• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No free bags with Alaska card on codeshared Virgin America flight

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I booked a flight from LAX to OGG on alaskaair.com -- and as I did so, they solicited me to apply for their credit card, offering the 30k bonus, companion fare, and free first checked bag. They even suggested I could use it for the purchase I was making.

I was planning to apply anyway after I worked through the $4000 in 90 days for my AA Citi card, so I said yes. They didn't approve it instantly (got a confirmation 3 weeks later in the mail), I think because of conflict between my residence address and PO box. So I charged it to something else.

I knew the trip was going to be actually on a Virgin America flight (they're "merged" -- but not completely). A week before the trip, I got an email from Alaska reminding me of the flight (with the AS flight number), and a reminder that I was going to be able to check a free bag.

24 hour before the flight, I attempted to check in on alaskaair but was diverted to the VX website ... and they charged me for the bag check, $25 each. (They have their own card, with similar privileges.)

I know, I'm glad this is my biggest problem today. So I called and the Alaska rep says yes, that's true now, it'll get changed "this spring." And she issued a $50 credit for a future flight, which covers the outbound charge.

Over on Flyertalk, I couldn't find this exact problem discussed, but in the case of some Alaska Elite privilege not granted on VX, it was suggested that a human agent could waive the charge at check-in.

Any experiences with this, or suggestions?

Thunder Up

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a flight from LAX to OGG on alaskaair.com -- and as I did so, they solicited me to apply for their credit card, offering the 30k bonus, companion fare, and free first checked bag. They even suggested I could use it for the purchase I was making.

I was planning to apply anyway after I worked through the $4000 in 90 days for my AA Citi card, so I said yes. They didn't approve it instantly (got a confirmation 3 weeks later in the mail), I think because of conflict between my residence address and PO box. So I charged it to something else.

I knew the trip was going to be actually on a Virgin America flight (they're "merged" -- but not completely). A week before the trip, I got an email from Alaska reminding me of the flight (with the AS flight number), and a reminder that I was going to be able to check a free bag.

24 hour before the flight, I attempted to check in on alaskaair but was diverted to the VX website ... and they charged me for the bag check, $25 each. (They have their own card, with similar privileges.)

I know, I'm glad this is my biggest problem today. So I called and the Alaska rep says yes, that's true now, it'll get changed "this spring." And she issued a $50 credit for a future flight, which covers the outbound charge.

Over on Flyertalk, I couldn't find this exact problem discussed, but in the case of some Alaska Elite privilege not granted on VX, it was suggested that a human agent could waive the charge at check-in.

Any experiences with this, or suggestions?

Received an email from Alaska Airlines this morning stating that the free checked bag and companion fare from their credit card will be available on Virgin in late March.

When you check the bag at the airport, I would show the gate agent your Alaska Airlines credit card, mention the free checked bag and see what they say, best bet is they waive the fee.

Good luck.

Thunder Up.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
That's what I intend to try Saturday.
Miles and points, both flying and TS, have surely gotten more complicated over the last twenty years. Sometimes I think there are way too many choices, too many ways to play.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The other problem with the Alaska card benefits involves the companion fare (CF) and free bags. You are supposed to get free 1st bag for you and your family on the same reservation/confirmation # (up to 7 total). But...if you are using the CF, you can't include the rest of your family on the CF booking, only 2 people allowed. So you're limited to 2 free bags when you use the CF. Seems lousy, when both benefits are touted with the card.

Some have said you can "link" the reservations and a check-in agent will waive the fees for the others, but this is not automatic, nor part of the terms.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I skipped the online check-in and asked the counter agent if she could waive the fee. She could -- she had to put the "last 4" of the card on each of the two passenger records.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Good to hear. Alaska customer service is one of the reasons that I am loyal to them.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We're traveling again next weekend on an Alaska-booked, Virgin-operated flight. The "your trip is coming soon" email received today included a statement that the free first bag privilege would apply, and this link to the policy page.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Glad to hear it worked out for you. We fly Alaska to Hawaii using the companion fare and have been very happy with the service. Haven't tried flying VA yet, but like the fact they have expanded the route options.

Enjoy your trip.

Best regards.

Mike

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
The Virgin check-in site still wanted to charge for bags, but once again the agent at the airport knew they should be free and made it happen.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Good to know. As good as Alaska's customer service is, Virgin's was even better. Alaska is going to need to step up their game to keep us loyal Virgin America fliers in the fold. I think they can do it, but Virgin absolutely set a standard--and they managed to spoil people like me.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Good to know. As good as Alaska's customer service is, Virgin's was even better. Alaska is going to need to step up their game to keep us loyal Virgin America fliers in the fold. I think they can do it, but Virgin absolutely set a standard--and they managed to spoil people like me.
I think Alaska's business model is becoming clear.

With the Virgin acquisition, they are going to set up so that they have hub operations in SAN, LAX, SFO, PDX, and SEA. From each of those locations they will fly east to the all of the major flight centers to the east, and to Hawaii to the west. They will also team strategically with other airlines to fill in other key international destinations. And with those hubs they want to dominate the north-south market on the west coast.

By maintaining service standards, they want to be the "go to" airline for people living on the west coast, offering competitive pricing and superior service. I think the customer service is crucial, because if they can't hold on to that, it's going the be hard for them to fend off Delta. If Delta offers the same quality of service and the same pricing, why would someone living in the west choose Alaska over Delta?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
If Delta offers the same quality of service and the same pricing, why would someone living in the west choose Alaska over Delta?

Good analysis, and I suspect you're right. But there is simply no way Delta will be able to compete on service with Alaska. The Delta of the 1980's and 1990's is not the Delta of today. Not even close. Alaska will eat Delta's lunch in that regard.