• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbies just purchased into HGVC yesterday - Tuscany... Buyer's remorse? Searching for advice!

ojohmy

Reaction score
Hello! Thank you in advance for clicking here!

My fiance and I just purchased into the HGVC program yesterday - the Tuscany Village Resort in Florida. Our purchase was about $15k for 5,440 points biennial (with $1200 biennial maint. fee) and 10k bonus points. We don't really care about the Tuscany Resort, but jumped into the program more for the ability to book at other resorts (Hawaii, Ski resorts, International RCI, other higher-end resorts) at a discount and without paying for resort booking fees/taxes. We realized that we end up traveling quite a bit throughout the year, avg 14 days and felt like this program would help us cut costs in the long run.

I found TUG today and now I feel like I'm wrestling with buyer's remorse. A few questions:
  1. It looks like you can buy TS resales for way cheaper? Are the resales the same with what we bought with Hilton (minus the HGV Max program)?
  2. Also, I was reading into the HGV Max program (and the $7k upgrade fee for resale purchasers) and am wondering if the program makes it worth keeping our in-house purchase?
  3. Thinking about it, it feels all a bit too good to be true, are the availabilities at nicer resorts really bad? We have a pretty flexible travel schedule as we both work remote.
  4. Also, what is MFpp and how do you calculate it?
  5. Should we cancel (We bought in Vegas and contract says we have 5 calendar days to cancel) and buy resale?
Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated! I've looked through the TUG forum today but it's all such a plethora of new info, so please excuse any ignorance!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
HGVC is a good program. Please follow advice in prior post to someone else last week. Take time to research. You have 1 chance to rescind and it is VERY time sensitive.

Be sure to send certified mail. If you go back to resort, make sure to get signed receipt acknowledging that they got your rescission letter. Better idea to mail certified mail on Monday. Elaine

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you have doubts, rescind while you still can, then do your research. If you decide you still want to own that timeshare, they will gladly sell it to you again. You shouldn't be fast-talked into buying something without knowing what you're getting into. Be aware - rescission needs to happen within a specific time frame, usually only a few days. If you miss the deadline, you're locked in.

My understanding of HGVC is that 5400 biennial points can be purchased for about a third of what you're being charged. Booking into those high-end resorts may be difficult, if you don't have enough points to afford it.

My advice: Rescind now, research things thoroughly, then make an informed decision on your own time.

Dave

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Rescind. Tuscany has higher MFs and you are paying a lot for what you are getting. We own at Tuscany, that we bought in 2003, and it is almost double the MFs, as our Blvd in Vegas for the same number of points plus the Blvd was a fraction of the price. If all you are looking for is a cheap price and low MFs, then look at Vegas and Scotland resales.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
5,440 points every other year is practically useless. Plus, your maintenance fee is very high per point for that contract. Rescind, research, and if you think a HGV is still right for you (I love the program!), then purchase resale for a fraction of what you paid, and you can get double the points, every year with a maintenance fee per point that is much less.

Kurt

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
5,440 points every other year is practically useless.

To piggy back on Kurt’s comment, 5450 biennial points is also practically worthless. As others have said, rescind and do some research.

Just one option on the resale market is 11,200 annual platinum points. For your $15,000 you could potentially purchase that plus enough left over to pay your maintenance fees for the next 5 years or so. All while enjoying more than double the annual vacations.

sherakay

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs
Rescind asap and follow the instructions in your contract. Send certified mail and everyone that signed at Hilton needs to sign the rescind letter.

I just bought into HGVC in May for FAR less on the resale market, both contracts bought on Ebay. I bought HGVC Boulevard in LV for $2.55, yes TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY-FIVE CENTS! It is an every other year like what you bought, even years, 8000 points that came with 2022 points for free (meaning I did not pay to reimburse the sellers their maintenance fee) that I immediately banked to 2023 to use to book a 6 night 2 bedroom oceanfront room at Lagoon Tower in April.

I also bought a HGVC Paradise, every other year even as well, 8000 points, came with free 2022 points for $966.

1. It looks like you can buy TS resales for way cheaper? Are the resales the same with what we bought with Hilton (minus the HGV Max program)? Yes
  2. Also, I was reading into the HGV Max program (and the $7k upgrade fee for resale purchasers) and am wondering if the program makes it worth keeping our in-house purchase? Not at all. 5440 points won't get you much in Hilton nor Max. Max is nothing but an exchange program that they STILL haven't rolled out yet. All it is, is exchanging your Hilton points for points at a few former Diamond resorts that they are supposedly remodeling. These Diamond resorts are 3 star resorts with mediocre reviews on Tripadvisor, Yelp, and Google. Very few amenities and you can only exchange into them 6 months out after all Diamond owners have had their pick of choice dates and rooms.
  3. Thinking about it, it feels all a bit too good to be true, are the availabilities at nicer resorts really bad? We have a pretty flexible travel schedule as we both work remote. If you can book 9 months out from your checkout date you should be fine. Hawaii, Vegas, and Orlando tend to have lots of availability even closer to your travel dates due to having many resorts in those locations. Other locations where there are only one HGVC resort will be more difficult.
  4. Also, what is MFpp and how do you calculate it? That is maintenance fee per point. For example, my Boulevard purchase has a MF of $944.41 for 2022 and I have 8000 points. So that's 11.8 Cents per point in maintenance fees. I would have liked to buy 2 Blvd contracts but lost out on a second contract twice on Ebay which is why I snagged the Paradise. I bought in to HGVC because we needed to be in Waikiki for a wedding next April and I had just sold our DVC ownership so we couldn't stay at Aulani and hotel room costs for suites that sleep 6 are astronomical, and I have a certain standard of accommodations when I go on vacation so buying into HGVC made sense but I needed to move quickly. My Paradise Contract has a MF of $1027.49 for 8000 points so that's a MF per point of 12.8 cents.
  5. Should we cancel (We bought in Vegas and contract says we have 5 calendar days to cancel) and buy resale? YES!!!

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is the points guide. So for your current ownership, you can get a 1 bedroom during gold season and will not have enough points for anything else other than a studio during Gold or Platinum season unless you want to stay for less than a week or save and then borrow from the following year. Again, like everyone has said, I would rescind. There is nothing in Max yet so nothing to gain right now. Down the road, there will be some HVC properties but so far, to me, not worth it. If you buy resale, you can use the points anywhere and if you buy a certain affiliates like SW FL or Scotland, they are even elite eligible points. Here is the site for the Craigendarroch resales so that you can get an idea of they cost and their MFs are, https://www.craigendarroch.com/sales/

1661038039560.png

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
We bought Tuscany Resale for $100, 5440 points annually, $960 MF. We can squeeze two Mon-Friday weekday vacations per year in a 1-bedroom, which is all we really need.

1. After April 2022,You may lose Open Season and the ability to convert to Hilton Honors every year. Not a big deal.
2. HGV Max is not worth it IMO, especially with so few points. HGVC > HVC
3. We're new to this, but we were able to get into Hawaii in peak season on short notice. Easy to get into Myrtle Beach off peak, and Tuscany Village back on peak.
5. Buy resale! Vegas can be a great deal on 8,000+ point contracts.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
I told the sales closer yesterday the 6 months booking window, for me, was a deal killer for HGV Max. He replied back "their surveys indicated 85% of the owners surveyed preferred a shorter reservation window". I said resurvey the same people in nine months, oh wait, new owners of HVG Max can't even book anything yet!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Should we cancel (We bought in Vegas and contract says we have 5 calendar days to cancel) and buy resale?
Yes, you are paying too much, & you don't have enough points to enjoy the system and your MFs on this deed are too high. I would suggest that you rescind now while you have the change and research first.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I told the sales closer yesterday the 6 months booking window, for me, was a deal killer for HGV Max. He replied back "their surveys indicated 85% of the owners surveyed preferred a shorter reservation window". I said resurvey the same people in nine months, oh wait, new owners of HVG Max can't even book anything yet!
I am sure everyone would love a shorter booking window.... Problem is, no availability.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone would love a shorter booking window.... Problem is, no availability.

Yup. all depends upon how the question is posed:

"Would you prefer to be required to book at 9 months before your trip or be able to book at 6 months?"
a. 9 month requirement
b. 6 month option

Easy to get a shorter window answer out of this one.

Cheers.,

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona

It is August 22nd, can't I manage a shorter booking window within HGVC myself, by not looking beyond February 22nd? I feel like I don't need an expensive program to set such boundaries.

Here's an idea, I'm going to start a hotel booking site that cuts off at 6 months, it is what 85% of people want!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona

It is August 22nd, can't I manage a shorter booking window within HGVC already, by not looking beyond February 22nd? I feel like I don't need an expensive program to set such boundaries. And even if what he said was true, do we really want to be stuck in the middle of a booking feeding frenzy?

Here's an idea, I'm going to start a hotel booking site that cuts everyone off at 6 months, after all that's what 85% of the population wants!

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is August 22nd, can't I manage a shorter booking window within HGVC myself, by not looking beyond February 22nd? I feel like I don't need an expensive program to set such boundaries.

Here's an idea, I'm going to start a hotel booking site that cuts off at 6 months, it is what 85% of people want!
You are right. There is the reverse issue of folks who like/need to plan out activities more than 6 months ahead. Nothing to do with availability but just want to plan out life more than 6 months ahead. That isn't an option for Max users for cross booking ... Unless they use RCI or a Hilton Hotel

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are right. There is the reverse issue of folks who like/need to plan out activities more than 6 months ahead. Nothing to do with availability but just want to plan out life more than 6 months ahead. That isn't an option for Max users for cross booking ... Unless they use RCI or a Hilton Hotel

That's us. Since the airfares are often lowest at (or near) release at 11 months, this times well for us. We book the tickets further out and then book at 9 months for HGVC. DVC is 11 months, so even better timed.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's us. Since the airfares are often lowest at (or near) release at 11 months, this times well for us. We book the tickets further out and then book at 9 months for HGVC. DVC is 11 months, so even better timed.

Cheers.
For our Hawaii trip this past April, I bought plane tickets well in advance for my wife, younger son, and myself but then our older son who is just out of college decided that he and his girlfriend wanted to go and bought plane tickets about a month out....cheaper than ours and more direct so sometimes buying tickets out further works well but not always.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
For our Hawaii trip this past April, I bought plane tickets well in advance for my wife, younger son, and myself but then our older son who is just out of college decided that he and his girlfriend wanted to go and bought plane tickets about a month out....cheaper than ours and more direct so sometimes buying tickets out further works well but not always.

True. But given that most (all?) of the domestic carriers have no change fees, easy to just change the tickets and bank the extra against a future trip. No-lose situation to buy earlier (except the small issue of tying up the funds).

What airline, if I nay ask?

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
True. But given that most (all?) of the domestic carriers have no change fees, easy to just change the tickets and bank the extra against a future trip. No-lose situation to buy earlier (except the small issue of tying up the funds).

What airline, if I nay ask?

Cheers.
He flew Delta, which is what we wanted but it was $1k higher than American at the time we booked so we took American....and it was painful. ATL to Phoenix to Kona...then received a message that our flight was changed...but not what the change was, so looked at it and we were missing the first outbound leg...no ATL to Phoenix so called Amex and then had to route ATL to Dallas to Phoenix to Kona....then received another change email. Called and we lost our leg out of Kona. We were supposed to fly Kona to LA to Charleston to ATL.. called Amex about the lost 1st return leg and they had to rebook us but actually better Kona to Phoenix to ATL. Hours on the phone for all of this...then painful flight out. ATL to Hawaii is painful....quicker to go to Europe and the Caribbean.

Our sons flight was ATL to Honolulu to Kona..cheaper, faster, and more direct....and on Delta which is what we had wanted since we tend to fly Delta.

Armani987

Reaction score
I did the same thing several years back. Signed Westin Nanea for $30k and found TUG that very same night. Got an advise to rescind it so I did that immediately. After a lot of research and readings on this forum, I bought a biennial 1BR Gold (5440) unit at HGVC on the Boulevard off classified ad here for $500 including escrow and partial points to see if I like the program. Soon realized it wasn't enough so added another Annual 1Br Gold this year for like $1000. I'm very happy that my initial cost and MF is kept low. I just came back from King's Land in Hawaii couple days ago and will be there again next year. BUY RESALE!

Armani987

Reaction score
I just came back from King's Land coupe days ago. We bought these tickets in January of this year right after my trip to HHV and it was 299 round trip from LAX. Good price, but my airfare to HHV in January this year was 128 round trip and it was bought one month before in December when Hawaiian Airlines had their flash sale. Research airfares on slickdeals.net.