• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie question: can you use a resale Marriott week to book at other MVC properties w/o MVC points?

cngriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
So as I am learning more and more about both Marriott and Hilton's programs, I have more and more questions... :) This forum is such a great resource. Thank you members for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Anyway, I have learned that that MVC's point system is not available to those who buy "legacy" Marriott weeks through resale channels. I have also learned that buying MVC points thru resale is subject to paying Marriott that $3/pp junk fee. So buying 3000-4000 MVC points can cost $25k+ it seems by the time you add it all up.

But since resales of legacy Marriott weeks seems so much less expensive than buying MVC points, is it possible to buy, for example, a 2BR/2BA at Marriott Grand Vista and then use that to book 2BR/2BA at other MVC properties? Since there would be no points, would you do it through II? Just trying to wrap my head around how best to use a Marriott "legacy" week if we were to go that way.

Edit: since I am not a TS owner yet, I just have no idea how the "exchange" works in II or RCI.

Edit #2: this probably seems like a dumb or obvious question - sorry! I just want to make sure I understand.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You can exchange through II for $159, I think, Marriott-to-Marriott exchange.

There is a process for buying resales and then buying something with Marriott direct to enroll your weeks you bought resale. The more you need to enroll, the more expensive the cost to enroll. It's something I have considered. I would have to really think about it, but we travel 22 weeks a year and love Marriott, and we can afford it. What I cannot afford is going to a Marriott presentation and buy without knowing anything about it, so I am constantly asking questions. I don't trust salespeople.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
So as I am learning more and more about both Marriott and Hilton's programs, I have more and more questions... :) This forum is such a great resource. Thank you members for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

Anyway, I have learned that that MVC's point system is not available to those who buy "legacy" Marriott weeks through resale channels. I have also learned that buying MVC points thru resale is subject to paying Marriott that $3/pp junk fee. So buying 3000-4000 MVC points can cost $25k+ it seems by the time you add it all up.

But since resales of legacy Marriott weeks seems so much less expensive than buying MVC points, is it possible to buy, for example, a 2BR/2BA at Marriott Grand Vista and then use that to book 2BR/2BA at other MVC properties? Since there would be no points, would you do it through II? Just trying to wrap my head around how best to use a Marriott "legacy" week if we were to go that way.

Edit: since I am not a TS owner yet, I just have no idea how the "exchange" works in II or RCI.

Edit #2: this probably seems like a dumb or obvious question - sorry! I just want to make sure I understand.

Thanks in advance!

With a legacy week you would either use it or exchange via II.

You can also rent it out and use that cash to rent from someone else.

Looks like you’re doing your homework - nice job so far. A+!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So as I am learning more and more...
All good questions. If you buy a resale MVC week and wish to trade it through II, then you purchase an II membership (which has different prices at different levels and durations) and pay various fees for trading. Or as @DanCali said, you could instead reserve your week, rent it out, and avoid trading altogether.

The trick to II is that it is completely unlike booking a hotel room (or even a points based timeshare reservation...which you haven't done). You cast your net of acceptable resorts and dates as wide as possible and hope and wait for someone to deposit a week that matches. Then make your travel plans to match. Having had meagre results, I try to avoid II like the plague. Others enjoy the sport of getting to stay in amazing vacation locations for a pittance.

Getting back to your situation, trading into Orlando - even restricted by the school calendar - should be easy. You may not even need to trade anything, but instead take advantage of an II Accommodations Certificate or Getaway that would give you a week in Orlando for a modest fee.

Getting into the Florida Gulf during President's Week, Easter, and/or Christmas would be difficult but I would expect the summer shouldn't be too bad...it's a low season down there. And while I honestly have no idea about the difficulty booking into the Caribbean, my expectation is that it is similar to the Gulf - the three weeks I mentioned would be well nigh impossible but the Summer should be doable.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is if you exchange on II view is not guaranteed- you may or may not get the view associated with the II exchange- it is up to the resort. No big deal of course for Orlando, but that might matter to you on oceanfront resorts. If you deposit as soon as you can and place a reasonable request as far in advance as possible ( ideally 12-13 months) MVC priority is really helpful in helping get your exchange.
If view is important or you want to travel more or less than a week points might be a consideration.
I have had success for 10+ years exchanging around school break by requesting early. I own MVC Orlando.

cngriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another maybe obvious question - if I owned a “legacy” week and traded it through II, can I only trade full week for full week? In other words, can I trade my week for a couple of 3 or 4 day vacations? If not I guess that is one advantage of MVC points vs Marriott weeks, right? With points I can book by the day or week.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Another maybe obvious question - if I owned a “legacy” week and traded it through II, can I only trade full week for full week? In other words, can I trade my week for a couple of 3 or 4 day vacations? If not I guess that is one advantage of MVC points vs Marriott weeks, right? With points I can book by the day or week.

I never used this but I believe II has a ShortStay exchange feature that allows you to trade a week for two stays of 1-6 nights (for 2 exchanges fees) but most of that inventory is available within 30 days of checkin and it's not likely to be in peak seasons. It's available for Gold or Platinum members.

Points are definitely a lot more flexible. That flexibility comes at a cost of course. Many of us were lucky to have pre-2010 weeks that we could enroll in the program for a relatively minor fee which allows us to enjoy the flexibility of points without the relatively large upfront and ongoing expenses that come with that these days.

cngriffin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - makes me wish I had purchased a week or two back in 2007 when I first started looking into this!

I had said in another thread that we were primarily focused on Orlando and FL Gulf Coast, but as my wife and I talk about it more, I think we are realizing that we are probably more interested in a couple of 3-4 day vacations each year at a variety of locations and at random times during the year both in the US and internationally. Some kind of point system like MVC or HGVC seems like a good fit.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Thanks everyone - makes me wish I had purchased a week or two back in 2007 when I first started looking into this!

I had said in another thread that we were primarily focused on Orlando and FL Gulf Coast, but as my wife and I talk about it more, I think we are realizing that we are probably more interested in a couple of 3-4 day vacations each year at a variety of locations and at random times during the year both in the US and internationally. Some kind of point system like MVC or HGVC seems like a good fit.

You may also want to take a look at the Vistana system (which will be allegedly integrated with the Marriott points system later this year). That was formerly known as the Starwood Vacation Network and includes Westins, Sheratons, and the Harborside Resort at Atlantis. Vistana has its own internal points system and due to an oversight from the early years there are a handful or resorts where you can buy resale and still use the internal points system to trade (aka "mandatory" resorts). You can also use II to trade, but the Vistana system offers quite a few internal trading options which can access as a mandatory resort owner (no Gulf Coast though).

You can visit that forum and read the stickies which are somewhat dated but quite informative.

Vistana Resorts:

1652326419849.png

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is any consolation, we bought our first MVC timeshare in 2013 and the rest in 2017. They are a mixed of enrolled weeks and points. We like MVC but we do so much II exchanges that we sometimes wonder if we would have done better if we had just bought resale weeks and keep them unenrolled.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
To add, many of the MVC resorts allow you to split for 2 weeks if they have lock offs and many also allow you to split into a 3 & 4 day stay. You can't do both, so you can't lock off and do the 3/4 day stay both, not through MVC directly. The other thing to mention is that there are 5 resorts in the Florida Club where you can make reservations at other resorts in that group. That option is subject to availability at 6 months out (7 in limited situations) and still within the season owned. Also, it is possible to enroll resale weeks but it does require an additional resale purchase which is usually not worth it though if you end up with 5 weeks or more, it may be reasonable to do so.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...But as my wife and I talk about it more, I think we are realizing that we are probably more interested in a couple of 3-4 day vacations each year at a variety of locations and at random times during the year both in the US and internationally. Some kind of point system like MVC or HGVC seems like a good fit.
Indeed...sounds like a plan.

Now you're back to the basic questions of which offers access to the locations you desire at a price that makes sense for you. And if you are willing and able to book 9 months (HGVC) or 12/13 months (MVCI) in advance to secure the dates and resorts you desire.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
No matter points or weeks, an Interval International membership comes with occasional accommodation certificates, getaways and short stay getaways. If you have flexibility in when and where you travel these are all ways to take incremental vacations without impacting the use or trading of your ownership.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
With respect to Interval deposits and trades, has anything been said about eventually depositing/exchanging less than a week? For example, a 5 day points reservation.

I do not think there is an exchange vehicle for less than a week other than a rental through Redweek.

lkc1234

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is any consolation, we bought our first MVC timeshare in 2013 and the rest in 2017. They are a mixed of enrolled weeks and points. We like MVC but we do so much II exchanges that we sometimes wonder if we would have done better if we had just bought resale weeks and keep them unenrolled.
I own Marriott weeks I bought as resale and I also bought Sheraton weeks in Myrtle Beach on the resale market. We love Hilton Head so I trade my Sheratin weeks in II for Marriott weeks in Hilton Head. We will be staying in Hilton Head for 6 weeks this summer. Since Marriott bought Vistana it is much easier to trade the Sheraton units into Marriott units.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With respect to Interval deposits and trades, has anything been said about eventually depositing/exchanging less than a week? For example, a 5 day points reservation.

I do not think there is an exchange vehicle for less than a week other than a rental through Redweek.
I haven't heard anything and can't imagine they would ever allow such deposits by members. When I've looked at shorter stays with RCI, it almost always is not reasonable due to the added housekeepings costs.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Very doubtful. You can at least do Shortstay getaways.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

There are short stay exchanges.
Limited locations.
See the II faq for details.

AstrosFan1313

TUG Member
Reaction score
All good questions. If you buy a resale MVC week and wish to trade it through II, then you purchase an II membership (which has different prices at different levels and durations) and pay various fees for trading. Or as @DanCali said, you could instead reserve your week, rent it out, and avoid trading altogether.

The trick to II is that it is completely unlike booking a hotel room (or even a points based timeshare reservation...which you haven't done). You cast your net of acceptable resorts and dates as wide as possible and hope and wait for someone to deposit a week that matches. Then make your travel plans to match. Having had meagre results, I try to avoid II like the plague. Others enjoy the sport of getting to stay in amazing vacation locations for a pittance.

Getting back to your situation, trading into Orlando - even restricted by the school calendar - should be easy. You may not even need to trade anything, but instead take advantage of an II Accommodations Certificate or Getaway that would give you a week in Orlando for a modest fee.

Getting into the Florida Gulf during President's Week, Easter, and/or Christmas would be difficult but I would expect the summer shouldn't be too bad...it's a low season down there. And while I honestly have no idea about the difficulty booking into the Caribbean, my expectation is that it is similar to the Gulf - the three weeks I mentioned would be well nigh impossible but the Summer should be doable.

Would trade be the best solution if one buys a Platinum week that would normally be best for ski season but you occasionally want to book a summer vacation (that is usually Gold or Silver week) at the home resort? Or if you buy a Gold week and want to book a Fall vacation (that is normally a Silver week) at the home resort?
In other words, I’ve read the threads saying you can’t book out of season, but if you wanted to book out of season, even if it is a “less desirable” season, you have to exchange. What, then, would be the best way to do that if you’re hoping to still book your week at the home resort? I like familiarity so staying at the same place more often than not would be my preference, even if we end up purchasing an EOY type of week.
Looking at different weeks in Colorado and Utah (mainly Marriott and Hilton) for reference.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would trade be the best solution if one buys a Platinum week that would normally be best for ski season but you occasionally want to book a summer vacation (that is usually Gold or Silver week) at the home resort? Or if you buy a Gold week and want to book a Fall vacation (that is normally a Silver week) at the home resort?
In other words, I’ve read the threads saying you can’t book out of season, but if you wanted to book out of season, even if it is a “less desirable” season, you have to exchange. What, then, would be the best way to do that if you’re hoping to still book your week at the home resort? I like familiarity so staying at the same place more often than not would be my preference, even if we end up purchasing an EOY type of week.
Looking at different weeks in Colorado and Utah (mainly Marriott and Hilton) for reference.

I would rent out the platinum ski week for a profit and then use the proceeds to book the less desirable and I assume cheaper week you want in a particular year. Or even just look for a getaway week as well.

Or if you have a resort that locks off you could almost certainly trade a ski studio week for a 2BR Summer or Fall week at one of the mountain resorts and then you could either use the 1BR ski week or rent it as well.

AstrosFan1313

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would rent out the platinum ski week for a profit and then use the proceeds to book the less desirable and I assume cheaper week you want in a particular year. Or even just look for a getaway week as well.

Or if you have a resort that locks off you could almost certainly trade a ski studio week for a 2BR Summer or Fall week at one of the mountain resorts and then you could either use the 1BR ski week or rent it as well.

The large majority of the platinum weeks for sale on Redweek and elsewhere we have seen are the 2 BR lock off so I appreciate this idea. I never would have thought of this.
Certainly would be a great way to get the most out of our vacations!
Thanks!