• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No evidence for two-metre rule, Oxford experts say

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stopped going to public toilets entirely since mid-March. It also means no more long road trips for us. The good thing is that playing a 3-hr round of golf in the desert heat means while you hydrate the whole time, your body uses the water to cool off through perspiration and eliminates the need to pee.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We stopped going to public toilets entirely since mid-March. It also means no more long road trips for us. The good thing is that playing a 3-hr round of golf in the desert heat means while you hydrate the whole time, you use the water to cool off through perspiration and eliminates the need to pee.
We've been getting out for short road trips each weekend. Lack of bathrooms limits the distance, and time, that we go. ;)

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To an extent, the Oxford professors are right. Is six feet the correct distance? Perhaps one meter is good enough in some situations. But then again, based upon filming of water droplets, you would be better off at something considerably greater than X when someone is talking in a particularly loud voice (as in a bar when people try to raise their voice above the crowd or blaring music). Singing and jogging require an even greater distance. Twenty feet seems to be what is called for.

As far as the professors claiming that there have been no scientific studies showing that two meters specifically prevent coVid-19, the same can be said about the use of surgical masks or even N95 masks. They get a pass, however, because they are not part of the culture wars.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The two (2) meter rule is only a guide. The two (2) meter rule is better than no rule/guide or suggestion..
This rule is about using some common sense for your personal health protection.

It is liked wearing a mash covering for your personal health protection. IMHO.

Heat and high temperatures are not killing the Covid-19 virus.

Last edited:

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the point of the article is that the 2 m ule creates a lot of problems to certain businesses when a 1 m rule would be just as effective and much more practical

Brett

Reaction score
I think the point of the article is that the 2 m ule creates a lot of problems to certain businesses when a 1 m rule would be just as effective and much more practical

but what if someone in that business sneezes and the particles reach 26 feet? (7.9 meters)

" A Simple Sneeze Can Release COVID-19 Particles Far Beyond 6 Feet
"Sneezes, emitted with the highest momentum, can reach up to 26 feet. Coughs can reach up to 19 feet," said professor Lydia Bourouiba of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...covid-19-particles-far-beyond-6-feet/2348031/

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Speaking from my recent experience, It feels so good not to have someone breathing on my neck at the post office or while waiting to cross the street. Keep the distance, it is safe for many reasons.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not like this article because it is providing conflicting info and causing us to question the science behind the guidelines. Social distancing and masks are not totally evidence based. No science has completely proven the 6’ distance or the mask are completely effective. It is just the best available guidelines today. We need a consistent message to get people to comply. Debating the 6’ suggestion is going to open up a new can of worms. Then people will not comply with anything. At least Americans all have the same message about 6’. Now if we say maybe 1’ or maybe 30’, people will do whatever they want.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have been going in the woods since generally when out we are in the woods or at least surrounded by woods. But if there is a porta potty around we use it and wash our hands with the sanitizer just like we have always done our whole lives.

We always take water with us but we never drink it for fear of having to pee more. LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I do not like this article because it is providing conflicting info and causing us to question the science behind the guidelines. Social distancing and masks are not totally evidence based. No science has completely proven the 6’ distance or the mask are completely effective. It is just the best available guidelines today. We need a consistent message to get people to comply. Debating the 6’ suggestion is going to open up a new can of worms. Then people will not comply with anything. At least Americans all have the same message about 6’. Now if we say maybe 1’ or maybe 30’, people will do whatever they want.

I think it is common sense to just keep some kind of distance from others if worrying about infection and using masks if worried about someone spitting or coughing or sneezing on you. You can armor up completely if you think the virus is on your clothes, in your hair, and other parts of your body like your hands and so forth and then shower after being anywhere near anyone and put the clothes in the laundry.

It is up to each person to do what they are comfortable with.

I really think the so called experts consider all of us idiots with no common sense so they come up with an exact rule/recommendation to keep it simple and hope people will comply.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I really think the so called experts consider all of us idiots with no common sense so they come up with an exact rule/recommendation to keep it simple and hope people will comply.

Yes I agree with this. LOL. ;)

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
In Canada it is 2 metres OR 6 feet .

This is because if you were taught Imperial measurement in school ( ie.-over age 60) then you think in inches-feet-yards; and if much younger you were taught metric in school.

I have yet to hear what happens with the extra 6 inches. ( one metre= approx. 39 inches )
LOL

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

I don't think it's all of us they are addressing. A rational person, regardless of their level of expertise, in a position to make recommendations would probably try to address the "lowest common denominator" in the populace whose actions they are trying to influence.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We stopped going to public toilets entirely since mid-March. It also means no more long road trips for us. The good thing is that playing a 3-hr round of golf in the desert heat means while you hydrate the whole time, you use the water to cool off through perspiration and eliminates the need to pee.
We've been getting out for short road trips each weekend. Lack of bathrooms limits the distance, and time, that we go. ;)
We have been going in the woods since generally when out we are in the woods or at least surrounded by woods. But if there is a porta potty around we use it and wash our hands with the sanitizer just like we have always done our whole lives.
We always take water with us but we never drink it for fear of having to pee more. LOL!

Our early hikes in the woods and a Cabela's ad for a "GoGirl" led me to research and decide on a "SheWee" instead.
When golf courses opened here in Ohio rest rooms remained shut. Now they are open and I do need to use them. Unforunately, our one nearby links has removed men/women signage and I had a huge shock Tuesday when I entered one and there was a man! Luckily, he was all zipped up & just washing his hands.
We are going on a road trip to a t/s next week and between my SheWee and carefully using rest stop facilities I won't burst.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would not have guessed that but closed restrooms are a problem with many parks, gardens, trails and outdoor areas open but the restrooms are closed :(
I guess I am missing something, but I do not understand the hype over public bathroom concerns. Has their been any studies that say you are more likely to contract CV-19 in a public bathroom vs. other places? I always wash my hands after using a bathroom, so I feel I am less likely to contract anything after using one vs. being in a store and touching objects there. What, are people licking toilet seats? :ROFLMAO:

And to open parks, etc. and not open the public bathrooms is simply insane, IMO. Just asking for a different kind of problem (gross!).

Kurt

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I like the “Exclusive” article that’s right below another article saying the same thing from another publication.

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Keeping people six feet away is actually kinda nice.

Cheers

Brett

Reaction score
I guess I am missing something, but I do not understand the hype over public bathroom concerns. Has their been any studies that say you are more likely to contract CV-19 in a public bathroom vs. other places? I always wash my hands after using a bathroom, so I feel I am less likely to contract anything after using one vs. being in a store and touching objects there. What, are people licking toilet seats? :ROFLMAO:

And to open parks, etc. and not open the public bathrooms is simply insane, IMO. Just asking for a different kind of problem (gross!).

Kurt

yeah, I don't get it. The local botanical gardens was open except for the visitors center, butterfly house and restrooms :(

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would not have guessed that but closed restrooms are a problem with many parks, gardens, trails and outdoor areas open but the restrooms are closed :(

Around here some are opening. Other have out on porta potties thankfully. In fact, used one today at a state park.