• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

nicest II resort Williamsburg (not Marriott)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Yes, going for Grand Illuminations, BG Christmas town, etc. I think we’ll take KC. But why is Townes better than cottages?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Yes, going for Grand Illuminations, BG Christmas town, etc. I think we’ll take KC. But why is Townes better than cottages?

We stayed in the Townes when we were there because the Estates did not have availability.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have stayed at the Colonies during Grand Illumination for under $220 with tax with platinum escapes.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are Townes "better" than Cottages at KC, and, if so why? Is there a resort fee at KC or Colonies? I know there's one for Greensprings. Marriott jumped up $200 on getaways--so off list.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Colonies charge something like $30 or $35 total in resort fees for the week.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are Townes "better" than Cottages at KC, and, if so why? Is there a resort fee at KC or Colonies? I know there's one for Greensprings. Marriott jumped up $200 on getaways--so off list.

The Cottages are older than the Townes. The Cottages are little houses with a large 2br and a very small 1br. The 2br side is large and comfy, with a big living room where everyone can hang out together, and a front porch. If you can get the whole 3br Cottage, that's very nice bc someone can have a separate apartment, still in your own private little house.

The Townes are townhouses and were built after the Cottages. I remember from seeing them years ago (we never stayed there) that they were quite spacious and pleasant. I remember that some of the 2brs have a space near the TV that we were thinking we could use for one of the kids, it's almost like a third bedroom.

As far as I know, both the Townes and the Cottages are quite nice. I think people say that the Townes are better because they're newer, but both are good. The Estates are the newest section--I've never seen them.

I'm not sure about fees at King's Creek, so no help there.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
No comparison between Manor Club and Kings Creek. I've stayed at Kings Creek twice, and would stay again if that was what I could get, but it isn't close to Manor Club in terms of furnishings, furniture, grounds, etc.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No comparison between Manor Club and Kings Creek. I've stayed at Kings Creek twice, and would stay again if that was what I could get, but it isn't close to Manor Club in terms of furnishings, furniture, grounds, etc.
Thanks, MMC is as good as it gets in Wllbg, IMHO. But, I've stayed many times at Greensprings if there's a large cost difference to MMC, so I expect KC will be fine for us for 4 nights. Esp. as it's winter and we'll not be using any amenities/grounds.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I'm not sure about fees at King's Creek, so no help there.

Great post! I have only been to KC once and stayed at the Townes. Yes, the small extra room (not a bedroom) was a good deal for one of our kids.

I traded in through II and did not pay any resort fee.

There is no resort fee disclosed on the RCI page either, but I believe only the older cottages are available in RCI.

I am more agnostic on resort fees than I used to be. I am not sure they contribute that much to total costs in an overbuilt place like Williamsburg. The ones that are crazy high (like DRI's Historic Powhattan) have fewer people wanting to go there so the RCI trading power required is often marked way down several weeks out. That can make it a bargain if you only go for three days and hav ethem refund the balance of the resort fee when you leave.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@wackymother Are you able to trade what you own there through both II and RCI or are you limited to one of the two?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you haven't booked yet and have platinum with II, look again. Platinum escapes only have colonies and vv williamsburg but the price is good.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No II platinum. Finally decided on last minute RCI $279 2BR Greensprings. Stayed many times and it's familiar. I know there's a daily resort fee. Hoping only have to pay for 4 nights fee. Thanks to all.

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I may be working my way through eventually visiting all the Williamsburg Timeshares. I will do Greensprings sometime but haven't made it happen yet. The Marriott is the one I want to do the most, but I have some factors working against my booking it.

Places my family has stayed:

The Colonies (owner)
Wyndham Kingsgate
King Creek Townes
Historic Powhattan
Bluegreen Patrick Henry Square

Thus far there is no hands-down winner, but a series of trade-offs depending upon what one wants most. I would be willing to stay at any of them again.

No II platinum. Finally decided on last minute RCI $279 2BR Greensprings. Stayed many times and it's familiar. I know there's a daily resort fee. Hoping only have to pay for 4 nights fee. Thanks to all.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be working my way through eventually visiting all the Williamsburg Timeshares. I will do Greensprings sometime but haven't made it happen yet. The Marriott is the one I want to do the most, but I have some factors working against my booking it.

Places my family has stayed:

The Colonies (owner)
Wyndham Kingsgate
King Creek Townes
Historic Powhattan
Bluegreen Patrick Henry Square

Thus far there is no hands-down winner, but a series of trade-offs depending upon what one wants most. I would be willing to stay at any of them again.

We've stayed at King's Creek Cottages, Powhatan, Kingsgate, and Patrick Henry. And whatever they're calling Colonial Crossings now--maybe Holiday Inn Vacation Club? I liked some better than others, but yes, we would stay at any of them again.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have stayed in a 3 BR in Wyndhams Governors Green. It was quite nice. It was one of the few outdoor pools that didn't seem overcrowded in the summer even in the evening on a hot day. No resort fees and the putt putt and rec center was decent. It was the best of all worlds when they had usage at Kingsgate by paying the resort fee there only on the days you used it. So a one day trip for the 8 of us to use the arcade for a couple of hours was $6.

Between the platinum escapes and the $159 internal exchange to VV and Colonies, we have been staying there on our trips during the last 2-3 years and avoiding prime summer times.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have stayed in a 3 BR in Wyndhams Governors Green. It was quite nice. It was one of the few outdoor pools that didn't seem overcrowded in the summer even in the evening on a hot day. No resort fees and the putt putt and rec center was decent. It was the best of all worlds when they had usage at Kingsgate by paying the resort fee there only on the days you used it. So a one day trip for the 8 of us to use the arcade for a couple of hours was $6.

Between the platinum escapes and the $159 internal exchange to VV and Colonies, we have been staying there on our trips during the last 2-3 years and avoiding prime summer times.

Kingsgate is our favorite overall (of the ones we have been to). It can get a bit loud, but is usually good. Kids love the heated pool, rec stuff, and I like the location.

Like you, we often stay at the Colonies on a $159 VV internal exchange with RCI.

I have also been known in off weeks to book a heavily discounted Massanutten week with an internal VV exchange fee … and then do a resort change request for Historic Powhattan or something else with a lot of availability in Williamsburg.

That is a good way to get a bargain, and if someday I happen to get stuck at Massanutten, I can live with that.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at Greensprings, Powhatan, King Creek, Kingsgate and in the Marriott’s MMC and the Marriott’s Sequel section.

Our favorite resort and hands down is the Marriott’s MMC .

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of your list, they are all pretty good. The BlueGreen is a hotel conversion, but the others were built as timeshares.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed in a 2-bedroom at Vacation Village last year and will again this year. I’d rate it 3.5/5. Fine condos. Small pool for size of resort. Washer/dryer shared with next door condo rather than in unit. Master bedroom at front of condo (just different from other places I’ve stayed). Two story buildings so stairs, which is a real problem for me. Traffic circle in front of resort could back up at times and there was construction last year. Hopefully that is done this year. Despite all the negative comments, I’m going back so didn’t over ride the condo being safe, clean and well equipped.

hmm had a very different experience for Labor Day vacation - but same outcome I plan on heading back it was an enjoyable peaceful trip.

I had a lower unit 2bedroom no stairs even at the entrance. Washer and dryer in the hall closet between master bedroom and bath not shared and the master bedroom and bath were in the back…

the room was DATED but everything was clean and mostly in working order…the patio door lock was broken but a call to the front desk and maintenance was there within a half hour…

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going to be staying at Marriott Manor Club for the first time next year! I just snagged a Getaway (with help from a friend). Looking forward to checking it out.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Colonies charge something like $30 or $35 total in resort fees for the week.

Just checked in tonight at the Colonies (late check in for a Sunday week through RCI).

My RCI platinum resort change request to Kingsgate did not go through.

I told them I was an owner on check-in, and they waived the $35 resort fee.

That is a plus side to staying here as an owner. Guess I overpaid in the past.

dukebigtom

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the KC Townes on Indigenous Peoples Weekend and thought it was good enough. That is the only one on this list I have stayed at. Someday I will make the big time and check out the Marriott.

Are you going to see the Grand Illumination? We have always wanted to do that.

If staying for a long weekend, booking Historic Powhatan last minute through RCI and taking a partial refund on your resort fee when you leave early is about the most bang for your buck.

Williamsburg has a bunch of above average timeshares all with tradeoffs. With my family (kids) we like Wyndham’s Kingsgate best, request the top floor of a 2 floor building near the pool. It can be a bit loud sometimes … but we like the heated pool, activities, and proximity to other things. We own the Colonies and trade into it a fair amount as well.

We go to Williamsburg for 5 nights every Thanksgiving and do abt 3 long weekends there a year. Current reservation is for the Colonies Thanksgiving, but have an RCI platinum resort change request in for Kingsgate.

Grand Illuminations is fun, but if you're going to be down there at that time of the year, be sure to do the tree lighting at Yorktown and the parade of boats with lights. The night of the tree lighting, you can march around town with the Fife and Drum Corps and join the celebration. It's a lot of fun IMO.

BigTom

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked in tonight at the Colonies (late check in for a Sunday week through RCI).

My RCI platinum resort change request to Kingsgate did not go through.

I told them I was an owner on check-in, and they waived the $35 resort fee.

That is a plus side to staying here as an owner. Guess I overpaid in the past.
Please enjoy your stay in Williamsburg, VA. Suggestion only check out Busch Gardens Christmas Park displays for the holidays.
You can go on the internet and read all about it.