• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport, Maui, Palm Desert, Oh My!

thmom

Reaction score
Here is my situation: I have kids in school so I am tied to high demand times. I live in Oregon and love Maui. Obviously want sunny vacations. I have decided on Marriott but am trying to decide which 1 or 2 to possibly buy. I can easily catch a flight to Newport, Palm Desert, Las Vegas and generally go to Maui every other year. I've visited and toured Desert SpringsII and like the 2 bdrm lockoff, and the hotel resort amenities. I haven't yet stayed at Newport, but intend to rent there in Dec. I realize there are some issues there with owners getting the weeks they want in July/Aug. Also no real restaurant on site is a minus, but the location is great. Have been to Maui Marriott a few times, but before it became vacation club. I've heard for west coast Hawaii and Newport would maybe be best traders. How would DS I or II or Grand Chateau stack up to these as traders? Have family in L.A. and Palm Springs. Right now leaning heavily to NCV, but want to stay there
1st. Any input would be much appreciated.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how Palm Springs could be beat for sun! With Newport Coast there's always the possibility of May Grey, June Gloom and this can happen any time of year really.

My bet is for DSV I or II.

Janna

Bill4728

Reaction score
I haven't yet stayed at Newport, but intend to rent there in Dec. I realize there are some issues there with owners getting the weeks they want in July/Aug. Also no real restaurant on site is a minus, but the location is great
At a resort in the middle of SoCal, the last thing I would find as a negitive at the resort is that there isn't a restaurant on site. Who cares??

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The downside of Hawaii is the relative expense of ownership -- the higher purchase price and the higher MF's. Cost may be the only downside, but if you intend to go there only half the time and trade it the remainder, it is a substantial extra cost. But if you want ocean view rooms when you do go, you need to consider buying there; exchangers generally get island/mountain views.

Newport has a major defect as a trader compared to everything else you mentioned -- the units are non-lockoffs. I think you are wise to do on-site research (as a renter) before finalizing your decision.

Have you considered purchasing two alternate year contracts?

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Spring is not really all that fun with kids. Newport has waaaay more options for children, including all the great beaches, amusement parks (DL...) plus a chance to drive down to San Diego for even more entertainment.

Palm Spring is much more of an adult place. Yes they have a kid's club and good pool but still, outside the resort the activities are limited. Great golf and tennis for the adults though!

Getting to Hawaii is $$$$ and time consuming year after year. And Las Vegas to me seems just way to grungy and dirty for children. You can trade into it but I would not want to own there.

I'd vote for NCV!

Katherine

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
At a resort in the middle of SoCal, the last thing I would find as a negitive at the resort is that there isn't a restaurant on site. Who cares??
If it helps any, they plan to turn the sales pavillion into a restuarant once the current and final phase nine is complete.:rolleyes:

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vote for Maui

We love Maui, so that's my vote. Once you are there you can spend the whole time at the resort (with maybe a day trip to Hana). There is lots for the kids to do at the resort(snorkeling/surfing/swimming/sunning on the beach, etc.).

I assume you are going to fly to whichever location you choose. Once you've gone through the hassle of getting through the airport, an additional hour or two on the plane is no big deal.

Since you are going to buy resale (right?), I would suggest you get a fixed week so that you know you can go whever you want.

While there are many things to do in Southern California, I am not very excited about NCV. The pools are crowded and everything is a long drive on crowded freeways (and I'm a native of Southern California). Also, I understand that owners at NCV have a hard time getting the weeks they want.

If you want another suggestion (just to totally confuse you), we just got back from Phoenix and loved that resort. There are 4 acres of pools at the adjoining JW Marriott. If your kids love to swim, the pools are great. Also, I love the Timber Lodge resort if your kids are into skiing or summer mountain activities.

Your idea of renting first and checking it out is a good one.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Very smart to rent/try it before you buy it. I just loved Maui . If I was going EOY I do not know if I would Maui as my home resort for higher prices,MF and flight costs unless there was a week I absolutely had to vacation.

So many beaches and places to see in California.

With children you want to buy taking into account the school schedule even if they are presently not enrolled and places of interest as they age.

Also good to check out when each of the resorts last had upgrades/special assessments.

linmcginn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are Newport coast owners and have never had a problem reserving summer months although we prefer Sept.- Nov.. As far as a restaurant on property, for us it isn't a big deal. The Vista Pool Bar by the main pool area is in the process of being upgraded and there are many nice restaurants close to the resort. The new pool near the new villas (buildings 4000+) will be completed by the end of June 2009. If you are flying into Orange County Airport, Newport has a free shuttle that will pick you up. Newport also has free shuttles to Laguna, Fashion Island, Crystal Cove State Park and a new shuttle service within the the property. There is a lot to see and do in the area but we also love to spend time enjoying the resort and all it has to offer!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For 2009, Maui and DSV I & II are getting AC's (bonus weeks) from II for deposits, while MGC and NCV are not. Of course that can change in the future. Just a thought.

Terry

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've been seeing for awhile for our multi-season ownership at NCV:

2009 (Float) TOVI
2 6
AvailableThis unit is available to deposit and exchange immediately, use to place an exchange request, or exchange at a later date.

Deposit this week and get an extra seven-night resort stay! see details

Thank you for depositing your week. Once the deposit is verified, you will receive your bonus Resort Accommodation Certificate.

If your check-in date is between December 12, 2008 and June 3, 2009, just deposit this week to qualify for a bonus Resort Accommodation Certificate! It's that easy. Don't wait … deposit now!

2009 (Float) TOVI
2 6
AvailableThis unit is available to deposit and exchange immediately, use to place an exchange request, or exchange at a later date.

Deposit this week and get an extra seven-night resort stay! see details

Thank you for depositing your week. Once the deposit is verified, you will receive your bonus Resort Accommodation Certificate.

If your check-in date is between April 16, 2009 and September 16, 2009, just deposit this week to qualify for a bonus Resort Accommodation Certificate! It's that easy. Don't wait … deposit now!

OP, if you will be needing a 2BR for awhile (with your kids), I'd suggest buying NCV short-term at the now depressed market prices resale and then, later, if you need more flexibility, review your options in a few years. I think our MF's are 841 this year, up from 632 when we bought in 2004. Property taxes go to the OCTC and are seperate. Anyway, try it out in December and see what you think. Rentals and getaways are freely available this time of year.

We traded our gold season for Waiohai at Thanksgiving this year and I'm seeing a lot of HI availability with a late (flexchange) gold season 2008 deposit within the flexchange period.

Good luck!

Pat

danuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
NCV vs Palm Sprins, HI

We own NCV and have recieved an AC for 2009 and an offer for an AC for 2010 exchange

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've been seeing for awhile for our multi-season ownership at NCV: ....

Good luck!

Pat

Pat, I stand corrected. :hi:
I have be keeping up (somewhat) with which resorts have been offered AC's from II. I did not know that NCV is on that list. :eek: It is definately something a buyer should at least consider if he is going to be using his week for trading.

Terry

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it helps any, they plan to turn the sales pavillion into a restuarant once the current and final phase nine is complete.:rolleyes:

Andar

Where did you hear this? I was told and it may not be true, that a timeshare resort can not have a restaurant on site because of zoning or somethig. The only way to have a restaurant is if they still have hotel rooms to rent.

But once again I could be wrong.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andar
If it helps any, they plan to turn the sales pavillion into a restuarant once the current and final phase nine is complete.
Where did you hear this? I was told and it may not be true, that a timeshare resort can not have a restaurant on site because of zoning or somethig. The only way to have a restaurant is if they still have hotel rooms to rent.

But once again I could be wrong.

We've toured at NCV 3 times in the past 5 years & What Andar is saying is the standard line which the salemen at NCV have been saying for the past 5 years. I don't know if it bull but it is what the NCV salepeople have been saying for all that time.

thmom

Reaction score
Thanks for responses

Dear all, thanks for the many responses!:D I was having a little problem logging back on. We have snagged a rental at Newport for Dec.26-Jan2. That will be a great way to test drive the resort. I think right now I'm leaning toward NCV, if we like what we see when there. Then down the road maybe a purchase at DSV for the lock off capability and the winter months escape. The resale prices are amazingly low right now-I've been watching fro 6-9 mos. The fact that a restaurant may be going in at NCV would be a plus, but I won't base the decision on that as it may or may not happen. I read the resort reviews and it sounds like a beatiful resort in a great area for family fun. If I buy a Plat. at NCV and down the road a Plat at DSV would these go together to allow me the 13 mo. ahead booking window? They are not in the same season except around X-mas. I read somewhere that for the 13 month window they have to be booked for the same time or consecutive weeks. Not sure if this would work w/ a plat. season at these 2 resorts. I think MOC-which I'm sure would be great-is harder to get to on a regular basis and has such expensive MF's, probably some special assessments too. I knew you would all come through with the good info. Patty

Andar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Newport Coast Villas
Shadow Ridge
We've toured at NCV 3 times in the past 5 years & What Andar is saying is the standard line which the salemen at NCV have been saying for the past 5 years. I don't know if it bull but it is what the NCV salepeople have been saying for all that time.

What Bill says is true. The resort sales force says the restaurant will replace the sales pavillon. The only difference now, from 5 years ago, is they are actually working in the last phase, instead of still having numeroys phases to build. Regarding the hotel aspect, they do rent out rooms nighly.;)

I would not make a decision based on salesman promise, just more info to consider. Glad you will be there the end of Dec.:cheer:

thmom

Reaction score
I thought that might be the case, not sure white season at Desert Springs works for us based on vacations, don't want to go in summer and don't have a week vacation in fall. Although we were just down there for 5 days. Hmmm.

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thmom:
We are in the same boat as you - kids in school, need to travel during traditional vacation times, plus my husband is a teacher so we'll be this way even after the kids are in college. We stayed at NCV back in mid-June and loved it. I like warm and some sun, but there's no way I could do summer time in Palm Springs. Even though it may be a little cloudy in the early morning, the sun pops open around 11am and it's beautiful. I am also from LA originally so I know the weather in Orange County is more to my taste than the hot summers of Palm Springs. NCV has a fixed week - Platinum Plus - either July 4th week or Christmas week. I also have family still in the LA area. So I'm thinking about a resale NCV July 4th week. This way you don't need to worry about the others who have multiple Marriott weeks and can book summer weeks at 13 or 14 months out. You just need to pick a Fri, Sat or Sun check in day! I'm still trying to convince my sister to share the NCV ownership w/ me. Unfortunately NCV Plat Plus ownership is annual only - they do not do every other year, whereas they do EOY with regular Plat and Gold seasons.

Kokonut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thmom:
We are in the same boat as you - kids in school, need to travel during traditional vacation times... NCV has a fixed week - Platinum Plus - either July 4th week or Christmas week. I also have family still in the LA area. So I'm thinking about a resale NCV July 4th week. This way you don't need to worry about the others who have multiple Marriott weeks and can book summer weeks at 13 or 14 months out. You just need to pick a Fri, Sat or Sun check in day!

CatBinCO:

We are in a similar situation. July 4th Platinum Plus weeks must be scarce as I haven't seen any listed lately. The Christmas fixed week seems to be more available as someone posted recently that they purchased one at a great price. They mentioned that the seller had additional weeks for sale so I am thinking about it. Having lived in LA, what do you think NCV will be like during Christmas and New Years?

Thanks,

Koko

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
NCV is coastal, so it will always be cooler than the inland cities. However, I have seen it 90 degrees at Christmas time before (I lived next door to Pasadena), which would mean about 80 at the coast. LA is always warm though. If you plan to go into Pasadena for the Rose Parade or bowl game, it will be warmer.

You can try Seth Nock - last time I talked to him a few months ago he had a couple sellers with July 4th weeks. For me, I prefer to vacation in the summer anyways. Christmas is for staying home and snowboarding!