper every morning! The decor there does make BPT pale in comparison.

Brian

Art

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you really think Marriott pays for those newspapers? I'm in the media business, and it's no secret that newspapers are having a tough time with readership in an Internet world and it has affected 'distribution' on which the paper's ad rates are based.

So in the newspaper world of today there is nothing more important than distribution in order to keep their ad revenues up. That's why you get a free paper with a coffee at McDonald's and a host of other places, including hotels. Newspapers need 'numbers' to sell the ads as circulation revenue has fallen badly.

If a timeshare pays for newspapers today, they are paying for something they could be getting free. If the timeshare is truly interested in distributing them only to people who want them, all they need to do is ask on check in, and deliver only to those rooms.

It's just too easy for them to preach ecology...or to make you think they actually have to pay for the papers. It's more of an 'attitude' problem...they just don't want to do it and make you think it's a way of saving you money.

I think we are getting a straight story about this change having a favorable impact on maintenance fees.

As I recall from visits to Marriott resorts a few years ago (and the think BeachPlace was one of them), the handout I received at check included a comment to the effect that the homeowners association would receive a 50 cent a day credit if I told the front desk that I did not want a daily paper.

If circulation is so important for ad revenue, then why wouldn't USA Today or whomever be happy to handle the distribution since the new policy is probably resulting in a 50% cut?

Art

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems they treats paid stays (booked through Marriott.com) and timeshare stays differently. If you have a paid stay, you get daily maid service, and if you are a MR member, daily paper delivery. If you are there on an owner stay or exchange, you wouldn't get the daily delivery, or maid service for that matter.

I am all for eliminating the news papers. I also recall seeing a few years ago that you could let the front desk know you didn't want them and they would credit the MF account $0.50 a day. So it seems there is a cost to the HOAs.

I am guessing that they buy these papers by the pound (literally), or they did when they delivered to every room. My guess is that they now go through about 25% of the amount of newspapers that they used to. That is a big savings, and if it causes our MFs to not go up as much, then I am all for it.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Brian, thought you might be interested to know that the "no newspaper delivery" is supposed to be an official policy across all the resorts. The Barony GM's newsletter came today and includes this:
... Today, more Owners and guests receive their news from other sources (smartphones, tablets, computers, television, etc.) and newspapers generate a tremendous waste. As of January 1, 2012, USA Today newspapers are no longer delivered to your door each morning. Instead, complimentary copies are available in the Lobby and MarketPlace. This change in process is in effect at all Marriott Vacation Club resorts and is part of our green efforts. ...

alchook

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at Doral now.

We get a USA Today delivered every morning.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fords Colony Sequel side - we didnt get any papers either

We were there Presidents week. Saw extras in the lobby, but none delivered...

We'll be at Ocean Watch next month; anybody know if this cost-cutting, green move is in effect there? I guess time will tell...
Vicki

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently stayed at Newport Coast Villas. They told me that the newspapers are no longer provided because all MVC properties have been instructed to go green. Newspapers are for sale in the marketplace, but no complimentary papers were available in the lobby or delivered to the units.

JPrisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter kept checking each day for a paper last week at Grande Vista. No one informed us that they changed the policy and we had to go to the lobby to pick one up for free.
When checking in at Oceana Palms this week we were informed of the change and told where to pick up the paper.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Brian, thought you might be interested to know that the "no newspaper delivery" is supposed to be an official policy across all the resorts. The Barony GM's newsletter came today and includes this:

I don't know how much it is for "go green" as it is for a cost savings. Recycled properly, giving out free newspapers to every room really shouldn't be an issue. I wish they would just be honest and tell us how much less it is costing. If it saves the HOA money, then promote that, don't give me the line about "going green" when WE KNOW there is really more to it.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
No more toilet paper?

I agree...it's all a sham...they just don't want to deliver papers anymore. They sell it as 'green'.

Rumor at BeachPlace is that the next cutback will be cutting you back to only 1 roll of toilet paper per week...because a major source for toilet paper is old newspapers. Actually, toilet paper is a relatively new invention appearing around 1880.

For years now, paper is one of the most recycled items anywhere. Hi gloss magazines are mulched into lower grade paper or cardboard, and then recycled again into an even lower grade, and again and again. Newspapers are at the lower end of the paper recycle process...with toilet paper next.

So if you want toilet paper...read newspapers. :) Paper is green already. JMHO

Brian

I don't know how much it is for "go green" as it is for a cost savings. Recycled properly, giving out free newspapers to every room really shouldn't be an issue. I wish they would just be honest and tell us how much less it is costing. If it saves the HOA money, then promote that, don't give me the line about "going green" when WE KNOW there is really more to it.

Last edited:

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same at DSV in Palm Desert

Since arriving at BeachPlace I haven't received a morning paper at my door. I called the front desk about it the first day and they told me to come down and pick one up. I balked and they reluctantly delivered one. Next day same thing and they promised it wouldn't happen again. Today, again, no paper at the door.

When 'Andy' brought it to my door this morning he said it was a new 'brand standard' to not deliver morning papers at BeachPlace or any other Marriott timeshare.

Is this just another BeachPlace cut back or is it right across all Marriott TS as Andy told me?

Maybe it's just me, but I always enjoyed my morning paper with coffee and OJ on my balcony...without having to get dressed and go fetch it from the front desk...which can sometimes take a half hour waiting for an elevator here.

Brian

We can get one off the shuttle or go to the Front Desk. Makes some sense as some people don't really read the paper on vacation so why pay for unread papers?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was a nice perk, but can really understand the waste of resources. I think it is simply a matter of digital media taking the place of hard print and corporations using the green excuse all in one.

It would be nice if the resorts did a simple head count each weekend at check-in and delivered only to those who have requested it.