• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Villas - Week of 10/17/2020

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked in.
96% Occupancy.
Pool Capacity limited to 50%.
Once you’re in a room, they will not move you.
Housekeeping is suspended. There is a text service if you need anything.

Owner Update scheduled for tomorrow.
Offered $150 or 25K Bonvoy Points.

I’ll add more as the week progresses

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprised the occupancy is so high in light of the times we are currently living in.

Enjoy your visit there!

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
Just checked in.
96% Occupancy.

Would appreciate hearing about the owners update and how they do it.

We have a three day marketing promotion stay in January followed by a full week trade from interval. My husband is in the higher risk Covid category and is concerned about the owners update required as part of the promotion 3 day stay — curious if they are holding the updates indoors in sales offices, outdoors, or via web/zoom.

Thank you.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I am surprised the occupancy is so high in light of the times we are currently living in.

Enjoy your visit there!

Orange County is a different beast. It’s a lot more open than Los Angeles County. Restaurants are open, schools are open, businesses are open. I have not been to NCV, but I live close by. The Governor downgraded Orange County about a month or so ago because its COVID numbers had not increased so reopening began there. This was not the case for Los Angeles County.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Just checked in.
96% Occupancy.

By comparison we just returned from HGVC Elara in Vegas.

I overheard a salesman telling one of the prospects they were limiting occupancy to 40% (it was a salesmen, so who knows if that’s true)
No one said anything to us about limiting pool capacity, they didn’t count heads when you went in and you didn’t need a reservation.
Daily room service was “mandatory” and at an extra charge, but you could opt out, which we did.
We were offered a tour for a visa cash card but declined. They never said how much the cash card was worth, but we’ve found HGVC to be rather “cheap” with their offers to us in the past, so I never asked. In the 6 nights we were there they never attempted to get us to attended after the initial contact.

We have yet to stay at an MVC resort this year, which is very unusual for us. The only booking we have left is for our home resort of Ocean Pointe. It will be interesting to see the difference between MVC, HGVC, Nevada and Florida.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Would appreciate hearing about the owners update and how they do it.

We have a three day marketing promotion stay in January followed by a full week trade from interval. My husband is in the higher risk Covid category and is concerned about the owners update required as part of the promotion 3 day stay — curious if they are holding the updates indoors in sales offices, outdoors, or via web/zoom.

Thank you.

We did an owner update in August when we were at NCV. The sales rep gave us the choice of sitting in her office, which had a plexiglass divider, or sitting outside. They have a number of tables in the shade outside, so we opted for that. Even then, the sales rep wore a mask throughout the discussion. I am in a higher risk category as well, but felt very comfort with the arrangement.

Best regards.

Mike

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there in August and went of an owner update. We sat in an office with a glass barrier between us and the salesman. Tried to get us to buy more points but we did not go for it. Same offer as OP.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
We drove through Vegas on our way here. We thought it wouldn’t be too crowded in the strip it but it was the opposite. Felt like 75-80% full capacity. One place I wanted to go, Tacos el Gordo had a line out the door and around the corner. Took maybe 20 minutes to drive from one end of the strip to the other. Very little mask wearing.

We stayed the night at the JW in Summerlin and it was fairly crowded there as well.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Shocking that they have such high occupancy. This is promising for the vacation industry.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently sitting in the presentation. They say they are doing 50% of all MVC sales right now. Retail rate is 14.72. But they’re still offering the rollback pricing of 9.20 or close to it.

This guys working really hard. He stepped out for a moment so I’m typing this update.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
And done.
One new twist. Supposedly if you buy points now they waive maintenance fees till 2023 (2 years).

Sales guy was very frustrated. I pretty much took away all sales-related strategies he could have used. External weeks/points, bundles, Chairman pitch, price increases, ILG integration.

Was offered a bundle of 5075 points for about $35k. It was a combination of Shadow Ridge and 2000 points. I told him unless there’s a reason to go to Chairman, there’s no reason to buy regardless of how good the deal may be.

I asked if they could enroll my Maui weeks for $5000 each and he laughed. But he did ask.

Nothing really new learned other than MVC does about $150MM-$200MM in sales per month.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
And done.
One new twist. Supposedly if you buy points now they waive maintenance fees till 2023 (2 years).

Sales guy was very frustrated. I pretty much took away all sales-related strategies he could have used. External weeks/points, bundles, Chairman pitch, price increases, ILG integration.

Was offered a bundle of 5075 points for about $35k. It was a combination of Shadow Ridge and 2000 points. I told him unless there’s a reason to go to Chairman, there’s no reason to buy regardless of how good the deal may be.

I asked if they could enroll my Maui weeks for $5000 each and he laughed. But he did ask.

Nothing really new learned other than MVC does about $150MM-$200MM in sales per month.

When I bought MVC I was offered no MF until 2021. But I did not have points use until 2021. Did you have use of the points without paying the MF?

I am surprised MVC has sales of $150MM-$200MM during the covid period. I figure sales would be a lot lower than $5MM-$7MM a day during covid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Implied usage of points. He wrote out a chart that in year 1 I would have 2000 points plus the 4000 bonus points. Year 2 I would also have 2000 points and another 2000 points I’d if did. The 18 month financing and then of course year 3 I would have 2000 points usage.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
We drove through Vegas on our way here. We thought it wouldn’t be too crowded in the strip it but it was the opposite. Felt like 75-80% full capacity. One place I wanted to go, Tacos el Gordo had a line out the door and around the corner. Took maybe 20 minutes to drive from one end of the strip to the other. Very little mask wearing.

We stayed the night at the JW in Summerlin and it was fairly crowded there as well.

Steven, they always have a line. The food is okay, but in my opinion not worth that long a wait.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Clark County's percent positivity rate is nearing 9%.....that is shockingly high. So, the high occupancy rate, combined with low masking rate, might be good for the travel industry; maybe not so great for the people who are getting exposed and getting sick.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We were just in Vegas. The number of people either not wearing masks or wearing them improperly was disappointing. The weekend was pretty busy with people that weren’t what we’re accustomed to seeing. What I’ve since been told is the L.A. party crowd is showing up in Vegas on the weekends due to the lockdown in L.A.

BigMac

Reaction score
Just checked in.
96% Occupancy.

can you ask them 1) when will we be able to access Ventana properties using points 2) when will the Costa Rica property be ready and available for booking 3) Same question on the new Waikiki property ( not for a few years as they have major reconstruction ). The sales rep probably wont know this but it is worth an ask.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked 1 & 2 and no answer was provided. For 3, I didn’t remember to ask as that property isn’t high on my priority list.

I did ask about Cancun and Lagunamar and I believe he said he doesn’t thing that one will be available in the program. That it’s a management contract (aren’t they all?) only and we shouldn’t expect to see it.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to Las Vegas I am pretty bummed out that people think it is okay to flaunt their desires not to wear face masks. How much more evidence do people need? This kind of attitude is why I am not traveling to the properties I own. If people would only follow the guidelines this could have been over already.
But no, that would be too uncomfortable for these selfish people to do.

When did wearing a mask become so onerous??

DaveS99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Royal Palms
What a coincidence! I just checked into Marriott Newport Coast & attended a Timeshare presentation.
We own both a deeded week & VC points. We usually trade our week through Interval to go to other Marriott resorts. We traded our week for another Marriott week in Newport Coast, Frenchman's Cove in US Virgin Islands, multiple places in Hawaii, etc.
In today's presentation, we were shocked to discover that Marriott is pulling their timeshares out of Interval International and those of us that trade our weeks will not be able to trade to any Marriott property in Interval. We can trade into Joe's fleabag timeshare resort, but not to any Marriott. Our only option going forward is to only use our home resort in Florida or trade for points.
They claim that the "Marriott timeshare owners" want this option. To me they are not adding anything to the program, but they are taking away my option to trade to my timeshare with another Marriott resort - which was the original purpose of the timeshare progam.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
“In today's presentation, we were shocked to discover that Marriott is pulling their timeshares out of Interval International and those of us that trade our weeks will not be able to trade to any Marriott property in Interval.”

I can’t imagine that’s true.
A change that big would be all over the news and certainly all over tugbbs.
I would encourage you to call back for clarification.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What a coincidence! I just checked into Marriott Newport Coast & attended a Timeshare presentation.
We own both a deeded week & VC points. We usually trade our week through Interval to go to other Marriott resorts. We traded our week for another Marriott week in Newport Coast, Frenchman's Cove in US Virgin Islands, multiple places in Hawaii, etc.
In today's presentation, we were shocked to discover that Marriott is pulling their timeshares out of Interval International and those of us that trade our weeks will not be able to trade to any Marriott property in Interval. We can trade into Joe's fleabag timeshare resort, but not to any Marriott. Our only option going forward is to only use our home resort in Florida or trade for points.
They claim that the "Marriott timeshare owners" want this option. To me they are not adding anything to the program, but they are taking away my option to trade to my timeshare with another Marriott resort - which was the original purpose of the timeshare progam.
It's my decision where to trade my week, not MVC's. I suppose II could stop taking Marriott weeks if they want to go bankrupt fast. This would simply lead to other trading companies picking up the slack.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

I can only say that I believe you misunderstood what the salesman was saying. Did the salesman say there would be another trading option or when this “pulling out “ would occur. With Marriott owning Interval International, this would not make any sense at all.

I believe that you were probably told this because you shared the trades you were getting and thus there would be no incentive for you to buy any additional points. You would have received documentation of such a move and then some alternative for trades would be communicated. My Diamond Resorts timeshare did just that. They pulled out of Interval International and were ready to allow members into their own exchange program. I believe other timeshare companies will eventually move from Interval International so that their owners are not lining Marriott’s pockets, but they will create avenues in which exchanges can be done to their benefit.

I just hate when the salesmen blatantly lie like that.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
VAC owns both II and MVC. Why on earth would they want to pull MVC? That would just mean less revenue and profit for II.