• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

News article: How to get rid of a Timeshare

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im sure like TUG its based on sales history..which can be spotty at best for many resorts.

im not sure there is a better place than ebay completed listings however for the average timeshare owner!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
while we admit every article would benefit from a link to TUG in it...the information in this one will benefit any owner who reads it...and thats better than most! =)

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the article is well written it unfortunately is a bit too superficial. The article could be improved if, for example had a link to a TUG FAQ page and other reliable sources that would cover the subject in greater detail.
One point that was missed was contacting the HOA. The article suggested contacting the "developer," who in some cases is also the management company, but not always. I gave one back to the HOA as have many others.

Jayham78

Reaction score
What about the solution of using a third party company to handle this for you. I have spoken with many owners who were tired of dealing with resort developers, their hoa and boards, and even the attorney general's who have told them they cant help them. So lets say they turn to a third party company that has them out in less than a year. Yes they paid for this service but that what service is. If you dont want to mess with something you pay someone else to do it for you. House cleaning ,lawn service ,pool service, taxes service,and the list goes on. The rental in timeshare use to be non existent and same can be said about resale , however , according to the numbers they are booming now. Aren't these things options that timeshare owners can do on their own? Is there a cost for these services? Why pay someone to do what you can already do on your own ? I do believe that it needs cleaned up but again it's no worse than when timeshare first started , rental first started,or when resale had first started. There are plenty of articles that show the history of how awful timeshare sales,rentals,resales,exchanges,transfers,travel clubs,and liquidations have been towards the consumer and it's only an opinion of mine that one is no different than the other . It's all part of the process of owning a timeshare.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the solution of using a third party company to handle this for you.

For a few reasons. First, some are scams. They will take your money and do nothing. Secondly, some will get rid of your TS by illegal or questionable means such as the Viking ship or the unwitting foreclosure. The other is that, even though the company might do it by legal ethical means, that company will charge thousands of dollars to do what an owner can do for himself.

And I get what you say that many times people will pay others to do the dirty work for them. I get that. But a lot of newbies come on these boards and do not know how to get rid a TS and ask about these third parties. What many of us on TUG do is tell them how they can do it themselves (a method that they likely never heard of before) for thousands of dollars less. Many have used the free giveaway method here on TUG (when they hadn't heard of it before) and saved themselves thousands of dollars.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
im sure like TUG its based on sales history..which can be spotty at best for many resorts.

im not sure there is a better place than ebay completed listings however for the average timeshare owner!
I wish eBay would create fields for closing costs, transfer fees, other fees (like years MF some sellers want)

I like using Terapeak to data mine items but timeshares are kind of worthless because after a few months you can’t read listings in Terapeak any more and a lot of the costs could be what is in the listing. If they made it mandatory all fees had to be listed in these fields you would then be able to historically see what all kind of intervals are selling for.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
in days past folks used to input ebay listings into the TUG sales history database (you can input a sales history record on each individual resort review page).

they would just glean the information (sale price, maint fees, closing costs, etc) and input it so it will show up when anyone searches sales history info for that resort.

someone used to do this for marriott resorts religiously! youll still see tons of ebay entries in the sales history database for many of them.

its great to do that, as ebay doesnt make that information available to anyone after a few weeks!

Jayham78

Reaction score
Bravo sherry78. And eschjwI read her post on the steps of getting out of ihg. Very accurate and simply explained. Its my opinion from past experiences that they have been the best in show when it comes to owners wanting out of their ownership with marriot a close second place. I may be wrong but the is the data out there. I will start working to see if we can put them together by the end of the month

Reaction score
For a few reasons. First, some are scams. They will take your money and do nothing. Secondly, some will get rid of your TS by illegal or questionable means such as the Viking ship or the unwitting foreclosure. The other is that, even though the company might do it by legal ethical means, that company will charge thousands of dollars to do what an owner can do for himself.

And I get what you say that many times people will pay others to do the dirty work for them. I get that. But a lot of newbies come on these boards and do not know how to get rid a TS and ask about these third parties. What many of us on TUG do is tell them how they can do it themselves (a method that they likely never heard of before) for thousands of dollars less. Many have used the free giveaway method here on TUG (when they hadn't heard of it before) and saved themselves thousands of dollars.

Im trying to get out of mine and have called a few of these places. They try and push me into saying I was a victim of Fraud and misrepresentation. Is that the tactic?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
of course...they have to set the hook before reeling you in.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
They try and push me into saying I was a victim of Fraud and misrepresentation. Is that the tactic?

That is a tactic many use. The problem is that you have to provide tangible proof that you were a victim of fraud and misrepresentation. If you do not have solid proof, then it is just a matter of He said, She said, which would not hold up in court.

So in your case, what proof do you have that your were a victim of fraud and misrepresentation? You can claim that the sales person lied (which is not at all surprising) but in the end, the contract that you signed probably said that what was signed in the contract prevails over anything the sales person told you.

Jayham78

Reaction score
This tactic is used when you still owe on your timeshare. There are some 3rd party companies that the resorts do bussiness with. Its becoming fewer and fewer every month because so many do not follow through the process of getting it done and they should be shut down .

Ima Timesharer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fiesta Americana

You can't beat TUG for selling a timeshare (unless you're going to insist on getting to dollar -- and in that case you're probably gonna get scammed by some 3rd party company). I listed my 3 Mexico timeshares on TUG for a low price, because my wife wanted to get rid of them, in case I flopped over before she did. I bought them cheap as resales, enjoyed them for many years, and sold them cheap. I found a buyer for all three here, and had LT Tranfers handle the closing. It took about 8 months, because the buyer was travelling all the time, but LT Transfers stayed on top of it, and bugged the buyer and the resort management, as necessary, and kept me informed. They more than earned their modest fee.

81Fran

Reaction score
If I need more detailed information about a specific seller, I use Mystoreanalyst. It shows sales and another information. Terapeak anonymize some data :(

I wish eBay would create fields for closing costs, transfer fees, other fees (like years MF some sellers want)

I like using Terapeak to data mine items but timeshares are kind of worthless because after a few months you can’t read listings in Terapeak any more and a lot of the costs could be what is in the listing. If they made it mandatory all fees had to be listed in these fields you would then be able to historically see what all kind of intervals are selling for.