• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No check bag fees! And free luggage!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the idea is brilliant! Id have been a customer if it existed while I traveled for work back in the day!

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a multi-million dollar business model, but the $300 website from 1998 scared me off. Well, that coupled with the collection of a lot of personal info...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
OK, Here's the deal. Pay this outfit $20 a year and they send you a new 2 piece hard shell luggage set (21" and expandable 24") wrapped with advertising. You don't get to choose which company's ad you get, but it might be an airline, retailer, movie license character, and each time you travel (up to 6 X a year), they send you a $50 gift card only applicable to check bag fees at the airline counter.

http://oriontraveltech.com/index.html

I think I'll go for it. Starts in February for the first 1 million applicants.

Jim

I just signed up thanks

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sure we'll get tons of advertising emails, but it's not as though I don't already, so I'm giving it a try. If it doesn't get off the ground, I've lost nothing. If it does, I've gained, so why not?

That is why I have an email addy that I use just for these types of things….

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I left most of the questions blank and it still went through.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

They probably use these questions to target the advertising on the suitcases, so I wonder if you are still eligible, if you don't answer all the questions.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Pay with your time

I thought that many of the odd questions probably pertained to some targeted marketing junk mail that I will now be receiving......

Yes I agree; perhaps that's another part of the startup(?) company's business model: selling data and/or other targeted marketing for different companies.

It seems like a good idea, and beneficial for both company and 'buyers'.
But I think I would be trading my time waiting in line to check-in my bags for use of their special gift card. Our usual habit is to check in online at home, print boarding passes & pay for bags in advance. Then when we get to the airport, go to the usually shorter & quicker baggage only drop off line.
Sure $50 for extra 10-40 min wait is nothing to sneeze at.

I'd be interested in hearing later if using their special gift card to pay luggage fees had any hiccups. As someone else commented, I hope this company has worked out the implementation & transaction details with the airlines.
The carry-on bag gives a bigger bang for the buck for the marketing company because of the greater exposure to the public in the airport.

I actually do like lime green even for luggage :D
But the likelihood of more junk mail marketing and the survey questions don't work for me.

Thanks for sharing the promotion offer.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes I agree; perhaps that's another part of the startup(?) company's business model: selling data and/or other targeted marketing for different companies.

Their privacy terms say they won't do this, but it does make you wonder.

We only travel with carry-ons, so this offer doesn't appeal to me, but I'm interested to see how it pans out.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Their privacy terms say they won't do this, but it does make you wonder.

We only travel with carry-ons, so this offer doesn't appeal to me, but I'm interested to see how it pans out.

i just went to look at their privacy terms and it says they won't sell, share or rent personal information to 3rd parties. But based on all the questions they ask, they could scrub the info of all personal identifying information, and still have good 'anonymous' data that's worth something.
A million data sets is a really good sample size of data, in particular if businesses are targeting frequent or high-end travelers.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few people out there who dislikes hardshell luggage and spinner wheels.

Fortunately I have 2 different credit cards that allows me & up to 6 guests to travel with no luggage fees. Both credit cards have a lot of additional features that I like and use. And the application only asked a few basic questions. I think I have a much better deal.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Not only the generic data about your habits, but they will know exactly where and when you fly. Think about it. I'm not comfortable sharing that info with an unknown company. Google and others know enough about me already and I wouldn't want a small company with unknown goals to have my travel history, etc.

Sent from my iPad

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at the 'coming attractions on their website, it looks like they are fantasizing about being your travel agent, booking engine, cruise agency. A one-stop travel shop.

But Ken, aren't the booking engines and airlines already privy to travel info, financial info, vacation preferences, road-warrior's sales territories, and a myriad of other things subject to data mining. They even know and save dietary preferences and where we like to sit in an airplane.

So far, I'm only minimally concerned with a start-up asking my favorite color and age and whether I prefer timeshares, VRBO or hotels.

No one is forced to participate, but thanks for sharing your concerns.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm not inclined to look into this too much, particularly since I like my luggage, but if I was interested I'd look into who is financing this new company and what other companies they're affiliated with... As I wrote previously, I think there's a difference in trusting (!) a well known company like the airline (which, after all, we trust our lives to) vs a marketing company supplying a bag. Big difference, at least at first glance (and I doubt I'd make it to a second look).

Sent from my iPad

schiff1997

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes I did the same thing and received an email back stating this "You have been signed up with the Orion Mobile Luggage Program. You will be contacted shortly to choose the program you would like."

ldzierzanowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
What the heck. Looked at the press clips for the company and the crowdfunding behind the startup. I don't pay luggage fees but wife and kids do so i signed us all up. Worst case 8 new pieces of luggage and at over 30+ flights a year I burn through luggage.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think this is a brilliant idea and I hope it launches and works….

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is a brilliant idea and I hope it launches and works….

They are battling a HARD road. Email lists are "valuable" and I can see where multiple companies --- i.e. Visa and Target or Home Depot --- would figure out, all they have to do is "milk" their customers for "royalities" for the same deal. An "upstart" might get 500 TUG members (just a number) but needs MILLIONS to make the numbers work as a successful business.

And the next thing ... like the billboard business ... damaged logos LOOK bad (as are companies who are NOT your current client crop). How do you "re-skin" a suitcase in my possession? Stop sending me the "refunded" Visa money for checked baggage? Ask me every 3 years (or 50 trips) to send back the luggage? Send me NEW bags every 125 trips?

Okay, I am waiting .. I too signed up.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. When I read the article this line caught my eye......

removed the initial $19.99 annual membership fee that was going to be implemented

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Thanks for the link. When I read the article this line caught my eye......

removed the initial $19.99 annual membership fee that was going to be implemented

Another line: "I'm not making much money off this," said German.". Seems like a strange hobby. :D

If I get some luggage to share some info about my travels, it's a much better deal than having my whole life history stolen by the Chinese from the Federal Office of Personnel Management, not to mention all the credit breaches I been exposed to over the years. :rolleyes:

Cheers

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Strange text messages

Has anyone been receiving strange text messages since signing up for this? I signed up and only have a cell phone, so that is the number I entered. This is the only new place I can think of that I entered my cell number recently.:shrug:

baz48

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any progress on this program?

Has anyone heard from Orion? I thought we were supposed to hear something in November.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought that many of the odd questions probably pertained to some targeted marketing junk mail that I will now be receiving......

Has anyone heard from Orion? I thought we were supposed to hear something in November.

Got initial confirmation when I responded to questions and absolutely nothing since then.:shrug: