• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Villas - Week of 10/17/2020

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
It is a bunch of bull. Matter of fact, available Interval Inventory of Marriott units is likely increasing; not decreasing.

Why? All private sale transactions of weeks (which are not taken via ROFR) have no where to go but Interval as points are not even an option. Over time this will increase the available inventory of weeks in Interval.

100% correct..over the years i have been to at least 8 sales presentations..I purchased points in 2014 and again in 2019...in most of them the sales person tried to convince me of the “inevitable”..exchanges would be drying up within the near future.....I’m still waiting...talk about crying wolf

I can only tell you what I’ve personally observed.

In the past I used II for Marriott to Marriott exchanges as well as outside MVC’s system to trade back into the system. Nearly all have been instant exchanges.

In the past, it was easy to trade a studio unit, either MVC or non-MVC, to trade into MVC and I to a larger unit. Typically a one bedroom unit, often 2 bedroom units where available and on occasion I could see 3 bedroom units. For the last few years I’ve been lucky to see studio units, even when searching with larger units. Add to this the pickings have been slim with fewer weeks available.

I don’t trade week for week often but did so last year. I was attempting to trade a 2 bedroom for 2 bedroom into Lake Tahoe for the first week of June. Definitely NOT high season. I had to deposit first and wait for a match. Nothing in 2 bedroom units was showing available for instant exchanges. 10 years ago this would have been an easy instant exchange.

So, from my personal experience, the instant exchange inventory has indeed become much less. I’ve mostly given up looking except for curiosity to see what might be available. It’s bad enough that I no longer deposit studio units with the hope of upgrading to a one bedroom through instant exchange.

Now having said that, when I requested a deposit first exchange with II for a 2 bedroom unit in Lake Tahoe, it was matched the very quickly. But it was their choice if the weeks I had listed as acceptable and their choice of check in day. So it may be that while they’ve been able to control what can be viewed as an instant exchange there are still plenty of weeks exchanges available, you just have to use the traditional deposit/request method for exchange.

Internal points systems are intended to control inventory and keep that inventory primarily available to owners within those systems. DRI is another points system that does a good job of keeping inventory available for owners and limiting what can be seen online for instant exchange. I use to see Polo Towers 1 and 2 bedroom units for nearly any week in the year. I also use to see a good selection of DRI units in Sedona. Now I see very few. Internal points system most certainly DO reduce availability for weeks exchanges, at least as far as instant exchanges go. But this is just my personal observation after being a timeshare owner of 22 years.

Now, as to MVC pulling out of II, I kind of doubt it. However I’ve been watching g DRI’s attempt to do the same thing. DRI now has their “own” exchange company for DRI owners in addition to their weeks owners, weeks in points owners and trust point owners. As far as I can tell, they’re not completely out of II, but this is a definite attempt to greatly reduce DRI’s available inventory with II for exchanges. So there main be a grain of truth to the rumor in the MVC is looking at that option. looking or considering is far from implementing or planning to implement. After all, look how “quickly” they’ve integrated SVN and Hyatt into MVC. While I may doubt it, I wouldn’t put it out of the realm of possibilities. I was caught off guard when I saw that DRI had actually implemented their program and will watch to see how it works as they have an old system with weeks in both RCI and II as well as two classes of points participants/owners.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had an experience like yours from earlier. Studios still grab 2 and 3 bedrooms. I don't do a lot of ongoing searches, so I can't help much there. It could be that the trading power of your weeks has diminished. Stuff like that happens all the time with II.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I've had an experience like yours from earlier. Studios still grab 2 and 3 bedrooms. I don't do a lot of ongoing searches, so I can't help much there. It could be that the trading power of your weeks has diminished. Stuff like that happens all the time with II.

There are always variables and things change from year to year, but trade value of MVC weeks really hasn’t been one of them. That’s been relatively constant. I think the major change is the ability of systems to control inventory better than in the “old” days. I think a lot of it is still there, just not for instant exchanges. It’s there but they want to choose the week they give you, not you pick/choose what you want via instant online exchanges.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are always variables and things change from year to year, but trade value of MVC weeks really hasn’t been one of them. That’s been relatively constant. I think the major change is the ability of systems to control inventory better than in the “old” days. I think a lot of it is still there, just not for instant exchanges. It’s there but they want to choose the week they give you, not you pick/choose what you want via instant online exchanges.
My non Covid experience suggests the inventory is a little less but I agree more of it appears to be going to on going searches rather than instant exchanges. I suspect members are getting better at planning searches. Now with some additional resorts the total volume is likely as high or higher but I do think the DC system has pulled a certain % of weeks that would otherwise gone to II for deposit.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Orlando trading power has fallen off a little bit. Makes sense since nobody wanted to go given the pandemic. TDI doesn't change, but supply is definitely up and demand is down.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the name and email address of the GM at Newport Coast Villas? I now have a complaint.

The toilet in the master bath overflowed. My parents are in this room. By the time my mom let me know, it was all over the tile in the bath. We called engineering for help. I eventually found the plunger and got the toilet unclogged. It took over 45 min for Engineering to come to the room. They were going to send someone to sanitize the room but said that they will not clean it if anyone is in the Villa. My dad is taking a nap and I'm not just going to wake him up. They said I could schedule an appointment when were all going to be out of the room and them would come clean. that's 2 hours from now. I'm not going to just let the filth just sit in on the bathroom floor for 2 hours. It flowed through all of the tile area, including to the closet and in front of the bath tub area.

I finally convinced them to leave the sanitizing/cleaning supplies so I could clean it. Housekeeping comes over with a spray and two small towels/rags. That's not going to cut it. I take the supplies and the trash bag and begin to clean. Takes me 4 bath towels to mop it up and then I start sanitizing. It shouldn't be this difficult. In all, I lost 1.5 hours this afternoon and missed spending time with my wife and kids at the pool.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like it is James (Jim) Marks.
james.marks@vacationclub.com

Front Desk at first wouldn't tell me his name or contact info, saying that he's gone for the day and cannot be reached directly. I mentioned that it's fine that I just need his name and email address. They wouldn't provide me his email address but said his name is Jim Marks. Found his email from a former audit letter to owners and meeting minutes.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Anyone have the name and email address of the GM at Newport Coast Villas? I now have a complaint.

The toilet in the master bath overflowed. My parents are in this room. By the time my mom let me know, it was all over the tile in the bath. We called engineering for help. I eventually found the plunger and got the toilet unclogged. It took over 45 min for Engineering to come to the room. They were going to send someone to sanitize the room but said that they will not clean it if anyone is in the Villa. My dad is taking a nap and I'm not just going to wake him up. They said I could schedule an appointment when were all going to be out of the room and them would come clean. that's 2 hours from now. I'm not going to just let the filth just sit in on the bathroom floor for 2 hours. It flowed through all of the tile area, including to the closet and in front of the bath tub area.

I finally convinced them to leave the sanitizing/cleaning supplies so I could clean it. Housekeeping comes over with a spray and two small towels/rags. That's not going to cut it. I take the supplies and the trash bag and begin to clean. Takes me 4 bath towels to mop it up and then I start sanitizing. It shouldn't be this difficult. In all, I lost 1.5 hours this afternoon and missed spending time with my wife and kids at the pool.

Steven, sorry to hear of that issue. It’s not right that you had to take care of it and they didn’t provide sufficient supplies for you, which you shouldn’t have had to deal with. We’ve always had good experiences with response time and taking care of issues, if any, at NCV. I hope you don’t have any other issues and you enjoy the rest of your time there.

Best regards.

Mike

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
I attended presentation today at Westin Kaanapali Villas. I moved over here from Marriott. Arrived hoping my room might be available early. It wasn't, so I went over to Concierge to collect my gift. Had nothing better to do, so said yes to 1 pm appt -- when I checked in for appt, they gave me my $100 Amex card.

Met with the nicest man who has been selling Westin since the beginning, almost 20 years. His push was deeded weeks that are still available for sale in the 3 Lahaina locations. This will end on 12/31, at which time they will start selling Destination Points.

As part of his spiel, he explained the ways I could use my deeded week:
1. Use on property, or rent week.
2. Exchange for Bonvoy points.
3. DEPOSIT to Interval Int'l.

So, he is still pitching #3 as an option.

Was his name Howie? We met him several years ago- referred to himself as “Howie from Maui”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can affirm that 2 days ago, we were told the same story as @DaveS99. We did not "misunderstand". The salesperson's pitch was that since Marriott bought ILG, Marriott was going to pull all Marriott, Westin, Sheraton & Hyatt properties out of II "at the beginning of the year". Therefore, as Marriott weeks owners, we would only be able to trade to "non-Marriott owned" properties.
Since I had read this thread last month, I knew this was a hoax, so I just smiled and nodded and said "interesting". His goal was to upset us, and then provide the "solution" of buying trust points.
Salesperson claimed they used to have 60 sales people here. 12 are back. He claimed the 12 are selling as much as the 60 did prior to COVID.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to Las Vegas I am pretty bummed out that people think it is okay to flaunt their desires not to wear face masks. How much more evidence do people need? This kind of attitude is why I am not traveling to the properties I own. If people would only follow the guidelines this could have been over already.
But no, that would be too uncomfortable for these selfish people to do.

When did wearing a mask become so onerous??
51F34F4F-96C7-4A5D-A206-AED86919392E.jpeg