• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NO more pool in Boston

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Custom House right now. A very neat experience. So far we have not accepted the offer for the group point presentation (last two presentations turned us off).

BUT, the biggest news is that as of last week, there is no more access to the full service Marriott's pool one block away. I had read on TUG about pool access and told my boys. They have had enough history for the moment and wanted play time in the pool. Oh well. They have enjoyed air hockey table (free)in the game room. Pool table and other arcade games require multiple quarters!

E

EducatedConsumer

I wonder if this is a byproduct of the SPINCO and Marriott Vacation Club no longer having the relationship with Marriott International that they previously had?

I'd be curious to know if you can charge meals, etc. at Long Wharf back to your villa at Custom House (and earn MR points), as was previously the case?

My sense is that new Marriott Vacation Club will in the not so distant future lose whatever remains of its once Marriott soul.

While we'll continue to enjoy our Marriott timeshares, it's too bad that they're near worthless on the secondary market. If they had any value there, we'd sell them in a heartbeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I are also at CH this week!

I think I'll try the 5,000 point non-sales 1-hour group presentation this morning. Seems like a painless way to spend an hour and earn 5,000 points.

PM me if you have time to meet us for a drink in the Counting Room.

Maria

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
The timeshare presenter at the Custom House is quite knowledgeable. I think his name is Tim. Be careful, he is quite convincing. I am sure he is not pleased with the foreclosure sale coming up in December, cuts into his product.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ouch! This could be a major issue for some resorts if this is a result of the spinoff and impacts all shared amenities. For example, the timeshare villas spread around the Marriott World Center in Orlando have their own small pools, but they pale in comparison to the themed pool at the hotel section.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BUT, the biggest news is that as of last week, there is no more access to the full service Marriott's pool one block away. I had read on TUG about pool access and told my boys. They have had enough history for the moment and wanted play time in the pool. Oh well. They have enjoyed air hockey table (free)in the game room. Pool table and other arcade games require multiple quarters!

My guess is this represents the type of change that can be expected from the spin off. As it progresses it will become very clear that all the timeshares have is the right to pay big money to keep the name on the door. Otherwise there really is no longer a relationship between Marriott the hotels and the licensed name of Marriott the timeshare group. That is why the timeshares were spun off. If there were no changes why do it?

I'll bet that 4-5 years from now there will be a push to end the licensing as the costs become all too obvious for little return and/or the timeshare group struggles for funding. It has been my opinion all along that this change is not a positive for the timeshare group or the owners. Marriott does not jettison money making operations. They find a way to make them a profit center (licensing vs owning) and then they can sink or swim on their own.

Remember Embassy also tried the licensing route and eventually killed it off.

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
My guess as to the no more pool access is that the timeshares pay for the privilege of using the pool, the contract has come up for renewal, and the HOA has decided that the cost is too much. IIRC that's what happened in Palm Desert and the access that Desert Springs I (or was it II) had to the spa pool at the JW hotel.

Ingrid

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
The DSVI board re-negotiated the neighboring resort access so once again DSVI owners have use of the hotel amenities (and the obligation to pay for them.) If one result of the spin-off is that none of the timeshares will be able to access neighboring resort properties, how could DSVI have entered into a new agreement now? I think what Ingrid says is more likely, that the Custom House contract came up for agreement and the board voted to not force increased costs onto every owner (including those who don't use the access.)

John, your obvious anti-developer bias is showing again. :D Some of us remain quite comfortable with our Marriott-branded timeshares knowing full well that we pay a premium for that branding. I prefer the big name timeshares because of the relationship tie-ins they have with the brands' hotels and customer loyalty programs, as well as the uniform brand-standard across the timeshares. Both Marriott, Int'l and Marriott Vacations Worldwide have stated that their intent is to keep the timeshare business separate but related (similar to the relationship between MAR and thousands of the branded hotels.) You're correct that the spin-off could make it easier for Marriott to completely walk away from the timeshares, but I just don't share your certainty that it will definitely happen in the near future. Today is the spin-off date; we'll see what happens going forward.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Swice or Maria,
Would anyone like a ride to Concord, Lexington, Harvard's Fruitlands Museum, etc ? Free round-trip in the Beaglemobile is available ! Thanks to Click & Clack, this one is running very nicely.
I am in/out of the office most of this short week.
Let me know ! We're off to Cape Cod on Thursday morning and return late Saturday.
B.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

We are headed to Pilmoth Plantation Tuesday before weather changes. My cousin lives near Concord and we plan to visit her on Wed. We have reservations Thursday back at Pilmoth Plantation -- made reservations for that the day they went on sale in June. Should be a fun day reliving the original Thanksgiving.

gladly will meet anyone here to discuss the points program after we put the kids to bed!

E

EducatedConsumer

We are headed to Pilmoth Plantation Tuesday before weather changes. My cousin lives near Concord and we plan to visit her on Wed. We have reservations Thursday back at Pilmoth Plantation -- made reservations for that the day they went on sale in June. Should be a fun day reliving the original Thanksgiving.

gladly will meet anyone here to discuss the points program after we put the kids to bed!

There was a fire at Plimoth Plantation this weekend, hope the Pilgrims and turkeys are OK there.

Speaking of turkeys, I would not believe one word out of Tim's mouth. At the end of the day, the product that he is peddling is worthless. The value of timeshare on the secondary market is the bellwether of timeshare value - - and its "adaptability (e.g. ability to resell "with full benefits transferred to successive purchaser(s)") is where the pedal hits the rode.

Last edited by a moderator: