• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Villas - Week of 10/17/2020

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
“In today's presentation, we were shocked to discover that Marriott is pulling their timeshares out of Interval International and those of us that trade our weeks will not be able to trade to any Marriott property in Interval.”

I can’t imagine that’s true.

Another vote for highly unlikely. Marriott bought Interval not long ago. Whey would they want to gut it?

I have been told by salespeople trying to sell me on buying DC points that the future is in points, and that the availability of weeks for exchange is going to significantly decrease (thus making my timeshare life difficult). It's a tactic designed to scare us into buying points. But fortunately this hasn't been the case so far. The main thing that MVC has done recently is introduce the Pulse properties, and I don't see those properties available for exchange nearly so often as weeks at the traditional timeshare resorts. But to me, the Pulse properties are just converted hotels, and of far less interest than a stay at a traditional timeshare.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't the usual line that they try to convince you that it will be tougher and tougher for weeks owners to get Marriott inventory through trades in II, as that inventory is being shifted to points owners. That could easily be interpreted as a threat that Marriott inventory is going out of II.

DaveS99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Royal Palms
It sounded funny to me too. So he brought in his supervisor and Director of Sales.
The salesman was trying to convince me to buy points and as part of the sales tactic, I think he let this slip out because he thought I would need additional points to get into some of the properties since my week would not cover some properties at high point locations like in Hawaii. The change was supposed to happen Jan 1, but it has been delayed because of Coronavirus until later next year.
I kept asking for details, but received none. I was only told that that just about everyone they surveyed dislike the hassles of dealing with trying to trade within Interval and instead just traded their week for points. They also said that Marriott timeshare owners were fed up trying to get a week at a particular resort only to find that somone from another resort traded their week into a Marriott timeshare that they had been trying to get into. So they were giving people what they asked - have people trade their week in for points & use the points to book a week at their preferred destination.

I pointed out two significant issues with this logic:
1. Those of us that trade our weeks through Interval were frustrated that Marriott week owners are not given first notice as to any Marriott resorts that become available so we can grab them ourselves. This is why we are frustrated with Interval.
2. I said earlier that I trade my week for other Marriott properties. If I were to convert my week into VC points, I would not have enough points for every Marriott location. But if that resort became available in Interval, I could indeed grab it.

I asked if they were in fact pulling the Marriott weeks out of Interval so that Marriott owners can trade with other Marriott owners in a Marriott only program and their answer was they already have Interval for trading weeks and now they are moving everything to the VC point system. If we want to trade within Interval, we can, but there will be no Marriott inventory for us to choose from.

Their answer to this was simply: "Buy more VC points."

I have looked for corroborating information on TUG and other places, but I have not yet confirmed any of this. This is no joke, this is no lie. If anyone can show this is not what they told me I will be grateful. I would very much like to be wrong, but 3 different Marriott sales people told me this today, and I stormed out mad as hell from what I heard. When they invited me to a sales presentation, why would they want me pissed off?

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
It sounded funny to me too. So he brought in his supervisor and Director of Sales.
The salesman was trying to convince me to buy points and as part of the sales tactic, I think he let this slip out because he thought I would need additional points to get into some of the properties since my week would not cover some properties at high point locations like in Hawaii. The change was supposed to happen Jan 1, but it has been delayed because of Coronavirus until later next year.
I kept asking for details, but received none. I was only told that that just about everyone they surveyed dislike the hassles of dealing with trying to trade within Interval and instead just traded their week for points. They also said that Marriott timeshare owners were fed up trying to get a week at a particular resort only to find that somone from another resort traded their week into a Marriott timeshare that they had been trying to get into. So they were giving people what they asked - have people trade their week in for points & use the points to book a week at their preferred destination.

I pointed out two significant issues with this logic:
1. Those of us that trade our weeks through Interval were frustrated that Marriott week owners are not given first notice as to any Marriott resorts that become available so we can grab them ourselves. This is why we are frustrated with Interval.
2. I said earlier that I trade my week for other Marriott properties. If I were to convert my week into VC points, I would not have enough points for every Marriott location. But if that resort became available in Interval, I could indeed grab it.

I asked if they were in fact pulling the Marriott weeks out of Interval so that Marriott owners can trade with other Marriott owners in a Marriott only program and their answer was they already have Interval for trading weeks and now they are moving everything to the VC point system. If we want to trade within Interval, we can, but there will be no Marriott inventory for us to choose from.

Their answer to this was simply: "Buy more VC points."

I have looked for corroborating information on TUG and other places, but I have not yet confirmed any of this. This is no joke, this is no lie. If anyone can show this is not what they told me I will be grateful. I would very much like to be wrong, but 3 different Marriott sales people told me this today, and I stormed out mad as hell from what I heard. When they invited me to a sales presentation, why would they want me pissed off?

You have no need to be concerned. Just enjoy your time at NCV and utilize you money gift for the presentation. Enjoy the weather and the food.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have no need to be concerned. Just enjoy your time at NCV and utilize you money gift for the presentation. Enjoy the weather and the food.
I just want to say I'm enjoying 3 weeks at Marriott Maui Ocean Club, all exchanged using Interval International A/Cs. (Yes, this only happened as a result of Covid, but no matter to me.) Don't know what the future holds for II and Marriott, but it seems wrong that it was discussed with you at this time, true or false.

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
Steven and Dave- were both your presentations in the sales offices? If yes did they wear masks? We’re you given the opportunity to have the presentation outside or online?

thank you

DaveS99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Royal Palms
We waited outside at a table, the salesman came out & we chatted a bit then he took us back to his office for the presentation & sales pitch. Everyone is required to wear a mask and there was a plexiglass partition on the salesman's desk separating him from us as well.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even now you can only trade MVC to MVC using Weeks with Interval.
Using DC Points with Interval is only possible for trading to non MVC resorts.
Perhaps there was some misunderstanding with this difference?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
“If anyone can show this is not what they told me I will be grateful.”
Came out of the mouth of salesmen!

Think this through- why would you be the only person they “let this slip“ to?
It makes no sense at all that MVC would pull timeshares out of II.
What would happen to all the unenrolled weeks owners that don’t want to stay their ownership?
MVC has no internal exchange mechanism to allow swaps.
Doesnt seem likely they would switch to another exchange company since MVC and II are owned together.
Your level of mad would be nothing compared to the many, many other MVC owners. I don’t think salesmen would be the ones to share.
Could they have meant MVC is perhaps be stopping their deposit of excess weeks into II? Sometimes “half truths” get told.

When I went to a sale setting specifically set up to enrolled my week 5+ years ago our first salesperson said “now you won’t have to use II anymore”. My spouse looked at me confused but I had done my homework and corrected the salesperson and she said “oh, well you won’t want to”. I have used points twice in all that time.

Enjoy your vacation!

also-
“Those of us that trade our weeks through Interval were frustrated that Marriott week owners are not given first notice as to any Marriott resorts that become available so we can grab them ourselves. This is why we are frustrated with Interval.”
MVC owners do have priority view where they are the only ones who can exchange into an MVC property for 3 weeks once it is deposited into II. This extends to the other brands now owned by Marriott to varying degrees.

Last edited:

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
“If anyone can show this is not what they told me I will be grateful.”
Came out of the mouth of salesmen!

Think this through- why would you be the only person they “let this slip“ to in 10 months?

It makes no sense at all that MVC would pull timeshares out of II.
What would happen to all the unenrolled weeks owners that don’t want to stay their ownership?
MVC has no internal exchange mechanism to allow swaps.
Doesnt seem likely they would switch to another exchange company since MVC and II are owned together.
Your level of mad would be nothing compared to the many, many other MVC owners. I don’t think salesmen would be the ones to share.
Could they have meant MVC is perhaps be slowing/ stopping the deposit of excess weeks into II?

When I went to a sale setting specifically set up to enrolled my week 5+ years ago our first salesperson said “now you won’t have to use II anymore”. My spouse looked at me confused but I had done my homework and corrected the salesperson and she said “oh, well you won’t want to”. I have used points twice in all that time.

Enjoy your vacation!

also-
“Those of us that trade our weeks through Interval were frustrated that Marriott week owners are not given first notice as to any Marriott resorts that become available so we can grab them ourselves. This is why we are frustrated with Interval.”
MVC owners do have priority view where they are the only ones who can exchange into an MVC property for 3 weeks once it is deposited into II. This extends to the other brands now owned by Marriott to varying degrees.

I must say that I like the advantage points give me with midweek stays because I save a great deal of money on airfare. I book 13 months out too, so I enjoy knowing my time is secure. My reservations for 3 weeks for next June & July 2021 at Grand Ocean, Baroney Beach and Ocean Watch were secured in May and June 2020 of 2020. I like that advantage over Interval. I own weeks and elect points. I’m not trying to create a debate because that’s been done here many times, but it’s a feature I do like and find valuable.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must say that I like the advantage points give me with midweek stays because I save a great deal of money on airfare. I book 13 months out too, so I enjoy knowing my time is secure. My reservations for 3 weeks for next June & July 2021 at Grand Ocean, Baroney Beach and Ocean Watch were secured in May and June 2020 of 2020. I like that advantage over Interval. I own weeks and elect points. I’m not trying to create a debate because that’s been done here many times, but it’s a feature I do like and find valuable.
Hi csalter2,
I like having the option to do what fits my life at a particular time. Didn’t mean to imply I didn’t like points- just haven’t been the best option for me often so far.

Last edited:

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
What a coincidence! I just checked into Marriott Newport Coast & attended a Timeshare presentation.
We own both a deeded week & VC points. We usually trade our week through Interval to go to other Marriott resorts. We traded our week for another Marriott week in Newport Coast, Frenchman's Cove in US Virgin Islands, multiple places in Hawaii, etc.
In today's presentation, we were shocked to discover that Marriott is pulling their timeshares out of Interval International and those of us that trade our weeks will not be able to trade to any Marriott property in Interval. We can trade into Joe's fleabag timeshare resort, but not to any Marriott. Our only option going forward is to only use our home resort in Florida or trade for points.
They claim that the "Marriott timeshare owners" want this option. To me they are not adding anything to the program, but they are taking away my option to trade to my timeshare with another Marriott resort - which was the original purpose of the timeshare progam.
Marriot Sales people have pushing that nonsense for the last 5,6 years..I just say OK...sure..now where do I pick up my agreed upon “gift” for attending the show...although I must say..we attended a sales presentation at NCV last October and surprisingly,that topic never came up.

Last edited:

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Marriot Sales people have pushing that nonsense for the last 5,6 years..

I'd say it's been more like 10 years, ever since the DC program rolled out........

CourtShorr

Reaction score
There is a code to put into your bonvoy account but I think it’s just one MVC/Vistana properties not the regular hotels
Just checked in.
96% Occupancy.
Pool Capacity limited to 50%.
Once you’re in a room, they will not move you.
Housekeeping is suspended. There is a text service if you need anything.

Owner Update scheduled for tomorrow.
Offered $150 or 25K Bonvoy Points.

I’ll add more as the week progresses

We are here this week too!

We just sat through the presentation.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What a coincidence! I just checked into Marriott Newport Coast & attended a Timeshare presentation.
We own both a deeded week & VC points. We usually trade our week through Interval to go to other Marriott resorts. We traded our week for another Marriott week in Newport Coast, Frenchman's Cove in US Virgin Islands, multiple places in Hawaii, etc.
In today's presentation, we were shocked to discover that Marriott is pulling their timeshares out of Interval International and those of us that trade our weeks will not be able to trade to any Marriott property in Interval. We can trade into Joe's fleabag timeshare resort, but not to any Marriott. Our only option going forward is to only use our home resort in Florida or trade for points.
They claim that the "Marriott timeshare owners" want this option. To me they are not adding anything to the program, but they are taking away my option to trade to my timeshare with another Marriott resort - which was the original purpose of the timeshare progam.
Another vote for no reason to be concerned. Chalk it up to sales peak and your timeshare education. You've learned a valuable lesson and thank goodness this bologna didn't cause you to buy anything.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
They claim that the "Marriott timeshare owners" want this option. To me they are not adding anything to the program, but they are taking away my option to trade to my timeshare with another Marriott resort - which was the original purpose of the timeshare program.

I was there on a trade and they told me same stuff as they wanted to sell me more points. We did not believe it and just told him we will cross this bridge when we get there.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have heard different versions of this ever since we began going to presentations as owners in 2007.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Hi csalter2,
I like having the option to do what fits my life at a particular time. Didn’t mean to imply I didn’t like points- just haven’t been the best option for me often so far.

I got it!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Since the rollout of the DC points program I see more developer deposits into II than pre DC. Granted the units do not match as far out as 10-12 months. But now majority of my matches are 6-8 months out for MKO. If MVC is not depositing to II then I am a bit surprised. I have traded 24 weeks at MKO for 2021 in the past month. Most unit codes start with H, which indicates they are developer inventory deposits.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
Another vote for highly unlikely. Marriott bought Interval not long ago. Whey would they want to gut it?

I have been told by salespeople trying to sell me on buying DC points that the future is in points, and that the availability of weeks for exchange is going to significantly decrease (thus making my timeshare life difficult). It's a tactic designed to scare us into buying points. But fortunately this hasn't been the case so far. The main thing that MVC has done recently is introduce the Pulse properties, and I don't see those properties available for exchange nearly so often as weeks at the traditional timeshare resorts. But to me, the Pulse properties are just converted hotels, and of far less interest than a stay at a traditional timeshare.
I agree, I have found that the sales presentations are pushing the points system and downplaying trades with Interval. They always seem surprised that we are using Interval at all and seem to encourage turning deeded weeks into DP and using only the DP system. I too am not much of a fan of the Pulse properties and we enjoy the traditional timeshare set up. I will keep using Interval with trades as long as it works for us.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
I agree, I have found that the sales presentations are pushing the points system and downplaying trades with Interval. They always seem surprised that we are using Interval at all and seem to encourage turning deeded weeks into DP and using only the DP system. I too am not much of a fan of the Pulse properties and we enjoy the traditional timeshare set up. I will keep using Interval with trades as long as it works for us.
It’s all a bunch of b.s.....M to M exchanges thru Interval are going NOWHERE

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We attended an update at Shadow Ridge and asked about MVC and II. The rep said that is not true, which is what each of us has understood. Of course they continue to push the use of points as the way of the future if not the current time. We will continue to use II when it makes sense for us, but do love the flexibility of the DC points program.

Best regards.

Mike

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s all a bunch of b.s.....M to M exchanges thru Interval are going NOWHERE

It is a bunch of bull. Matter of fact, available Interval Inventory of Marriott units is likely increasing; not decreasing.

Why? All private sale transactions of weeks (which are not taken via ROFR) have no where to go but Interval as points are not even an option. Over time this will increase the available inventory of weeks in Interval.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
It is a bunch of bull. Matter of fact, available Interval Inventory of Marriott units is likely increasing; not decreasing.

Why? All private sale transactions of weeks (which are not taken via ROFR) have no where to go but Interval as points are not even an option. Over time this will increase the available inventory of weeks in Interval.

100% correct..over the years i have been to at least 8 sales presentations..I purchased points in 2014 and again in 2019...in most of them the sales person tried to convince me of the “inevitable”..exchanges would be drying up within the near future.....I’m still waiting...talk about crying wolf

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended presentation today at Westin Kaanapali Villas. I moved over here from Marriott. Arrived hoping my room might be available early. It wasn't, so I went over to Concierge to collect my gift. Had nothing better to do, so said yes to 1 pm appt -- when I checked in for appt, they gave me my $100 Amex card.

Met with the nicest man who has been selling Westin since the beginning, almost 20 years. His push was deeded weeks that are still available for sale in the 3 Lahaina locations. This will end on 12/31, at which time they will start selling Destination Points.

As part of his spiel, he explained the ways I could use my deeded week:
1. Use on property, or rent week.
2. Exchange for Bonvoy points.
3. DEPOSIT to Interval Int'l.

So, he is still pitching #3 as an option.