• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nice but inexpensive place to stay in SC

GeraldineT

Reaction score
We are driving to Florida next month and on the way down we drive through the night but on the way home are looking for someplace to stay a few (3-5) hours north of St Augustine, FL. South of the Border is almost 6 which may just be a bit too far. Florence, SC seems to be one of the areas that is right location wise but we are not looking to spend a fortune but have 3 kids so it has to be someplace clean.

Thanks in advance.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Wyndham has a resort on Edisto Island. We own at Wyndham in St Thomas and live in SC and have been wanting to trade into Edisto. I've heard great things about the resort. Charleston is good also.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stopped at Wyndham Edisto Beach on our trip to Disney this past summer. It is a good hour from I95. We got lucky and were able to book a 2 night stay during prime summer time. When they say it is very laid back here, they really do mean it. I enjoyed the laid backness, but it drove my 3 children (ages at the time 17,16 and 11) crazy.

I am not sure if I would leave I95 for just an overnite stop there though.

Lisa

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We are just looking for some place to rest our heads.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are lots of choices in Florence, but they are all very basic, off-the-interstate hotels. Clean, but serviceable. I would check Hotwire for deals.

I had a tire blowout on 1-95 in Florence coming back from Edisto one year (we rented a house with a bunch of friends.) We managed to coast off an exit, find a *full service* station with a garage at basically the end of the off-ramp, that also had an incredibly helpful service team that made sure to get to the Sears before it closed to purchase the tire we needed. Did I mention this was all at 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon? We refer to it as "the Florence miracle." ;)

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, just south of Florence is the town of Santee. It is on the edge of Santee State Park and the shores of Lake Marion. There's also a National Wildlife Refuge there. Definitely more scenic than Florence.

The hotels might not be that much nicer, but certainly no worse.I would think it would be a nicer stop, in general.

There's a visitor's bureau that has organized the hotels by 1-95 exits (very clever!) http://www.santeecoopercountry.org/accommodations.html

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lumberton has 1000's of rooms and many restaurants geared for I-95 people. What we generally do is stop at a visitors center/rest stop and pick up the hotel guides and see what looks acceptable, price wise and proximity to a restaurant and give a call to see if they have availability. The prices are "walk in" but I've never had a problem with them holding a room for an hour or so. We use this tactic wherever we travel, so far, so good. Oops, Lumberton is in NC, sorry.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I have stayed at Springhill suites and Residence Inn at Florence--both great for I95 places. Hilton Garden Inn is across the street, Courtyard is there, too. There is a Golden Corral right down the street, I think--and a good Thai take-out place. There are several nice, newer Hampton Inns along I95--some have Queen beds--we stay there sometimes, as well--in Dunn and somewhere else.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Also, just south of Florence is the town of Santee. It is on the edge of Santee State Park and the shores of Lake Marion. There's also a National Wildlife Refuge there. Definitely more scenic than Florence.

The hotels might not be that much nicer, but certainly no worse.I would think it would be a nicer stop, in general.

There's a visitor's bureau that has organized the hotels by 1-95 exits (very clever!) http://www.santeecoopercountry.org/accommodations.html

+ 1 I didn't think of Santee but it's right on I95 and would be a good place for an overnight stop.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Wyndham also has a resort in Santee...Wyndham Lake Marion

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and the great link. With 3 kids 5 & under we like to have a few options lined up before hand.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Wyndham also has a resort in Santee...Wyndham Lake Marion

We've stayed at Wyndham Lake Marion a couple of times for exactly the same reason -- break up a trip (between Pompano Beach and Fairfax County, VA). We have found it to be a very pleasant resort although Santee itself would get tiring pretty quick (unless you are a fisherman).

Our stays have been two nights, mostly because they don't seem to take one night reservations. That means you have one day to kick around. There are a couple of good local restaurants and a number of familiar chains. Captain's Table is probably the best of the bunch.

There is a nearly vacant outlet mall just off I-95 to the east. But, there is a totally fascinating antique store where you could easily spend several hours.

lindner

TUG Member
Reaction score
charleston

You might want to consider Charleston. Interstate 26 takes you right from I95, and it only takes a half hour or a bit more. When you leave Charleston the next day just take highway 17 south and it eventually joins I95; you will hardly lose any time. This is a nice drive and is 4 lane most of the way. Charleston has lots to do for the evening; many nice restaurants, shops, carriage rides, history, etc. I can put you up in a one or two bedroom at the Lodge Alley Inn, a historic and charming resort downtown, even if you just want to stay one night. Midweek stays are VERY inexpensive. Of course the earlier you make requests, the greater the availability. Cheers, Lee

Mel7706

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silverfox gave you

an excellent suggestion. We stay in St Augustine every year enroute to the Keys. We stop in Georgia and get the lodging guide and call enroute.
So far we have not been disappointed.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I make that I 95 drive I stay at Jameson Inns because they let my dogs stay there too. . I wouldnt say that they are cheap, but they are clean and offer a nice breakfast buffet which with 5 of you ought to save some money..

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Springhill suites and Residence Inn at Florence--both great for I95 places. Hilton Garden Inn is across the street, Courtyard is there, too. There is a Golden Corral right down the street, I think--and a good Thai take-out place. There are several nice, newer Hampton Inns along I95--some have Queen beds--we stay there sometimes, as well--in Dunn and somewhere else.

We have at both hotels and we also would stayed at both aagin. Springhil served a light breakast for free.

GeraldineT

Reaction score
The free breakfast is a huge plus. Would definitely pay more for that especially with 5 of us. :)

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jameson Inn is a small, regional chain, and I would second Ron's recommendation. I believe they have external corridors, if that's an issue for you, but otherwise, very well maintained.

Free breakfast is definitely a plus.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Wyndham Lake Marion in Santee. The 3 brs are huge, almost 1800 sq ft...and the two brs are a good size too, with beautiful decor and very nice layouts. I've stayed there several times and think it's the nicest interiors of any Wyndhams I've visited. Perfect location for folks going on I-95...and they're used to one or two night visitors and manage the turn-over nicely. Friendly staff...say hi to Hope and to Rika if you go!