• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

newbie trading question

rubeushagrid

Reaction score
I have read the FAQ and the advice article.

I just purchased a resale week at Vistana Villages.
It is a floating week.

So I am a SVN member. I'm trying to figure out how to use this timeshare.

If I do not want to stay at vistana villages in 2009, what are my options.

1) I could trade for another Starwood resort using staroptions?

2) could deposit the week in II.

How do I do this. Do I just deposit the floating week and Starwood chooses the week. Or do I book a week sometime and then deposit that week.

Is there and advantage to one way or the other?

Does it make sense for me to book a week during the summer at SVV and
then later deposit it to II if I can't/don't want to use it.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sunil

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. Before deciding your options you first need to determine if your resale week is part of SVN. Vistana Villages has both mandatory (SVN membership transfers with resales) and voluntary (no SVN membership with resales) sections. If you purchased in either Bella or Key West, you will be part of SVN, if you purchased Amelia star options will not be available to you. Secondly, before deciding what you want to do you need to decide where you might want to vacation in 2009 and what size accomodations fit your needs and when you will want to vacation. I know, too many questions for too far in advance but knowing those answers will best determine how to use your timeshare.

tinkerbell2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also own at the Bella section of SVV. I bought last year and traded for Westin Kierland in the fall using my staroptions. It is easy, using the online request form on mystarcentral. Next year we are going to Lagunamar in Cancun. We haven't been to Florida yet ! Rember however, that you can not book more than 8 months ahead of time using your SO. So far we are quite satisfied with the whole idea of timeshare with SVN.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

From the FAQ:

12) How do I deposit a Starwood week with an exchange company?

Interval International (II) - Call Starwood Owner Services and let them know that you want to deposit your week with II. Starwood will choose the week that is deposited and make the deposit for you. (Detailed info. here.) [With an SVN resort, Starwood reserves the right to choose the week that will be deposited.]

Independent Exchange Companies - Reserve a popular week at your home resort exactly as you would if it was for your own use. Contact your independent exchange company to complete the transaction.​

13) If I can't use my week this year, can I rent it, trade it, deposit it, or let friends or family use it? -
YES​

14) How do I make a reservation with Starwood?

The earliest you can make a reservation at your home resort for your deeded unit size & season is 12 mos. from your desired check-in date.

That means if you own a 2 bdm. lock-off, at 12 mos. out, you can reserve:
1) The whole 2 bedroom unit or
2) Just the 1 bdm. side or
3) Just the studio side

To make a reservation at your home resort, call owner services - (888) 986-9637, during the Owner's Preference Period, 12-8 mos. out from the date of arrival. Best practice: Call exactly at 12 mos. out at 9:00 a.m. ET.

To make a Staroption exchange
, call owner services 8 - 0 mos. out from the date of arrival.
Best Practice: At 12 mos. out, reserve your home resort week as a backup. At exactly 8 mos. out at 9:00 a.m. ET, call and see if the exchange you want is available. If it is, you can cancel your home resort and reserve the exchange.

Reservations for less than a full week can be made 3 - 0 mos. out, if available.

Reservations canceled within 60 days of the check-in date, can only be used to make future reservations at 60 days out from arrival date and Starwood may charge a cancellation fee.​

*When you use the reservation function on mystarcentral.com to make a reservation, you are just sending an email, which someone has to read and respond to - you are not making a real-time reservation. For hard-to-get reservations, especially WSJ, Harborside, the Hawaii Resorts, and all holiday weeks, calling at exactly 9:00 a.m. ET, at exactly 12/8 mos. out, is the best practice.

Last edited:

rubeushagrid

Reaction score
Let me clarify my question.

Can I make a reservation right now at my home resort for
summer of 09.
Then later, say in the spring, change my mind and deposit it to II.

Thanks for the help.
Sunil

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Let me clarify my question.

Can I make a reservation right now at my home resort for
summer of 09.
Then later, say in the spring, change my mind and deposit it to II.

Thanks for the help.
Sunil

Yes, but this is not the best practice - you may be charged a cancellation fee and your trading power may not be as high with a last minute deposit. For the highest trading power you should deposit 12 mos. out. With Starwood, you really need to make your plans at 12 mos. out, if you are going to use your home resort or deposit with II, or at 8 mos.out for a Starwood exchange. The longer you wait to deposit, the lower your trading power is and the less there is available.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should you decide to deposit into II, you may want to request that Starwood deposits a non Orlando week for you as Orlando typically has weaker trading power.

pharmgirl

Reaction score
Hi Did a search for int interval, we own at Westin Maui (south) and I think we pay for interval international in our dues - correct? have never traded our westin maui - too beautiful!

we also own marriotts and pay separately for II

My question - if we must pay II with our Westin - can we combine the Marriotts with westin under one II account?
in other words, do we need to pay for ii for our marriotts since we already pay with westin?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Did a search for int interval, we own at Westin Maui (south) and I think we pay for interval international in our dues - correct? have never traded our westin maui - too beautiful!

we also own marriotts and pay separately for II

My question - if we must pay II with our Westin - can we combine the Marriotts with westin under one II account?
in other words, do we need to pay for ii for our marriotts since we already pay with westin?

No - your Starwood II account is only for TS's in the SVN. You have to have a separate Acct. for other deposits.