• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

nicest II resort Williamsburg (not Marriott)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
what's nicest II resort in Williamsburg (not Marriott)? upscale resort, good beds? We love Marriott (not available our dates). I usually stay at Greensprings via RCI, but want to use II AC.

AnnieBets

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed in a 2-bedroom at Vacation Village last year and will again this year. I’d rate it 3.5/5. Fine condos. Small pool for size of resort. Washer/dryer shared with next door condo rather than in unit. Master bedroom at front of condo (just different from other places I’ve stayed). Two story buildings so stairs, which is a real problem for me. Traffic circle in front of resort could back up at times and there was construction last year. Hopefully that is done this year. Despite all the negative comments, I’m going back so didn’t over ride the condo being safe, clean and well equipped.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can book kings creek any section or the colonies as well as vacation villas. Going to visit kid a college. Don’t need any activities. But do like nice digs.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at King's Creek and think it's nice! But we haven't been there in quite a few years. The Townes and Estates are newer, but in the Cottages if you get the 3br you get a whole little house to yourself.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Wyndham Governors Green trades through II as well as rci but it there aren't that many II deposits. Its my favorite of the 3 wyndhams.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks, Wyndham Governors Green is not an option and Holiday Inn Club Vacation seems too far away for W&M centric activities. I think it's down to Kings Creek (any section better than others?) and The Colonies. Any reason to consider Vacation Village?

DRIless

Reaction score
Holiday Inn Club Vacation seems too far away for W&M centric activities. I think it's down to Kings Creek (any section better than others?)

Really? Williamsburg is an extremely small town! You've picked the two farthest Williamsburg resorts, Kings Creek is 6.7 miles from the center of W&M Campus while HI Vacation Club is 6.6 miles. Both about 15 minutes depending on local conditions, YMMV.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
The last poster's comments are pretty much on point given the location, but Kings Creek has a very direct route to the college and is probably much faster than some others.

My two cents on the II oriented resorts.....Colonies and Vacation Village are just okay, but the location is good. Hilton's Historic Powhattan is a nice resort to me, but I can't tell you about the upkeep or condition of the units. It is close to the college. The ones that are really close to campus (Bluegreen, Westgate, Patriots Place) aren't great IMO, more that they are hotel conversions. I don't like Greensprings because the units are not great in terms of quality.

I would pick Powhattan and then Kings Creek. If Kings Creek, it is a fairly large complex. The Estates are 4BR lock offs with multiple configurations. The Towns are 4BR lock offs into 2 2BR units. These have a small extra room off the master that could be considered a bedroom with a sleep sofa. The original section (Cottages) are 3BR lock offs with a 2BR and a very small 1BR. Go for Towns or Estates.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks, interesting--as I think Greensprings units are quite nice since renovations, and I'd put over Pow. So I if I added Holiday Inn, which would Tuggers choose: HIVC or Kings Creek?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I'd prefer a nicer resort all day long (even if a mile or two farther out) over some place that is closer but only mediocre at best.....
Williamsburg has a lot of average places that are not impressive at all.
Listen to Big Matt, that's his stomping ground and he knows!!!!

We are big Marriott fans and multiple owners, but we once stayed at Kings Creek and we enjoyed it a lot...
The villas are well laid out and very attractive and comfortable.
Everything around Williamsburg is relatively close anyway, so it's no big deal to drive 5 extra minutes!!!!!!

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we stayed at HIVC back in like 2006, when it was Colonial Crossings.

When we go to Williamsburg, we usually end up at Powhatan bc the grounds are beautiful and the TPUs are lower. But I think King's Creek has nicer units, and also a MUCH nicer indoor pool.

But generally I agree--whatever Big Matt says!

DRIless

Reaction score
I'd prefer a nicer resort all day long (even if a mile or two farther out) over some place that is closer but only mediocre at best.....

We are big Marriott fans and multiple owners, but we once stayed at Kings Creek and we enjoyed it a lot...
Everything around Williamsburg is relatively close anyway, so it's no big deal to drive 5 extra minutes!!!!!!
is a true statement, but I don't think Big Matt lives in Williamsburg.

I rented a condo to a short duration performer at Busch Gardens last week, he really wanted Bluegreen Parkside resort as he said
" this property appears to be across the street from Busch Gardens, where I’ll be working. " I couldn't get him the dates he needed at Bluegreen Parkside and he was disappointed because he thought the resort was right across a parking lot from BG. Well, it's right across a parking lot AND railroad tracks and TWO highways. It's 4.4 miles between the Bluegreen Parkside resort and the Pay-to Park entrance of BG, wherever they give employee parking would be about the same. Look at the map. The other factor that throws people off about Williamsburg is that Colonial Williamsburg occupies the whole center of town and there is no real direct route anywhere, you always have to go 'around.'

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score
The last poster's comments are pretty much on point given the location, but Kings Creek has a very direct route to the college and is probably much faster than some others.

My two cents on the II oriented resorts.....Colonies and Vacation Village are just okay, but the location is good. Hilton's Historic Powhattan is a nice resort to me, but I can't tell you about the upkeep or condition of the units. It is close to the college. The ones that are really close to campus (Bluegreen, Westgate, Patriots Place) aren't great IMO, more that they are hotel conversions. I don't like Greensprings because the units are not great in terms of quality.

I would pick Powhattan and then Kings Creek. If Kings Creek, it is a fairly large complex. The Estates are 4BR lock offs with multiple configurations. The Towns are 4BR lock offs into 2 2BR units. These have a small extra room off the master that could be considered a bedroom with a sleep sofa. The original section (Cottages) are 3BR lock offs with a 2BR and a very small 1BR. Go for Towns or Estates.

Every resort in the Williamsburg area has a relatively good location because Williamsburg (and its environs) is a SMALL town.

Bluegreen Patrick Henry Square is a block from Colonial Williamsburg and although it was a Best Western and a car dealership in the past. It was a total conversion with new buildings, except the car dealership and the building behind it. The car dealership is now the Sales Center for Bluegreen Patrick Henry Square AND Bluegreen Parkside.

Wyndham Patriots' Place is NOT a hotel conversion to my knowledge. It is the oldest Wyndham Resort in Williamsburg area with few amenities except for an outdoor pool, heated and open all year, and a gas firepit to sit around an make S'mores in front of the check-in building. There used to be an old Knights Inn no tell motel smack dab in the middle of the resort that was torn down more than a decade ago. Wyndham should have bought the land to add amenities and more units, but they didn't. Now there's a Ryan Homes townhouse development there between the two ends of Patriots' Place.

Westgate Williamsburg has the best location for William and Mary campus but it is a conversion of two hotel/motel properties that are two tenths of a mile apart. Google thinks that there's another Westgate Resort at the EXACT location of Vacation Village at Williamsburg, there isn't.

Last edited:

DRIless

Reaction score
Another hotel conversion that's seldom mentioned is the Patriots Inn, a Vacation Village Resort located near the Westgates on Richmond Road; maybe Big Matt was referring to that?
I've often seen Patriots Inn on II Getaways and Exchanges.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think we stayed at HIVC back in like 2006, when it was Colonial Crossings.

When we go to Williamsburg, we usually end up at Powhatan bc the grounds are beautiful and the TPUs are lower. But I think King's Creek has nicer units, and also a MUCH nicer indoor pool.

But generally I agree--whatever Big Matt says!
Even with the lower tpu's do you think powhatan is worth it with the resort fees charged through rci?

DRIless

Reaction score
Wmbg Turkey.jpg

Williamsburg is only 9.1 sq miles in the shape of a Turkey. Most of the development and most timeshares that are not hotel conversions are in James City County or York County. I have two pet friendly rentals in the tail of the Turkey. Just a bit of trivia.

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even with the lower tpu's do you think powhatan is worth it with the resort fees charged through rci?

Oh, yeah. Good point. Last time we stayed there (pre-pandemic) it was $70 per unit for a week. How much is it now?

I will say that that time and the following year we went at Xmas and got a 4br unit for one exchange fee and something like 15 TPU. We invited friends down and they had a whole 2br unit to themselves. (We paid the two $70 resort fees, one per 2br unit.) So those two times, yes, it was worth it.

BTW, we stayed at Bluegreen Patrick Henry once, about ten years ago. Location is great--you can walk to the closest Colonial Williamsburg bus stop, the one that's by Christina Campbell's Tavern. But we didn't really like the resort. Our unit was very dark. I remember just one small window in the living room and no windows at all in the bedroom. I don't remember if it had a kitchen or not. I'm sure there are better rooms, but that's how ours was. In the end we agreed that we would just stay at one of the farther-off resorts in years to come, and that's what we've done.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

is a true statement, but I don't think Big Matt lives in Williamsburg.
I rented a condo to a short duration performer at Busch Gardens last week, he really wanted Bluegreen Parkside resort as he said
" this property appears to be across the street from Busch Gardens, where I’ll be working. " I couldn't get him the dates he needed at Bluegreen Parkside and he was disappointed because he thought the resort was right across a parking lot from BG. Well, it's right across a parking lot AND railroad tracks and TWO highways. It's 4.4 miles between the Bluegreen Parkside resort and the Pay-to Park entrance of BG, wherever they give employee parking would be about the same. Look at the map. The other factor that throws people off about Williamsburg is that Colonial Williamsburg occupies the whole center of town and there is no real direct route anywhere, you always have to go 'around.'

Big Matt, who is a good friend and with whom I've dined several times when we've met at Grande Ocean on different occasions,
is not from Williamsburg as you point out,
but he went to William & Mary and is in Williamsburg quite often. He's a big booster of W&M, still attends football games, and is an active alum.
He does live in Virginia, not too far away, but he is very familiar with the city.

We both share a love of Virginia and Manor Club in particular, and we visit the resort annually. We have a favorite villa or two and enjoy them when we're there.
We also share a love for several of the finest restaurants around Williamsburg, and he actually still has family that owns one particularly great restaurant.
He's taught me a lot about the "current" Williamsburg, even though I know a little bit because I've visited many times since I was a child (although not timeshares).
Our family (Mom, Dad, & 4 kids) used to stay in the various Colonial Williamsburg properties when we visited every few years, and always had a blast.
After my wife and I had children, we likewise took them to Williamsburg when they finally reached an age that would allow them to appreciate it.
We are now empty nesters so we spend a week during Thanksgiving or Christmas annually, alternating whenever our children have commitments with the in-laws.
It's the old holiday swap thing we all face.

We're delighted that Williamsburg is relatively small and such a user-friendly city. Getting around quickly is quite easy. We bought Manor Club for only one reason---
it's the finest timeshare resort there, and one of the finest in the Marriott system. We have also stayed elsewhere....."closer in", as it were......
but we learned that it wasn't worth it to save a couple of minutes of driving time. That's just our take on it.

It's not to say that there are no other nice timeshares because there are, and we have stayed in a few and visited a few others, and enjoyed them all.
All give the owners and guests a wonderful experience in a fascinating and historic destination.
My main point was simply that the Williamsburg area is easily accessible within a few short minutes no matter where you stay.....much like all of Hilton Head Island
if you've ever been there.......only 12 x 5 miles in length/width.....so it's really no big deal like some purport it to be.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
For anyone who cares, my mother and sister still live in Williamsburg, and I own several properties there. I grew up there in the 60s/70s and went to college at William & Mary (undergrad and grad). I moved to Northern Virginia about 33 years ago, but I am in Williamsburg about 15 times a year and as Marty said, I attend a lot of events at the college. If anyone ever wants some inside baseball about the area including locals hang outs, etc. just shoot me a note. Always happy to help. I've never stayed in any of the RCI properties, but my cousin and her husband have stayed in all so I have reports from them too. The real difficult part about recommending Williamsburg timeshares is that its tough to know what people want. Some have nicer grounds, some have nicer buildings/units, some have better activities. As I said, the hotel conversions aren't high on my list and I believe that Manor Club is a cut above the rest by quite a large margin. Location isn't really a factor IMO since everything is 15 minutes or less to Colonial Williamsburg.

DRIless

Reaction score
Big Matt, who is a good friend and with whom I've dined several times when we've met at Grande Ocean on different occasions,
is not from Williamsburg as you point out,
but he went to William & Mary and is in Williamsburg quite often. He's a big booster of W&M, still attends football games, and is an active alum.
He does live in Virginia, not too far away, but he is very familiar with the city.

We both share a love of Virginia and Manor Club in particular, and we visit the resort annually. We have a favorite villa or two and enjoy them when we're there.
We also share a love for several of the finest restaurants around Williamsburg, and he actually still has family that owns one particularly great restaurant.
He's taught me a lot about the "current" Williamsburg, even though I know a little bit because I've visited many times since I was a child (although not timeshares).
Our family (Mom, Dad, & 4 kids) used to stay in the various Colonial Williamsburg properties when we visited every few years, and always had a blast.
After my wife and I had children, we likewise took them to Williamsburg when they finally reached an age that would allow them to appreciate it.
We are now empty nesters so we spend a week during Thanksgiving or Christmas annually, alternating whenever our children have commitments with the in-laws.
It's the old holiday swap thing we all face.

We're delighted that Williamsburg is relatively small and such a user-friendly city. Getting around quickly is quite easy. We bought Manor Club for only one reason---
it's the finest timeshare resort there, and one of the finest in the Marriott system. We have also stayed elsewhere....."closer in", as it were......
but we learned that it wasn't worth it to save a couple of minutes of driving time. That's just our take on it.

It's not to say that there are no other nice timeshares because there are, and we have stayed in a few and visited a few others, and enjoyed them all.
All give the owners and guests a wonderful experience in a fascinating and historic destination.
My main point was simply that the Williamsburg area is easily accessible within a few short minutes no matter where you stay.....much like all of Hilton Head Island
if you've ever been there.......only 12 x 5 miles in length/width.....so it's really no big deal like some purport it to be.
For anyone who cares, my mother and sister still live in Williamsburg, and I own several properties there. I grew up there in the 60s/70s and went to college at William & Mary (undergrad and grad). I moved to Northern Virginia about 33 years ago, but I am in Williamsburg about 15 times a year and as Marty said, I attend a lot of events at the college. If anyone ever wants some inside baseball about the area including locals hang outs, etc. just shoot me a note. Always happy to help. I've never stayed in any of the RCI properties, but my cousin and her husband have stayed in all so I have reports from them too. The real difficult part about recommending Williamsburg timeshares is that its tough to know what people want. Some have nicer grounds, some have nicer buildings/units, some have better activities. As I said, the hotel conversions aren't high on my list and I believe that Manor Club is a cut above the rest by quite a large margin. Location isn't really a factor IMO since everything is 15 minutes or less to Colonial Williamsburg.
My apologies to all, wasn't trying to stir up a hornets nest, I do plenty of that mowing grass in Williamsburg, on Benadryl right now from stings four days ago.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
so, it's Kings Creek (not estates, can book Townes or regular--cottages gives 2 single beds--prefer that, unless Townes is much better), Greensprings ($100 more), or Marriott ($200 more) for the week--staying 4 nights in December. Which one? And is KCP the icon for cottages in II or is KCP a generic (meaning I could get Cottages, Townes or Estates)? I see Townes and Estates have their own icons. Any issues with KC construction noise of housing development?

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
so, it's Kings Creek (not estates, can book Townes or regular--cottages gives 2 single beds--prefer that, unless Townes is much better), Greensprings ($100 more), or Marriott ($200 more) for the week--staying 4 nights in December. Which one? And is KCP the icon for cottages in II or is KCP a generic (meaning I could get Cottages, Townes or Estates)? I see Townes and Estates have their own icons. Any issues with KC construction noise of housing development?
If I could book The Marriott's Manor Club (MMC) with a 2 bedrooms villa, that would be my choice. suggestion only.
Suggestion only goes on the internet and compare Kings Creeks and the Marriott's Manor Club.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

Enh, for four nights, I would save $200 and take King's Creek. I've never stayed at the Marriott timeshares in Williamsburg, but King's Creek is quite nice and $200 is $200. :D

I'm not sure about the KCP designation. We own at the Cottages and that is our designation, but I don't know if you could possibly get the Townes or Estates through that one too.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

We stayed at the KC Townes on Indigenous Peoples Weekend and thought it was good enough. That is the only one on this list I have stayed at. Someday I will make the big time and check out the Marriott.

Are you going to see the Grand Illumination? We have always wanted to do that.

If staying for a long weekend, booking Historic Powhatan last minute through RCI and taking a partial refund on your resort fee when you leave early is about the most bang for your buck.

Williamsburg has a bunch of above average timeshares all with tradeoffs. With my family (kids) we like Wyndham’s Kingsgate best, request the top floor of a 2 floor building near the pool. It can be a bit loud sometimes … but we like the heated pool, activities, and proximity to other things. We own the Colonies and trade into it a fair amount as well.

We go to Williamsburg for 5 nights every Thanksgiving and do abt 3 long weekends there a year. Current reservation is for the Colonies Thanksgiving, but have an RCI platinum resort change request in for Kingsgate.

Last edited: