• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Villa's-things to do

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed going to Santa Monica Pier and walking the 3rd street promenade.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As for traffic.......if you are from an area that has traffic such as New York metro, DC, Bay Area, etc. the traffic will seem bad, but not crazy. If you are from an area without traffic it will be overwhelming. One poster said Sunday mornings are fairly benign. That's a reasonable thought. Just remember that many folks in California work on East Coast time so rush hour literally starts at about 5:30 and goes to late morning. Starts early in the afternoon and goes until dark. The other part that people don't realize about LA is that there are 13 million people in the Los Angeles metro area. That's a LOT of people. You can't measure distance and time the same way as normal. It may be a three mile drive to something, but it could easily take 30 minutes. Many streets are 25/35 miles per hour with traffic lights every quarter/half mile. That's just the way it is there. Be prepared for trips to take way longer than you want them to take.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
A side bar I know but I'm pretty sure that with Google now owning WAZE, their ETA is more real time and does account for traffic though they don't publish how they arrive at the information from what I've seen. They also now apparently anticipate traffic somewhat. But certainly you never know so a warning to give extra time is certainly good advice.
In real time they may provide a better estimate of time. But I'm talking about the times you just want to know how far one place is from another. It will give you that, and the estimated time it will take to drive it.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with another poster who said the day trip to Catalina is too time consuming for a short stay. I'm an owner there and have done most everything there is to do. Nearby favorites include breakfast on Balboa, riding the car ferry, and return by that route. Also, we always visit the Cliffside walk which runs in front of Montage resort in Laguna. (I keep threatening to bring a picnic lunch of Subway sandwiches to enjoy in full view of the crowd that can afford to stay there.) There is a beach there accessible by stairs.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
In real time they may provide a better estimate of time. But I'm talking about the times you just want to know how far one place is from another. It will give you that, and the estimated time it will take to drive it.

You can also choose when you want to depart or arrive and it will adjust your eta for anticipated traffic. Once you leave, if you are using Google Maps or Waze, you will be redirected around traffic in real time in the event of something unanticipated like an accident.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You can also choose when you want to depart or arrive and it will adjust your eta for anticipated traffic. Once you leave, if you are using Google Maps or Waze, you will be redirected around traffic in real time in the event of something unanticipated like an accident.
Yes, all that is very nice. But many times all I want to know is how far it is from one location to the other and the approximate time since I have NO idea when I will depart or arrive.

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
I've been to Catalina in February. There's not much going on there, except for the main street with bars, restaurants and souvenir shops. The boat ride is fun, but I wouldn't waste a whole day during a short visit to OC with a trip to Catalina. If you want a boat experience rent a Duffy or go on one of the whale watching trips from Balboa Peninsula. Watch for discounts on Groupon or elsewhere online.

I've been going to NCV for a number of years and, each year, notice an increase in traffic in the area. We are beginning to feel "trapped" by the traffic and increasingly reluctant to make plans outside of the immediate area. Starting to think about selling...

@Bill4728 I used to park by the 1000 building (where the new pool is) and walk down the small hill to Newport Coast Drive to get to Crystal Cove. I was at NCV in December and noticed that there is a now a fence that runs from the 1000 building to the property's main entrance which blocks this shortcut. Is there a way to access the fire road from the 1000 area?

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
We always walk down the small hill to Newport Coast Drive to get to Crystal Cove using the fire road at the bottom of the resort.

Between the 1400 and 1200 bldg there is easy access to the fire road and also between the pool and the 1200 bldg is a set of stairs which also access the fire road. This is the best way to get from the resort to the main road.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Yes, all that is very nice. But many times all I want to know is how far it is from one location to the other and the approximate time since I have NO idea when I will depart or arrive.
Well obviously the time to get somewhere depends on when you go. Maps would have to know the time of travel to give a reasonable estimate. Otherwise, it's like asking what the likely temperature will be in NYC, but you don't know what month you'll be there.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the "fire road at the bottom of the resort?" We walked that way this morning, entered the fire road next to the 2000 building, but it took us a green belt, where we could see the golf course on the other side of the fence, but it did not seem to have a way down to the beach. Did we miss it?

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been down it as late as summer 2019. Took us right in the road to the beach. I wonder if the blocked it off like they did the path near building 1000. Hope not.

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
@HudsHut I remember entering the pool area near the 1000 building, walk away from the pool so the 3 or 4 firepits with benches are on your right. You will see a gate door just past the firepits. Go through the door, turn right and you will find Newport Coast Drive at the end of the road. Turn left on to Newport Coast Drive. The entrance to Crystal Cove will be at the end of Newport Coast Drive. If I have a large group of people, I drive to Crystal Cove and pay the $15 parking fee to support the California Parks system.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You were able to stay there? What is open nearby?

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are pretty much open for business (with distancing) in Orange County these days with some exceptions, including large venues like Disneyland, large churches etc. We drove through the Villas a few weeks ago on our way home from Crystal Cove (before things had opened up), and we were really surprised at how many people were at the resort. But if you are so inclined, you can go to the beach, restaurants, Fashion Island, theaters, etc.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We just booked an end of May stay at this resort and are wondering if 3 or 4 days would be enough to see the area. We realize swimming without a wet suit is not an option (we are Hilton Head owners), but are looking for some advice on our May trip.

Is it easy to walk from the the Resort to the beach? Looking at google maps, I can see a park next to/below the resort. Can you access those trails from the Resort?

We like to walk the beach and wondering if we have to drive to that or not.

Balboa Island seems like a must see.

We also have access to a boat in Huntingon Harbor. Would a cruise in that Harbor be fun?

Day trip to Catalina Island via the Ferry?

Appreciate any input people that have been there could provide.

Thanks

Dave
Catalina Flyer leaves from Balboa Island to Catalina Daily

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many restaurants are open. Many shops at Fashion Island are open. The shopping center where Trader Joe's is had lots of restaurants open, with both inside and outside seating.
At the resort, main pool and pool by 1100 building is open. The game rooms, fire pits, and movie theatre are not open. The pool bar opened last Monday. The little store is open.
None of the buildings at the top of the hill (4900, 5000, etc) are open and the Ultimo pool is not open. Tennis courts are open with own equipment. Ping Pong open with own equipment. Basketball and Volleyball are open. Based upon the cars we see parked, it looks like the resort is busy, but it's probably 1/2 the normal summer occupancy.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@HudsHut I remember entering the pool area near the 1000 building, walk away from the pool so the 3 or 4 firepits with benches are on your right. You will see a gate door just past the firepits. Go through the door, turn right and you will find Newport Coast Drive at the end of the road. Turn left on to Newport Coast Drive. The entrance to Crystal Cove will be at the end of Newport Coast Drive. If I have a large group of people, I drive to Crystal Cove and pay the $15 parking fee to support the California Parks system.
Thank you. We later noticed the fire road entrance from the Newport Coast Drive side. We looked at that pool for the first time early in the week, but didn't notice the fire pits there. I noticed they had two portable water slides that I had never read about. They were not open. They are next to the pool, but they do not empty into the pool. The slides may have been there a long time, but it's been several years since we visited Newport Coast.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Later on Saturday, we did park by the 1100 building, then walked along the path just outside the water slides (they were operating that day), and found the stairs to go to down. The top of the stairs was not blocked, but the bottom had a chain, and a dangling sign that said "Fire Dept Access Only". From there, it was just a few steps to Newport Coast Drive and the signal to cross the street to the beach.
We bought poke to go from Bear Flag Fish Company in the Crystal Cove Shopping Center. It was delicious.

Mlvnsmly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Oceana Palms, Asia Pacific Points
Thank you. We later noticed the fire road entrance from the Newport Coast Drive side. We looked at that pool for the first time early in the week, but didn't notice the fire pits there. I noticed they had two portable water slides that I had never read about. They were not open. They are next to the pool, but they do not empty into the pool. The slides may have been there a long time, but it's been several years since we visited Newport Coast.
What's a portable waterslide?

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This whole pool has been revamped in the last year. It was a rather "unknown" gem where we have stayed every year for at least the past 15. I am sure it will now become the "place to be" due to the slides and reconfiguration of the area. The access to Newport Drive can't be beat though, and we may still partake of the units, despite the certain uptick in volume!

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Arriving Newport next weekend. Any suggestions for outdoor dining options?

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Arriving Newport next weekend. Any suggestions for outdoor dining options?
We’re here now. Beachcomber was great for both breakfast and dinner, they have additional seating on the sand north of the deck with plenty of spacing- I preferred that to the deck. Breakfast at Shake shack for another walk-to meal. Taco Tuesday at bear flag by Trader Joe’s. Deck in Laguna Beach for ocean view seafood etc. Gina’s pizza and Avila’s El Ranchito had great takeout for our large group to eat at the resort. We won’t do indoor seating at a restaurant so all these places worked well for us.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Drive south to Dana Point Harbor. Some very scenic outdoor dining options. On Balboa Island, I like Wilma's Patio. Lots of great options on Balboa Penninsula

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
If anyone wants to consider a trip to Catalina:
You might want to first check what's open and what's closed on Catalina.