• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newly Purchased Westin Flex

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes, you are right. You cannot borrow into off years, but you can bank.

Still, buying Maui EOY may not be a good idea because:

1. You would lose you deeded view in off years
2. You will only get a studio in off years
3. You will only be able to book at 8 months in off years
4. You pay ~$150 VSN fee every year
5. You have to pay banking fee and keep track of deadlines

Much more cost effective to buy an annual 81,000 trader.

Probably true for IV and off season - I haven't run the numbers on this scenario. We own OF and want the guaranteed view in at least one of the years. This is not a primary use of our EOY (we have never done this) but it is nice to have as an option because the future is hard to predict. More likely we would rent out or use the second locked off week in the home year.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Studio (no longer owned)
Westin Flex (currently own)
Okay so there is No question then
1. Get rid of the Westin Flex

I am better off with what I have now
67,100 Nanea

Looking into the future. Whatever I buy into resale. I will have to Offload my 67,100 Nanea?

I realize it's my option to keep. I have no intention of keeping more than 1 timeshare. I only wanted 1

That's partly what lured me into this sales transaction. I was able to get rid of my Nanea 67,100, have 8 home resorts, and have 105,000

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Rescind if you can. You can get that deal for $4k.

@Grammarhero - I agree with the rewinding 100% but please don't give the OP bad advice. The listings you've posted are for Sheraton Flex - not Westin Flex. Completely different animal.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Okay so there is No question then
1. Get rid of the Westin Flex

I am better off with what I have now
67,100 Nanea

Looking into the future. Whatever I buy into resale. I will have to Offload my 67,100 Nanea?

I realize it's my option to keep. I have no intention of keeping more than 1 timeshare. I only wanted 1

That's partly what lured me into this sales transaction. I was able to get rid of my Nanea 67,100, have 8 home resorts, and have 105,000

You always have the option to keep. It depends how many points you need and how much maintenance fee you want to pay every year.

How many points do you need to stay in a 1 bedroom? Would 81,000 suffice? If so you could spend $1 - 2k for a Bella or Key West in Florida and sell your Westin Flex for a MF of about $1500. If you want Hawaii as a home base then you should to look at 2 bdrm options for best bang for the buck. Or you can buy a 1 bdrm in Hawaii but the MF is about $2k - $2.4k

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok before this goes further astray
Can I ...May I ask you Timeshare Veterans

Keep Westin Flex or keep what I have
Nanea 67,100

*Not talking about purchasing other timeshare options at this time.

I would like to know if the Westin Flex is a crap product compared to
Nanea 67,100

Thankyou in advance

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Set aside from Overpaying.

The Westin Flex... is it a bad packaged product?

First of all - rescind this purchase. You can do ALOT better.

Second, Westin Flex itself isn't a bad product if you have a specific use case for it. It is relatively expensive, but you get additional flexibility and access to some of the high demand resorts in Hawaii during peak season.

I just recently did purchase a very small 67,100 EOY WF package two months ago for less than what you paid; however, we did this to add on 3-4 days to our WKORV-N Oceanfront EOY week (7 days was just too short for us in Hawaii and I didn't want to buy another full week and worry about renting out the orphan days). As part of the deal Vistana also did a retro with my SDO 2BR plat week at the same time so we also get an additional 148,100 SO's EOY (wish I had bought an annual platinum unit!) which is enough for a 2BR week in Maui or Lagunamar with maintenance fees equivalent to less than $1200.

Since you already have Nanea and want to stay on Maui I would keep your 67,100 Nanea package. I would then buy at WKORV or WKORV-N (pros and cons to both - do some research). You could then use your Nanea points to extend your stay on Maui (would get you 3-4 nights in a 2BR).

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
good info but overwhelming.

job 1: rescind!

job 2: take time to figure out next step

Sent from my SM-J327W using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Don't keep developer Westin Flex! Rescind. You will then keep your Nanea 67,100 points.

After that, you can buy an additional timeshare to supplement your 5 nights in 1br.

Your Nanea 67,100 points has very little resale value, if any. So you might as well keep it to get your 5 nights in 1br. Then use 81,000 cheap trader to add another 7 nights.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If you only want one timeshare, then:

1. Rescind Westin Flex, get your $14k back
2. Sell or give away Nanea, you will not get much if anything
3. Buy 81,000 SVV for $1k-$2k

Your annual fees will be about $1,300 and will get you 7 nights in 1br in Maui every year.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@Grammarhero - I agree with the rewinding 100% but please don't give the OP bad advice. The listings you've posted are for Sheraton Flex - not Westin Flex. Completely different animal.
My mistake. I thought they were the same companies. I’m learning more about Ts every day.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok before this goes further astray
Can I ...May I ask you Timeshare Veterans

Keep Westin Flex or keep what I have
Nanea 67,100

*Not talking about purchasing other timeshare options at this time.

I would like to know if the Westin Flex is a crap product compared to
Nanea 67,100

Keep your Nanea week and rescind the Westin Flex purchase. You can always get the same deal later or pretty close to it if you decide Westin Flex is what you really want (they will be happy to sell it to you - you can even do it over the phone!)

The Westin Flex isn't a crap product and would do what you are wanting it to do - you just paid too much and there are better options! Give yourself some space and breathing room after you've rescinded and the dust has settled. Timeshares are a wonderful way to vacation, the trick is finding the right match for you.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My mistake. I thought they were the same companies. I’m learning more about Ts every day.

No problem - I'm trying to dig through the Marriott system and HGVC systems at present - this stuff is mind-boggling!

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Ooooooh maaaaan

Slow learner. Still trying to comprehend

Set aside from overpaying
Westin Flex sucks?
I am better keeping my 67,100 Nanea ?

Everyone is telling you to RESCIND and they are right! You WILL save 10 k plus getting MORE POINTS and BETTER exchanges buying RESALE. Hey, google timeshares for sale ebay and you will be shocked.

Hey...if it makes you feel better, RESCIND today, save 10 k plus on resale then SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE with everyone here. That way you can feel good spending 14 k as you are just flushing it down the toilet keeping it.

Just kidding...

RESCIND. DO IT TODAY. TIME IS VERY LIMITED.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I have read (I think) most of the posts on Westin Flex. Some say it's recycled properties under a new name.
No inventory
Your original purchase of at a stand alone location is worth alot more than the Westin Flex

We bought into Nanea - 67,100
We love Maui compared to others. I never thought I would upgrade.
When presented this offer of 8 Home Resorts and bumping our points up. I thought it would be a great idea to do so for us. We have 2 year old.
We dont vacation as much as some of you veterans do.

For us this forces us to take at least 1 vacation a year. We dont have a big extended family. It's just the 3 of us pretty much. I thought this would be a perfect fit.

I have searched Westin Kaanapali North and Nanea per night stays out-of-pocket

This just made sense.
I looked on this website forum for all the feedback.

I have read alot of Sheraton Flex negativity. Well here I am in the Westin Flex.

Westin Flex was indeed born by VSE packaging up unsold low demand inventory and buy-backs from folks “trading in.” There are no new Westin resorts so VSE had to come up with “something new.” Right now the sales people will say anything they can to get a week to trade in. I’ve seen folks PAYING to essentially downgrade. There are no new resorts, other than it sounds like some Nanea weeks were just added. The maintenance fees for a week of points in Flex are much higher than for the same week time at one of the underlying resorts. Your best bet is to buy a resale week at a mandatory resort you like and plan to travel to, your “home base.” Then you can use the Staroptions at 8 months at any other resort in the system.

With the new merger with Marriott and uncertainty of what the future holds, I’d hold off on doing anything until we have more clarity. I’d hate to buy something now, only to be left out of any Marriott integration later, if it even happens.

Last edited:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Another option, if you wish to keep Nanea, is to buy a SVV (Bella or Key West phase) 1 bedroom Plat unit (44000 SOs). You would be able to book up to 9 nights in Maui. The 2 bedroom SVV unit recommended by others also works, if you want a longer stay in Maui. Or perhaps add in a few day trip to Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage, since you live fairly close by. The mf on the one bedroom would lessen your annual cost.

But, as everyone has said, rescind first. Then figure out how many SOs you want.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thankyou for the replies

Sounds like I am better off just keeping my Nanea 67,100

My salesperson made it seem like everyone was dumping the
Nanea 67,100 and jumping into Flex.

I am looking all over the place and can't find the answer. Do you any of you know the answer to this

My Nanea 67,100
Is that a VOLUNTARY setup like the Flex??

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I am looking all over the place and can't find the answer. Do you any of you know the answer to this

My Nanea 67,100

Yes, Nanea is Voluntary.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Actually, I would consider the third R to be rent and the fourth to be resale. Rent before you jump in and own.

I see... except renting could be considered part of Research.
Renting can be great, especially if it can be done for MFs (or less).

OP determined they wanted Westin Maui, and already owns with desire to increase their amount of SOs.

I have friends that choose to rent from Owners (Tuggers), and works for them. No need to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thankyou for the replies

Sounds like I am better off just keeping my Nanea 67,100

My salesperson made it seem like everyone was dumping the
Nanea 67,100 and jumping into Flex.

My Nanea 67,100

Catching up. I haven’t read everything, and assume a variety of ideas have been put out there. e.g. EOY with banking.

So... looking for 1Bd (81K SO per week) at WKORV/N/Nanea for 7-14 days - relatively unrestricted for timing. And already have 67.1K HOs for Nanea.

VSE should have never sold <81K HOs for Nanea in first place. But, that is the past...

7-14 days in a 1Bd is going to be 81K to 162K SOs.

One idea would be to buy the small 1Bd side at WKV (Plat+) worth 67.1K SOs - that would give you 134.2K SOs.

Or 11-12 days in a 1Bd using SOs at 8-months out (best to be exactly at 8 months for availability). That may cost $4-5K with low MFs. (~$600 per year) - or around there.

Plus WKV is a great resort (drivable from CA), and has good rentability.

Buying WKORV/N resale may be harder for your needs except if you buy a 1Bd at WKORV. The downside is that the MF/SO for the 1Bd WKORV is poor, but not unreasonable. That will give you availability at 12 months.
Also - can rent.

Or buy Plat season at SVV (Mandatory) and SO exchange at 8 months - others can help here.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catching up. I haven’t read everything, and assume a variety of ideas have been put out there. e.g. EOY with banking.

So... looking for 1Bd (81K SO per week) at WKORV/N/Nanea for 7-14 days - relatively unrestricted for timing. And already have 67.1K HOs for Nanea.

VSE should have never sold <81K HOs for Nanea in first place. But, that is the past...

7-14 days in a 1Bd is going to be 81K to 162K SOs.

One idea would be to buy the small 1Bd side at WKV (Plat+) worth 67.1K SOs - that would give you 134.2K SOs.

Or 11-12 days in a 1Bd using SOs at 8-months out (best to be exactly at 8 months for availability). That may cost $4-5K with low MFs. (~$600 per year) - or around there.

Plus WKV is a great resort (drivable from CA), and has good rentability.

Buying WKORV/N resale may be harder for your needs except if you buy a 1Bd at WKORV. The downside is that the MF/SO for the 1Bd WKORV is poor, but not unreasonable. That will give you availability at 12 months.
Also - can rent.

Or buy Plat season at SVV (Mandatory) and SO exchange at 8 months - others can help here.

Thankyou for the reply
Alot of useful info
After spending some considerable time on this website. I have a headache
I have a little more knowledge thanks to all of you
Nanea 67k is voluntary
Flex 105k is voluntary

Buying into a hawaii based timeshare 1bedroom I will see MF around 2k

By recommendation the key is to buy a homebase elsewhere with low MF then getting into Hawaii utilizing SO

My Nanea 67k was a mistake and a wash. Getting into this Flex. Yes cost me 14k for the 105k and 8 home resorts for home option. MF went from $1200- $1987

I do not plan on a resale. I dont plan on Expanding my timeshare portfolio.
1 is enough and plenty for us.
I realize I can get the same timeshare for a whole lot cheaper- if anything I can get myself a Mandatory timeshare. So there we have it.

I thank all of you for your replies and insight. Goodnight

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There is a lot to learn here, but you did get the best lesson: don’t buy a luxury item without proper research.

iirc - you (almost) paid $14K for 38K more FOs (SOs) with ~$600 more in MFs.

As you have found out - $14K can go a lot further in the TS world when buying a well-researched resale.

Don’t let this overwhelm you - one step at a time. Rescind.
Then decide the best move - if at all.

Good luck.