• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newly Purchased Westin Flex

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
1) Your May Nanea vacation date in 2020 will be unaffected because it was reserved with your original 67k points under your original contract. No worries you won't lose this because they won't make any changes to your account until the paperwork is finalized after the rescission period.

2) Look for the section on your contract that says how to rescind. follow those directions exactly. Handwrite or type and keep a copy of the rescission notice.

Use Todays date.

We rescind contract # xxxxx. Please refund our funds ASAP.

Signed by your wife and you.

Mail with tracking prior to the rescission date. Do not hand to the office because they will "lose" the document and you won't have proof.

Once this is complete, we can help you with a 1 bedroom. There are multiple options.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As what to purchase...

What is your goal? Studio or 1Bd? For how many days per year?
Always Hawai’i?
Is location within Resort important to you?
Ok with reserving at 8-month point?
Can you plan 12 months in advance?
Can you travel during shoulder or low season?

Added - you are sort of in a quandary as you already have 67.1 SOs and can only use 81K SOs. If you can use more SOs (stay more days per year), then there are more options on what to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea Studio (no longer owned)
Westin Flex (currently own)
As what too purchase...

What is your goal? Studio or 1Bd? For how many days per year?
Always Hawai’i?
Is location within Resort important to you?
Ok with reserving at 8-month point?
Can you travel during shoulder or low season?

Thankyou everyone
Our goals
At minimal 1 bedroom
Length of stay 7 day minimal
Location Hi, Maui / Nanea / Kaanapali NORTH
We have No preferences High Season or Low season. Just want flexibility
We have No preference 12 month or 8 month. Just want availability

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thankyou everyone
Our goals
At minimal 1 bedroom
Length of stay 7 day minimal
Location Hi, Maui / Nanea / Kaanapali NORTH

What is your maximum stay (per year)?

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is your maximum stay (per year)?

Minimum 7 days
Maximum 14 days

Added: I will get the Rescind letter started tomorrow when we get home. I will mail it certified USPS

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If you don't care about the view, and can travel off season, then buy Sheraton Vistana Villages 81,000 Prime Season 2br (non-lock off), but only in one of these sections: Bella or Key West. Only these two sections are mandatory and come with StarOptions. This will cost you $1,000 - $2,000 to buy, with about $1,300 maintenance fees. Then, use those 81,000 StarOptions to book 7 nights in 1br in Maui 8 months in advance. You will get a "floating" view (most likely island view), and it may be challenging to reserve high demand weeks, such as spring (Jan-Mar) or summer (Jun-Aug).

If you want to ensure you get ocean view or ocean front, and/or you need to travel during high demand times, such as when kids are out of school, you will need to buy an ocean view or ocean front deeded week at WKORV or WKORVN. 2br annual ocean view would cost you about $14k to buy and about $2,800 in maintenance fees. If you only need 1br, you can lock off and rent out the studio portion, that will cover most of the maintenance fees.

But first, rescind your Westin Flex purchase. You can research what to buy later. There is no rush to buy. But there is very limited time to rescind.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rescinding ASAP

WKORVN assuming my decipher is correct. Westin Kaanapali North? Or Nanea

We want that to be out home resort
Ocean View would be nice
Ocean Front not necessary
1 bedroom minimal
7 day minimal

ADDED
I think we Only want to stay within the Westin timeshares

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I heard some folks also add “Rent” as a fourth R. But with the occasion scam from a hacked TUG account, wonder if “Rent” would be the fourth “R.”
Actually, I would consider the third R to be rent and the fourth to be resale. Rent before you jump in and own.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North (WKORVN) do not have deeded 1br. Only 2br. WKORVN island views are not bad, while ocean views are not fantastic either. Island view resale annual 2br is about $10k, ocean view about $14k. Maintenance fees are about $2,800. About half of that for an every other year ownership. If you only need 1br, you will need to lock it off and rent out the studio.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There are two trains of thought:

1) If you plan to only visit Maui every year or every other year for foreseeable future then buy Maui (higher maint fees but you will always get your unit during peak summer and whale season).

a) Best bang for maintenance fee (MF) is to buy a 2 bedroom. The 2 bdrm give you more options and the MF is not much more than a 1 bedroom especially if you lock it off and use each side of the unit:

option 1) lock off to get 2 weeks out of your stay (1 bdrm week 1; studio week 2)
option 2) rent out one side to pay for your maint fee and use other side for a week in maui (aka free vacation)
option 3) stay one week in Maui and trade the other half using staroptions to stay somewhere else for a second week.
option 4) Buy a 2 bdrm Every other year (EOY) and lock off to get 1/2 for your home week in year 1 and use star options from the second half for year 2 (effectively turning a 2 bdrm EOY into a 1 bdrm and studio every year).​

2) If you want to visit Hawaii but also frequently want to use other resorts, Westin Princeville, Disneyworld, St. John, Harborside, Calif Desert, Scottsdale, skiing in colorado etc. then you could buy a mandatory trader unit in Florida (Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella or Key West only) for $1 - 2k and trade into Hawaii using StarOptions (SOs). You will not get the best view and you will need to be flexible on dates but you could save $1000 a year on maint fees over owning in Hawaii.

Check out Redweek.com listings. Also check out the TUG Marketplace listings. (note: you can make an offer that is below asking).

Since you are new (and this is complicated), working with a licensed resale broker can keep you from getting scammed. Resale real estate broker Syed Sarmad on Maui www.advantagevacation.com Syed has access to Maui listings that are not advertised and can advise you on the best 1 bedroom option.

upload_2019-10-2_14-52-7.png

Last edited:

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North (WKORVN) do not have deeded 1br. Only 2br. WKORVN island views are not bad, while ocean views are not fantastic either. Island view resale annual 2br is about $10k, ocean view about $14k. Maintenance fees are about $2,800. About half of that for an every other year ownership. If you only need 1br, you will need to lock it off and rent out the studio.
WKORVN I am okay with Island View 2bedroom
I am a little confused about maintenance fees $2800 first year ? What are maintenance fees every year?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
option 4) Buy a 2 bdrm EOY and lock off to get 1/2 for your home week in year 1 and use star options from the second half for year 2 (effectively buying a 1 bdrm and studio each year).​

Cannot do that.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are two trains of thought:

1) If you plan to only visit Maui every year or every other year for foreseeable future then buy Hawaii (higher maint fees but you will always get your unit during peak summer and whale season).

a) Best bang for maintenance fee (MF) is to buy a 2 bedroom. The 2 bdrm give you more options and the MF is not much more than a 1 bedroom especially if you lock it off and use each side of the unit:

option 1) lock off to get 2 weeks out of your stay (1 bdrm week 1; studio week 2)
option 2) rent out one side to pay for your maint fee and use one week in maui
option 3) stay one week in Maui and trade the other half using staroptions to stay somewhere else for a second week.
option 4) Buy a 2 bdrm EOY and lock off to get 1/2 for your home week in year 1 and use star options from the second half for year 2 (effectively buying a 1 bdrm and studio each year).​

2) If you want to visit Hawaii but also frequently want to use other resorts, Westin Princeville, Disneyworld, St. John, Harborside, Calif Desert, Scottsdale, skiing in colorado etc. then you could buy a trader unit in Florida for $1 - 2k and trade into Hawaii using StarOptions (SOs). You will not get the best view and you will need to be flexible on dates but you could save $1000 a year on maint fees over owning in Hawaii.

Check out Redweek.com listings. Also check out the TUG Marketplace listings. (note: you can make an offer that is below asking).

Since you are new (and this is complicated), working with a licensed resale broker can keep you from getting scammed. Resale real estate broker Syed Sarmad on Maui www.advantagevacation.com Syed has access to Maui listings that are not advertised and can advise you on the best 1 bedroom option.

View attachment 14436
What is EOY ?
I get it. 2 bedroom is the best way to go.
As far as renting out portions or renting it out. Is that all "Do it Yourself" ? Or can you tell Vistana hey...I would like to rent out? I do not have ALOT of time to invest in Renting Out on my own

I am up for 2 bedrooms for getting most for my money.

We LOVE hawaii / Maui
That is why we want that to be our Homebase
We've been to all the islands, so therefore......
I choose Kanapalli NORTH Or Nanea

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
WKORVN I am okay with Island View 2bedroom
I am a little confused about maintenance fees $2800 first year ? What are maintenance fees every year?

For WKORVN 2br, maintenance fees are about $2,800 per year. This is expensive. That is why many are recommending you to buy elsewhere as your home resort (such as SVV Bella or Key West), and use StarOptions to book Hawaii. It is much cheaper to purchase ($1k-$2k vs. $10k-$14k), and much cheaper in maintenance fees ($1,300 vs. $2,800). Especially if you only need 1br and you don't necessarily need ocean view, you can buy 81,000 StarOptions trader. That would be ideal and cost effective for you.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For WKORVN 2br, maintenance fees are about $2,800 per year. This is expensive. That is why many are recommending you to buy elsewhere as your home resort (such as SVV Bella or Key West), and use StarOptions to book Hawaii. It is much cheaper to purchase ($1k-$2k vs. $10k-$14k), and much cheaper in maintenance fees ($1,300 vs. $2,800). Especially if you only need 1br and you don't necessarily need ocean view, you can buy 81,000 StarOptions trader. That would be ideal and cost effective for you.
I see

ADDED
I understand what you are saying now. Still thinking about that. On the fence of having my Homebase somewhere else. I get it $$$$$$$

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Cannot do that.

Sure you can. You bank half your lockoff into year 2 and use Staroptions to reserve on Maui.

This turns a 2 bdrm EOY into an annual 1 bdrm or studio (although you don't get home resort priority in year 2 because they are staroptions.)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
If you buy a StarOptions trader, you will be able to book all Vistana resorts including Maui at 8 months before check in. If you want high demand weeks such as when kids are out of school, then you need to be online exactly at the minute booking becomes available at 8 months, then you have a good chance to reserve what you want. If you want a slower period such as May, you can book pretty much any time, availability is not going to be a problem. I looked now for next May, and for 81,000 StarOptions there is plenty of weeks available at WKORV and WKORVN for 1br floating view, or studio oceanfront, both cost 81,000.

Only buy Maui as your home resort if you are willing to pay a lot more in purchase price and maintenance fees for an oceanfront or ocean view guarantee, need to travel during high demand times, and need a 2br.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can't I just purchase the additional points to add to my 67,100?
So I can get the basic points needed for a 1 bedroom at Nanea

Or is that at all NOT POSSIBLE?

sorry for the Newbie question

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
What is EOY ?
I get it. 2 bedroom is the best way to go.
As far as renting out portions or renting it out. Is that all "Do it Yourself" ? Or can you tell Vistana hey...I would like to rent out? I do not have ALOT of time to invest in Renting Out on my own

I am up for 2 bedrooms for getting most for my money.

We LOVE hawaii / Maui
That is why we want that to be our Homebase
We've been to all the islands, so therefore......
I choose Kanapalli NORTH Or Nanea

EOY = Every other Year usage (vs. Annual)
You pay about half the MF. So if MF is $2700 annual for WKORVN, then it is about $1400 for an EOY.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

You can only purchase additional Nanea points from the developer, it's going to be expensive and not a good idea. Also, 1br availability at Nanea is very limited.

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
EOY = Every other Year usage (vs. Annual)
You pay about half the MF. So if MF is $2700 annual for WKORVN, then it is about $1400 for an EOY.
Thankyou for acronym
We plan on going every year.
At least for now. It's for the wife and 2year old.

I work ALOT. So the every year is a must. As it is now I am hardly home. Lol

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At the end of the day
the consensus is
*I need to get rid of the Westin Flex

I could just stay with what I have
67,100 Nanea

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Yes that is another option. You need to do the math on the purchase cost + MF over 10 years to get an idea of which is best. Here is a resale Westin flex that sold for $2,500 recently on Ebay. This was sold by a reputable seller. You have to be careful with Ebay because there are some scammers. There aren't many Westin Flex on the resale market yet because it is new.

upload_2019-10-2_15-45-5.png

Buying resale flex points might be most cost effective, or you might be better off buying a WKORVN or WKORV unit or Bella/Key West trader for staroptions and then selling your current property, or augmenting your nanea with a staroption reservation at Nanea.

Last edited:

RC51Tofuman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes that is another option. You need to do the math on the purchase cost + MF over 10 years to get an idea of which is best. Here is a resale Westin flex that sold for $2,500 recently on Ebay. This was sold by a reputable seller on EBay. You have to be careful with Ebay because there are some scammers.

View attachment 14437
Wow wut the heck

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Sure you can. You bank half your lockoff into year 2 and use Staroptions to reserve on Maui.

This turns a 2 bdrm EOY into an annual 1 bdrm or studio (although you don't get home resort priority in year 2 because they are staroptions.)

Yes, you are right. You cannot borrow into off years, but you can bank.

Still, buying Maui EOY may not be a good idea because:

1. You would lose you deeded view in off years
2. You will only get a studio in off years
3. You will only be able to book at 8 months in off years
4. You pay ~$150 VSN fee every year
5. You have to pay banking fee and keep track of deadlines

Much more cost effective to buy an annual 81,000 trader.