• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie question Hilton timeshare

bandm1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had a timeshare presentation from Hilton (Parc Soleil Orlando) yesterday. The day before was researching, and found this site, which made me back off from purchasing.

Agent was nice and friendly, and was upfront about the maintenance fees (we had gone to a different one a few years back, where the agent tried to hide the fact that there was annual costs)

Started off asking for 42k for 5000 points, when i said no, went down to 3400 for 22k and then somehow they "found" a new deal for 3500 for 11k (Deeded to a 2 bedroom at the resort). Annual Maintenance $1375.

They also mentioned that once someone is a member then they can pretty much book anywhere with RCI and get a vacation week for about $299 (i believe).

I didn't end up buying, but was wondering what peoples thoughts were.

1: Was that a good deal? (3500 points for 11k)?

Is the ability to rent weeks for $299 form RCI real? That seems to be a great perk, and can use that to book vacations for friends.

Thanks in advance and appreciate the community and the help!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hi all,

Had a timeshare presentation from Hilton (Parc Soleil Orlando) yesterday. The day before was researching, and found this site, which made me back off from purchasing.

Agent was nice and friendly, and was upfront about the maintenance fees (we had gone to a different one a few years back, where the agent tried to hide the fact that there was annual costs)

Started off asking for 42k for 5000 points, when i said no, went down to 3400 for 22k and then somehow they "found" a new deal for 3500 for 11k (Deeded to a 2 bedroom at the resort). Annual Maintenance $1375.

They also mentioned that once someone is a member then they can pretty much book anywhere with RCI and get a vacation week for about $299 (i believe).

Is the ability to rent weeks for $299 form RCI real? That seems to be a great perk, and can use that to book vacations for friends.

first, thank god you found TUG. You just saved thousands! Second, always buy resale!

Not a good deal at all, you would have thrown away thousands! ...... the RCI is most likely referring to the exchange deposit fee. Also, HGVC is going to be a step above most RCI resorts.

I recommend that you first ask yourself, are you going to plan quite a few months in advance? If so, ownership has benefits. Next, why Hilton? Because you happened to be there or get a deal to sit in a presentation? I’d look at why you’re leaning toward Hilton. There are other systems. Vistana, Marriott, Hyatt, Wyndham etc. I own vistana and there are different ownerships to get with vistana, same as Marriott. I’d take a look at the systems and the locations and ask yourself can you see yourself going to certain locations over another? If you’re set on Hilton then buy resale! If you buy vistana make sure it’s a mandatory deed so the use of star options transfer on resale.Which brings up another point. Check here and ask a ton of questions on what restrictions resale has. Some resorts or phases in resorts on resale don’t receive the same benefits. With that being said. Research the different systems, once you have the one you want to own in, find an expert and post a few questions in that systems board and sit back and learn a ton. THEN buy resale

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@Grammarhero does this count in the “ I found this site and decided to not pull the trigger”? I’d count the 11K saved by TUG!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Hi all,

Terrible deal. Can probably be bought for $3k.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Grammarhero does this count in the “ I found this site and decided to not pull the trigger”? I’d count the 11K saved by TUG!
I think Brian wants rescission stats, so unfortunately not. Appreciate all your help though!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think Brian wants rescission stats, so unfortunately not. Appreciate all your help though!
Makes sense. We should start a side column for “ I was going to buy but googled and found tug so I walked away”

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Congratulations on finding TUg. For that price you can buy a Platinum season and have nearly double the points. Please read the HGVC Stickies so you will know what and where to buy.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Makes sense. We should start a side column for “ I was going to buy but googled and found tug so I walked away”
@TUGBrian thoughts? I also support @CPNY as Co-Rescission Master. He’s been very helpful and learning about all the different rescission rules in the different states.

Last edited:

bandm1

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, and yes really glad i found this site!

I did a IHG one a few years back. and didn't like the sales pitch (as mentioned above, the agent tried to hide the costs.) - and the Hilton was just because they offered us a deal :)

For the RCI they said its nothing to do with the points. Even if you have used them you still have the ability to pay $299 and book a suite (subject to inventory)

I mentioned that I can buy resale, and he said it was a fair point, but that through resale you can only go to that resort and cannot trade points in to go to another resort.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thank you for your replies, and yes really glad i found this site!

I did a IHG one a few years back. and didn't like the sales pitch (as mentioned above, the agent tried to hide the costs.) - and the Hilton was just because they offered us a deal :)

For the RCI they said its nothing to do with the points. Even if you have used them you still have the ability to pay $299 and book a suite (subject to inventory)

I mentioned that I can buy resale, and he said it was a fair point, but that through resale you can only go to that resort and cannot trade points in to go to another resort.
He lied. But also why I said it’s important to understand what system and contract you’re looking at resale because some will have restrictions. His blanket dismissal is wrong. There are some you have the same rights as developer purchase. Also, when a sales person starts using exchange companies as a sales tactic they lost. Don’t count on that. While it can be great, if you’re not committed to searching and flexibility you could be at a terrible exchanged resort. I’m not too familiar with RCI. I’m actually trying to learn the system as well. I know Interval sells “getaways” which can be great. Two weeks ago I bought a 2 bedroom for 550 at Marriott in Orlando. Ones that are 299 are places I’d never stay. Can I ask, which locations would you be interested in going to?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hi all,

Welcome to Tug, glad you found us in time.

From my experience you should be able to get 3400-3500 points for free. I have also found 5000 points for free.

Stick around, learn, this way you know what you want and need and watch the bargain section and with patience and knowledge you will get what you want.

bandm1

Reaction score
He lied. But also why I said it’s important to understand what system and contract you’re looking at resale because some will have restrictions. His blanket dismissal is wrong. There are some you have the same rights as developer purchase. Also, when a sales person starts using exchange companies as a sales tactic they lost. Don’t count on that. While it can be great, if you’re not committed to searching and flexibility you could be at a terrible exchanged resort. I’m not too familiar with RCI. I’m actually trying to learn the system as well. I know Interval sells “getaways” which can be great. Two weeks ago I bought a 2 bedroom for 550 at Marriott in Orlando. Ones that are 299 are places I’d never stay. Can I ask, which locations would you be interested in going to?

Thank you, we are pretty flexible for most things, really wherever warm place (in USA) we can get cheap tickets to :)

Family of 5, so need some space,.

Thank you so much for that information, i'll need to check into the systems a lot more :)

bandm1

Reaction score
Welcome to Tug, glad you found us in time.

From my experience you should be able to get 3400-3500 points for free. I have also found 5000 points for free.

Stick around, learn, this way you know what you want and need and watch the bargain section and with patience and knowledge you will get what you want.

Thanks!

You seem to have own/ed a bunch of them. :)

Do you like them? recommend them?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thank you, we are pretty flexible for most things, really wherever warm place (in USA) we can get cheap tickets to :)

Family of 5, so need some space,.

Thank you so much for that information, i'll need to check into the systems a lot more :)
What part of the country do you live in?
Marriott warm places.... Aruba, St Thomas, Florida, and others
Vistana mandatory resorts.... St John, Atlantis Bahamas, Florida, SC, Mexico, Hawaii, AZ, CA
HGVC A ton in FL, HI, SC, CA, Mexico...etc

check the resorts and locations then buy in

bandm1

Reaction score
Vistana mandatory resorts.... St John, Atlantis Bahamas, Florida, SC, Mexico, Hawaii, AZ, CA

Toronto Canada.

Pretty much everywhere else is warmer i guess

bandm1

Reaction score

We usually go to Florida or California

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thanks!

Toronto Canada.

shocked you don’t want Caribbean. Canadians love the Caribbean, I guess it’s always so cold up there Eh? Lol. Hilton has a lot of Florida resorts, but if you’re gonna fly, I’d go with vistana. The kids will love St. John, Bahamas, Cancun and Hawaii..... so will you. But if Florida and CA are are goal then I think HGVC has the most in those locations.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Thanks!

Yes I do like hgvc. I am going to one of hgvc’s Captiva properties next week. Only problem is now I have too many. As I said watch the bargain section.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Definitely research the Systems. Read. Read. Read. We are SoCal and family of 7. Own w/in MVC family, HGVC affiliate, and an Independent. As @Panina suggested, check the Bargain section. I was able to pick up 2 of our TS for free as well as give away one or 2.

Worldmark is primarily Western US and I believe has CDN locations as well. HGVC is both Coast, International as well as Hawaii. MVC, which includes Vistana and Hyatt, is national and Carribean as well as Mexico. Almost everyone has affiliate relationships s. And then there are the Independents. So do your diligence. Rent until you are sure so you don’t make the costly mistake of buying the wrong location/season.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Toronto Canada.

Ah Toronto, our USA city. i'm from the good capital in Ontario :)

I spend the 6 months of winter mostly in Florida and CA (also AZand HI). I use Diamond Resorts (400 locations) and Raintree Vacation Club. Everyone has different needs so research and then pick up what you need for free.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My suggestions:

1. Rent a couple of times. It will focus you on what is important, what you like, and what level of amenities you want to pay for. Take your time; resale prices aren't going up while you do this painless research.

2. Before you buy, make sure you have an exit plan. If a unit is being given away today, shouldn't you expect to have a difficult time disposing of it when the time comes?

3. When it's time to buy, don't obsess in the slightest if a deal you wanted doesn't happen, regardless of why. There will be another unit, exactly the same, soon enough.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I agree with what others have posted, research the different TS systems to determine the best fit for you. I love the flexibility of HGVC, but it might not be the best fit for you.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

This was probably RCI’s Last Call. These are last minute weeks they couldn’t book that are in the low season. It’s a good benefit if you can use it, it’s not why you should purchase. Any RCI membership has that ability.

Not true. I only bought resale and I have never stayed there. Going to Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach this summer.