• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

no luck renting

Schwaberj

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Port o' Call Shipyard Plantation Hilton Head
I posted an add to rent our time share this year at Port o Call Shipyard Plantation in Hilton Head for a price of our maintenance fee and have not had a single nibble. It is very well rated by TripAdvisor etc. and I don't see other units in it on offer, so I am puzzled. Does the for rent site not yield a lot of action, or are time shares in such oversupply you have to take a loss to rent them, or give them away. Do others have relevant experience or advice to offer?

Last edited by a moderator:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As your week 34 is around Labor Day Weekend, most southern schools are already in session and most northern schools are stating days after Labor Day weekend. I skimmed the ad .. but is there a nice pool & pool area. Is it near outlet mall shopping or good (seafood) dining? Are there fishing boats trips for tourists?

As it appears to be a lockout unit .... I assume you as the owner can split it and rent each side separately ... to people travelling solo or a 2 some. There are fewer people needing a 2/2 unit when school is in session.

Most timeshare rentals are list on several rental sites.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I posted an add to rent our time share this year week 34 Port o Call Shipyard Plantation in Hilton Head for a price of our maintenance fee and have not had a single nibble. It is very well rated by TripAdvisor etc. and I don't see other units in it on offer, so I am puzzled. Does the for rent site not yield a lot of action, or are time shares in such oversupply you have to take a loss to rent them, or give them away. Do others have relevant experience or advice to offer?

We so rarely rent out any of our intervals that my input and experience on this subject should definitely be taken with a grain of salt.

That said, I've never had any success with rental ads I've posted on TUG, even at rental prices close to the maintenance fees, in high demand times at high demand geographic locations. Ponying up the fees for paid advertising on RedWeek, otoh, has never failed us. Can't explain that, but there it is.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
In the future we can suggest to get your rental posted much earlier in the year, sadly just a few weeks or months before the usage date is certainly going to reduce your chances of getting a renter!

also be sure to list it on the local hilton head craigslist page as well for additional free views!

you could also indeed split the unit into two 1br's for far cheaper prices on each to attract a renter at this late date.

sadly since you are asking more than $100 a night, you wont be able to post it on the LMR section of the forums here :(