• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie thinking of buying but have a few questions.

Rondo1369

Reaction score
Hi All,

First I want to thank you all, I have been surfing the forum for a month or so and have found tons of info to help in my research. I am a former DVC owner but have been looking at buying Wyndham because of the low resale prices and the variety of resorts within the system. I have been watching ebay listings for several weeks now and I see lots of listings for Las Vegas Grand Desert. The MF's there seem very low so I was wondering if there is a hidden reason there are so many for sale at this resort, any SA's or anything like that?

Also, with the credit pool, How far in advance can you pool points? For example in 2012 can I pool 2013 and 2014 points or just 2013?

Lastly, we are taking a family trip to Orlando in October. If I buy soon I hope to have access to my points by March or April. Will I have trouble booking Bonnet Creek for late October only 6 months out?

Thanks again ofr all the info.

Ron

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
...Lastly, we are taking a family trip to Orlando in October. If I buy soon I hope to have access to my points by March or April. Will I have trouble booking Bonnet Creek for late October only 6 months out?Thanks again ofr all the info.

Ron

Most likely NOT unless you want it for Canadian Thanksgiving Holiday....

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Not any SA that I've heard of.

I don't think you'll have any problem booking Bonnet Creek for October. It usually has pretty good availability for non holiday times.

We're DVC owners and had to sell a big chunk of our DVC points after my husband was downsized back in the summer. We still own a small DVC contract. Thank goodness we have been able to keep most of our Wyndham points (they were cheap to buy and we own at Wyndham Smoky Mountains so cheap maintenance fees, too).

Good luck with your hunt for resale Wyndham points. :D

Rondo1369

Reaction score
I had to sell my DVC after a divorce. I really liked the point concept which is one reason I am looking at Wyndham. I thought about buying DVC again but the kids are getting older and I would like to vacation in some different places without having to use RCI.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't your Wyndham Points Annual Fee include a mandatory RCI account ?

Granted no exchange fee for Wydahm properties, but you are still a member of RCI ?

Rondo1369

Reaction score
I believe it does. My point was that with DVC you only have a handful of choices without using RCI. With Wyndham there are many more options before having to resort to an exchange. Thats all.:)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, with the credit pool, How far in advance can you pool points? For example in 2012 can I pool 2013 and 2014 points or just 2013?

Ron

I pooled my 2013 points in 2011, so now I am eagerly awaiting the new year so I can credit pool (and use) my 2014 points

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is my take FWIW. 1. MFs are relatively low there because there is relatively little maintenance required. There is a nice pool but there are no golf courses, water parks, etc. to maintain. No salt erosion to combat, hurricanes, etc. 2. In the case of Vegas, impulse buys may be even more prevalent than at other locations; Vegas not generally being known as a place of restraint ;)

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I believe it does. My point was that with DVC you only have a handful of choices without using RCI. With Wyndham there are many more options before having to resort to an exchange. Thats all.:)

You'll like the internal choices. So far we've stayed at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk (loved it), Wyndham Smoky Mountains (home resort which was nice) and Wyndham Bonnet Creek (like it very much). We want to try Wyndham Alexandria and some of the panhandle resorts next.

Another nice feature is if you can travel off season, I've found that Wyndham often reduces the point requirements within about 60 days of check-in (not Hawaii though - must be red time all the time there).

Another nice option if you can travel off season is RCI's Last Calls (since you should have a regular RCI account included with your maintenance fees). I sometimes see Sheraton Vistana 2 bedrooms off season in Orlando on RCI Last Call for under $300 for the week.

Reaction score
I would love to upgrade my points, but it's next to impossible right now. The "Charity" auctions, where the seller pays all the fees, is always low up until 5 seconds before it ends, then someone bids super-high. Others require high ($400+) Closing Costs and/or the $299 (sometimes they have TWO contracts, meaning $598) Transfer Fee. One I saw had NO Closing Costs and NO Transfer Fees... but the buyer had to pay a $299 "Convenience Fee".

I'd gladly take someone's Wyndham points off their hands, and will pay a portion of the transfer fees, or buy an inexpensive eBay auction - if there were any!

TS

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to upgrade my points, but it's next to impossible right now. The "Charity" auctions, where the seller pays all the fees, is always low up until 5 seconds before it ends, then someone bids super-high. Others require high ($400+) Closing Costs and/or the $299 (sometimes they have TWO contracts, meaning $598) Transfer Fee. One I saw had NO Closing Costs and NO Transfer Fees... but the buyer had to pay a $299 "Convenience Fee".

I'd gladly take someone's Wyndham points off their hands, and will pay a portion of the transfer fees, or buy an inexpensive eBay auction - if there were any!

TS

The auctions asking for a "convenience fee" are usually ones where the fees have been paid and you have a week available to you.....not a bad deal

The run up in bids at the last minute are probley guys like me that use a sniping service...I set my price and forget it..my bids are made in the last seconds, and I either get it or not...takes the emotion out of the decision

I think you are right the Wyndham auctions have come off the bottom, but they are still cheap...Dont be afraid to pay a little for something you want for ARP or for low mf...Remember the purchase price and closing costs are a one time expense, the benefit you want is forever (or until the mf goes up)

Reaction score
Agreed, I would not trade my 128000 points - and the Closing Costs and Transfer Fees paid - for anything. I don't NEED to upgrade, as being creative can net us 10 days of vacations in 2012. Just looking at a small # of points (49k-105k) to assist with RTs in 2013 and beyond.

TS

antjmar

Reaction score

TS

If I find the contract I am looking for (want ARP) I will get rid of my Palm Aire contract its 154K UDI contract I think 2012 mf is about 5.8 per K. I wont give it away till after the summer since I have some pending reservations and need to buy more points!.

Rondo1369

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone. I can usually travel off season as I prefer to goplaces when crowds are low. I live in the northeast and it nice that Wyndham has several resorts within a days drive to do a few weekend trips. I think Wyndham would be a good fit for me. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good ebay deal and pull the trigger.

Thanks again,
Ron

Reaction score
Actually, I just won some points tonight! It's 128000 Biennial Odd points (1/1/13) at Star Island, no closing or transfer fees - in addition to my current 128000 points (before confirmations).

antjmar

Reaction score
Actually, I just won some points tonight! It's 128000 Biennial Odd points (1/1/13) at Star Island, no closing or transfer fees - in addition to my current 128000 points (before confirmations).

Congrats! :cheer: no closing and transfer fees are rare!