• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newly Purchased Westin Flex

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Studio (no longer owned)
Westin Flex (currently own)
Yes. You pretty much paid $14k for a new car, which one week later would be worth $4k as an “used car.”
That bites. So the key is Never buy from these sales agents and the way to go is buy resale?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
That bites. So the key is Never buy from these sales agents and the way to go is buy resale?

Yes. Don’t fret. Half of all tuggers bought retail or developer. You live and learn. Don’t compound your past mistakes.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
So it was that bad of a transaction?
Eeeek
We are newbies at Timeshares.

Don't feel bad. At least you caught this in time to act. The majority of us here at TUG bought our first property developer and hadn't found TUG within the rescission period. We later discovered resale was a much better deal. Biggest item is to research before you buy. The Westins in Hawaii are fantastic but there are many ways to own and stay there that are more economical than buying developer.

The 3 Rs of Timeshares:

Rescind
Research
Resale

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
BTW...Welcome to TUG @RC51Tofuman. Go get your rescind paperwork sent (make sure all buyers sign the rescission), then come back and we can help you find a better deal to get what you want.

FYI...I own resale oceanfront 2 bdrm in WKORV North and paid $12k for an EOY. That's less than the $14k you are shelling out for an IV unit at Nanea. You can get a 2 bdrm (which can be locked off into 2 weeks stay) at WKORV North which don't have the noise and smells from the poo poo plant that Nanea has for about $4 - 7k resale. Plus, rather than 8 resorts, we get 176,000 staroptions to spend at ANY Vistana resort.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't feel bad. At least you caught this in time to act. The majority of us here at TUG bought our first property developer and hadn't found TUG within the rescission period. We later discovered resale was a much better deal. Biggest item is to research before you buy. The Westins in Hawaii are fantastic but there are many ways to own and stay there that are more economical than buying developer.

The 3 Rs of Timeshares:

Rescind
Research
Resale

I heard some folks also add “Rent” as a fourth R. But with the occasion scam from a hacked TUG account, wonder if “Rent” would be the fourth “R.”

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The 3 Rs of Timeshares:

Rescind
Research
Resale
I have read (I think) most of the posts on Westin Flex. Some say it's recycled properties under a new name.
No inventory
Your original purchase of at a stand alone location is worth alot more than the Westin Flex

We bought into Nanea - 67,100
We love Maui compared to others. I never thought I would upgrade.
When presented this offer of 8 Home Resorts and bumping our points up. I thought it would be a great idea to do so for us. We have 2 year old.
We dont vacation as much as some of you veterans do.

For us this forces us to take at least 1 vacation a year. We dont have a big extended family. It's just the 3 of us pretty much. I thought this would be a perfect fit.

I have searched Westin Kaanapali North and Nanea per night stays out-of-pocket

This just made sense.
I looked on this website forum for all the feedback.

I have read alot of Sheraton Flex negativity. Well here I am in the Westin Flex.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sorry I suck at this.
Yes we Originally had the 67,100 Nanea

No worries. Often 1st time posters do not follow up (for a variety of reasons I imagine).

As you have probably found out - 67.1K Nanea HOs is an awkward number (not enough for a week in a 1Bd in HI - and no studios at Nanea) effectively paying too much (in purchase and in MFs) - sorry, being honest. Most of us have learned the hard way (like me) but luckily found TUG in time (also me).

This is not a one size fits all situation (and not knowing your situation), but generally it is a bad idea to purchase more because of the original purchase).

The first purchase is a lesson learned, and best to optimally use it and move on (too many do not). You can get great vacations from it regardless if you paid too much.

Buying more (or not) is usually (>99%) best accomplished in buying resale after first researching what kind of travel fits your needs - balanced against cost and disposable income that can be used your travels.

My advice... others may differ...
Rescind, then Research, then Resale if the Research (e.g. TUG) shows that TSing is for you.

We love our VSE resorts and own we go (or use SO exchanges). It is not all positive, but overall positive for us.

Research takes time (reading, listening and asking questions), but key in optimizing your usage by knowing your needs now and in future.

And... disposable income (if you are fortunate enough)
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have read (I think) most of the posts on Westin Flex. Some say it's recycled properties under a new name.
No inventory
Your original purchase of at a stand alone location is worth alot more than the Westin Flex

We bought into Nanea - 67,100
We love Maui compared to others. I never thought I would upgrade.
When presented this offer of 8 Home Resorts and bumping our points up. I thought it would be a great idea to do so for us. We have 2 year old.
We dont vacation as much as some of you veterans do.

For us this forces us to take at least 1 vacation a year. We dont have a big extended family. It's just the 3 of us pretty much. I thought this would be a perfect fit.

I have searched Westin Kaanapali North and Nanea per night stays out-of-pocket

This just made sense.
I looked on this website forum for all the feedback.

I have read alot of Sheraton Flex negativity. Well here I am in the Westin Flex.

No worries! Go rescind and we will help you figure out the best bang for your buck going forward.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I heard some folks also add “Rent” as a fourth R. But with the occasion scam from a hacked TUG account, wonder if “Rent” would be the fourth “R.”

I like this!

The 3 Rs of Timeshares:

Rescind
Research
Resale or Rent

In the case of the OP, rentals at WKORV out of pocket tend to be considerably more expensive than MF. So owning makes the most sense - especially for a 2 bdrm. But we need to look at the OP's situation since they need a smaller unit.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

The 4th R is ‘Requal’ to get 5*/PFL (that has decreased in value over time).
(btw - I think the 3-4Rs came from my 2007 WPORV Requal post - classic...)

Renting is part of usage, as is using your HomeResort (deeded), and exchanging (VSN and II) - or BV point conversion for retail buyers (poor value in most cases). Which is why highest seasons at certain Mandatory VSN Resorts have value.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No worries. Often 1st time posters do not follow up (for a variety of reasons I imagine).

As you have probably found out - 67.1K Nanea HOs is an awkward number (not enough for a week in a 1Bd in HI - and no studios at Nanea) effectively paying too much (in purchase and in MFs) - sorry, being honest. Most of us have learned the hard way (like me) but luckily found TUG in time (also me).

This is not a one size fits all situation (and not knowing your situation), but generally it is a bad idea to purchase more because of the original purchase).

The first purchase is a lesson learned, and best to optimally use it and move on (too many do not). You can get great vacations from it regardless if you paid too much.

Buying more (or not) is usually (>99%) best accomplished in buying resale after first researching what kind of travel fits your needs - balanced against cost and disposable income that can be used your travels.

My advice... others may differ...
Rescind, then Research, then Resale if the Research (e.g. TUG) shows that TSing is for you.

We love our VSE resorts and own we go (or use SO exchanges). It is not all positive, but overall positive for us.

Research takes time (reading, listening and asking questions), but key in optimizing your usage by knowing your needs now and in future.

And... disposable income (if you are fortunate enough)
Good luck.

You are absolutely CORRECT 67,100 doesnt get us crap
This added to idea of getting more. Why not and it was within my budget. Well I didn't plan on it....but it is about timing.

I am still absorbing all of the replies/responses and I thank all of you for it.
I get it.....the cliche stated $14k today may or will be worth $4k tomorrow.

Maybe I will just bite the bullet for this time and keep it. Any future purchases (if any) I will go through this forum first to research more.

I booked 2020 vacation at the 12 month period without any problems. We secured a 1 bedroom at Nanea for at least 5 or 6 nights. I dont remember. We booked it last week of May.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am still absorbing all of the replies/responses and I thank all of you for it.

Maybe I will just bite the bullet for this time and keep it. Any future purchases (if any) I will go through this forum first to research more.

Oh NOOOOO! You will forever regret not rescinding and keeping this. If you want more points/time at Nanea you can use Staroptions via a resale at WKORN or WKORV for 1/3 of the price!

Use your existing ownership at Nanea for 4 - 5 days. Then extend with a second add-on stay reserved via Staroptions from an IV unit at WKORN or other mandatory resort. You can also use these staroptions to stay at ANY vistana resort (including St. John, Harborside, Sheraton) that you cannot get with your 8 resorts. The reason Flex is not worth anything is because your buyers don't get the same rights. WKORN and WKORV have mandatory rights to staroptions by resale buyers so are worth more when sold. You could even get a FREE resale Bella or Key West Unit in Florida to trade staroptions to extend your stay.

Once you rescind you will have time to research and understand this better. Don't waste your hard earned money.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You are absolutely CORRECT 67,100 doesnt get us crap
This added to idea of getting more. Why not and it was within my budget. Well I didn't plan on it....but it is about timing.

I booked 2020 vacation at the 12 month period without any problems. We secured a 1 bedroom at Nanea for at least 5 or 6 nights. I dont remember. We booked it last week of May.

Sorry. Rescind.

This deal will always be there (or better) - they purposely misinform - that is their profession.

How much additional funds did you have to put out?
How many FlexOptions did you get?

If $14K - you can get 148.1K SOs at WKV - that you can use within VSN, Stay there, or rent out. I do this - best value TS we own. Or, for pure SO usage - buy SVV (mandatory) for less up front cost, but higher MFs than WKV.

Either way - RESCIND, RESEARCH, RESALE!!!

You were lucky enough to find TUG - now use your new found info.
Don’t fall into the psychological trap of following through because of your lack of knowledge.
They used misinformation to sell you a great product, but at an extreme premium.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh NOOOOO! You will forever regret not rescinding and keeping this. If you want more points/time at Nanea you can use Staroptions via a resale at WKORN or WKORV for 1/3 of the price!

Use your existing ownership at Nanea for 4 - 5 days. Then extend with a second add-on stay reserved via Staroptions from an IV unit at WKORN or other mandatory resort. You can also use these staroptions to stay at ANY vistana resort (including St. John, Harborside, Sheraton) that you cannot get with your 8 resorts. The reason Flex is not worth anything is because your buyers don't get the same rights. WKORN and WKORV have mandatory rights to staroptions by resale buyers so are worth more when sold. You could even get a FREE resale Bella or Key West Unit in Florida to trade staroptions to extend your stay.

Once you rescind you will have time to research and understand this better. Don't waste your hard earned money.
Ooooooh maaaaan

Slow learner. Still trying to comprehend

Set aside from overpaying
Westin Flex sucks?
I am better keeping my 67,100 Nanea ?

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Ooooooh maaaaan

Slow learner. Still trying to comprehend

Not a slow learner. The good news is that you found TUG in time to avoid further damage.

Just know that you have a small window this week to rescind or you are stuck with this albatross forever. Much better deals out there to get what you want but we can talk about that later.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Rescind now. Figure out the details later

You have one opportunity to rescind -- and to save $14K. Should you decide it actually was a good deal for you, it will still be there.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Set aside from Overpaying.

The Westin Flex... is it a bad packaged product?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Just to clarify, if you rescind now, your ownership will revert to your original 67,100 Nanea. You can use it to book 5 nights at Nanea in 1br 12 months in advance, or 7 nights at other Hawaii resorts in a studio 8 months in advance. You will also get your $14k back.

Use the $14k to buy resale an annual deeded 2br lock off Ocean View 148,100 at Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas or Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North. You can then book a guaranteed ocean view 12 months in advance at those properties, to add to your 5 night Nanea stay. You can use the whole 2br, or lock it off and only use either a studio or 1br portion, and rent out the other portion. Rent you receive from 1br portion will likely cover the whole 2br maintenance fees.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Yes - compared to the alternatives.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

Westin Flex is "voluntary" in regards to participation in VSN, which means StarOptions do not transfer on resale. This results in Westin Flex losing pretty much all of its resale value immediately as your rescission window closes. WKORV and WKORVN are "mandatory" to participate in VSN, which means StarOptions DO transfer on resale, and that results in resale value remaining high. You will likely be able to sell WKORV or WKORVN for about the same amount you paid for it when bought resale.

Aside from resale value, Westin Flex has very limited availability of high demand periods, and very high maintenance fees.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
All these folks (including me) supply this info free of cost - and based on years of experience - and most have gotten burned and stayed to help others from the same fate (me included...).

I love our VSE resorts and own nothing but Westin Vacation Resorts.
I even bought one (WPORV) from Starwood (now Vistana).

As mentioned above - use your Nanea FOs to add onto a WKORV/N resale purchase. More Bang - Same Buck.

Use your original purchase as a lesson learned and move forward.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Looks like you’re from CA. Let’s say your rescission saves you $13k compared to a comparable product.

Since you already had 67k, an extra 44k costs about $1k. $13k is a lot of money. Couldn’t you use that toward mortgage payments or college tuition for your kids to a UC or Cal State?

Attachments

• F9BA5476-3C6E-4681-92B2-FDF8574BB205.png
    F9BA5476-3C6E-4681-92B2-FDF8574BB205.png
    135 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 @DavidnRobin We have no horse in this race except we were burned once and want to help others avoid the same mistake. (as well as learn how to maximize what we own.)

Timeshares are fantastic products but they are complex by design and you can end up spending a lot more than you need to get the same product. They are like airlines seats. The guy next to you paid full fare at $500 and you paid $99 for the same seat on the plane because you educated yourself on how to get a better deal.

When we were at the pool at Nanea last summer, owners who had paid full fare $60k couldn't believe we bought our 2 bdrm oceanfront at WKORVN for only $12k.

Last edited:

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okok I am getting the message.
I will need your guidance on how to rescind this contract.

1. We booked our trip in 2020 last week of May under Nanea 67,100
2. In our sales contract they wrote in to keep that vacation date.
2a. We don't want to lose our Original vacation date in this rescind process

3. Sales contract is under wife's name as primary and me as secondary
4. We paid in-full on my Amex Bonvoy card
5. I am still trying to decipher the acronyms in these posts
6. Can I befriend some of you experienced veterans so we can purchase a 1 bedroom Maui location.
We like Kaanapali North and Nanea

Am I asking too much???
Haha

Awaiting these replies

Yes we are in Ca

Currently staying at Westin Desert Willows. Trip concludes tomorrow. We head home to Irvine

This little getaway was for the 2 year old.

We signed the papers for Westin Flex YESTERDAY

awaiting your replies

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Just rescind the contract (both need to sign) - everything should still be in place. They likely wouldn’t change until recession period has passed They are very good at rescinding as long as in time period. There should be a recession letter in the info you received.

If not - let us know. Someone has info. Try not to talk to Sales - if you do - just tell them you changed your mind and you are fine with your previous purchase.

May is low season - you should be able to rebook if you lost reservation (unlikely).

There is an acronym thread (by me) in the Owner Resources Stickie at top of Vistana Forum.