• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newby Question about undeposited weeks in RCI

KidInCollege

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a timeshare that we are trying to sell. My mother-in-law (who is now deceased) was an RCI member. We are not members. We have just gotten her statement from RCI and she has 14 weeks available for deposit. I have seen posts in these boards that say things in RCI can be transferred (for a fee). Is there any way we can get access to these weeks to help as an incentive to sell our current week? Thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We own a timeshare that we are trying to sell. My mother-in-law (who is now deceased) was an RCI member. We are not members. We have just gotten her statement from RCI and she has 14 weeks available for deposit. I have seen posts in these boards that say things in RCI can be transferred (for a fee). Is there any way we can get access to these weeks to help as an incentive to sell our current week? Thanks.

I believe what you are looking at is what she already has deposited. If we are only talking about one week of ownership, it is unlikely that she can deposit 14 weeks. Usually you can deposit the current year's usage (2015) and maybe next year's usage (2016.)

With the number 14, what's more likely is that she already has 14 TPU (trading power units) deposited and available for use in RCI. That is a small number of points - enough for an exchange for one week in an average resort. But you are not allowed to rent exchanges.

As far as depositing additional weeks - like 2015 and 2016, generally, it will be less attractive to a buyer if you deposit the usage. In most case buyers want to use the week at the resort, and if you deposit it, they can't get it back.

However, at this point in the year, the 2015 usage may have little value, because in most cases we are past vacation season, and at many resorts, it's impossible to reserve a good date because they are booked solid for the rest of the year.

At some point you will want to deposit the 2015 week to salvage it, and perhaps use the deposit yourself, and start the new owner's usage in 2016.

What's important for you to know is exactly what the depositing rules are for this resort, and what your options are. It varies from resort to resort, so there is no hard and fast rule.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
One more question: Has this timeshare been formally transferred to your name by creating a new deed and registering it with the county and the resort?

If not, you don't have to accept the inheritance - you can refuse it, and let the resort take it back.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the resort in question is the one in your profile

1. Most importantly: do NOT pay any organization an upfront fee because they promise to take it off your hands. They will take your fee....and vanish.
2. Contact the resort's Homeowners Association and inquire as to whether they will take your week back for free, or with the payment of X number of months of maintenance fees. You must make it clear that you will not be paying another cent to them, and that it will be cheaper for them to take it back, instead of foreclosing. Ask for the Name/Title of the person who would be authorized to make that decision.
3. Try giving it away on TUG by posting in the Bargain Deals section.

Regarding your Mother In Law's RCI account: it is very unlikely that she has 14 weeks there. Was she actively using or exchanging her timeshare in the year before she passed? Or had she not used it for years?
I presume she owned this:
Stonebridge Village Condominiums (#3402)
Reeds Springs, MO USA

Last edited:

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232753

I looked up the resort in RCI. I see that RCI has every week of the year available for cash rental, that in many cases, are below the maintenance fees owners pay for the week. I'm sorry to say, that this tells me there is no demand for this resort.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is it in your names, or still in hers? You are not obligated to take it if it is in her name still.

KidInCollege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately we are the current owners as my husband did sign the deed about twenty years ago along with his parents.

I have already tried calling the Association and they said they will not take a deed-back.

I know that interest in this is going to be low since it would only appeal to someone who would want to go to Branson, Missouri. I was going to post it for free in the Bargain Basement on this site.

I do have another question, if I offered the week for 2015/2106 plus offering extra money, do you think that would generate any interest? If not, should I just forget posting on this site and go immediate to Donate for A Cause.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately we are the current owners as my husband did sign the deed about twenty years ago along with his parents.

I have already tried calling the Association and they said they will not take a deed-back.

I know that interest in this is going to be low since it would only appeal to someone who would want to go to Branson, Missouri. I was going to post it for free in the Bargain Basement on this site.

I do have another question, if I offered the week for 2015/2106 plus offering extra money, do you think that would generate any interest? If not, should I just forget posting on this site and go immediate to Donate for A Cause.

If it takes extra incentive, DFAC will cost the extra incentive, the closing costs, and some profit for DFAC. The extra incentive you typically see is a gift card upon close, I've seen numbers like $150 and $300 on EBay.

It won't cost you anything to post it on TUG, first offering to cover closing and transfer costs, then offering the incentive if that alone doesn't sell it.

You may need to be patient. Some intervals have taken months to move, whether on TUG or by a reseller. Some have taken years. Obviously, the more incentive you offer a taker, the faster it will move.

If TUG fails miserably for you, you can then go to a reseller, and pay their profit to unload it for you, but you should know you are starting the waiting game all over again at that point.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no reason not to try TUG first - we don't charge you anything, and you can arrange a low-cost professional title transfer for about $150.

Donate for a Cause is going to charge thousands.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just for the sake of argument...you are clearly willing to pay a huge fee to "get rid of" your timeshare.

why not take half that huge fee and offer to cover closing costs...and the rest towards next years maint fees so the buyer has a free week to use next year as well.

thus you are making your sale 100% more attractive, and still saving 50% vs what you would pay an upfront fee company to do the exact same thing for you.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One Caveat: When you are offering an incentive, it's safer to pay the 2016 maintenance fee directly to the mgmt. company, OR to send the incentive to the new owner, after the deed has been completely transferred to them, and you have verified it.

This will help you avoid someone who might just want the incentive, and doesn't intend to complete the transfer and actually assume ownership.

Or in some cases, a situation in which the resort refused the transfer at the very end - after you have already paid the new owner.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Not to be the voice of doom but I think this is a resort that a former TUG member has been aggressively trying to give away for a few years now with free usage and closing cost paid and aggressively petitioning management to take back to no avail. I believe Festiva has taken over management and is not accepting deed backs. He has documented his efforts both OY and on Redweeks forums. He has talked it up with locals trying to capitalize on the country club aspect of using the golf and facilities year round.

Hopefully the OP owns a bright red week.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had a mediocre TS in over-built Branson that I wanted to give away, and I posted Ads everywhere, but I finally gave it away on the Branson Craigslist.

It's more work posting on CL, because most CL responders know nothing about timeshares, but I did end up finding a new owner there.

I also paid for the professional transfer, and the 2015 MF, and the new owner got the 2015 usage - a holiday week.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think the OP owns at a fixed week resort with a higher MF. So as difficult a time you had it could be much worse.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the OP owns at a fixed week resort with a higher MF. So as difficult a time you had it could be much worse.

You may be totally right - but I think it's worth a try, at least for 2-3 mos.

However, if money isn't an object, I do think DFAC will do what they say - it's just won't be cheap, and the tax donation is bogus.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise,
I totally agree with you. Try to give it away with usage included, transfer fees and closing included. Offer to throw in an additional RCI exchange with guest cert using the credit in the account. All of this would be less expensive than immediately going to DFC. Advertise here, advertise on Craigslist. Unfortunately it may not be enough depending on what you own.

KidInCollege

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Mother-in-Law used to take care of all of this, so I am trying to figure everything out. I did call yesterday and this is what I found out.

Our week is red (week 22) however it is also a floating week, every other year odd. The unit is a lockout so it can be split and the week (on each side) can be divided into a three day stay and a 4 day stay.

Since this is only useable on the odd years, and even if I found a buyer soon, the transfer probably wouldn't be completed before the year is up. When should I post it on this site? Should I go ahead and post it now for 2017 or wait until first quarter 2016?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My Mother-in-Law used to take care of all of this, so I am trying to figure everything out. I did call yesterday and this is what I found out.

Our week is red (week 22) however it is also a floating week, every other year odd. The unit is a lockout so it can be split and the week (on each side) can be divided into a three day stay and a 4 day stay.

Since this is only useable on the odd years, and even if I found a buyer soon, the transfer probably wouldn't be completed before the year is up. When should I post it on this site? Should I go ahead and post it now for 2017 or wait until first quarter 2016?

There is no reason to wait - the sooner you post it - the sooner you will find a taker.

But please note that it is critical to come back and add new info. to your thread frequently to keep it fresh and near the top of the postings. Some people post it once and forget it - that will not get the job done.

Clarification: Every time you add a post to your thread, it bumps it to the very top of the page. If you don't do that, eventually it gets pushed off the first page, and further and further back in the posts, where it is less likely to be seen.

If there is a maintenance fee for 2016, you will want to pay it, and post that in your Ad.

Last edited: