• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newest item for Californians to take on vacation-- the dirty laundry

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
California's problem isn't the lack of water, it's the lack of new reservoir construction. Add in the fact that the pols claim a smelt is endangered and trillions of gallons are flushed into the ocean.

The goal is to keep us starving so we're always begging. They've already done it to the farmers and we will be next.
I don't follow this particular political issue but what is their motivation for doing this? Why would they choose to put farmers out of business and make residents reduce their consumption to near zero? I honestly don't understand the financial motivation here.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We build more lakes, for more water storage. Like virtually everywhere else, it comes from rainfall. Where does the Colorado's water come from? Rain/Snowfall. . .
Oh. I assumed aquifers possibly. Well I wish that we got enough rainfall to make conservation a moot point.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I don't follow this particular political issue but what is their motivation for doing this? Why would they choose to put farmers out of business and make residents reduce their consumption to near zero? I honestly don't understand the financial motivation here.

It's like restaurant owners in NYC having to pay graft to the mafia or their trash doesn't get picked up.

If you take a drive up in central and Northern California, farmers have signs out on their property begging for water. Guess where the campaign contributions end up just so you can stay in business?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
California's problem isn't the lack of water, it's the lack of new reservoir construction. Add in the fact that the pols claim a smelt is endangered and trillions of gallons are flushed into the ocean.

The goal is to keep us starving so we're always begging. They've already done it to the farmers and we will be next.
Looking at @Ralph Sir Edward reply above, maybe it's a cost issue that keeps us from building reservoirs. I'm not sure how long you've been in the county but do you remember how much fuller Lake Hodges used to be say, 20 years ago? It seems like that has a lot of unused capacity there.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Looking at @Ralph Sir Edward reply above, maybe it's a cost issue that keeps us from building reservoirs. I'm not sure how long you've been in the county but do you remember how much fuller Lake Hodges used to be say, 20 years ago? It seems like that has a lot of unused capacity there.

Laker Hodges was over flowing last year. The damn was recently raised at Lake San Vicente to make it bigger. I've lived in North County since 1977. San Diego's in better shape water-wise than most other places in California. We've got that new desalination plant in Carlsbad now as well.

Of course the Colorado river water is so hard it makes a water softener almost mandatory.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Laker Hodges was over flowing last year. The damn was recently raised at Lake San Vicente to make it bigger. I've lived in North County since 1977. San Diego's in better shape water-wise than most other places in California. We've got that new desalination plant in Carlsbad now as well.

Of course the Colorado river water is so hard it makes a water softener almost mandatory.
So weird about Lake Hodges - we have friends who purchased a house in the Trails with a beautiful lake view, but it's been just a beautiful valley view for the past decade or so. I drive by there all the time but I haven't notice it on the east side of the 15. That's always my mental litmus test. But I don't really pay that much attention to it any more, so maybe their lake view is back! And it looks like we've been here about the same amount of time. :) Our little corner of the state and I do feel blessed to live here every day.

Btw, we must be the only Californians without a water softener. Lol.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
So weird about Lake Hodges - we have friends who purchased a house in the Trails with a beautiful lake view, but it's been just a beautiful valley view for the past decade or so. I drive by there all the time but I haven't notice it on the east side of the 15. That's always my mental litmus test. But I don't really pay that much attention to it any more, so maybe their lake view is back! And it looks like we've been here about the same amount of time. :) Our little corner of the state and I do feel blessed to live here every day.

I think the operators of the lake can manage the level as they need it except of course in the drought years when it was really low.

Yes we moved to Vista in 1977 from West Los Angeles. I was a young lad of 13.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Btw, we must be the only Californians without a water softener. Lol
I'm with you. I have no idea what soft water is or why hard water is a problem for anyone.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Because those that support them and get them elected have convinced them that creating water storage projects will kill the earth. They are even trying to get rid of the projects (dams and reservoirs) that we already have.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because those that support them and get them elected have convinced them that creating water storage projects will kill the earth. They are even trying to get rid of the projects (dams and reservoirs) that we already have.
Probably obvious, but they can't really be that short sighted, can they? On the other hand, Hetch Hetchy/Yosemite Valley. If you've been to both you understand. I'm glad that at least one was preserved.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now California is awash (very appropriate word) in water. Lest one forget, here is what the reservoirs looked like five years ago. Certainly I am not against more reservoirs, but for them to work, rainfall and far more importantly, the snow pack in the mountains is what counts. Nature bats last.

1577997355670.png

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. I have no idea what soft water is or why hard water is a problem for anyone.

I don't have one either. But I know they were big business when I worked in finance. A water softener contract was a big deal. Customers spent upwards of $3500 to own one and that was in the 80's. I'm sure my appliances and pool could have escaped scale and mineral deposits had I installed one but these are first world problems to me. I just need my water drinkable.

Funny thing is I don't like the taste of softened water. When I was a kid (70's) I was at a friends house and she offered me a glass of tap water. I asked her if it was hard or soft water. She turned on the spigot and ran her finger under it and said, soft. LOL!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
You can buy a softener at Lowe’s for about $400.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now California is awash (very appropriate word) in water. Lest one forget, here is what the reservoirs looked like five years ago. Certainly I am not against more reservoirs, but for them to work, rainfall and far more importantly, the snow pack in the mountains is what counts. Nature bats last.
^^This^^. Having lived in San Diego's inland north county for the past 30 years, I've seen many wet cycles and many dry cycles. And not surprisingly, I've observed the state of Lake Hodges change (full to empty to full again) many times as well.