• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Coast Villa's-things to do

Dsprings

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just booked an end of May stay at this resort and are wondering if 3 or 4 days would be enough to see the area. We realize swimming without a wet suit is not an option (we are Hilton Head owners), but are looking for some advice on our May trip.

Is it easy to walk from the the Resort to the beach? Looking at google maps, I can see a park next to/below the resort. Can you access those trails from the Resort?

We like to walk the beach and wondering if we have to drive to that or not.

Balboa Island seems like a must see.

We also have access to a boat in Huntingon Harbor. Would a cruise in that Harbor be fun?

Day trip to Catalina Island via the Ferry?

Appreciate any input people that have been there could provide.

Thanks

Dave

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just booked an end of May stay at this resort and are wondering if 3 or 4 days would be enough to see the area. We realize swimming without a wet suit is not an option (we are Hilton Head owners), but are looking for some advice on our May trip.

Is it easy to walk from the the Resort to the beach? Looking at google maps, I can see a park next to/below the resort. Can you access those trails from the Resort?

We also have access to a boat in Huntingon Harbor. Would a cruise in that Harbor be fun?

Thanks

Dave

As far as walking to the beach, there is a shuttle to take you there. It's a fair distance, and all down (or up) hill. I would take the free shuttle.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Dave
Swimming is usually fine May through November if the sun is out.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Swimming is usually fine May through November if the sun is out.
Sure, if you don't mind cold water. ;) Water temps in the summer are somewhere in the 60's.

I grew up in southern California and even lived on Balboa Island for awhile while attending UCI. As a kid, and even as a teen I'd swim in the ocean during the summer. But after my first trip to Hawaii I got spoiled.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Yes, there are hiking trails throughout the area so I would ask.
Check out Laguna Beach and it’s art galleries. There’s nice beach town eateries and tacos. Love the beach at the Montage as well as the view from its bar. Go further up you will hit the other resorts such as the Ritz in Dana Point.
Love the area and hope to one day own there when I win the lottery.lol

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Thanks

Dave

We love this resort and the area. So much so that we bought a resale unit last year.

We like to walk so we do walk down the hill, cross Highway 1(there are crosswalks at the light), and onto the trails. You also have to walk down a fairly steep road/path to get down to the beach. As others have mentioned, you can also take a shuttle to it. Either way, it is doable.

Balboa Island is a fun trip, but I would also drive or take the shuttle to Laguna Beach. There is a nice beach, lots of shops and restaurants to see there too. A restaurant we enjoy is The Cliff in Laguna Beach. We sit outside and enjoy the view of the ocean and beach. I would also recommend the Shake Shack, which is a little shack along Highway 1 just south of the resort. You sit outside and enjoy the view of the coast.

A day trip to Catalina by ferry is also possible. The easiest way to get there is catch the ferry from Dana Point, which is about 30 minutes south of the resort.

Enjoy your trip.

Best regards.

Mike

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Sure, if you don't mind cold water. ;) Water temps in the summer are somewhere in the 60's.

I grew up in southern California and even lived on Balboa Island for awhile while attending UCI. As a kid, and even as a teen I'd swim in the ocean during the summer. But after my first trip to Hawaii I got spoiled.
We were at Newport Coast last week. The water temp at beaches near Newport Coast is currently 60.1 degrees. Definitely wetsuit temp.

In May it will be about mid 60s, by end of summer it will be in the low 70s.

(My wife also lived on Balboa and the peninsula as an anteater!)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

Thanks

Dave
One thing others did not touch on is that May and June tend to be somewhat overcast with a marine layer. Locals refer to it as May Gray and June Gloom. It may be sunny for part of the day though.

I'd recommend making a reservation at the Beach comber restaurant at Crystal Cove State Park. The Marriott shuttle will take you down there and bring you back. You can make the res on-line. It may save you an hour or so wait if you just show up. The restaurant has a 180 degree view of the ocean.

There is a boutique winery inland from Laguna Beach. Google it. Surprisingly, their wine was very good. Prices were reasonable.

We often drive to Huntington Beach and eat at Dukes. Nice view plus you can walk out to the end of the pier next door before/after eating.

I found the La Brea tar pit museum interesting.

If you like hiking you can walk along the beach at Crystal Cove. You can walk down or take the shuttle down/up. I like to walk down, hike, get a cold beer at the Beach Comber and take the shuttle back. Shuttles run on the hour.

With only 3 or 4 days, I don't think that I'd go to Catalina. The boat from Balboa takes off pretty early in the morning. It will take up most of the day. When I'm on vacation, it prefer to sleep in rather than setting a clock.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave..we vacationed at NCV in late October 2019...we took the Catalina flyer out to Beautiful Santa Catalina Island...weather was sunny and in the 70s..we rented a golf cart for a few hours and toured the Island..the views from the top of the island are stunning..many. Good restaurants too...great way to spend a day

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. If you are a Hilton Head owner-- just know walking the beach is different on the west coast. It's not miles and miles of sand. There will be sand, rocks and obstacles. Interesting-- because it's different.
2. We also found Berea tar pits very interesting.
3. Watching groupon for coupons for duffy boat rentals near Balboa. These are small electric boats that go "s-l-o-w" ... typically you rent for a couple of hours or half day. Some have an awning and have tables. You may want to pack a picnic to take on the boat. We've done this a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The duffy boat looks like a toy beside some of the big yachts!!! Also recommend looking for a groupon for segway tour of the area. The segway tour took us in areas we never would have known about-- including the miniature mushroom houses.
4. If you're arriving from the airport, the GPS will take you on a toll road. The exit for the Newport Coast Villas has a toll machine (no human) and you need coins. Many travelers don't carry coins. You may want to consider getting off at MacArthur Blvd to avoid the toll if you don't have coins. Or set your GPS to "avoid tolls."
Also-- since you've never been before. No matter what you've heard about traffic, it was an understatement! It will take much much longer to drive anywhere than what your estimated travel time tells you on your phone. ;-)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
2. We also found Berea tar pits very interesting.
Several people have mentioned La Brea Tar Pits. Just be aware, it's NOT close. It's in Los Angeles and without traffic will take an hour to get there. Since I grew up close by I had been many times as a kid and never figured out why people would want to go there. It has changed a lot since then, there is a nice little museum. Dh really wanted to see it when we took a coastal vacation one year so we went when we were staying in Beverly Hills.

Just put it this way, personally I wouldn't drive an hour each way (and again that is without traffic). If there are other things you want to see up in that area, then fine, go for it.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with Luanne. I was responding to an earlier mention. I would not drive just for the tar pits... but I would make it one of my stops if I was visiting other attractions in that area.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with Luanne. I was responding to an earlier mention. I would not drive just for the tar pits... but I would make it one of my stops if I was visiting other attractions in that area.
My family did the La Brea tar pits on the way to a Dodger game....But traffic can make it a two hour drive from NCV.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
San Diego Zoo, Hollywood/Rodeo Drive/Stars' Walk of Fame, Stars' Tour of Homes,
Disney Land, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach theater.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Getty museum is worth the drive, but go on Sunday morning. Then go to the tar pits. We only do this early on a Sunday morning and get there in half the time it would take any other day.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
San Diego Zoo, Hollywood/Rodeo Drive/Stars' Walk of Fame, Stars' Tour of Homes

Be sure to check the drive time on Google maps or something similar. These are quite a distance in traffic.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
4. If you're arriving from the airport, the GPS will take you on a toll road. The exit for the Newport Coast Villas has a toll machine (no human) and you need coins. Many travelers don't carry coins. You may want to consider getting off at MacArthur Blvd to avoid the toll if you don't have coins. Or set your GPS to "avoid tolls."
Also-- since you've never been before. No matter what you've heard about traffic, it was an understatement! It will take much much longer to drive anywhere than what your estimated travel time tells you on your phone. ;-)

No more coin machines, all tolls paid online or at their office in Irvine.

If you have a Fasttrack transponder it works. I have the new Fasttrack sticker chip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
All advice so far is really good. NCV isn't really a beach resort, but more a resort near the ocean. Don't confuse the two. That said, it is a great location to explore Orange County. I'd suggest looking at some historic missions also. Very interesting history and architecture. Balboa Island is great and so is the Peninsula. It's a pretty far drive, but not unreasonable to San Diego, just make sure you have some plans that take up a day. It's also not a bad trip to Disneyland, but watch traffic. Laguna is awesome and there are some great festivals. Dana Point is beautiful and there are some good restaurants on the water. I don't recommend it as an outpost to explore LA. It's just too far given traffic. If you get a good unit, it's a great place to have a glass of wine or other beverage and look at the Pacific Ocean from your room. The way that they landscaped it, you may even think you are in Italy or Greece.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several people have mentioned La Brea Tar Pits. Just be aware, it's NOT close. It's in Los Angeles and without traffic will take an hour to get there. Since I grew up close by I had been many times as a kid and never figured out why people would want to go there. It has changed a lot since then, there is a nice little museum. Dh really wanted to see it when we took a coastal vacation one year so we went when we were staying in Beverly Hills.

Just put it this way, personally I wouldn't drive an hour each way (and again that is without traffic). If there are other things you want to see up in that area, then fine, go for it.

And exactly when is it "without traffic?" I've always been astounded at the amount of traffic at the most unlikely times, much less during during rush hour.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Newport is not a beach property, it's beautiful, and the views are spectacular, but the ocean is down the hill and across the highway. Also that time of year is mild temperatures and overcast skies, but the sun should come out for some part of the day. Beachcomber is a must, you can walk or take the shuttle. Lots of little beach towns up and down Hwy 1. Any trip should be planned around traffic, commuters during the week, and beach traffic on the weekend. There are also toll roads in the area for which you will need a transponder or alternate route.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
And exactly when is it "without traffic?" I've always been astounded at the amount of traffic at the most unlikely times, much less during during rush hour.
I haven't lived in southern California for many years, but it used to be that the commute into Los Angeles wasn't bad on the weekends. My comment was just to warn anyone relying on Google Maps for time estimates to know that those estimates are given under best circumstances.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We love NCV and just got back from a week there.

1. We go for a walk on the beach every day. What a great way to start the day. We walk thru the resort to the fire road at the bottom of the resort and across the highway to the state park. Yes you can shuttle to the park but the only time we think of doing that is when we eat at the Beachcomber.

2. We seldom drive into LA We'll drive up to the Disney area and along the coast to Long Beach in one direction and San Clemente in the other direction. BUT we spend most of our time in either the Balboa area (both the island and peninsula) or Laguna.

3. Spending any time on the water (like the balboa harbor) sounds great.

4. Taking the ferry over to Catalina is something to do but is an all day thing and with as few as 4 days I'd suggest it for a longer trip.

5. do things in LA ( like the Getty, Griffith Park or Universal) are all worth while but weekday traffic is a problem we generally avoid.

Have a great time!!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Some other things to do on site:

My wife enjoys the massage/spa.
We both like to grill out. (I grill out, she stays in the unit and makes the salad.
If it is clear, we look for the "green flash". Yes, it is real, but rarely seen. If we have a good "shot" at the sunset from the lanai, we sit there. Otherwise we go to the main pool.
We enjoy some of the on-site activities. Sadly, NCV charges for more activities than they should and they charge a little too much. Unlike my home resort (Desert Springs) which I deposited to make the exchange.
There is an activities meeting. They have a raffle and you might win something useful.
IIRC, there is a social event with free wine and crackers/cheese. It is fun to chat with other timeshare owners.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't lived in southern California for many years, but it used to be that the commute into Los Angeles wasn't bad on the weekends. My comment was just to warn anyone relying on Google Maps for time estimates to know that those estimates are given under best circumstances.
A side bar I know but I'm pretty sure that with Google now owning WAZE, their ETA is more real time and does account for traffic though they don't publish how they arrive at the information from what I've seen. They also now apparently anticipate traffic somewhat. But certainly you never know so a warning to give extra time is certainly good advice.